• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online - 02
The stuff at the end is just really terrible, and also goes against how Kirito is depicted as a character following this episode. Just really bad, all around.

It's depressing because I still enjoy the virtual-world mechanics, but it's layered in with all this garbage character writing. Hey, just like Accel World!

http://i.imgur.com/CtsqQl.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

What even? I thought it was a step in the right direction for him. It made sense given the circumstances and he really seemed pretty intelligent, cunning, and nice. Kirito is on track for one of the top five best protagonists this season.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
SAO 2

This is pretty entertaining, even if some of the time it's for the wrong reasons.
Kirito walking away at the end was so dumb, but even in this same episode there was a dumber moment, the guy refusing the potion because Kirito was a beta tester, even though he himself was also a beta tester. Yes, kill yourself because someone was a beta tester in a game.

Now a whole week to the next episode. :(

Dresden

Also, since they didn't cover the Sachi/Black Cats stuff in this episode, somehow they're going to cram in all that and the Reindeer/
Kirito beating up Santa Claus
in one episode? We know the Sachi/Black Cats story is in the show because of a certain cut in the PV. So it's going to be rushed as fuck.

I thought Star Driver was fairly conclusive. Was it not? Also, didn't they leave DtB S2 like that because they wanted to have the opportunity for S3? Not sure about SS.

Romance-wise, not really. Explanation of anything was still kinda vague. The end of Star Driver was still pretty cool but I think anything really concluded and I keep thinking a movie is suppose to solve that or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I fucking loved the speech Kirito gave at the end. It's a straight up fuck you to everyone.
It's a fuck you to anyone with any common sense, that's for sure. :/

I'm still not entirely convinced that you're not just extremely tsundere for SAO!
No, I genuinely despise it. Some shows are bad, some are destructive. Basically, it's the K-town of an anime season full of Barter Kings and Storage Wars shows.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a fuck you to anyone with any common sense, that's for sure. :/.

Wait weren't you the one who hated the show because Kirito was going to become popular due to how good he was at the game? Instead he takes the opposite approach and you're still unhappy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait weren't you the one who hated the show because Kirito was going to become popular due to how good he was at the game? Instead he takes the opposite approach and you're still unhappy?
He's not though. Like I said, he's doing the
Noble Loner
shit. That's just how
selfless and compassionate
he is after all!

Sword Art Online 2

Good chunk of the boss fight was awesome as hell. Camera was all over the place, but in a good way.

I think the reason I like this so much is because the premise hits close to home. Not in the sense that I hate the real world and want to live a virtual world, but that I'm so damn OCD when it comes to keeping my characters alive in RPGs (at least before the fight ends). Add that in with the fact giving a numerical value to your own life and it becomes horrifying as hell. If I was in this situation, I'd be healing nonstop and probably having a bunch of break downs in the middle of battle. This whole setting is just extremely easy to empathize with even if there's some shoddy character writing at points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's garbage either way, but I think just being a popular dude is more palatable than this noble loner shit.
It's just such a crass way to make him seem sympathetic. It's the nerd equivalent of the stupid "twist" that I saw earlier in From Up on Poppy Hill.

Which makes the fact that there are no classes in the game incredibly stupid. So everyone is Fighter? Boring.

That actually makes it scarier because you need to rely on items which have a limit. I'd just be like "fuck, should I use this potion or save it?" even if I took 1 hp of damage.

Though I do agree, there should have been some other classes that can't heal or something.

Jarmel

Banned
He's not though. Like I said, he's doing the
Noble Loner
shit. That's just how
selfless and compassionate
he is after all!

In a MMO where group play is everything, that's a big deal. I emphasize the word everything. That's as close to committing suicide as you can get barring running a sword through your stomach. I much prefer this than him trying to lead everyone in some large group runthrough.

The guy already has antisocial issues, him adapting a loner profile fits him fairly well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's doing the Lelouch gambit. Make everyone hate him so they give up their petty inter-party mistrust.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In a MMO where group play is everything, that's a big deal. I emphasize the word everything. That's as close to committing suicide as you can get barring running a sword through your stomach. I much prefer this than him trying to lead everyone in some large group runthrough.
Except that this is a work of fiction where the lead character is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, so it's really not.

I mean, at least when (Code Geass spoilers)
Lelouch pulled this shit, he got assassinated for his trouble

Dresden

The guy already has antisocial issues, him adapting a loner profile fits him fairly well.

One thing to go loner, another to make yourself the fucking Batman/Lelouch. It's so laughably grandiose. Fucking garbage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well every show would be better with Lelouch as the main character.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sword Art Online 2

Thought this episode was pretty solid overall. I'm very conflicted because I'm reading the LN and watching the show at the same time. I think the problem I'm having most is that the anime is leaving out a lot of the important and good stuff from the LN and they're also making everything in chronological order. I think this makes the anime a unique take on the original source material but I can't help but feel that they're going to jumble shit up and make Kirito's characterization very weird. I found Kirito fairly consistent and well characterized in vol 1, which is essentially the end game of SAO, but vol 2 fucked that up pretty hard.

However, if the anime is taking an alternate approach as to how they're going to develop Kirito then everything is going pretty well. He established that he pretty much wanted to survive no matter what and he'll do whatever it takes to get the hell out. The development in the ending then sort of makes sense since his actions reflect both escapism and doing things solo. It'll be interesting to see how he develops overall.

The other characters seemed highly irrelevant so far. This episode is supposed to be Aria but they cut stuff out making Asuna very bland much to my disappointment. However, they might do this in favor of characterization and development for later episodes which I can understand. Egil is pretty awesome, moreso here than the LN imo and I look forward to seeing him in action partially because he's the oldest - I think - character we've seen so far. An adult playing this game - and one of the first people who got the game - is surprising to me.

I think I'm getting more and more accustomed the visual style of the characters. I definitely like the LN visuals more but this is suiting as well. The colors glow great and I found the overall direction to be fairly nice. Soundtrack is definitely one of my favorites so far.

I expect good things in the future, but not from the next episode. Blegh.

trejo

Strawberry Panic 11-25

This is a terrible show with terrible characters. Even with generous amounts of fast forwarding every episode seemed to go on forever and yet oddly nowhere at the same time. It's quite astounding.

I'm fairly certain that simply hunting down gifs of the yuri moments would've been a much better waste of my time.

Jarmel

Banned
My fundamental problem with this show is that it will justify his anti-social bullshit. What happened at the end of episode 2 is just a piece of that puzzle.

We'll see. I expect him to get some grief and drama down the road both short term and long term over what he did. Good writing would make him suffer big time over what he did but I haven't read the novels so I don't know how it's going to play out.

kayos90

We'll see. I expect him to get some grief and drama down the road both short term and long term over what he did. Good writing would make him suffer big time over what he did but I haven't read the novels so I don't know how it's going to play out.

You should really read it because I think you'll see a big difference between the characterization in LN and in the anime already. Also, if the current attitude goes on for 24 episodes, or however long, I will shoot myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know anything about the novels beyond what Dresden has told me, but I'm pretty sure I know where the story is going.

Lain

What makes the difference for you between QB and Ikki Tousen, Sekirei, Ninja tits, etc?

No real difference. I more or less like all of them, except for Sekirei, since I haven't watched that yet, though I bought the first manga volume this month and if I'll find it entertaining maybe I'll watch the anime too.

wonzo

Banned
Poyopoyo 28
poyo28.jpg
poyo28a.jpg
owned

poyo28bike.jpg

Jex

Sword Art Online - 02

This episode is weird--the chapter that it adapts from came years after volume 1 came out. It's basically an instance of a writer going back and trying to 'fix' something that needn't be fixed. The stuff at the end is just really terrible, and also goes against how Kirito is depicted as a character following this episode. Just really bad, all around.

It's depressing because I still enjoy the virtual-world mechanics, but it's layered in with all this garbage character writing. Hey, just like Accel World!

So, it's essentially worthless? You're doing a good job of convincing me not to watch it.

kayos90

Also, to those of you that care about SAO, if you want to put it into perspective, Episode 2 is Aria in the Starless Night. It's not a single chapter, it's an entire LN with a total 35000 words basically, condensed into a single episode. So... needless to say, a fuckton of stuff was left out.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Strawberry Panic 11-25

This is a terrible show with terrible characters. Even with generous amounts of fast forwarding every episode seemed to go on forever and yet oddly nowhere at the same time. It's quite astounding.

I'm fairly certain that simply hunting down gifs of the yuri moments would've been a much better waste of my time.

Wooo, another person to add to the collection.

Soma

Also, to those of you that care about SAO, if you want to put it into perspective, Episode 2 is Aria in the Starless Night. It's not a single chapter, it's an entire LN with a total 35000 words basically, condensed into a single episode. So... needless to say, a fuckton of stuff was left out.

Kiiiiiiiiiiinda don't care about the LNs. Kinda don't care about what hasn't happened yet.

I'm just watching the show as it goes and basing my opinions on what's being presented to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom