• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In all fairness,
I might be jumping the gun a bit on calling it a validated theory, since there's still lots they have yet to explain.
I shall refrain from gloating about my superior animu taste until it gets confirmed.
Cartman-kun is refreshingly honest and a breath of fresh moe air. When every single anime protag is a sterilized Kyon/Kyousuke clone, I'm holding you all responsible!
The only difference between Cartman-kun and every other haremshit protagonist ever is that the character designer was honest enough to not lie to his audience about how pathetically obese and gross they are.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Time Jam 13-19

I remember some people were watching this so I thought I'd just mention that some massive series building stuff happens around 15-16. They finally put the whole "Earth is missing" thing to the forefront again.

Otherwise, it's still mostly fun and silly 60s science fiction adventures. I assume that they're going to touch on the meta plot often enough to give the series some progression but keep it episodic so as not to scare the kiddies away.

The dub is still pretty naff though, but I'm almost used to it now. Either way, it's still better than at least half if not more of the anime airing this season and if you like classic science fiction, you really can't be too picky.

Thud

Lupin III series 1

lupin-III1.jpg

just started it, I watched some random episodes years ago but I'm sure I missed some so here I am.

I'm still watching. Episodic isn't addicting to me it seems.

Uchip

Banned
In all fairness,
I might be jumping the gun a bit on calling it a validated theory, since there's still lots they have yet to explain.

yeah such as
why Truth goes from exploding shit with his mind, to fighting with a ball and chain made of black stuff. Guess it was in the patch notes.

I find myself kind of enjoying how unusual it is. It's strange, but there's nothing sad about it--it takes itself seriously but it's just grounded enough that it's still possible to become vested in the events and characters. It's certainly something that could never have been made today.
It's one of those shows where I had some interest in continuing, but just never quite got around to doing so... that happens, of course.

Anyway, what I meant by sad was that the stories for most of the characters (in those two episodes) were unhappy. Shion has a tragic past and now is mute,
crossdressing guy
has a pretty unhappy story, etc. I know it's not a completely bleak show or something, it does have lighter bits from what I remember (and shogi), but the central stories are at least unhappy, sometimes tragic, it seems.

The market never existed. I'm sure it was just made to promote the manga.
Why would there be no market for an anime with an interesting, unique, and mostly serious mystery/shogi story? Sure the production values are low, probably because they assume the shogi thing makes it niche, but "no market"? Of course not. Have you watched any of it?

I stand by my statement. Whatever market that may have once existed for this kind of anime is gone. It doesn't stop equally-bizarre and niche things from being produced today, but super-niche traditional game/sport series like this that appear to have been huffing the last fumes of Hikaru no Go and its ilk just doesn't really exist anymore, with the possible exception of something like Chihayafuru, which isn't exactly comparable.
Yeah, I see what you mean... I don't know that a show like that would be made today either. The number of shows airing has declined since then, yes? I agree, I doubt Shion no Ou would get made today. It'd probably need to be more moe and fanservicey.

It certainly doesn't have high production qualities. The problem with adaptations of finished manga are that, especially in the instance of something like Shion no Ou where the source material isn't very long to begin with and it's easy to adapt fully within 1-2 cours, receiving a complete anime adaptation seems to defeat the purpose of advertising the manga because there's no further story. BUY THE MANGA endings are pretty effective because they generally end on notes that tease new developments or would otherwise be unsatisfying if they were the actual ending, but no such advantage exists for complete adaptations. It really does seem like there was no good reason for the series to exist at all.
Not every anime is an advertisement for a manga, you know... I would assume that someone wanted to see this animated and thought it would sell. Maybe they were hoping that it would sell some copies of the manga too, but given that the manga was over already, I wouldn't guess that that's the main reasoning behind it...

Geneijin

It certainly doesn't have high production qualities. The problem with adaptations of finished manga are that, especially in the instance of something like Shion no Ou where the source material isn't very long to begin with and it's easy to adapt fully within 1-2 cours, receiving a complete anime adaptation seems to defeat the purpose of advertising the manga because there's no further story. BUY THE MANGA endings are pretty effective because they generally end on notes that tease new developments or would otherwise be unsatisfying if they were the actual ending, but no such advantage exists for complete adaptations. It really does seem like there was no good reason for the series to exist at all.
They had a budget for Kosuke Yamashita dude... which is more than the music budget he got for Digimon Xros War.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tis truly a sad day in animegaf history when something like Accel World is the most talked about show.

Averon

Let's see if I got this right...

Renton and Eureka--still pregnant with Ao--was messing with some Scrub Coral when it suddenly sends Eureka and Nirvash back to the Ao world of 2025. This is the Eureka we see in this episode (13).

At some point after episode 13, Eureka is sent back to 2012, where she gives birth to Ao.

By 2015, Eureka assists the chief and his fellow troops in fighting the Secrets. She remembers the chief and that other guy because she already met them in the future in this episode.

What happened to Eureka after that battle with the Secrets in 2015 is still unknown.

Am I getting this right?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hey I still haven't finished Guilty Crown, don't tell me it bombs.

God damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom