• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

On today's Friday Road SHOW! I was expecting a better picture quality reprise of the EVA-EXTRA 08 trailer, but instead and after the same fragments already shown on that event from Evangelion: 1.0 and Evangelion: 2.0 we get... a CGI piano? So it seems:

エヴァンゲリオン新劇場版:Q 2012/7/13新着映像(From 金曜ロードショー)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPaUXzBK-8

Old and smelly. Defeated by duckroll.

sonicmj1

It's not my fault I'm doing a backlog season! The summer's just too boring!

vqdif.jpg

Is this not one of the best OPs ever?

Paranoia Agent 1

I remember a few incredible episodes from my Toonami days, but I only saw scattered parts, so it never really made sense. Satoshi Kon is a great director (Millennium Actress is one of my favorite movies ever), so I wanted to experience more of his work.

The first episode opens with a montage of people abdicating responsibility for all sorts of reasons. It seems like a non-sequitor, but it's related to a lot of the emotions that Tsukiko feels in this episode. Overwhelmed with expectations, she wishes for some magic, and like a monkey's paw, it comes for her on roller skates.

fgQ4C.jpg

I like the way the darkness approaches here. The lights stay on, but their illumination seems to be swallowed up.

The character designs here are really strong. It's not a particularly exaggerated style, yet everyone introduced so far is incredibly distinct, particularly Kawaru, the sleazy investigative journalist.

spmXV.jpg

His eyes, in particular, remind me of some kind of slimy amphibious predator that waits patiently before swallowing up helpless prey.

Still, the show seems equally focused on the society surrounding those people. I'm not used to seeing anime making this kind of statement. Maybe I haven't learned enough from the mountain.

I love the aural motif for Shonen Bat. That sound... it's the sound of inevitability.

There are some weird quasi-supernatural loose ends that got thrown out in this episode, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. Not that the show is realistic, but I'd rather they kept that stuff focused on the attacks, at least at first.

I'm pretty happy with the stuff Ultimadrago and I have picked out for backlog season. I'm looking forward to seeing new episodes each week!

Defuser

Eureka 7 AO ep 13
Oh man, the bombs keep on dropping,amazing how one episode can answer a shitload of questions and yet creates more questions.

But I'm slightly confused about the
Nirvashes involve when time travelling comes into the equation. It seems to me there are like 2 Nirvash that appear 13 years ago.

duckroll

I didn't think Secrets could be humanoids, wouldnt they have made efforts to communicate if that were so? And he has a human father via that book/photograph in the last episode

This is why I think that Truth is some freak accident that caused him to be sentient unlike other Secrets. I don't know what caused it, it might've been something specific to that particular incident. Who knows. I think the kid in the picture is the real guy and Truth is just taking his appearance whether by memory of the kid he absorbed or some random reason.

Do you guys not pay attention to the show or something? Truth is the Secret that Eureka fought 10 years ago. That was in 2015. After she triggered the Scub Burst somehow he ended up with a human form. By 2017 he was adopted by Johanson (that's when the photo was taken, 2 years after Eureka's incident) as a foster son. They never said he was his real father. The reason why Truth remembers Nirvash and Eureka, and wants to chase after them so badly, is because he wants revenge for what happened. It all adds up.

They even show the humanoid Secret in the flashback firing the arm as a weapon, and then they show Truth using the SAME attack later. In the same episode! Come on guys...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Do you guys not pay attention to the show or something? Truth is the Secret that Eureka fought 10 years ago. That was in 2015. After she triggered the Scub Burst somehow he ended up with a human form. By 2017 he was adopted by Johanson (that's when the photo was taken, 2 years after Eureka's incident) as a foster son. They never said he was his real father. The reason why Truth remembers Nirvash and Eureka, and wants to chase after them so badly, is because he wants revenge for what happened. It all adds up.

They even show the humanoid Secret in the flashback firing the arm as a weapon, and then they show Truth using the SAME attack later. In the same episode! Come on guys...

I saw that. I didn't know the date on the Johanson picture which is why I state w/e I did above. Now my theory works without problems and ambiguity. Lucky me. I stated this before you did Duckroll! MY THEORIES ARE CORRECT!!!

duckroll

I saw that. I didn't know the date on the Johanson picture which is why I state w/e I did above. Now my theory works without problems and ambiguity. Lucky me. I stated this before you did Duckroll! MY THEORIES ARE CORRECT!!!

It's so much cuter/funnier when I read all your posts as something coming out of your avatar! ^_^

kayos90

So what I'm getting from last night's posting spree is that I should watch Accel World ASAP.

Right?

I say yes. Duckroll and others are going to give you a list and then proceed to tell you to skip entire segments of the episode for awesome fights.

Thats rather clear. The constant time juggling and references always throws me off, so I had been hoping for some clarification, thanks.

Jinui 2

Holy shit. That plot... twist?

Anyone else get Hitman Blood Money vibes when the choir and 'gunshots' happened? Can't fucking wait for new one :p

The MC does remind me of Kobato for some reason. Hmmm....

What was that other show with sentient hair of somewhat recent. Neuro?

Jarmel

Banned
Holy fucking shit at AO.

This shit so far might contain better writing than the original. It's sure as hell is more ambitious and is one of Bones better anime-original works(purely in regards to writing) .

Either this is going to end up a train wreck or a masterpiece.

kayos90

Holy fucking shit at AO.

This shit so far might contain better writing than the original. It's sure as hell is more ambitious and is one of Bones better anime-original works(purely in regards to writing) .

Either this is going to end up a train wreck or a masterpiece.

Better writing? Uh... Not sure about that... Well... hmm.... It's going to be a train wreck.
They already introduced Time Travel. It's already messed up.

Jarmel

Banned
Better writing? Uh... Not sure about that... Well... hmm.... It's going to be a train wreck.
They already introduced Time Travel. It's already messed up.

I'm going to hold off on overall quality comparisons because they can really tank the series if they want but it's definitely their most ambitious writing since probably Raphxenon. They do seem to know what they're doing which gives me hope unlike DtB S2 which inspired absolutely no faith in me.

It's pretty clear that they had most if not all the story points pre-written before they started the series.

jbug617

Banned
Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru! 2

Introduces a new character
Mister X (who is really a girl)
. The dolphin tango steals the show.

Ultimadrago

Paranoia Agent 1

blDTH.jpg

What's so funny, everyone?
Everyone?

We start off with a city full of apologies and excuses. A plush designer down on her "luck" is attacked by a young assailant with a metal bat. A couple of detectives and a weaselly journalist are on the case.

As sonicmj already shared, the character designs of Satoshi Kon's works are expressive and quite distinctive. Worthy of second mention, displayed well in the trouble making expressions from Kawazu, the journalist:

He sure is the textbook definition of a "bug-eyed creep."

Anyways, as time goes on
he too becomes a victim of the attacker
. So the plot continues as the tangibility of the child seems all, but sure. I wonder how the series will continue with this element. A minor case that will soon be solved to reveal a greater problem (most likely supernatural) or is Shonen Bat, with all his mystery, potentially as large as the focus needs to be?

This backlog season is off to a good start. All the shows chosen have had some element that I am eager to witness more of in the coming week.
I am ready to continue this journey with sonicmj1!

fertygo

Why some of you always watching multiple 1st episode n then never watch it again >_>

Stick with what you started before starting the new one!

cajunator

Banned
Jinrui 1

What.
The.
Fuck.

God damn it. My list of anime to watch grows every day.

Wait till you see episode 2

binbo 2

Haha that was great! The summons were cute. Sakura was cute. Binbo was ... binbo, but less binbo than last week.

Bobby was perverted.

Props for the animators to remember to give sakura's boobs a good old fashion bounce occasionally.

A lot of shows sadly tend to forget :/

It hearkens back to the days when Gainax could reliably remember to add the important little details.

It's not my fault I'm doing a backlog season! The summer's just too boring!

Paranoia Agent 1

I remember a few incredible episodes from my Toonami days, but I only saw scattered parts, so it never really made sense. Satoshi Kon is a great director (Millennium Actress is one of my favorite movies ever), so I wanted to experience more of his work.

The first episode opens with a montage of people abdicating responsibility for all sorts of reasons. It seems like a non-sequitor, but it's related to a lot of the emotions that Tsukiko feels in this episode. Overwhelmed with expectations, she wishes for some magic, and like a monkey's paw, it comes for her on roller skates.

The character designs here are really strong. It's not a particularly exaggerated style, yet everyone introduced so far is incredibly distinct, particularly Kawaru, the sleazy investigative journalist.

Still, the show seems equally focused on the society surrounding those people. I'm not used to seeing anime making this kind of statement. Maybe I haven't learned enough from the mountain.

I love the aural motif for Shonen Bat. That sound... it's the sound of inevitability.

There are some weird quasi-supernatural loose ends that got thrown out in this episode, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. Not that the show is realistic, but I'd rather they kept that stuff focused on the attacks, at least at first.

I'm pretty happy with the stuff Ultimadrago and I have picked out for backlog season. I'm looking forward to seeing new episodes each week!

Paranoia Agent is one of the best animes and all, but this season is waaaaay far from boring so far. Its actually really good.

Moyashimon Returns
ADipkl.jpg

So even the Japanese think ethanol is a scam?

Ethanol is a gigantic fucking scam. Trust me, I know. Its the biggest waste of time and a pain in the ass in every way for fuel companies and stores to deal with. Everybody hates it.

Jinui 2

Holy shit. That plot... twist?

Anyone else get Hitman Blood Money vibes when the choir and 'gunshots' happened? Can't fucking wait for new one :p

The MC does remind me of Kobato for some reason. Hmmm....

What was that other show with sentient hair of somewhat recent. Neuro?

Ah-ha :D Kazoo fapping chickens and self-aware hair. Welcome to Jinrui. And yes, Miss uhh...Hnng does remind of Kobato. She's adorable.

sonicmj1

Ow, but its looks so troublesome, I will never that patience >_>

What's on the list?

Paranoia Agent is the last show on the list. So everything Ultimadrago and I have started this week.

I did something like it during Winter season, and even though I didn't follow through on all my shows, I had a lot of fun watching Usagi Drop, Tatami Galaxy, and Trapeze on a weekly schedule. It gave me a lot of time to think about each episode.

I don't think patience is too much of a problem. If you can wait when stuff is airing, why can't you wait for a backlog show?

Paranoia Agent is one of the best animes and all, but this season is waaaaay far from boring so far. Its actually really good.

It's definitely going better than I expected. I didn't think there'd be anything worth watching, but Jinrui has been an unexpected delight.

cajunator

Banned
I have so many shows on backlog. Some of them airing, some have aired and sit on CR to pick at later. Others sit on my shelf still in the wrapper. So much anime cries for my attention, trying to claw its way out of its confines and force itself into my eyesockets, moaning sweet nothings of jealousy and rage. "Why did you watch Green Green and not me?" "Surely if you watched Maburaho then I'm good enough for you, Cajun". These thoughts haunt me daily. I should have saw it coming.... I shouldn't have opened the door.....
Oh God here it comes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom