• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm trying not to stay awake 10 straight days just in case there's a deal on Skyrim I don't want to miss. ;_;
Steam directly into your veins!

Joshiraku seems pretty damn hit or miss going by these lists.

Edit: Huh, maybe not, but I know Jex doesn't like it, so that counts for something.
Joshiraku is fine. Jex just doesn't "get it".

I bought it because of the Zero Punctuation review. He was actually fucking serious in the majority of the review and said he just couldn't bring himself to try and make it funny because it just isn't. I was shocked. I said "Fuck, now I HAVE to play this!"
It's still a TPS though, and it's still STOP AND POP gameplay that we all know so well. But at least they actually have some thought to the story... the fact that the twist ending has a SECOND twist is pretty good though. lol

I guess I'll make those my next ones to check out.
Have fun. There are other decent shows to watch, depending on what genres and whatnot that you like. For example, the two slice of life shows are fairly inoffensive.

Will I like Joshiraku if I haven't mastered the Japanese language?
Umm... maybe. lol

Tamayura 5.5:

I'm so glad that there'll be more of Tamayura at some point. It's really established itself as a slice of life, I really really enjoy.
The only thing that could make Tamayura even better is if they made a new character specifically for Kobayashi to play!

Jintor

Saki Picture Drama - 04

xThkN.png

R-rin?

Narag

Final Fantasy VII: Last Order

Non-canonical 2005 OVA that was part of Compilation of FFVII from back in the day. It's basically Zack escaping with Cloud coupled with flashbacks to the Nibelheim reactor incident and has cameos of the expanded Turks roster used in the other. Compilation stuff It's not too good and aside from a couple action sequences largely forgettable. I say this because evidently I watched this forever then forgot about it. Memories angrily flooded back as soon as I saw the biggest change to the Nibelheim incident where
rather than Cloud flinging Sephiroth off the platform to his death after being impaled, Sephiroth just says fuck it and jumps into it with Jenova's head in hand.
That never set well with me as it screwed with a scene I really liked from a game I don't even like that much! Doublechecking some stuff after watching the OVA showed I wasn't the only one as deviations from the main game's potrayal of events received rather negative reactions so much so SE avoided such a thing come time for Crisis Core (which I still have yet to play.)

Being a member of SOLDIER grants one the ability to dodge ugly CG bullets.

Instro

Natsuyuki 2

Ah that was really great, I love the pacing of this relationship.
Dude totally fucked up, he had it in the bag and blew it!

Marche90

Gah! what should I do? I dunno if I should watch the episodes as soon as they are released or wait until they are completed and marathon them. I don't like to wait, but I'm also pretty bad at watching everything on a single sitting. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway. Picked more series than I usually do. I wanted to drop even a single one, but everything looks at the very least interesting.

Also, pretty sad to see that a lot of people didn't enjoyed MLA Total Eclipse. Not saying that it is awesome, since I haven't even started to watch the series, but because the original visual novel (the one without the Total Eclipse subtitle) is one of the most awesome things I've ever read. Maybe they should have animated the original one, having to animate Extra and Unlimited be damned.

Gah! what should I do? I dunno if I should watch the episodes as soon as they are released or wait until they are completed and marathon them. I don't like to wait, but I'm also pretty bad at watching everything on a single sitting. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway. Picked more series than I usually do. I wanted to drop even a single one, but everything looks at the very least interesting.

Also, pretty sad to see that a lot of people didn't enjoyed MLA Total Eclipse. Not saying that it is awesome, since I haven't even started to watch the series, but because the original visual novel (the one without the Total Eclipse subtitle) is one of the most awesome things I've ever read. Maybe they should have animated the original one, having to animate Extra and Unlimited be damned.

Why wait, the experience is best when watching weekly.

Anyway, Muv Luv Alternative just started off pretty bad and slow. The first two episodes just grim and kind of ugly and betas look and do gross things, and even worst characters are awful. Its really not that good, but ep 3 seems slightly better.

survivor

Banned
Joshiraku 1

That wasn't that bad. Loved all their random and pointless discussions. There were times when I felt lost by either their puns or things that I guess I have to be Japanese to get? For now I'm very interested and will definitely keep watching.

I really don't get how rakugo is entertaining. It's just some guy telling a story? Where is the fun in that?

Ano hana 3 - end
tumblr_lwwhtlA1fb1qa5ltdo1_500.gif

I think it definitely works much better seeing it all in one/two settings. Things just developed better, character interactions seemed way better the second time to, or way more noticeable especially things involving yukiatsu and jintan. I think the first time I thought characters cried too much but I think Ill rescind that too, definitely on the mark with emotions well that I was getting caught up in it too. Good.

--
The kimi ni todoke trailer almost got me to get interested in it, the yellow haired dude is the focus of it?

survivor

Banned
Well it's pretty much like a pun-filled version of stand up in a loose way. So, people can enjoy hearing stuff.
Oh, I guess that's not bad if you like puns

Ano hana 3 - end
tumblr_lwwhtlA1fb1qa5ltdo1_500.gif

I think it definitely works much better seeing it all in one/two settings. Things just developed better, character interactions seemed way better the second time to, or way more noticeable especially things involving yukiatsu and jintan. I think the first time I thought characters cried too much but I think Ill rescind that too, definitely on the mark with emotions well that I was getting caught up in it too. Good.

--
The kimi ni todoke trailer almost got me to get interested in it, the yellow haired dude is the focus of it?

There is a yellow haired dude in KnT?

Joshiraku 1

That wasn't that bad. Loved all their random and pointless discussions. There were times when I felt lost by either their puns or things that I guess I have to be Japanese to get? For now I'm very interested and will definitely keep watching.

I really don't get how rakugo is entertaining. It's just some guy telling a story? Where is the fun in that?

Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Welp, curiosity got the better of me.

Shion no Ou 01:

9Pm5El.jpg

Anime Wilford Brimley, ever-vigilant in warning about foods that cause diabeetus

After a single episode, this is one of the most monumentally weird anime I've watched in a loooooooong time. The earlier discussion in the thread described it pretty well. It's:

>about a young girl
>who is mute
>and an orphan
>who was taken in by a shogi master after her parents were murdered
>and is now aiming to be a professional shogi player
>and seeks to solve the mystery of her parents' murder
>of which her only memory involves shogi
>and it's animated by DEEN.

aPJ1Jl.jpg

RIGHT INTO YOUR SOUL

So this is Shion, the protagonist. We know all too well the pitfalls of anime centering around young girls, but after the first episode it appears that the show is going to take the high road and that she's her given age and gender because it legitimately suits the story. This seifuku scene right at the beginning was a bit weird with the improbable exposure but other than that I'm pleased with her total lack of sexualization.

She doesn't have much of a character to speak of yet, but the first episode at least gives the audience the benefit of being able to hear Shion's thoughts. I guess that's taking the easy way out of developing a mute character, but let's be honest: the staff for this probably wouldn't be capable of doing it completely non-verbally in a satisfying way anyway.

4hTmzl.jpg

lol blatant sexism

Shion belongs to a local shogi club where shogi buffs gather to practice, hold tournaments, and shoot the shit while watching other club members play via CCTV. It would appear that the world of professional shogi is strictly divided between male and female, which is pretty dumb, but everyone in the show just seems to accept it as a matter of course.

If you're not sure what shogi is, let's just call it Japanese chess even if that's not entirely accurate. There was a good bit of terminology thrown around this episode, but fortunately the emphasis of the plot is definitely not on shogi for the time being. It's even less intriguing than karuta.

The episode also introduces two of Shion's rivals in the world of female shogi:

I can't remember any names yet, but the first one is basically a Leiji Matsumoto-fied Kanoe Yuuko and the second is a blue palette swap of Saya from Blood-C. They'll undoubtedly both factor importantly into the plot, and I'm not just saying this because they're featured prominently in the OP.

Blue Saya especially begins to develop her own subplot in the first episode, as we're suddenly inserted into a scene of her playing some kind of creepy mummified shogi guy who throws a match against her instead of playing fairly just to be a dick and rob her of the satisfaction of winning a real match.

Then this happens.

And after that, THIS (spoilz) happens.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

and she was pretty damned attractive, too ;_;

Oh, and
Shion gets kidnapped by a creepy stalker whose wall is plastered in newspaper clippings of her
at the end of the episode. After this most bizarre series of events, I'm definitely interested in watching more, although it's admittedly equal parts morbid curiosity and actual intrigue. Yup, just a shogi series!

Rozen Maiden end

00CAL.jpg

Yeah, you would know.

Man, Suigintou really turned into a walking cliche by the end. Though I will say the
missing torso, aka being incomplete
was cool (if only for virtue of being a slightly less used cliche).

The show was alright I guess. I think I was mostly thrown off by the schizophrenic tone, which would have been fine if the content wasn't so dull during the mood shifts. If you want to shock me, shock me, don't bore me. The only time I thought it was effective was
Shinku losing her arm

Action was good... all 4 minutes of it over the course of 12 episodes. I mean I guess it's technically more a slice of life with some light dark undertones, so maybe I shouldn't be complaining about the lack of action. But since I'm me, I will anyway and say it's a whole lot of wasted potential.

I think my biggest problem with this series is just how much of an unlikable fuck Jun is for a good chunk of it. I mean first of all, his reason for being the way he is is really dumb. Yeah, I'm sure plenty of people withdraw from society because they failed some stupid middle school entrance exam, but it's not the kind of thing I want to see from a protagonist that is portrayed in such a way. It just makes him out to be a condescending snob whose entire self-worth was based on a grade. With that gone, might as well just say "fuck life" and order a bunch of shit on the internet. Again, I know this happens in real life, but when you're up against some of the more awesome motivations in fiction, it just seems out of place in a series about supernatural fighting dolls.

Is season 2 any better? Not sure if I want to watch it.

Soma

Mononoke Nue Arc

iYSVWLvVnDIZn.jpg
iPL7P5GRUh7wS.jpg

Hahaha what was that!?

That was a really fun set of episodes, probably my favorite next to the Umibōzu arc so far.

Nice to see the Medicine Seller to have a strange sense of humor. One thing I really loved was the use of color, or lack thereof, through out these episodes. Very minimalistic yet used in such an interesting way. The story and characters were definitely entertaining and the "twist" was pretty unexpected for me. The confrontation between the mononoke and the Medicine Seller's released form was amazing to watch. All in all, another great arc and a wonderful conclusion.

Ah man, one more arc to go.

Jex

Rankings

Jinrui
Natsuyuki rendezvous
Space Brothers
Eureka Seven AO
Tari Tari
Sword Art Online
Hyouka
Binbougami Ga!
Moyashimon Returns
Joshiraku

Dresden

still watching:

natsuyuki
eureka seven ao
sword art online
jinrui wa suitai etc
accel world
binbougami-ga

dropped:

tari tari
joshiraku

Jex

It's go time.

Turn A Gundam vs. VF-1
Gurren Lagann vs. VF-25 Messiah
Zaku II vs. Gunbuster
Evangelion Unit 01 vs. YF/VF-19

Turn A Gundam
vs. VF-1
Gurren Lagann vs. VF-25 Messiah
Zaku II vs. Gunbuster
Evangelion Unit 01 vs. YF/VF-19

This competition needs some less...god tier mecha. Just having the most well known robots slug it out isn't very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom