• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They should really just retire characters that they're not going to implement in any significant way. Futari wa Pretty Cure aired ~10 years ago, most of the viewer base wasn't even born then. I imagine that that girl is probably in the minority for even knowing who
Honoka/Cure White
is.
I assume that's for teen girls who have to babysit their imoutos. Nostalgia bombs and all that.

---

I imagine I'm LTTP, but these look kind of nice:
5ui3B.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I assume that's for teen girls who have to babysit their imoutos. Nostalgia bombs and all that.

Remember that year when I got my parents to spend hundreds of dollars on plastic shit for that Pretty Cure show only to play with everything for a few weeks and throw it all away when I got bored with it? Natsukashiiii~

7Th

Remember that year when I got my parents to spend hundreds of dollars on plastic shit for that Pretty Cure show only to play with everything for a few weeks and throw it all away when I got bored with it? Natsukashiiii~

They can sell old, discontinued toys to otaku on Yahoo Auctions.

Jex

It's cool though because after an entire novel's worth of this shit the girl finally snaps out... actually, wait, no, the guy leaves HER.

And then she goes and fucks the friendzoned friend (whose best friend turned out to be gay on their eurotrip, which got awkward because he sucked his dick one drunken night) who's been helplessly in love with her, BUT he figures out that it's probably not a good idea so he leaves her too.

So after an entire fucking novel the girl never learns ANYTHING except random lines quoted out of fucking BARTHES.

I think you need to put down your copy of The Marriage Plot.

They are making another three episodes of Senriyam...errr... Achigahen at some point in the future, presumably for the BD release, I guess. The problem is that with this last episode they've either caught up to or just slightly passed where the manga has reached (as did the original Saki back when it aired), so there's not likely to be enough in the way of material for them to make another series any time soon.
4chan rumor is that it might be a webcast, for the last three episodes, but there's no date on it yet.

I don't even think there's been enough mainline Saki for them to make another series of that yet either.
Yeah, the first season got up to chapter 50-something, the end of the regional team tournament. Then it added an arc for the regional individual tournament that isn't in the manga, before ending. It also expanded on things like the training camps versus the manga, too. Now, over 2 1/2 years after the first season ended, the manga series is only at chapter 99. Yes, it's slow. Lots of skipped releases, lots of "only one chapter this month" (Saki is supposed to be every other week, but often only runs once a month), and the chapters are only 8-16 pages, too (unlike the Achiga-hen manga, which is monthly, but has 35-70 page chapters and does not skip releases, so in just a year it got 12 eps worth of material... that artist --it's drawn by the Bamboo Blade artist, though thankfully written by Ritz... saying "thankfully" because of how atrociously horrible Bamboo Blade's manga's final arc, and ending, were, but anyway, that's a different subject.) isn't quite as good as Ritz, but clearly draws faster.

Anyway, Saki, the manga, is currently behind Achiga-hen's current place -- as I've said before, the most recent chapter, 99, just finished Kiyosumi's B-side quarterfinals. That match took 31 chapters to complete. So yeah, basically there's only a small number of chapters between the end of Saki S1 and the beginning of the quarterfinal, but then it goes on for a long time before just ending. So, anyway, is there enough material for another season of Saki? Not for a 2-cour season, no. There probably would be enough for a one-cour season that just does through the quarterfinal, though... though how long that match would take could vary, depending on how they pace it. I mean, it is a lot of chapters (31, plus like 10-15 for the preliminaries, opening round, etc.), but some of them are pretty short, so maybe you could do all that in one cour... though with this show more is generally better, as you can see with Achiga-hen -- that four-episode Teru/Toki/Kuro/other girl match was great in large part because of how much time it got, after all.

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Guess I'll be waiting for a bit after the BD releases come out.
See above.

Fairy Tail 139

What the fuck is going on in this show? This continues to be the weirdest filler I have ever seen and it's still topping itself. This is like One Piece Movie 6 levels of WTF toneshifts.

I also would have had no idea what they were talking about during the Kinana flashback if I didn't already know about her from the FT wikia. Fuckin Mashima choosing not to flesh out an interesting character.

Izayoi

Banned
Another 1-12:

Man, I've seen some shit, but I don't think I've ever seen a hanging scene that graphic in an anime before. Even I had trouble watching all of that, and anyone who is familiar with me from IRC knows that says a lot. Some pretty gruesome deaths aside (was surprised how un-censored some were), it actually had a conclusion, which seems to be a rarity nowadays - especially with adaptions. That aside, none of the girls really stood out to me, unfortunately. Mei was the best one, simply because she wasn't fucking bonkers like the rest, but even then I only think she stood out because the rest of the cast was so zealous. It's rare that yandere is done well, and this show is definitely an example of how not to do it. Oh well.

Another 1-12:

Man, I've seen some shit, but I don't think I've ever seen a hanging scene that graphic in an anime before. Even I had trouble watching all of that, and anyone who is familiar with me from IRC knows that says a lot. Some pretty gruesome deaths aside (was surprised how un-censored some were), it actually had a conclusion, which seems to be a rarity nowadays - especially with adaptions. None of the girls really stood out to me either. Mei was the best one, simply because she wasn't fucking bonkers like the rest, but even then I only think she stood out because the rest of the cast was so zealous. It's rare that yandere is done well, and this show is definitely an example of how not to do it. Oh well.

Most of the show, I'm just thinking "wow, this has no qualms about graphically killing off teenagers", but then I realized American slasher films do the same thing, lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Seiya Sins 12
OMGWTFBBQFTW!!1!!!!1!!1!11
AND THEN RYUHO DID THE RISING DRAGON THING ZOMG

Also included: A long hamfisted explanation about how and why the Saints' Cloths work differently than thirty years ago. They could have saved on the babble by just saying "we want to sell new toys".

7Th

Coming soon to a vending machine near you.

I wonder if they actually advertise that; I was just thinking of all the vintage collectors that buy old Kamen Rider henshin trinkets also being interested in the Precure equivalents...

Also included: A long hamfisted explanation about how and why the Saints' Cloths work differently than thirty years ago. They could have saved on the babble by just saying "we want to sell new toys".

The only toys they've announced so far are some keychain mini-dolls and otaku-aimed figures, though.

sleepykyo

Another 1-12:

Man, I've seen some shit, but I don't think I've ever seen a hanging scene that graphic in an anime before. Even I had trouble watching all of that, and anyone who is familiar with me from IRC knows that says a lot. Some pretty gruesome deaths aside (was surprised how un-censored some were), it actually had a conclusion, which seems to be a rarity nowadays - especially with adaptions. That aside, none of the girls really stood out to me, unfortunately. Mei was the best one, simply because she wasn't fucking bonkers like the rest, but even then I only think she stood out because the rest of the cast was so zealous. It's rare that yandere is done well, and this show is definitely an example of how not to do it. Oh well.

Umbrella > hanging. Then again, I've owned a couple of those umbrellas before.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I actually only own two figures: the Panty and Stocking Nendroids. Shit is too expensive for me. Gotta save money for those animator doujinshi auctions during Comiket season.
Did you ever get the Nia ceiling poster or whatever you were asking for back then?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wonder if they actually advertise that; I was just thinking of all the vintage collectors that buy old Kamen Rider henshin trinkets also being interested in the Precure equivalents...

If the Precure franchise survives as long as Kamen Rider there might be a market for vintage toys someday, although I imagine that the toys are much more mass-produced than Kamen Rider memorabilia from the 70s and 80s.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the Precure franchise survives as long as Kamen Rider there might be a market for vintage toys someday, although I imagine that the toys are much more mass-produced than Kamen Rider memorabilia from the 70s and 80s.
You're forgetting the Japanese girl part though. Value +100%.

Izayoi

Banned
Most of the show, I'm just thinking "wow, this has no qualms about graphically killing off teenagers", but then I realized American slasher films do the same thing, lol
It started feeling like I was watching Final Destination: Otaku Edition by the end there, especially with some of the more ridiculous deaths
like the NEET killed by the backhoe, lol?

Jex

Hyouka 11.5

It should be a crime to present their animation like that.

It's the cleverest move I've seen from a company in awhile. Now you really have to buy the BD!

Oh, wait, pardon me, SHAFT invented this for Bakemonogatari, although I assume someone has had stream-only episodes before...or have they?

Can anyone else in this thread think of any examples where a company released episodes via webstreaming only (as companion to their broadcast show)?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Doctor Who crossover episodes are some of the worst in the entire run. It's difficult to give every character due weight when everybody is trying to steal the show from one another.

Crossovers really only work in video games.
Even Star Trek couldn't do Kirk + Picard properly!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 13
All the Bronze Saints get cool constellations like Pegasus and Dragons while a lot of the Silver Saints are stuck with shit like... Flies. :/

The fact that they still feel the need to spend half the episode on recapping what happened twelve weeks ago shouldn't irk me. :/ But it does. Overall a weaker episode than the past three despite some revelations about Eden's past (
the Ikki-like character has a shady background and may be working against the main cast? NO WAI
)
Even Star Trek couldn't do Kirk + Picard properly!
Doctor Who > Star Trek

It started feeling like I was watching Final Destination: Otaku Edition by the end there, especially with some of the more ridiculous deaths
like the NEET killed by the backhoe, lol?

The curse apparently likes to troll people too, like the guy at the end
who escaped the backdraft from the room filled with fire, and then a column randomly falls on him as he runs away.

Another turned out pretty terrible at the end, that whole last episode was shockingly stupid from start to finish. Mei is still the finest example of eyepatch moe ever conceived though.

Just five and a half hours until Gary Stu Online...

I'm pretty pumped for the scene where Gary realizes that
the hottest chick in the whole game who is also a top player has had a crush on him for 2 years now and also she can cook.
The wish-fulfillment in Reki Kawahara's stuff is mindblowing, this guy just doesn't give a fuck.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch Seiya Sins 14
Right now I'm just glad I didn't drop the show. It definitely improved from the dull beginning and the Umakoshi sakuga is finally delivering in spades. I would not fault anyone if they don't pick it up again, however.

Thought they were gonna pull another Camus vs Hyouga here, but thankfully that wasn't the case.
Kid Yuna is adorable~

I'm finally caught up with this! Now I can go to bed.

Dresden

I'm pretty pumped for the scene where Gary realizes that
the hottest chick in the whole game who is also a top player has had a crush on him for 2 years now and also she can cook.
The wish-fulfillment in Reki Kawahara's stuff is mindblowing, this guy just doesn't give a fuck.

Nah they won't be covering that, this episode should be the Aria in the Starless Night, which covers floor-one shenenigans and how Gary Stu and Mary Sue met.

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 13

This show is in the zone now, riding the peak of the wave of insanity, barely avoiding being dashed against the surf. There are definitely enough plot hooks introduced now where I think they might be able to maintain it.

I want Truth to die, but I'm pretty sure he won't.
This is speculation, but from that trailed-off comment by Eureka about half-Coralian kids and trapar concentration and unspecified danger, I'm afraid of some insane time-loop shenanigans that make him Eureka's son.
I'm not putting anything past this show anymore.

This episode also confirms something that always seemed weird to me about the premise; that Secrets have been appearing for centuries and causing nuke-sized Scub Bursts wherever the coral randomly appears, which humanity was helpless to prevent until a decade prior to the show. That seems like it'd put a damper on civilization, wouldn't it?

I have no idea why Bones thought they had to develop the plot in this direction, but I'll keep following it as long as it keeps being entertaining.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Heartcatch Seiya Sins 14

Right now I'm just glad I didn't drop the show. It definitely improved from the dull beginning and the Umakoshi sakuga is finally delivering in spades. I would not fault anyone if they don't pick it up again, however.

Thought they were gonna pull another Camus vs Hyouga here, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Kid Yuna is adorable~

I'm finally caught up with this! Now I can go to bed.

I'm personally going to wait for it to finish so I can marathon it in one go, but your reports are restoring my hope this might be good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom