• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never get why this kind of announcement is even a thing. Perhaps most people don't have their PC/Laptop hooked up to their TV.

This is actually correct. Most people don't even realize you can connect your laptop or PC to a TV, and the few that do aren't willing to invest the time and expense into building a media PC into a home theater.

Just look at how hard they are pushing the "Smart TV" concept, people buy the things and are amazed they can browse the web on their TV.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is actually correct. Most people don't even realize you can connect your laptop or PC to a TV, and the few that do aren't willing to invest the time and expense into building a media PC into a home theater.

Just look at how hard they are pushing the "Smart TV" concept, people buy the things and are amazed they can browse the web on their TV.

The more things change...

izr53.jpg

As for me, connect laptop to TV via HDMI = boom, instant media center. Blu-rays and games are still the domain of my PS3, but everything else isn't a problem.

I used to do that then got tired of switching PC hdmi to TV to ps3. Its way more convienient to just have the hulu plus app or Netflix app on ps3 and just keep that connected and never switch.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope 12

iyRy5xn6JRHB6.jpg

I don't remember this happening in high school...

I liked it. Could it have been better? Yes, but its flaws don't bother me enough to ruin my enjoyment. I have to admit I got emotional when
Kaoru left on the train and when Kaoru and Sen started running together again.

Ultimadrago

Gintama 5

"
Terrorism
is bad!" This episode also gives a little more insight on Gintoki's philosophy of protecting what or who he desires while executing it in his own way. All in all, not a bad concept to revolve around for an episode. I wonder if it will be revisited.

wonzo

Banned
Sankarea 12 END

Huh, I thought this was getting 13 eps. Whatever, this was a rather serviceable ending to a very inconsistent show. I'll check out the manga to see what's different and what happens next.

You really need to treat yourself and watch some Souten Kouro to counterbalance everything in Kingdom. It's everything that an ancient Chinese rags-to-riches military epic should be.
Sounds great, I guess I'll just drop Kingdom and watch this instead.

As for me, connect laptop to TV via HDMI = boom, instant media center. Blu-rays and games are still the domain of my PS3, but everything else isn't a problem.

I won't lie, TV via HDMI is pretty boss.

Even just having the dual screen for my laptop is awesome just as it is.

Sankarea end

5YKoI.jpg

lol, it's Yumekui Merry all over again.

Rather abrupt ending there. This wasn't even in the manga, so there's not really an excuse for it to be so... dull. Pretty damn underwhelming scaling down of the festival arc (and that's being generous). Kind of feels like a setup to another season, which I would definitely welcome, but alone, it felt more like some crappy filler rather than a final episode.

Anyway, this was simultaneously a really solid adaptation and a terrible one. The more consistent somber tone in the opening episodes was pulled off pretty damn well, though it did make the shift a bit more jarring than in the manga. I personally think both approaches have their place.

Something that I both really liked and hated at the same time was the attention given to fleshing out the characters more than they were in the manga. On the plus side, the flashbacks were well-done and really gave you a better idea of where the characters were coming from when they did certain actions or said certain things. Mero and Rea's mother in particular impressed me. Several visual/camera tricks coupled with the music (I seem to love somber stuff with music boxes) made for a few very interesting shots.

The problem is they came in rapid succession. Even if they didn't, this is a 1 cour show. In anything else, I would commend the team for doing it, but when you have a limited amount of time to tell a story, you don't waste it on flashbacks and back stories.

Which brings me to my next point; they only adapted 9 chapters over 12 episodes. Sure, it was a fine stopping point, but they could have easily squeezed out another arc without much trouble. As it stands, the best character in the series didn't even get a chance to shine.

So anyway, I liked it, but also had problems with it. As I already said, I would definitely watch a season 2 if it were to happen.

The Sacred Blacksmith 4
XPfL5.jpg

It's probably not smart to sleep with your sword.
I thought the problem with worm infested ugly guys wasn't resolved, but I guess it was. But I was right about there being more fighting in this episode. While trying to lure out the bad guy, that ugly old guy from the first episode comes back and gets turned into Cinder. Being made of basically lava, all hope seemed lost for our heroine, but never fear, as our resident man with the obviously superior katana shows up to bail her out. But what's this? She actually manages to do something and save the day? Crazy! It was a fairly good episode.
CY18y.jpg

Knight/Maid Cambell at your service!

Ultimadrago

Sankarea 11-12 [END]

This was a sub-par experience as usual with the show.

Also, I would like to edit my previous girl rankings. On second thought, both Wanko and Rea can share the spot for worst girl.

The
one that never spoke sooner and just "jokes around" with breasts about
and the fitting
"zombie" of a personality
found in the other were both characters that I could not get little enough of on screen. Then again, I don't find Furuya likable anyways, so he deserved two bad choices.

The ending seems to have left it open for another season. However, regardless of the year/season it may release, my bet lies in the notion that it'll be far too easy to find a more entertaining narrative to spend my time with.

wonzo

Banned
Wish Upon the Pleiades 1-4

Who'd a thunk that a collection of magical girl shorts bankrolled by Subaru would've turned out to be the most entertaining work Gainax has released since TTGL?!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kids on the Slope 12
I have to admit I got emotional when
How many times could they get away with the same cliched scene and have it work for you?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is that a good wtf or a bad wtf?

I was fine with the first part. The time skip killed it for me :\

I mean... they confused the crap out of me with
who Elena and Miller was. I had no idea what actually happened to Miller.
Other than that it was a solid episode. Music was PHENOMENAL this episode and it was really nice to see what ties this show has to the other series

Jex

I mean... they confused the crap out of me with
who Elena and Miller was. I had no idea what actually happened to Miller.
Other than that it was a solid episode. Music was PHENOMENAL this episode and it was really nice to see what ties this show has to the other series

Not one mention of flying teddy bears. Shameful.

Thoraxes

Kids on the Slope 12

I liked it. Could it have been better? Yes, but its flaws don't bother me enough to ruin my enjoyment. I have to admit I got emotional when

I felt the same way about the end.

So uh, do we know times for TLRD? I mean, I imagine if it isn't at least at 2 AM or something, there's going to be some crazy censor lasers.

Thoraxes

So uh, do we know times for TLRD? I mean, I imagine if it isn't at least at 2 AM or something, there's going to be some crazy censor lasers.
It'll probably be first run censored (unless by the powers of the gods they get a first run uncensored). I don't remember too well how they did it with Motto TLR, but I think it was that way.

Also given the uh... content in TLRD... well, they can do a lot to encourage high BD sales... A heh, heh, heh...

So for Fall it's:

Magi
To Love-Ru Darkness
Seitokai No Ichizon S2
Hayate no Gotoku S3
Robotics;Notes
Little Busters!
Bakuman S3
Jormungand S2

Is Sora no Otoshimono S3 coming this year too?

Grzi

Wish Upon the Pleiades 1-4

Who'd a thunk that a collection of magical girl shorts bankrolled by Subaru would've turned out to be the most entertaining work Gainax has released since TTGL?!

Yeah, that shit wasn't bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom