• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

You are a god among men.

Also, I feel ever more comfortable in my decision to ignore everything but Jinrui wa blablabla this season.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is actually my show of the season, but Jinrui comes at a very close second. Of, these shows aren't really comparable to each other on any level, which just goes to show that there's still a nice diversity of shows this season.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Kiiiiiiiiiiinda don't care about the LNs. Kinda don't care about what hasn't happened yet.

I'm just watching the show as it goes and basing my opinions on what's being presented to me.

That's fine. Just saying how much shit was left out. lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, to those of you that care about SAO, if you want to put it into perspective, Episode 2 is Aria in the Starless Night. It's not a single chapter, it's an entire LN with a total 35000 words basically, condensed into a single episode. So... needless to say, a fuckton of stuff was left out.

Wait they condensed an entire volume into a single episode? I heard they just cut out a lot from a chapter, not an entire volume.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Natsuyuki is pretty incredible so far - but I wonder how the plot will pan out with so many episodes left. The ED is spectacular. It's also wife approved, not that it really matters to me!

fertygo

Nice sakuga is all I can ask for otaku anime like SAO, and preferably not too dumb (if want to go with that route, at least the anime being obvious about that)

So I take all this negative comment about SAO eps 2 as Horizon still the best otaku anime this season!!!

Dumb? HAH! Horizon is beyond that!

Kuroko's Basketball

MOAR AOMINE!!! Best baller is the best.

kayos90

Wait they condensed an entire volume into a single episode? I heard they just cut out a lot from a chapter, not an entire volume.

Yeah. It's pretty much an entire volume. I mean... I don't know how many words the other volumes are but judging from my scroll bar they're basically the same... So yeah. They took bits and pieces that could make a cohesive and comprehensible story and took everything else out. So yeah, they took out a lot of important stuff.

Instro

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is actually my show of the season, but Jinrui comes at a very close second. Of, these shows aren't really comparable to each other on any level, which just goes to show that there's still a nice diversity of shows this season.

Jinrui over Tari Tari huh? Seiji Kishi has truly redeemed himself.

Jarmel

Banned
I did enjoy the whole bit with Kirito being a tank type and Asuna being a glass cannon(guessing burst DPS type due to speed).

Yeah. It's pretty much an entire volume. I mean... I don't know how many words the other volumes are but judging from my scroll bar they're basically the same... So yeah. They took bits and pieces that could make a cohesive and comprehensible story and took everything else out. So yeah, they took out a lot of important stuff.

People were saying the staff was only going to animate through Vol3-4. With them doing an entire volume, I'm guessing that number is going to change now?

kayos90

I did enjoy the whole bit with Kirito being a tank type and Asuna being a glass cannon(guessing burst DPS type due to speed).

He's not a tank. He just parries/ripostes everything. The game is not really about tanking or anything of the sort. It's about who can use their skills to the fullest and play with just skill, which is why it was so popular at the time.

People were saying the staff was only going to animate through Vol3-4. With them doing an entire volume, I'm guessing that number is going to change now?

From what I understand, SAO will have two cours? 1-25 will be the SAO arc and the second season will be ALO. There're a lot of side stories in these two stuff so... yeah. SAO will most likely cover all of its side stories which is essentially Vol. 2, vol 8, and extra stuff. Honestly, Vol 1 is the only important part of SAO. Everything else felt like it butchered vol 1 to make stuff extra. blegh.

Vol 3-4 is ALO btw.

Is it just me or SAO looks a lot like the artwork from Etrian Odyssey(great game btw)?
Also, cool episode the first contact between Kirito and Asuma could have been better, a much more cute. But the combat looked nice, and the death scene was kinda comedy. 7,5/10

Is it just me or SAO looks a lot like the artwork from Etrian Odyssey(great game btw)?
Also, cool episode the first contact between Kirito and Asuma could have been better, a much more cute. But the combat looked nice, and the death scene was kinda comedy. 7,5/10
I'm not seeing the resemblance, it's the same character designer as Wagnaria!!/Working!!.

kayos90

Doesn't look the same to me. Also, their first contact was meh.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Sword Art Online 2

Well that was dumb.

They introduced a character and offed him within fifteen minutes. Ignoring that I don't really care about the guy, I don't know why he didn't just take the potion Kirito offered. Is he stupid?

As for the production, there were a fair amount of stills at the beginning of the fight. Thankfully, it got better when Kirito joined the fray, but it was still a bit rough around the edges.

His motivation to go solo is understandable, since the rest besides Asuna, bald guy and orange top are forgettable. Personally, I'd have asked Asuna to remain in the party, since you know.

The character designs are not the show's strongest point. I mean, shit, one month has passed and they're still wearing leather armour and using bread knives. That or the itemization in the game is just terribad.

He didnt take it cause
he was already dead
Not that hard to figure out...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Kokoro Connect 02

At first the show was like, drama!
KS7E1.jpg

wfdGn.jpg

Then it turned into something out of The Twilight Zone

And then it became all about drama and dark past and metaphysical.

Topped all off by more humorous personality switching.

The most awesome show of the season.

Jarmel

Banned
He's not a tank. He just parries/ripostes everything. The game is not really about tanking or anything of the sort. It's about who can use their skills to the fullest and play with just skill, which is why it was so popular at the time.

I kinda figured as much but my mind was watching it as a normal MMO.
From what I understand, SAO will have two cours? 1-25 will be the SAO arc and the second season will be ALO. There're a lot of side stories in these two stuff so... yeah. SAO will most likely cover all of its side stories which is essentially Vol. 2, vol 8, and extra stuff. Honestly, Vol 1 is the only important part of SAO. Everything else felt like it butchered vol 1 to make stuff extra. blegh.

Vol 3-4 is ALO btw.
Hold up, I thought the first cour consisted of 12-13 episodes and was going to be the first two volumes and the back 12/13 was going to be 3-4. You're suggesting a 50 cour?

fertygo

Btw I want to say this about Jinrui, dropping/put that on hold maybe isn't bad thing. Because its seems the anime gonna have un-chronological episode order like Haruhi S1, for example the first 2 eps is from vol.4 of the novel, next two episode gonna from v7 or something.

Soma

He didnt take it cause
he was already dead
Not that hard to figure out...

I actually thought it was
because he knew Kirito figured him out as a beta tester since he saw him going for that last hit and potentially thought that Kirito would spill the beans to his party thus losing their trust.

Or something like that.

To me that's probably the only way I can really justify that scene.

SAO seems more like Phantasy Star Online or Demon's Souls than a traditional MMO with the Holy Trinity. There aren't any healing classes and everyone tanks damage if they are on the "front line" as opposed to the "back line" and every player switches between front and back depending on if they have an attack ready to use or need a moment to heal themselves or charge their next attack.

The whole front/back line thing makes me think of Final Fantasy titles which used the traditional ATB, before the PS2 era. You could assign your party members to front or back line and they take less damage from attacks and do less damage from the back line. That's where you would put Aeris, for example, if you just wanted her to heal instead of actively attack things.

kayos90

Hold up, I thought the first cour consisted of 12-13 episodes and was going to be the first two volumes and the back 12/13 was going to be 3-4. You're suggesting a 50 cour?

I don't know. Maybe I heard wrong. You could be right. If it's 13 episodes to do SAO, that's good pacing imo. There're about 5-7 stories and they can use the rest for the main stuff.

Also,

Vnjjn.png

Firemind

I actually thought it was
because he knew Kirito figured him out as a beta tester since he saw him going for that last hit and potentially thought that Kirito would spill the beans to his party thus losing their trust.

Or something like that.

To me that's probably the only way I can really justify that scene.

That's even dumber. They know when they're killed, they die, right?

Orin GA

You can speak while you're dead.
I see...

Stop pretending like you don't know what I'm talking about. People get mortally wounded in real life and no matter what type or how fast they get the medical treatment they arent going to pull thru. He just didn't want him to waste his potion.
Dudes HP was already reduced to 0 and he was in his final moments. You can't use an HP regen potion on someone with 0HP.

Jarmel

Banned
I also wonder if the bit about Kirito bragging he got the highest in the beta is true. If that's accurate then all of them are fucked as you have 92 floors of untested material.

Kuroko Basketball 15
VvW4z.gif

Woo, the comedy is still really nice. Backstory and stuff isn't bad. Like the short focus on non Kuroko and Kagami members. More extreme basketball time!

kayos90

I also wonder if the bit about Kirito bragging he got the highest in the beta is true. If that's accurate then all of them are fucked as you have 92 floors of untested material.

Lol, why do you think Kirito was like "Oh shit, we're fucked..." last episode?

Firemind

Stop pretending like you don't know what I'm talking about. People get mortally wounded in real life and no matter what type or how fast they get the medical treatment they arent going to pull thru. He just didn't want him to waste his potion.

Should have bought better armour in that case. Dude got oneshot.

Soma

That's even dumber. They know when they're killed, they die, right?

I dunno, maybe the dude
devoted a lot to build up that team and their trust and just thought "fuck it if i don't have them i don't have much to live for anymore".

Or he was mortally wounded and couldn't be healed or whatever.

I don't know.

It's pretty much conjecture at this point though and I'm probably thinking way more into it than I should be.

sonicmj1

What a horrible night for a curse.

Blood-C 1

Well, this is an introductory episode.

The exposition here is pretty silly. Everyone basically says all of Saya's personality traits out loud. "You're so clumsy, Saya! You can't help doing good things, Saya! You're so athletic, Saya!"

Sw5aG.jpg

Utena Saya-sama!

The fight was pretty cool, though.

I wonder if they'll find any way to make those school scenes bearable. What kind of school puts metal chains on the collar of their school uniform anyways?

Jarmel

Banned
Lol, why do you think Kirito was like "Oh shit, we're fucked..." last episode?

LOLOLOLOL, that's a death sentence then. I figured he got high/did well but if he went the farthest and that was only 8 then people are done son. That's like starting to play Diablo Inferno mode you're first time through on Hardcore. Holy shit.

Should have bought better armour in that case. Dude got oneshot.

Twoshot.

kayos90

LOLOLOLOL, that's a death sentence then. That's like starting to play Diablo Inferno mode you're first time through on Hardcore. Holy shit.

That's pretty much the point.

Also, I found this to be a pretty interesting theory from somewhere else.

Accel World x SAO

When Kuroyukihime said her name is muchlike her nickname. Immediately, I have her name in my mind.

Yuuki Hime. Since Yuuki is Asuna's lastname.

Lol, if it's true.

Orin GA

What a horrible night for a curse.

Blood-C 1

Well, this is an introductory episode.

The exposition here is pretty silly. Everyone basically says all of Saya's personality traits out loud. "You're so clumsy, Saya! You can't help doing good things, Saya! You're so athletic, Saya!"

The fight was pretty cool, though.

I wonder if they'll find any way to make those school scenes bearable. What kind of school puts metal chains on the collar of their school uniform anyways?

STOP! DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT $200. Drop it now!

I have been watching series from Yoshitoshi ABe, and now I plan to watch Last Exile from Range Murata. Can I have some suggestions to titles or artists with similar art/animation styles to these two artists' design styles? I truly enjoyed watching Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei and cannot wait to purchase these titles when the FUNi re-releases are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom