• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accel World 14

XGzIo.jpg

Come on Chiyu, the whole point of this show is online fighting games are srs business. You should know this by now!

I think Chiyu kicking Haru when talking about the future husband thing kind of lends some more credence to the idea she is in love with him while Taku gets left in the cold with the long cables and whatnot. She was also a total bro to Haru this episode, so that's always good.

I really like both the new OP and ED. Seems like interesting stuff is coming up. Most curious about the return of motorcycle dude. One thing I'm not looking forward to is the potential for fights outside the game. Really hope Physical Burst is very rarely used, and when it is, it's only during cool situations like when Full Physical Burst was used.

Also, I wish this was made less obvious:

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They are making another three episodes of Senriyam...errr... Achigahen at some point in the future, presumably for the BD release, I guess. The problem is that with this last episode they've either caught up to or just slightly passed where the manga has reached (as did the original Saki back when it aired), so there's not likely to be enough in the way of material for them to make another series any time soon.

I don't even think there's been enough mainline Saki for them to make another series of that yet either.

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Guess I'll be waiting for a bit after the BD releases come out.

Jex

The future in which Space Brothers takes place is a fantastical realm where it's actually possible to find employment. It's just too different from real life to be believable.

Well Space Brother's is set in the future, and Mutta has an engineering degree!

jman2050

Something seems really off about the female character designs in Accel World and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is exactly.

Narag

Wrath of the Ninja

This is the 1989 movie version of Yotoden OVAs. I've been wanting to revisit this show again and opted to check out the movie version for the first time in forever. I've always had a soft spot for the show and its nice to see I still enjoy it.

It's about three ninjas banding together to stop Oda Nobunaga after he'd destroyed their hometowns and clans. Each wields a sacred sword passed down from one generation to the next and overcome various trials & tribulations before the final confrontation. At face value, that doesn't sound too great but it really is neat. There's plenty of ninja action, a varied cast, and some wonderful monster designs that come together in a fun package.

The caveat here is that this version is edited down from three 45 minute OVAs to a roughly 90 minute movie. If I recall correctly (and I might not as it's been a while), there's characterization lost as scenes with the supporting cast are outright missing, events only alluded to in the movie are actually portrayed in the OVAs, and there's some historical associations lost as the movie opts to focus on the main trio. It's not bad but due to personal preference I do prefer the OVAs. This is still rather accessible for someone looking for a ninja action flick at least.

The Oboro ninja are rather cool. Varied in ability and design, they make great foils for the protagonists.

I've always been fond of Ayanosuke's garb in the first act of the movie (or the first OVA). It's pretty, it's unique, and was probably a pain to animate.

I'm reminded of the conversation over dated anime that was held recently. I think the below image of Oda Nobunaga is just that due to the portrayal as an adult male rather than the young girl modern historians agree on her to be.

Koroviev

Mysterious Girlfriend X 13 END

That's it? I really like this show. The art style makes it feel like some strange forgotten series of the 90s. Episode 12 felt kind of weak to me, but I think the series ended on a good note. I don't know, I could easily have imagined it as a 26-episode series. There aren't very many highs and lows. It's just a fairly subdued, relaxing show. I want more :(

7Th

Something seems really off about the female character designs in Accel World and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is exactly.

They have flat-faces; almost as if they had been take out of a PA Works show. Horizon also had the flat-face look.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 13 END

That's it? I really like this show. The art style makes it feel like some strange forgotten series of the 90s. Episode 12 felt kind of weak to me, but I think the series ended on a good note. I don't know, I could easily have imagined it as a 26-episode series. There aren't very many highs and lows. It's just a fairly subdued, relaxing show. I want more :(

Yeah, I wish their were more. Despite it's premise, I found the show very relaxing and rather heartwarming too.

duckroll

After going through the last 5 pages, I've learned that I should skip ep13-14, and just wait for ep15 of Accel World. That seems like the safe choice. I'm sure the big fight in 15 will start with 5 minutes of shounen exposition with the two characters explaining why they're fighting in the game world anyway. :)

Jex

[Eureka Seven AO] - 13

Amazing. This series has added another plot element, or rather, revealed another plot element, which sill surely please firehawk12.

I think I may finally be on board with this show now. Everything that's going still feels a little but silly but perhaps I've just come to accept that.

I've been indoctrinated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can feel the rage already.
You know you love it!

[Eureka Seven AO] - 13

Amazing. This series has added another plot element, or rather, revealed another plot element, which will surely please firehawk12.

I think I may finally be on board with this show now. Everything that's going still feels a little but silly but perhaps I've just come to accept that.

I've been indoctrinated.

I expect absolutely nothing from this show anymore, so when
Eureka freaks the fuck out and makes her Ao-horror face for no real good reason when she meets the Chief for the "first" time
, I just treat that as S.O.P. For me, it's become the equivalent of JJ Trek.

Ultimadrago

While I'm flattered that you feel I'm extensively knowledgeable in the intricacies of the anime industry, I'm not really sure where you got that idea.

Honestly, I mostly assumed this.
Regardless!

Wrath of the Ninja
I'm reminded of the conversation over dated anime that was held recently. I think the below image of Oda Nobunaga is just that due to the portrayal as an adult male rather than the young girl modern historians agree on her to be.

Man, Sengoku Collection sucks.

Jex

Cartman-kun is refreshingly honest and a breath of fresh moe air. When every single anime protag is a sterilized Kyon/Kyousuke clone, I'm holding you all responsible!

You're presenting a false dichotomy, my friend. Why must it be a choice betwixt bland-protagonists and pathetic, crying-protagonists?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, I think Dresden would want you to read The Marriage Plot. It's his favourite book, so I hear.

I should really stop making Laws of Eternity references without labeling them, hahah.

From what I gather, Dresden certainly has interesting taste in literature, so I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or not!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Seiya Sins 10
You know what this means...
Utena has nothing on the true stairs animu.
This is what I've been waiting for these last ten episodes. Umakoshi sakuga is BACK. Or at least that's the impression I get. I don't read Japanese so I can't verify if his name is in the credits. So fucking cool either way.
be still my heart <3

Uchip

Banned
I expect absolutely nothing from this show anymore, so when
Eureka freaks the fuck out and makes her Ao-horror face for no real good reason when she meets the Chief for the "first" time
, I just treat that as S.O.P. For me, it's become the equivalent of JJ Trek.

JJ Trek made sense!
AO is closer to shutter island with evil yaoi magicians

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I should really stop making Laws of Eternity references without labeling them, hahah.

From what I gather, Dresden certainly has interesting taste in literature, so I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic or not!
I'm not a believer of God Eagle. :(

Funny enough, he finished the book and I couldn't get past the first third. lol

JJ Trek made sense!
AO is closer to shutter island with evil yaoi magicians
JJ Trek makes sense if you forget all of Trek and just go with it!
(And poor Scorsese.)

Soma

Accel World 11 (and like... half of 10)

Damnit AnimeGAF you broke me. I could've watched something on my backlog or did something worthwhile with my time but nooooooo I just had to see what the fuss was about.

Eh in any case this was pretty alright. Maybe I got my hopes up too much but I still don't have any desire to watch more of the show. I really don't like the designs in the virtual world except for Black Lotus. The second half was cool but I dunno. I'm still not sold on the show even for these kind of action scenes.

Ah well. Maybe I'll give episode 12 a shot.

Also, yes Kuroyukihime is best waifu.

Jex

Eh, his design seems too cartoony and moe to me to really be gross.

You're correct. Theoretically cartman-kun should be fat and unsightly, but his design is so perfectly rounded and soft that he's actually cute.

Just another lie about obesity from Accel World!

Dresden

What do you like more, The Marriage Plot, or the grungiest fantasy book you've ever read?

Not answering that because it's all your fault and right now all I can think of is the time when the girl tells her fucked-up lover that her fetish is to imagine herself getting spanked as a young child by her father so he strips her and beats her before fucking her in the ass as she pleads with him to stop but it's all okay because IT'S LOVE AND SHE'LL STAY WITH HIM AND SAVE HIMFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not answering that because it's all your fault and right now all I can think of is the time when the girl tells her fucked-up lover that her fetish is to imagine herself getting spanked as a young child by her father so he strips her and beats her before fucking her in the ass as she pleads with him to stop but it's all okay because IT'S LOVE AND SHE'LL STAY WITH HIM AND SAVE HIMFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is not the first time I've seen you reference this.

Like I said, interesting taste in literature!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom