• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I would start to clean my room

Not really that messy. But...where's the moe? I don't see any moe :(

I remember it Cajuu!!

Glad you have some time on your hands though. Life should be enjoyed, whether one is busy or not.

It's like this cup of delicious coffee. After I'm done drinking it, I'll have another!

Coffee is life. One of my greatest pleasures is a nice cup of coffee.

You are a god among men.

Also, I feel ever more comfortable in my decision to ignore everything but Jinrui wa blablabla this season.

Jinrui is fucking amazing. Good choice.

Coffee bros!

There should be an anime about coffee, at least a 4koma!

So - how do you drink your coffee?

I agree. a coffee anime would be even better.

I drink a local Louisiana brand that is hugely popular called community Coffee and I just add a little bit of creamer to it. No sugar or whipped cream or milk. Blissful.
I really love frozen coffee drinks though. We have this thing called a caramel mochasippi and it is fucking godly. Its similar to Starbucks frappucino without the shittiness of being Starbucks.

Firemind

Sword Art Online 2

soa1.jpg

Well that was dumb.

They introduced a character and offed him within fifteen minutes. Ignoring that I don't really care about the guy, I don't know why he didn't just take the potion Kirito offered. Is he stupid?

As for the production, there were a fair amount of stills at the beginning of the fight. Thankfully, it got better when Kirito joined the fray, but it was still a bit rough around the edges.

His motivation to go solo is understandable, since the rest besides Asuna, bald guy and orange top are forgettable. Personally, I'd have asked Asuna to remain in the party, since you know.

The character designs are not the show's strongest point. I mean, shit, one month has passed and they're still wearing leather armour and using bread knives. That or the itemization in the game is just terribad.

cajunator

Banned
Is Sword Art Online anythingl ike the Disgaea anime, Ragnarok the animation, Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Syphonia/Phantasia animes? I enjoyed those. I hate MMO's but I like anime based on MMO's.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online

I was prepared to be all disappointed with how immediately boring it got, but the ending justified my #hatewatch. Fuck this fucking show.
Fucking Noble Loner bullshit
. What a stupid cop out. It always has been, and always will be. But at least other shows have the good grace to save it for the ending of their stories.

Dresden

The character designs are not the show's strongest point. I mean, shit, one month has passed and they're still wearing leather armour and using bread knives. That or the itemization in the game is just terribad.

They're basically stuck in pre-skeleton king areas of D3 A1, what do you expect?

cajunator

Banned
I never understood the disdain for anime endings. Japan likes to end stuff on an ambiguous note. Thats how they roll. They dont seem to like tying everything together with a nice neat bow. Or maybe they just need the manga sales.

Sword Art Online 2

Well the coat is nice but otherwise I agree. A month and they could have got better stuffs.

Jarmel

Banned
I never understood the disdain for anime endings. Japan likes to end stuff on an ambiguous note. Thats how they roll. They dont seem to like tying everything together with a nice neat bow. Or maybe they just need the manga sales.

That's called shit writing.

We just want closure. Or justification for watching the past 12/24/whatever episodes.

Firemind

They're basically stuck in pre-skeleton king areas of D3 A1, what do you expect?

They explained in the episode that the beta testers were hogging all the quests and rewards. You'd think Kirito wouldn't have the same getup as in episode 1, but there you go. At least he got something new to wear this episode. Still, bad game designer is bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They explained in the episode that the beta testers were hogging all the quests and rewards. You'd think Kirito wouldn't have the same getup as in episode 1, but there you go. At least he got something new to wear this episode. Still, bad game designer is bad.
When your piece of shit protagonist has plot armor, does it matter what he's actually wearing?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I like endings that aren't happy. Bittersweet is okay too, but I really dislike a tidy resolve. Ending things with ambiguity or open-endedness is just fine as long as the show was good, and the points leading up to it were good. Spice and Wolf II had a pretty ambiguous ending, and I would have liked to have seen it continue, but I am fine with it ending there as well - even though the book goes on.

After watching three or so anime that ended open ending, introducing some new entity, new enemies, new plot points in the final episode, it kind of makes me feel a bit distressed that I basically just watched prequel the anime or whatever.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

And we all say AMEN.

I drink a local Louisiana brand that is hugely popular called community Coffee and I just add a little bit of creamer to it. No sugar or whipped cream or milk. Blissful.
I really love frozen coffee drinks though. We have this thing called a caramel mochasippi and it is fucking godly. Its similar to Starbucks frappucino without the shittiness of being Starbucks.

Nice. I buy coffee from different coffee shops in the area, and make it at home with a hand grinder and a Hario V60 (Japanese pour-over and kettle). Incidentally, it makes the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted. So good, that putting even a drip of milk in it would ruin the whole thing :(

Coffee is fucking awesome when it isn't burnt, or stale, like how most ordinary places serve it.

NewFresh

Coffee bros!

There should be an anime about coffee, at least a 4koma!

So - how do you drink your coffee?

Depends on the coffee, of course. Brewed coffee I have black with a really small amount of sugar. When I do a french press, no sugar. Espresso or Americano, no sugar, just black.

And yourself?

Edit: Usually buy beans from this place called Amerabica. When in Milwaukee, Alterra. Recently I tried Blue Bottle....I miss it :(

I knew you were a good guy from the get go.

Soma

Well with all the hate and disdain for beta testers in that world, you'd think it wouldn't be wise to stand out so much thus potentially giving yourself away. Now that he's pretty much outed himself, he can go be Internet Batman all he wants.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I can understand that but for me, the journey is the fun part. I couldnt care less about endings.

Exactly. People get so hung up on endings, as if that's the only part of the show that matters. The journey is the show dawg. I prefer an ending that doesn't bring a definitive resolve. It's kinda like life, shit doesn't always get wrapped up pretty, some questions go unanswered. Endings are over-rated.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can understand that but for me, the journey is the fun part. I couldnt care less about endings.

How do you enjoy a journey without investing yourself in characters? They're inseparable. I feel cheated if I care about a character only to be denied the knowledge that they've achieved their goals or found resolution in some capacity.

Articalys

SAO 2

Good episode. Yoshitsugu Matsuoka did a good job with
the laugh and speech at the end

Kokoro Connect 2

I love the dialogue and interactions in this show.
Didn't expect the cause of the main soul swap gimmick to be some supernatural being messing around with them just for kicks.

NewFresh

And we all say AMEN.

Nice. I buy coffee from different coffee shops in the area, and make it at home with a hand grinder and a Hario V60 (Japanese pour-over and kettle). Incidentally, it makes the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted. So good, that putting even a drip of milk in it would ruin the whole thing :(

Coffee is fucking awesome when it isn't burnt, or stale, like how most ordinary places serve it.

Nakama!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hmmm were there any prominent coffee-sipping female anime characters? I think I need to draw something sexy that involves a girl, and her coffee.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Star Driver, Macross Frontier, Darker than Black S2, and Sacred Seven for starters.

I thought Star Driver was fairly conclusive. Was it not? Also, didn't they leave DtB S2 like that because they wanted to have the opportunity for S3? Not sure about SS.

Lain

Dakara boku wa whatever 1

Not really interesting, but this seems to fill the slot left open (in my heart) by Queen's Blade Rebellion, complete with dresses breaking apart and tits in full glory.
I do pity the MC though, he's just an healthy dude getting taken advantage by this beauty who also utterly destroy his house. Though the fem-dom parts in the episode weren't bad.

Kazzy

I guess I would start to clean my room

You should get to that, before something tries to eat you.

Open endings are usually crap.

Usually, just smacks of lazy writing for the most part. There is nothing wrong with an ambiguous ending, but you have to earn it, or at least deliver some sort of worthwhile payoff.

I was going to suggest Eden of the East as an example, but I actually can't remember how it ended. But I remember liking it, I think...

Dresden

He didn't find an upgrade. Or the upgrade didn't suit him. Or the upgrades aren't visually different from what he started with. None of those are unlikely scenarios.

SAO is very flawed, but you guys attack the most random shit sometimes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dakara boku wa whatever 1

Not really interesting, but this seems to fill the slot left open (in my heart) by Queen's Blade Rebellion, complete with dresses breaking apart and tits in full glory.
I do pity the MC though, he's just an healthy dude getting taken advantage by this beauty who also utterly destroy his house. Though the fem-dom parts in the episode weren't bad.
Why would there be a slot in your heart for Queen's Blade Rebellion?

cajunator

Banned
Exactly. People get so hung up on endings, as if that's the only part of the show that matters. The journey is the show dawg. I prefer an ending that doesn't bring a definitive resolve. It's kinda like life, shit doesn't always get wrapped up pretty, some questions go unanswered. Endings are over-rated.

So true.
I think one show that demonstrates this very well is Kino's Journey.
The ending is as open ended as it gets but its an absolutely perfect ending for the series.
It wasnt shit writing, it was masterful.

As for my investment in characters, I do care how some end up but part of what I enjoy in anime is thinking about the possibilities of how characters will end up.

Firemind

He didn't find an upgrade. Or the upgrade didn't suit him. Or the upgrades aren't visually different from what he started with. None of those are unlikely scenarios.

SAO is very flawed, but you guys attack the most random shit sometimes.

Or the character designer has been goofing off. I wouldn't have made it such an issue if it was some random studio, but this is A-1, one of the more prominent studios in my opinion. The backgrounds are lush and the music is excellent, but the character designs are, eh.

Dresden

Sword Art Online - 02

This episode is weird--the chapter that it adapts from came years after volume 1 came out. It's basically an instance of a writer going back and trying to 'fix' something that needn't be fixed. The stuff at the end is just really terrible, and also goes against how Kirito is depicted as a character following this episode. Just really bad, all around.

It's depressing because I still enjoy the virtual-world mechanics, but it's layered in with all this garbage character writing. Hey, just like Accel World!

CtsqQl.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I thought Star Driver was fairly conclusive. Was it not? Also, didn't they leave DtB S2 like that because they wanted to have the opportunity for S3? Not sure about SS.

Star Driver was a straight up cop out in that Tails couldn't decide between Sonic and Knuckles. Macross Frontier pulled the same shit despite the romance being a huge component of the show. As for DtB S2, they pretty much set up the world ending and cut the show right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom