• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

So basically, you dont like anything at all this season.
Sadly. I will probably be lightly amused by Dog Days, Jinrui's not bad I just don't think it's great and hopefully Natsuyuki turns out alright.
And you also totally find Kokoro Connect amazing instead of just 'meh,' right? Right?

Depends by what metric I'm rating it on. Some of the bad shit is truly some kind of amazing just not in a good way.

sonicmj1

Blood-C 6

Yes. Yes.

svJc5.jpg

Blood for the blood god! Skulls for his skull throne!

Looks like this party's getting crazy.

Uchip

Banned
So basically, you dont like anything at all this season.

I thought sword art might be good, but ep 2 passed the boundaries of stupidity
needed more nerd rage and less cliche

space bro's is still good, but that's not this season specifically

The show can't be too real or then it would be lame!

but it can be too fake, very easily
giving everyone different coloured hair to differentiate them (and a token black guy) is a sign of poor design

its almost like MMO tropes are the equivalent of their reality.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
In real games is it really the person who deals the final blow, gets the special awesome item and everyone else gets, just congrats? (Ive never played a real MMO)

It's kinda more like you kill the boss, loot drops, and the guild leader assigns the loot by a point/bidding system.

Random pick up groups (PUGs) simply roll (a die) on it.

Andrew J.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 07

I assume every conceivable joke about
Persona 4
has already been made?

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I think this show's confused about how amnesia works. The person with the head bandage is supposed to be the one who forgets!

Thoraxes

In real games is it really the person who deals the final blow, gets the special awesome item and everyone else gets, just congrats? (Ive never played a real MMO)

It really depends on the game, but I don't doubt it having been done before at all.

Usually in most games, there's a loot table with predetermined drops, and then a specific sum of those drop per boss. It's then (usually) up to the group to determine how to distribute them (of which there are many ways, such as DKP (NSFW Language), etc.). Most of these kills tend to be done by guilds, which for MMOs tend to be by raiding guilds that have players of a certain competency participate.

Now, i'm not entirely sure how SAO works because this is the first
boss and we didn't see any other loot other than what Kirito got,
but it seems that the rules they went with were to
let the game decide the rolls for the drops. I think that the death of Diabel was interesting, because if that's the only way loot works from bosses in SAO, he was essentially using the whole group to get items only he'd be able to attain, full well knowing that the last attacker gets the items(s) that drop off a boss.

Uchip

Banned
It really depends on the game, but I don't doubt it having been done before at all.

Usually in most games, there's a loot table with predetermined drops, and then a specific sum of those drop per boss. It's then (usually) up to the group to determine how to distribute them (of which there are many ways, such as DKP (NSFW Language), etc.). Most of these kills tend to be done by guilds, which for MMOs tend to be by raiding guilds that have players of a certain competency participate.

let the game decide the rolls for the drops. I think that the death of Diabel was interesting, because if that's the only way loot works from bosses in SAO, he was essentially using the whole group to get items only he'd be able to attain, full well knowing that the last attacker gets the items(s) that drop off a boss.

Game sounds worse than Final Fantasy 14

wonzo

Banned
SAO 2

Yeah, it makes total sense to alienate your single biggest chance of getting out of this dumb game alive. Combine that with the MC talking about the importance of partying up only to cast aside his only party member at the end and this show sure is off to a great start!!!!

oh well, at least there was a bit of sakuga in this ep

sonicmj1

Blood-C 7

Well, I have no idea how the chaos of the last episode was cleaned up so neatly, but at least some things are starting to make a little more sense.

dbOwu.jpg

Maybe just Clamp sense.

Is there some
MGS2 S3 Project type shit going on here? That's what it's starting to sound like, though I can't imagine a reason that makes sense.

I don't trust Fumito's coffee. It's almost too good. Like Rick's Bread.

A lot of the fight choreography here was rather odd.

QiuNG.jpg

Blood-(on the)Camera

All this foreshadowing has to pay off eventually, right?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Bros 09

They are dealing with some very heavy issues for a show that's supposed to air early morning. I enjoy the fact that they don't over-dramatise
the dangers of space travel
. A lesser animu would have made Nanba wallow in his sorrow for an entire arc until he discovers the power of love and determination or some shit like that.
Space Bros is, besides thoughtful, incredibly charming. The show has a lot of neat little touches that don't add much to the story but help make the characters more endearing, like Mutta's silly gestures when he thinks nobody's watching. Animu of the year so far to me.
Oh Mutta, you silly, silly manchild.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO 2

Yeah, it makes total sense to alienate your single biggest chance of getting out of this dumb game alive. Combine that with the MC talking about the importance of partying up only to cast aside his only party member at the end and this show sure is off to a great start!!!!

oh well, at least there was a bit of sakuga in this ep

It makes more sense if you read the LN. Making the show chronological order is not helping it all that much.

That's the point. The dude in actuality is pretty much a dick in the LN.

Narag

Riki-oh: The Wall of Hell

Dog Soldier left me in the mood for manime and boy did this deliver. It's a 48 minute 1989 adaptation of the manga which also spawned the infamous live action movie. The OVA follows the same prison story as the live action version but it's distinctly different. It's a little less crazy than the live action (which is still pretty damn crazy given the set bar) and lacks the comedic elements. It's a straightforward tale of revenge and people getting their shit wrecked. I'm going to assume it was appropriately shortened as only two of the prison wing bosses were present rather than jamming everyone in (I say this assuming the movie is a closer adaptation). As for highlights, the greenhouse fight between Riki and the south wing prison boss was pretty fucking cool.

Riki-Oh himself.

The manliest of manservice.

Even Riki-Oh isn't invicible. He's simply nigh invincible.

Beautiful.

Articalys

Super Space Brothers 16

The mysteries continue. I have a fairly good guess of what's going on, but a few parts of it might be wrong.

Mutta continues to be as awesome as ever,
saying that incredibly cliche line about friendship right after Serika had the idea but though better of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom