• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying it's good, but that is definitely painting a false picture. Shion is more like a melodramtic old shoujo manga then Saki. I mean she is mute because is traumatized after seeing her parents killed.

Quite true. Shion no Ou is nothing like Saki or Chihayafuru; it's much more of a tragic mystery show with shogi than anything else.

eh...

I do recall shit getting quite fucked up. QUITE FUCKED UP. mute girl wasn't always mute.
Yeah, and that starts early. It's definitely not a happy, optimistic game series.

Shion was more... hikaru no go, while Saki is more... yugioh (power of yuri over friendship though) in terms of presentation.
Yeah, pretty much. On that last point though, I have called Saki Yugi before... it is a somewhat apt comparison, in some ways.

Saki Picture Drama - 04

Probably my favorite episode so far out of the picture dramas.

Kanbara's laugh is awesome."Wahaha."
Yeah, it's her signature thing, and it is indeed great. She's funny. She has some silly moments in Biyori, too...

Saki Picture Drama - 05

tumblr_lzkpddsKLh1r6gwcao1_250.gif

Scratch my previous statement, this is my favorite episode.
I said that they just get better and better, didn't I? And it's true!

Polar Bear Café 08

Polar Bear moé

I wanted to say he was an albatross but the beak is wrong.

And ursine nakamas.

All part of a complete Polar Bear experience.
I think that bird's a Dodo, isn't it? Distinctive look.

Are mammals, reptiles, and aves the only animal classes capable of sentient thought in Polar Bear Café? Why are aves incapable of human speech then? Because the idea of treating fish as food while not the rest of the animals has been bothering me for a while. Adn what about Polar Bear and Grizzly's non-nonchalant attitude towards discussing the consumption of seals and walruses? Are those species deemed inferior and only fit for the sustenance of others according to the show's society? Or are Polar Bear and Grizzly closet racists? Are they a couple? Cause they look like a couple too.
They eat creatures which they consider food, regardless of whether they're intelligent or not. You're not supposed to think about it very much, because yeah, it is messed up when you do.

Gunslinger Girl 4

This episode develops the character of Triela, who so far we have seen as acting as a kind of mother hen for the other girls. She's a bit different from the other girls; not only is she older, but her handler, Hirscher, refuses to brainwash her as much as the other girls. As a result, she's much more independent than the other cyborgs.

Of course, this show being what it is, that's not without its drawbacks, such as a greater ability to contemplate her own situation. In the end, though, the outcome of this episode, and the subplot involving a former mafia member, are decidedly more optimistic than the previous one.

It is rather nice that the show treats all of its characters like actual human beings with goals and desires. That's not to say there isn't any fanservice, though. Just look at all these sexy 2D drawings:

Oh yeah.
It's such a horribly depressing series, and yet so amazing...

So now that mostly everything has aired, how about some 1-2 episode rankings!

1. Binbougami ga
2. Horizon s2
3. Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai
4. Sword Art Online
5. Dog Days'
6. Campione
7. Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
8. Arcana Famiglia
9. Rinne no Lagrange
10. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (dropped)
11. Joshiraku (dropped)
12. Oda Nobuna (dropped)
13. Tanken Driland (dropped)
14. Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru! (dropped)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

1. Binbougami ga
2. Horizon s2
4. Sword Art Online
5. Dog Days'
6. Campione
8. Arcana Famiglia
9. Rinne no Lagrange
11. Joshiraku (dropped)
12. Oda Nobuna (dropped)

It makes me said that SAO is not in the top 3. T_T

firehawk12

Subete no aware

1. Binbougami ga
2. Horizon s2
4. Sword Art Online
5. Dog Days'
6. Campione
8. Arcana Famiglia
9. Rinne no Lagrange
11. Joshiraku (dropped)
12. Oda Nobuna (dropped)

Not even going to watch the noitaminA shows? lol

survivor

Banned
1. Binbougami ga
2. Utakoi
3. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
4. Yuru Yuri S2

997. Kokoro Connect
998. Tari Tari
999. Arcana Famiglia

I still need to watch Natsuyuki Rendezvous and I'm expecting good stuff from it so it should be high on the list. As for Moyashimon Returns, fuck that abomination.

Soma

Out of what I've watched so far...

Still watching
1. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
2. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
3. Binbougami Ga!
4. Sword Art Online

Dropped
Campione!
MuvLuv Alternative (Episode 2 had some laughs though)
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

Secretly not dropped and still gonna watch because reasons
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

Things I'm watching this season:
- Binbo
- daka boku wa H ga Dekinai (i think this is the one with scythe girl and molesting)
- SAO
- Dog Days'
- YuruYuri 2
- Joshiraku
- Space Bros
- Polar Bear Cafe
- HxH
- akb 0048
- taritari
- Accel World (only game parts, skipping past real life stuff. Only way to keep me from slitting the wrists).

Things on the table:

- Lagrange (I really just don't give a shit about the non yuri antics)
- Campione (Shit can go many directions after eps 1).
- w/e the one with the demon lord big boob daughter. Interesting premise, shit generic hentai level of character design though.
- Nobuna (eh)

Thing I'm scared to approach:
- Jinrui ( Dont know why)

Still have way too much shit to watch for shit summer.

The first six are good. #7 is below-average mediocre. #8 is awful.

1. Dog Days' (I expect this to drop a few places in the rankings shortly, but ep. 1 was great)
2. Kokoro Connect
3. Yuru Yuri S2
4. Kuromajo-san Tooru! (this seems to be continuing from last season, as far as I can tell... no idea how long it's going to be though. 7 min eps of course.)
5. Arcana Famiglia
6. Binbougami Ga

7. Campione!

8. Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru!

Still haven't watched, but mean to try: Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Tanken Driland, Oda Nobuna, Joshiraku, maybe Horizon S2 (if I get around to watching the second half of S1), Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Sure, I guess! Episode one and some two ranking!

1. Horizon II
2. Joshiraku
3. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
4. Binbougami ga!
5. Nobuna
6. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
7. Arcana Famiglia
8. Natsuyuki Rensezvous
9. Sword Art Online
10. Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai
11. Tari Tari
12. Campione!
13. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
14. Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Oh god, I'm watching too many shows, not even including those currently airing ones either.

jman2050

1. Joshiraku
2. Jinrui (tied)
2. Yuruyuri S2 (tied)
4. Binbougami
5. Sword Art Online

Still need to be watched: Tari Tari, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Kokoro Connect maybe?

Couldn't care less about the rest.

:(

1. Kingdom
2. Arcana Famiglia
3. Horizon II
4. Campione!
5. Tanken Driland
6. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
7. Sword Art Online
8. Hakuouki Reimeiroku
9. Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
10. Kokoro Connect
11. Lagrange 2
12. Binbougami ga
13. Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

I think thats how I would shape it at this point in time. But Kokoro Connect could easily turn our to be less than decent as well as for Chocolate, and SAO may drop if it gets too heavy on those romance elements or whatever. Muv Luv is just close to being dropped and Binbougami has some potential.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One is about germs and one is about flowery male ghost love. I think I'll pass.
God damn. :p

I suppose I can actually do a ranking this season:

Best to worst
Jinrui
Joshiraku
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Uta Koi
Tari Tari
Kokoro Connect
Moyashimon Returns
Tanken Driland
YuruYuri
Binbou-gami ga.
Rinne
Oda Nobuna #guiltypleasure
Dog Days'
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru
Chitose
Muv Luv
Arcana Famiglia
Horizon 2
Hagure Yuusha no Estecia
Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai
Campione!
Sword Art Online #hatewatch

The order of the bottom half doesn't really matter, except for Sword Art Online, which has to be last on principle.

I don't have an opinion on the three other shows that I haven't seen yet:
Ebiten: Kouritsu Ebisugawa Koukou Tenmon-Bu - Not subbed at the moment.
Hakuouki Reimeiroku - Hakuouki without the female main character? Meh.
Kingdom - wonzo only.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Instant Classic tier

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

Pretty Good tier

Joshiraku
Rinne no Lagrange S2
Sword Art Online
Uta Koi

Meh tier

Bimbougami ga!
Moyashimon Returns
Tari Tari

Bad tier

Kokoro Connect
Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Shounen tier

Arcana Famiglia
Campione!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you actually gonna keep watching all these anime or planning to drop some of them?
Everything between #guiltypleasure and #hatewatch are probably going out the window, barring something amazing happening like one of them doing a parody of a Michael Moore film.

Also, that BL club show might be "good" or good. Who knows!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ginga e Kickoff!! 12

As a failed footballer who never had the chance to make it, Reika's story hit me hard.

Raw Raw Fight the Power ;_;

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
1.) Yuru Yuri S2
2.) Binbougami ga
4.) Tari Tari
4.) Sword Art Online
5.) Oda Nobuna
6.) Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1:
Pretty good. The pacing was good, and I was genuinely surprised by the episode at several places. I appreciate shows which manage to move deftly between comedy and serious drama and do so well. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Now that my work schedule is on the verge of returning to normal, I might actually be able to get caught up on my anime. Is anything else from this season worth watching?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1:
Pretty good. The pacing was good, and I was genuinely surprised by the episode at several places. I appreciate shows which manage to move deftly between comedy and serious drama and do so well. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Now that my work schedule is on the verge of returning to normal, I might actually be able to get caught up on my anime. Is anything else from this season worth watching?
People posted lists, but Jinrui and Joshiraku are the clear winners this season.

And I have no time to play anything I buy! I STILL need to finish Bioshock and the Assassin's Creed games. Just bought Spec Ops: The Line too... fuck me. >>;
At least Spec Ops is only 4 hours. lol
(Also, I can't believe I was right about the ending. It's definitely worth playing because of that).

It's usually a result of anime being encoded with non-square pixels. For instance any widescreen anime on DVD will be 720x480, but stretched out to about 853x480 for a correct aspect ratio. But screencaps will usually just interpret all pixels as square so you get 720x480 screencaps.

The solution is to stretch them yourself using Photoshop before you post them.

Mature

1. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
2. Joshiraku
3. Binbougami ga
4. Rinne no Lagrange 2
5. Sword Art Online

More than enough to keep me entertained for a season that seemingly had nothing interesting to offer barring Lagrange 2. Something tells me I'm not going to like the way SAO pans out, but for now I'm interested. Joshiraku and Binbou are sort of feel good, goofy, turn-your-brain-off anime that are welcome. Natsuyuki Rendezvous came out of nowhere and I'm loving it so far.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At least Spec Ops is only 4 hours. lol
(Also, I can't believe I was right about the ending. It's definitely worth playing because of that).

I bought it because of the Zero Punctuation review. He was actually fucking serious in the majority of the review and said he just couldn't bring himself to try and make it funny because it just isn't. I was shocked. I said "Fuck, now I HAVE to play this!"

I'm trying not to stay awake 10 straight days just in case there's a deal on Skyrim I don't want to miss. ;_;

THIS SO MUCH!

Instro

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1:

Tari Tari has been well received so far.

Joule

Tamayura 5.5:
It only took about 26 seconds before I felt right at home again. A very nice extension of the series but mostly something you can just unwind with on its own. This episode encompassed pretty much the entirety of what the series is about. It had festivals, fireworks, memories of Fuu's dad, blurry photos, Chihiro crying... an explosion of slice of life :firehawk.

The initial part with the father and kids taking pictures in front of Fuu really got me going. All the bridging between the past and present were well done. The end of Fuu's festival going and the revival of it in the present to the discovery of her father's own failure photos (that look just like hers) delivered a very complete experience of what the show is.

I'm so glad that there'll be more of Tamayura at some point. It's really established itself as a slice of life, I really really enjoy.

Tamayura:
SEMAn.jpg

Me:
RLO3M.jpg
ckRjx.jpg

Thoraxes

As for what i'm going to probably keep up with, in no particular order:

Rinne no Wan
Binbougami ga
Hentai Groping Man feat. Red Threads
SAO
Which girl that I get with is going to be my sister?
Yuru Yuri 2

Continuing:
E7:AO
Accel World
Hyouka

I still have a few more shows to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom