• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Polar Bear Café 09
PWrtD.gif
KfFra.gif
RgDzf.gif
Panda moé? Panda moé.

How old is Penguin supposed to be? It's difficult to say because THEY ARE FUCKING ANIMALS.

Now you can join the Hisa x Mihoko bandwagon!
Along with everyone else?

(Though Hisa/Mako's not bad either... I wish Mako got more screen time, she deserved it darnit. The same goes for Arata in Achiga-hen, who basically took her role of "good character who gets the least amount of screentime".)

Eh, if you don't like mahjong (or yuri, apparently), there's not much to the show. That said, it has much more character development that Chihayafuru. :p
That's true, certainly a lot more character development in Saki.

Milky Holmes 06

Overdosing on cute.

Wow, this episode was ridiculously high in energy. Like super high.

It was going a mile a minute for more than the first half and the end was basically soap opera level twists. Still very fun to watch.
The series has some episodes like that... crazy fun.

Well, a woman's gotta eat and she knows what the nerds want. But hey, maybe it's also autobiographical! :p
I don't know if we actually know what Ritz looks like, but the 2d characterizations of her look a lot like Arata.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Polar Bear Café 09
Panda moé? Panda moé.

How old is Penguin supposed to be? It's difficult to say because THEY ARE FUCKING ANIMALS.
I assume he's an older man based on how he's the straight man most of the time. At the very least, he seems to be the same age as Polar Bear and Polar Bear seems like someone who would be in his 30s. lol

I don't know if we actually know what Ritz looks like, but the 2d characterizations of her look a lot like Arata.
If there's an author insert, she'd have to be Saki. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Along with everyone else?

(Though Hisa/Mako's not bad either... I wish Mako got more screen time, she deserved it darnit. The same goes for Arata in Achiga-hen, who basically took her role of "good character who gets the least amount of screentime".)

Mako is even less of a character than tako/taco girl though. :p

That's a lot of Saki watching overnight. But there's wasn't much tile smashing going in those posts. : (
Hisa's tile flip is still the most hype moment of Evo the mahjong tournament.

sasuke takes naruto
checkmate

"I… lost."

Huh?

Naruto grabbed Sasuke by the collar and yanked him forward. Sasuke stumbled, knocking the pieces over in an effort to keep from falling. All of a sudden, he felt Naruto's lips press firmly against his and he tensed up. Naruto faltered, thinking Sasuke was uncomfortable with his impromptu decision to kiss him for the first time. Sasuke bringing his hands up to deepen the kiss told him otherwise.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Finally caught up with something else.

Hyouka 10:

I wonder how Satoshi's seething envy toward Houtarou's talents is going to play out in future episodes. The mysteries still bore me to tears, so I wouldn't mind a couple of episodes that put more emphasis on advancing character relationships.

Hyouka 11:

Dude, Houtarou,
if you really didn't have any self-confidence before you received praise from that megabitch Irisu
, I don't know what to say.

Hyouka 11.5:

Houtarou should be glad that this is an anime, because a rich, outgoing girl like Eru wouldn't hang around his gloomy ass for three seconds if this was real life.

Hyouka 12:

Stellar animation, lots of antics, and definitely the least-boring episode yet. I love that their most difficult mystery yet is how to sell 200 copies of a book that no one cares about, ololol. They really should have just had Eru going around the school peddling them in a bikini and they'd be sold out in minutes.

Mayaka totally needs to ditch those Manga Lab losers. Cosplaying as a Vocaloid character in Japan is probably like going to a con in nekomimi or as a Naruto character in the west.

Are there any animes about shogi

Shion no Ou, I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sign me up!
I'm really amazed how one short flashback scene basically exploded the franchise and made Hisa x Mihoko the best coupling. You never know what the fans will run with. lol

Finally caught up with something else.

Hyouka 11.5:

Houtarou should be glad that this is an anime, because a rich, outgoing girl like Eru wouldn't hang around his gloomy ass for three seconds if this was real life.
He's special yo.
She's the Cuddy to his House.

Kuromajo 13

i don't remember this scene happening at all in cinderella
I don't think it does either, but it was pretty amusing to see. Good episode as always!

Are there any animes about shogi
Shion no Ou is about shogi, isn't it? Among other things like mysteries
and a crossdressing guy

Yep. Gaf was down for a bit so that's why some episodes were missing posts for them.
Ah, right. You didn't prepare anything in the interim, then.

Sign me up!
Watch Achiga-hen (after the Saki picture dramas),
Hisa and Captain are in the same room in eps 12-13!

I assume he's an older man based on how he's the straight man most of the time. At the very least, he seems to be the same age as Polar Bear and Polar Bear seems like someone who would be in his 30s. lol
Yeah, that makes sense for Penguin.

If there's an author insert, she'd have to be Saki. :p
Personality-wise, perhaps, but Arata seems to be the one who looks like the 2d versions of Ritz in terms of looks.

That's a lot of Saki watching overnight. But there's wasn't much tile smashing going in those posts. : (
I like the pictures chosen, but yeah, I'd have added a bunch of mahjong ones too. That stuff's great as well.

Mako is even less of a character than tako/taco girl though. :p
But she has green hair, and the few scenes she gets are often good... and hey, Yuki has some character. I do find her kind of annoying a bit too often, but she's not entirely one-note...

Hisa's tile flip is still the most hype moment of Evo the mahjong tournament.
I don't know, Saki had some moments too. Rinshan Kaihou!

Heroman 11

That was cool when Heroman flew over the sister, as well as her song. If Im reading right it gets a new opening and ending in the next episodes, so Ill miss both Calling and Roulette.

Risette

A Good Citizen
"I… lost."

Huh?

Naruto grabbed Sasuke by the collar and yanked him forward. Sasuke stumbled, knocking the pieces over in an effort to keep from falling. All of a sudden, he felt Naruto's lips press firmly against his and he tensed up. Naruto faltered, thinking Sasuke was uncomfortable with his impromptu decision to kiss him for the first time. Sasuke bringing his hands up to deepen the kiss told him otherwise.
A Studio DEEN show about a moe mute girl who plays Shogi. Sounds like pizzaroll would love it.
floor4.gif

I shouldn't have asked.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki Picture Drama - 02

Oh man another pair to ship? Maybe I just missed it in the show but I never thought of Ikeda and Miharun as a possible couple.

Branduil

Gunslinger Girl 4

ibk7SQ4USFeMfa.jpg

Look it's not our fault that we don't know what to get you if you don't tell us.

This episode develops the character of Triela, who so far we have seen as acting as a kind of mother hen for the other girls. She's a bit different from the other girls; not only is she older, but her handler, Hirscher, refuses to brainwash her as much as the other girls. As a result, she's much more independent than the other cyborgs.

Of course, this show being what it is, that's not without its drawbacks, such as a greater ability to contemplate her own situation. In the end, though, the outcome of this episode, and the subplot involving a former mafia member, are decidedly more optimistic than the previous one.

This scene felt like some kind of biting satire of the "cute girls talking about cute things" genre.

iHXjsQ6nePUMw.jpg

ibz5OHfKhIJw21.jpg

ibq8bQtwpcBDdJ.jpg

i67YSBY1Cs4r9.jpg

ibgA55UNbYTQQ3.jpg

It is rather nice that the show treats all of its characters like actual human beings with goals and desires. That's not to say there isn't any fanservice, though. Just look at all these sexy 2D drawings:

Oh yeah.

A Studio DEEN show about a moe mute girl who plays Shogi. Sounds like pizzaroll would love it.

eh...

I do recall shit getting quite fucked up. QUITE FUCKED UP. mute girl wasn't always mute.

Shion was more... hikaru no go, while Saki is more... yugioh (power of yuri over friendship though) in terms of presentation.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Are mammals, reptiles, and aves the only animal classes capable of sentient thought in Polar Bear Café? Why are aves incapable of human speech then? Because the idea of treating fish as food while not the rest of the animals has been bothering me for a while. Adn what about Polar Bear and Grizzly's non-nonchalant attitude towards discussing the consumption of seals and walruses? Are those species deemed inferior and only fit for the sustenance of others according to the show's society? Or are Polar Bear and Grizzly closet racists? Are they a couple? Cause they look like a couple too.

Grzi

Finished Horizon S1. It was fun, looking forward to the second season.
But now it's time for the next backlog show:
motherfucking K-On S2
!

Are mammals, reptiles, and aves the only animal classes capable of sentient thought in Polar Bear Café[/B]? Why are aves incapable of human speech then? Because the idea of treating fish as food while not the rest of the animals has been bothering me for a while. Adn what about Polar Bear and Grizzly's non-nonchalant attitude towards discussing the consumption of seals and walruses? Are those species deemed inferior and only fit for the sustenance of others according to the show's society? Or are Polar Bear and Grizzly closet racists? Are they a couple? Cause they look like a couple too.

It's the Pluto conundrum.

flawfuls

I'm not saying it's good, but that is definitely painting a false picture. Shion is more like a melodramtic old shoujo manga then Saki. I mean she is mute because is traumatized after seeing her parents killed.

Are mammals, reptiles, and aves the only animal classes capable of sentient thought in Polar Bear Café? Why are aves incapable of human speech then? Because the idea of treating fish as food while not the rest of the animals has been bothering me for a while. Adn what about Polar Bear and Grizzly's non-nonchalant attitude towards discussing the consumption of seals and walruses? Are those species deemed inferior and only fit for the sustenance of others according to the show's society? Or are Polar Bear and Grizzly closet racists? Are they a couple? Cause they look like a couple too.

Birds don't have lips.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Alas, if only Mamoru Oshii had spent his time at DEEN in the 80s directing an anime about a mute moeblob shogi-playing prodigy.

Actually, you know, I'd rather not...
We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice. If the moeblob also had a voice, she would have screamed, "I didn't want to be animated by Studio DEEN."

God, I actually had this (or the real quote, rather) memorized. I'm way beyond the crazy fan stage, aren't I? :(

We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice. If the moeblob also had a voice, she would have screamed, "I didn't want to be animated by Studio DEEN."

God, I actually had this (or the real quote, rather) memorized. I'm way beyond the crazy fan stage, aren't I? :(
I laughed way too hard at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom