• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna 2
ibrKp15KjXvSNf.jpg

If you went back in time and met Georgina Washington, you'd want to date her too, wouldn't you?

Also, I guess it's clear that there's
absolutely no timeline to preserve. Either that, or he doesn't give a fuck. So I'm more inclined to believe it's an alternate universe than anything else anyway.

Anyhow, for the real "what if life was a video game" show, clearly Oda Nobuna is better than SAO. At least it's a case of a guy using his nerd knowledge in "real life"! (And Nobunaga's Ambition > all MMOs ever made put together).

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3

Did this just shift from uncomfortable schoolgirl guro masquerading as a robot show to an awesome military mecha show with a hard rocking soundtrack?? I.. I think it did. I can't believe it turned around this episode after that start and I can't fucking believe the first two episodes even exist. This is where it should have started.

Shame it's still ugly though.
'Tis a shame, interest lost.

Geneijin

I liked Nabari's art. It reminded me of Loveless, which none of you will have watched because eeew yaoi but was visually much more interesting than I was expecting, particularly the fight scenes.

Nabari's story... ehhh, not sure.
There are more reasons to not watch Loveless than the yaoi. Namely, the nekomimi pandering.

Jex

Though really it simply uses manga as a device to explain how ideas spread and influence other ideas
until Apple comes along and sues you for patent infringement

Theoretically, yes but I don't really buy that. In actuality the episode expressly deals: yaoi, fan girls and their relationship with the material they consume,, fan circles fan manga production and comiket.

Andrew J.

Lagrange S2 02

Interstellar peace through yuri! Yay! ^_^

The Vox might be more than a weapon...I'm gonna guess it's got super terraforming powers a la the Genesis Device.

BluWacky

That's kind of a lot of time to spend addressing a tangent that doesn't advance any of the themes of the show. Jexhius says that he doesn't need every episode to focus on Watashi and the suffering of the people around her, but I feel that any episode that doesn't directly deal with that is a missed opportunity given the quality and freshness of the material in the first two episodes. This is worrying.

I don't think episode 3 ignores this, particularly from the mediator's point of view - the setup comes about in the name of researching the history of humanity pre-decline, and she spends most of the episode when she's not narrating saying what pointless crap most of this is when it's not directly contributing to the historical research project.

I'm not defending the episode as a whole - it's not particularly interesting until the end, showcasing very little of the bizarre sense of humour that made me enjoy the first story so much. I also think that kifujin behaviour and doujin circles could be treated more interestingly - and probably more humourously - than they are here.

What is a bright spot is that the end of the episode - and therefore the setup for the next one - is much more promising.

Lagrange S2 ep 14
tumblr_m77w8aXVa31qbxqfpo1_500.png

The action was decent but so short lived. Much of the rest was really boring and just plain shocking...
Two moments of Muginami x Madoka declarations of love, and then even more so many actual kisses between Lan Muginami and Madoka, I dont even, not what I signed up for
. Probably the most boring episode since that midnight naked bathing on the beach last season.

I do like the rest of the actual space plot, big things must be bound to happen, for sure.

Caesnd

People find Muv Luv watchable now? I actually feel bad for the people having to work on that.

Lets pray for the second coming of Noboru Ishiguro, so he can to bring salvation to us all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think episode 3 ignores this, particularly from the mediator's point of view - the setup comes about in the name of researching the history of humanity pre-decline, and she spends most of the episode when she's not narrating saying what pointless crap most of this is when it's not directly contributing to the historical research project.

I'm not defending the episode as a whole - it's not particularly interesting until the end, showcasing very little of the bizarre sense of humour that made me enjoy the first story so much. I also think that kifujin behaviour and doujin circles could be treated more interestingly - and probably more humourously - than they are here.

What is a bright spot is that the end of the episode - and therefore the setup for the next one - is much more promising.

I'll trust your opinion on this and go ahead and watch the episode. It sounds like there's no getting around the fact that this is a weaker episode, but if it's not a sign of complete directionless to come, that's enough to keep my interest from week to week for now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oda Nobuna no Yabou 2

This series is satisfying in a peculiar way. It's one of those rare shows in which a nerd/otaku protagonist is actually able to use his "skills" to gain the upper hand in the situations he faces - like impressing Nobuna by saying things like "this is Japan" or "this is Europe" while pointing to a globe. It makes sense given the setting, but most shows wouldn't let him get away with it because the anime manual apparently states that 95% of all protagonists must be shitty underdogs.

Besides, Nobunaga's Ambition is awesome and Nobuna is teh sexy.

Jarmel

Banned
It is really weird that Accel World picked up so many people, even if it is just for one or two episodes.

Quite frankly because it's just pure action for the most part and doesn't really focus on the shit characters. Even then, there are shitloads of problems with both episodes. It's purely interesting to watch from only a visual point of view. Everything else falls apart.

Jex

I'll trust your opinion on this and go ahead and watch the episode. It sounds like there's no getting around the fact that this is a weaker episode, but if it's not a sign of complete directionless to come, that's enough to keep my interest from week to week for now.

Well it's quite possible that episode four may not require any knowledge of episode three!

Jarmel

Banned
Well it's quite possible that episode four may not require any knowledge of episode three!

I actually greatly enjoyed the episode. Loss of culture is a big worry in a declining society like that. It's also kinda amusing how things get morphed over the years.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I interpreted BluWacky's phrasing regarding "the end of the episode - and therefore the setup for the next one" to imply that there would be some sort of continuity between episodes three and four. I suppose I'll just have to interpret things for myself when I get around to watching the episode.

Soma

This is pretty much my thoughts on this whole arc as well.

I was feeling a bit worried for most of the episode that the magic of the first two episodes had been lost but the last scene rejuvenated my hopes that the next episode will come back to that.

But yeah, it was a weak episode but also somewhat interesting. I mean the very thought that
BL manga basically started a new printed renaissance in this world
is pretty hilarious in its own right.

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3

Did this just shift from uncomfortable schoolgirl guro masquerading as a robot show to an awesome military mecha show with a hard rocking soundtrack?? I.. I think it did. I can't believe it turned around this episode after that start and I can't fucking believe the first two episodes even exist. This is where it should have started.

Shame it's still ugly though.
The first episode was guro-free wasn't it?

Guro makes me super uncomfortable and a little sick, but I really loved the atmosphere of the first two episodes. It truly felt like humanity was on the brink of destruction.

Jarmel

Banned
The first episode was guro-free wasn't it?

Guro makes me super uncomfortable and a little sick, but I really loved the atmosphere of the first two episodes. It truly felt like humanity was on the brink of destruction.

I'm still watching the second episode but really this feels like a shitty version of Blue Gender. Hoping the change in 3 works out better.

Dresden

I interpreted BluWacky's phrasing regarding "the end of the episode - and therefore the setup for the next one" to imply that there would be some sort of continuity between episodes three and four. I suppose I'll just have to interpret things for myself when I get around to watching the episode.

Yeah, I think you're worrying way too much over an episode you haven't watched yet. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna no Yabou 2

This series is satisfying in a peculiar way. It's one of those rare shows in which a nerd/otaku protagonist is actually able to use his "skills" to gain the upper hand in the situations he faces - like impressing Nobuna by saying things like "this is Japan" or "this is Europe" while pointing to a globe. It makes sense given the setting, but most shows wouldn't let him get away with it because the anime manual apparently states that 95% of all protagonists must be shitty underdogs.

Besides, Nobunaga's Ambition is awesome and Nobuna is teh sexy.

So basically, this show is better than SAO!

Reknoc

Thinking about it, maybe I should have waited until this arc was over before catching up on Hunter x Hunter. Waiting is pain.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oda Nobuna - 02

aC5Qt.png

"Don't stutter when you're talking about doing something illegal!"

Good to see the MC isn't some useless nerd, and is willing to
sacrifice himself for the sake of others (or country in this case) without a bat of an eye.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, I think you're worrying way too much over an episode you haven't watched yet. :p

I freak out easily over things like this :(

I probably also shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Jinrui at its worst is still probably better than anything else this season.

Joshiraku 02
E8pJq.gif

Still has all the amusing puns from the last episode, so still good.

The last skit was probably the best. All those child names.

I'm still watching the second episode but really this feels like a shitty version of Blue Gender. Hoping the change in 3 works out better.
It's been a long-ass time since I watched it, but weren't they kind of on the offensive in Blue Gender? I mean, they had that space ship or whatever that they could just hang out on. In Muv Luv humanity is scrambling to defend itself in any way it can from a seemingly infinite swarm of monsters.

Jarmel

Banned
It's been a long-ass time since I watched it, but weren't they kind of on the offensive in Blue Gender? I mean, they had that space ship or whatever that they could just hang out on. In Muv Luv humanity is scrambling to defend itself in any way it can from a seemingly infinite swarm of monsters.

In Blue Gender they were conducting mostly offensive operations at this point because the Earth was a living shithole and completely wrecked. They had established a base in space but at that point it was mostly just holding on. They had already lost and were conducting guerilla warfare at that point. Blue Gender was really the aftermath. Blue Gender also depicted the whole thing about anyone dying at any time in a better fashion I believe compared to Muv-Luv and I thought was more horrific. Part of that is due to the superior artstyle in BG(very little CG as far as I can remember which makes a world of difference) but also the fact that they spread out the killings a bit unlike Muv where they massacred almost the entire squad in a single episode.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange - 14

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That aside, I enjoyed this episode.
The Vox seem to be evolving, or at least Midori has, Megumi Nakajima's deeper woman voice is great, chuuuuuuuuu~ (good thing that bitch Mugi didn't get any love from the pimp known as Kyouno Madoka), Lan's failure in this scene was hilarious, I wonder what exactly is going on with Midori, and finally the cause for the War has been revealed. I'm curious as to how it'll all get solved in the end.

The nakama are back together, asylum has been sought for on Earth, and a space-nakama seem ready to join in the fight. I'm also glad Youko's research seems to be progressing in interesting ways, proving some insight into the past, and Asteria seems to be working in some deeeeeeep shit right now.

Madoka was great this episode.

As for that next episode preview: What is with the
excessive blushes (followed by lip touching, surely, our yuri is progressing nicely), Asteria unbuttoning her shirt, rabbit punching in Midori, a dog face, a first "Summer Experience", Array wears... a female kimono, Vigigiiigiv looking like a bawss, Tadoko taking abuse from the main ladies (I hope he NTRs Youko's research assistant), Moid is smug, and FLOWERS EVERYWHERE.
I have no idea what the next episode is going to be about.

Arcana Famiglia 3
tumblr_m77w9j08Ch1rwt94zo1_500.jpg

Possibly the best episode yet. So many hilarious moments. Liberta was so funny laughing, and clapping, and I loved that we got a peak into his background. Really hope its explored much more. Pace was even funny too. The ending is catchy.

The scary story was scary and I dont even know if Elmo was a ghost or not :/ but creepy if he was, wow

I think my top three of the season are definitely
1. Arcana Famiglia
2. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
3. Kokoro Connect

Rinne no Lagrange - 14

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That aside, I enjoyed this episode.
The Vox seem to be evolving, or at least Midori has, Megumi Nakajima's deeper woman voice is great, chuuuuuuuuu~ (good thing that bitch Mugi didn't get any love from the pimp known as Kyouno Madoka), Lan's failure in this scene was hilarious, I wonder what exactly is going on with Midori, and finally the cause for the War has been revealed. I'm curious as to how it'll all get solved in the end.

The nakama are back together, asylum has been sought for on Earth, and a space-nakama seem ready to join in the fight. I'm also glad Youko's research seems to be progressing in interesting ways, proving some insight into the past, and Asteria seems to be working in some deeeeeeep shit right now.

Madoka was great this episode.

As for that next episode preview: What is with the
excessive blushes (followed by lip touching, surely, our yuri is progressing nicely), Asteria unbuttoning her shirt, rabbit punching in Midori, a dog face, a first "Summer Experience", Array wears... a female kimono, Vigigiiigiv looking like a bawss, Tadoko taking abuse from the main ladies (I hope he NTRs Youko's research assistant), Moid is smug, and FLOWERS EVERYWHERE.
I have no idea what the next episode is going to be about.

sure, the time for yuri subtext is over.

Dresden

Oda Nobuna - 02

Good to see the MC isn't some useless nerd, and is willing to
sacrifice himself for the sake of others (or country in this case) without a bat of an eye.

You know, I just realized that since the MC took over Hideyoshi Toyotomi's role in history, his One True Pairing is...

YpoTll.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oda Nobuna 2

Hey, this is still pretty fun! Although Ieyasu....

Hideyoshi is already messing with the timeline, though!
I doubt it will have any repurcussions in this case.

The MC is my favorite so far from any of the more haremy shows this season, he makes money like a boss, captures provinces, etc, etc.

Preview for the next episode looks good too,
lots of fighting going on.

There's going to be an episode where's she's gonna go for it. Calling it now.

That was already joked about in the first episode. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom