• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't realize that Ultimadrago was even gone long enough to need to go back and respond to old posts. It's been a slow day.

Fuck, at least you've STARTED one. I haven't touched any summer shows yet.

Why haven't you started watching Joshiraku?
yWFll.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 08
The problem with this cartoon (beyond the high expectations set up by the staff, the unfulfilled promise of kinetic action instead of dumb shounen histrionics with power levels, the obviously low budget, the dumb characterisation, the awful pacing within the episodes, the drift from the traditional Saint Seiya theatrics into more kiddy-friendly stuff like elements and boarding schools, etcetera) is that there is a lack of purpose behind the story. The first episode started very promisingly by introducing Kouga and setting up a vaster war behind his ordeal towards finding Saori... only to put that into the background by making the plot meander into some silly shit arse school bullshit that feels nothing like the original show. In that regard, episode eight is a vast improvement. It reminds the audience of what originally was at stake and brings back tropes like
Bronze vs Gold fights and the futility of the former fighting against their superiors
. Nothing spectacular, but at least it is a step towards something more familiar and welcoming for the old fans.

Show still sucks. :( Umakoshi where art thou?

Branduil

Hyouka 10

It's really unfair how good this series looks.

The scene with Houtarou and Irisu in the tea room was really wonderful. I loved how the editing and camera work was used to illustrate Irisu's control over the conversation. It's directing 101 stuff, but it's utilized very effectively:

I really like where this series is heading in terms of character development. It pleases me that the characters aren't remaining static, but are clearly changing and revealing new sides of themselves through their interactions. And I can't wait to see the ending of this arc. It's painfully obvious the other shoe is about to drop, and Houtarou has made some amateurish mistakes that he's going to need to account for. It's going to be fun.

As they say, pride cometh before a fall.

iBtrjnjRxbM09.jpg

I'm sure some people in this thread will view this as a self-aware joke.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 13
HNl3Q.jpg

Who the fuck is that old guy?
What a great way to end the show. Sure they didn't kiss, but I loved the every step of the way. Though this episode would have been much better with Oka in it.
Oh before I forget, I'm still puzzled by all the alien imagery. Like UFOs and shit. Oh well, I guess there's a reason the show was called Mysterious Girlfriend X

Campione! 02
vC1oF.gif

An owl summoner. Sounds low on the superpower list.

A decent episode. First half was basic high school, little sister, new member to the harem, why is this girl in my bed again antics. At this point, most protags should realize a transfer student is basically a death flag.

Part two got into the action and that was pretty cool. I see they are still using fancy magic circles and more fancy sword summoning skill montage but the rest was still pretty cool.

Tourism to Italy will probably take a hit after this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 09
Another Saint Seiya cartoon where every Saint is capable of thinking outside the box and solving problems with more than just burning your Cosmo and the sixth sense and all that shit! ...Except for Pegasus.
The scene with the Wolf Saint was actually very well animated (not shown here cause I suck at making gifs).

Space Brothers 10:
Another really refreshing episode. I enjoyed the psychological effects of seeing the applicants locked up and the random questions and bits of dialogue. It all felt really natural, and they did a great job of building up the supporting cast. I loved the contrasting scenes showcasing Kenji and Mutta's completely different views on everything. They make quite the pair.

Watching this show is just such a great overall experience. It always leaves me feeling refreshed.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Saki Episode of Side-A - 12 [END]

Man, that last match was intense. Kinda bummed
they ended it in the middle of the semi-finals, but here's hoping another season will be out shortly
. They sped through a lot of the matches, but the ones they did focus on had more crazy effects for crucial moments than what I remembered from the main series.

I don't know whether I should start reading the manga to find out what happens next or wait patiently for another season to come out. Very solid show, would definitely recommend it.

DiGiKerot

Saki Episode of Side-A - 12 [END]

Man, that last match was intense. Kinda bummed
they ended it in the middle of the semi-finals, but here's hoping another season will be out shortly
. They sped through a lot of the matches, but the ones they did focus on had more crazy effects for crucial moments than what I remembered from the main series.

They are making another three episodes of Senriyam...errr... Achigahen at some point in the future, presumably for the BD release, I guess. The problem is that with this last episode they've either caught up to or just slightly passed where the manga has reached (as did the original Saki back when it aired), so there's not likely to be enough in the way of material for them to make another series any time soon.

I don't even think there's been enough mainline Saki for them to make another series of that yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom