• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Binbougami-ga 02

Last week I said this show reminded me of a sedate Excel Saga. Today I'll add that it's also like a more energetic Hayate no Gotoku!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 15:

The historical Mogami Yoshiaki fought alongside Date Masamune at the battle of Sekigahara.

Sengoku Collection Mogami Yoshiaki relies on Masamune to clean her sheets when she pisses the bed.

q3tCUl.jpg

[screams internally]

Sengoku loli is afraid of ghosts but is forced to spend a night in a haunted house. Antics ensue. Also wtf ACTUAL CONTINUITY with Masamune appearing again after being on the run from the law since episode four. Somehow, that loli is Masamune's aunt. Yeah...

Mogami comes in striking distance for worst costume design behind Uesugi's floating wings and Imagawa's underboob fatigues thanks to the insane combination of school mizugi and detached miko sleeves. That girl from WataMote also made an appearance in this episode, apparently!

SDBurton would probably enjoy this episode, too. In fact, the yuri quotient has risen noticeably in the past couple of episodes.

And for anyone who enjoyed episode five,
Ashikaga Yoshiteru
is the girl of the week next episode! Will there be any continuity from that episode? We'll have to see.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bimbougami ga! 02

The humor still isn’t exactly resonating with me. It’s a lot of exaggerated slapstick and screaming and just feels much more loud and chaotic than it is actually funny. I would enjoy this a lot more if there was just a little restraint.

Just so that I don’t spend a lot of the backlog season on something I’ll regret, is the humor in Gintama similar to the humor in this show? If it strongly resembles Bimbougami ga!’s humor, it just might not be for me.

Has Sengoku Collection improved to watchable status?

If you already found redeeming qualities in the Tokugawa Ieyasu episode, you would almost certainly cruise through the rest with no problem.

Soma

Binbougami Ga! Episode 2

whBy9.gif

Oh man.

Another good episode. Loved Bobby's introduction and that action scene was awesome.

I cracked up at that after credits scene too. Good stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Bimbougami ga! 02

The humor still isn’t exactly resonating with me. It’s a lot of exaggerated slapstick and screaming and just feels much more loud and chaotic than it is actually funny. I would enjoy this a lot more if there was just a little restraint.

Just so that I don’t spend a lot of the backlog season on something I’ll regret, is the humor in Gintama similar to the humor in this show? If it strongly resembles Bimbougami ga!’s humor, it just might not be for me.

If you already found redeeming qualities in the Tokugawa Ieyasu episode, you would almost certainly cruise through the rest with no problem.

Ieyasu is an adorable little thing.

Jex

Hix? Is that you, Hix?

aka please don't tell me you're watching FMA Brotherhood in the wrong aspect ratio Jexhius...

When I screencap anything in MediaPlayerClassic this is the result, I'm afraid. It's certainly not the ration I'm viewing anime at (sorry, Hix).
Bimbougami ga! 02

Not really, no.

(If I was going to be a troll I'd say that Gintama manages to be funny)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Binbougami ga! 2

This is more of a smile-inducing show than a laugh-inducing show. I don't laugh at all the jokes, but you can bet I'm having fun.

Sakura's moe as hell. Dang. And I absolutely adore that ED.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not really, no.

(If I was going to be a troll I'd say that Gintama manages to be funny)

That's reassuring enough for me to proceed as planned with my soon-to-be marathon.

Not a chance, I'm afraid the lighthearted villain has forever left us.

Intentionally watches shows in bad aspect ratio and then leaves the 24/7 party of AnimeGAF to engage in the drudgery of srsbns OT discussion? He was a strange fellow to the end :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 90

8ojzP.jpg

Finally, I know the source of half of Mad Pierrot's avatars!

The opening episode is a Rei episode? I can already tell this will be good! This was a very packed episode, lots of stuff was introduced. First off, there's the new villain(s)!

d99x7.jpg

He's quite creepy, in case you can't tell by the screenshots, and has a pretty awesome voice. Also he makes weird stuff in some underground laboratory. And wears a white lab coat. So he's already fulfilled about 9/10's of the "What makes an awesome villain" checklist.

Anyway, surprisingly enough, Rei is the main character of this episode.
She has a dream where all the other Sailors are turned into stone and get blasted to bits in a giant explosion. Yeah, a pretty attention grabbing way to start! She gets so bothered by this that she ends up being nice to Usagi and encouraging her, to the surprise of Usagi. Meanwhile, Mr. Villain has made something to extract pure hearts to search for talismans to help uncover the Holy grail. It's quite complicated. Anyway, Rei is the first to be zapped. The monsters here have received an upgrade (in more ways than one hurr hurr), and so the Sailors get smashed around. Obviously, they need new season power ups and transformations! The animation took a big leap as well, which was nice to see!
Anyway, in the end, the Sailors are unable to win. But fear not, 2 mysterious characters show up and blast the youma to bits. However, they aren't quite allies, since they seem to only be interested in the talismans that potentially reside within the pure hearts.

Ok, Hito will get mad if I just summarize, so my thoughts:

WTF DID THEY DO TO AMI
bcRqF.jpg

I currently like the original OP song better than this one, but the new visuals are very nice.

I'm quite excited to see the new villain in action, he looks pretty boss

Usagi is dumberer than ever
GzseU.jpg

The pure heart/talisman thing is pretty fun, even if it's a clear ripoff of Heartcatch

With such a dramatic first episode, I'm expecting the stakes to be quite high, which will make for a fun watch.

Basically, this was a really good first episode, even if half the stock footage was recycled from R.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki - 25

RcVfW.png

UmH1N.png

These are scenes from ep. 24

Wow, what a show. I guess I need to read the manga to find out what happens from here?

A big thank you to firehawk12 and anyone else who were pushing this show.

Branduil

When I screencap anything in MediaPlayerClassic this is the result, I'm afraid. It's certainly not the ration I'm viewing anime at (sorry, Hix).

It's usually a result of anime being encoded with non-square pixels. For instance any widescreen anime on DVD will be 720x480, but stretched out to about 853x480 for a correct aspect ratio. But screencaps will usually just interpret all pixels as square so you get 720x480 screencaps.

Bimbougami ga! 02Just so that I don’t spend a lot of the backlog season on something I’ll regret, is the humor in Gintama similar to the humor in this show? If it strongly resembles Bimbougami ga!’s humor, it just might not be for me.

At first it is. Then it becomes more of a hit or miss boke and tsukommi routine.

What they do have in common is the seamless transitioning between comedy and heartwarming drama, something the next Bibougami episode will show.

Soma

Mononoke Noppera-bō Arc

iUFE8ZqzP64wD.jpg
i81p1T2GuphP9.jpg

Hmm.

Maybe watching these two episodes at 4am probably wasn't the best decision because I really didn't get the resolution at first. Had to watch it a few more times and read some other impressions before getting a good handle on what transpired. This was definitely a more ambiguous story than the previous arc but I thought it was interesting. The Medicine Seller felt like he took a more central role in this story and the theatrical presentation at the climax was an interesting choice.

Overall I enjoyed this arc but it's probably not my favorite. It did have a lot of imagery that I loved and once again while the music is usually subdued or nonexistant, when it kicks in it does so at the perfect moment and helps create a wonderfully dramatic scene. This is a very lovely anime and the more I watch the more I'm falling in love with the style.

Narag

Turn A Gundam vs. VF-1
Gurren Lagann vs. VF-25 Messiah
Zaku II vs. Gunbuster
Evangelion Unit 01 vs. YF/VF-19

Remembered to vote this time after that one vote Zeta loss.

Mature

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 2
Wow, this pacing. What happened to romantic dramas that would go 50 episodes without hand holding, then in the final episode they'd confide that they like each other and go see a movie and sit together, or something. I'm really not used to episode two
throwing in intimate moments. Also, I like Hazuki, but that was a really dumbass mistake.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 2

Wow, this pacing. What happened to romantic dramas that would go 50 episodes without hand holding, then in the final episode they'd confide that they like each other and go see a movie and sit together, or something. I'm really not used to episode two
throwing in intimate moments. Also, I like Hazuki, but that was a really dumbass mistake.

I got the vibe that he got possessed when he said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom