• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Well, they never state what stats/level Kirito is, maybe the leader has piss poor stats/level which is why he's aiming for the last attack bonus item to power himself up.

Not poor, but
Kerry-Toe does have better stats and weapon.

Death in SAO is kinda weird--everyone always seems to have a few seconds get some words in before they go poof. So
you can put that down as being responsible for that otherwise really weird scene where Kirito offers him a potion but he turns it down; dude was already at 0 hp and he knew it. Although that doesn't make sense either because you can see the hp of any member in your party/raid at any moment! But then, it could be that Kerry just didn't have that particular window up and had no time to see it.

Still don't know where it's going. Going by ep titles I know what they're going to do but when you leave out so much detail no one has any idea what's happening, or when things get so rushed . . .

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Today's Wall of Shame Update was brought to you by Aniplex and A-1 Pictures, who encourage you to buy more Sony products so they won't go bankrupt!

Cutoff was 100 posts.

Code:
Jexhius 	643
firehawk12 	495
Chet Rippo 	478
Ultimadrago 	472
Mad Pierrot 	412
dakkumauji 	374
Dresden 	359
Dedication Through Light 	355
cosmicblizzard 	333
duckroll 	313
Brazil 	312
wonzo 	290
SDBurton 	287
Narag 	281
Femmeworth 	260
cajunator 	231
Branduil 	211
Uchip 	204
PdotMichael 	202
BGBW 	201
chickdigger802 	177
hosannainexcelsis 	153
Articalys 	151
Envelope 	143
survivor 	135
Firemind 	133
jman2050 	127
kayos90 	126
Instro 	119
moonspeak 	119
Defuser 	113
Unknown Soldier 	111
KO Traveling Hobo 	110
Jarmel 	104
Regulus Tera 	101

No way. I'm on there now? Fuck.

Narag

Oda Nobuna 2

For the life of me, I can't remember why I was excited to watch this shit this week.

DJ6W9l.jpg

Ok the second half made me remember why. The show is so fun when it's conquest and matters of state rather than... the above.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And I hope you guys are joking with this stuff, because this is really taking nitpicking too far. Like dresden said, you're all picking the weirdest stuff to attack. Just enjoy the damn murderous MMO show!

I am literally sending the mangaka a letter of complaint every time I come up with a nitpick. It is vitally important he understands that I only expect the best from my anime.

Firemind

Joshiraku #2

Dat Kumeta metahumour. For a show about cute girls talking about ordinary things, it sure presents shades of social commentary. Also, I wasn't aware there's such a thing as ladies' discount days at movie theaters! My whole life has been a lie!

Green = Purple = Black = Yellow = Red

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Today's Wall of Shame Update was brought to you by Aniplex and A-1 Pictures, who encourage you to buy more Sony products so they won't go bankrupt!

Cutoff was 100 posts.

Code:
Jexhius 	643
firehawk12 	495
Chet Rippo 	478
Ultimadrago 	472
Mad Pierrot 	412
dakkumauji 	374
Dresden 	359
cosmicblizzard 	333
duckroll 	313
Brazil 	312
wonzo 	290
SDBurton 	287
Narag 	281
Femmeworth 	260
cajunator 	231
Branduil 	211
Uchip 	204
PdotMichael 	202
BGBW 	201
chickdigger802 	177
hosannainexcelsis 	153
Articalys 	151
Envelope 	143
survivor 	135
Firemind 	133
jman2050 	127
kayos90 	126
Instro 	119
moonspeak 	119
Defuser 	113
Unknown Soldier 	111
KO Traveling Hobo 	110
Jarmel 	104
Regulus Tera 	101
I came back into this thread in Tuesday and I STILL MADE IT?!

FUCK SHIT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Narag

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3

Did this just shift from uncomfortable schoolgirl guro masquerading as a robot show to an awesome military mecha show with a hard rocking soundtrack?? I.. I think it did. I can't believe it turned around this episode after that start and I can't fucking believe the first two episodes even exist. This is where it should have started.

Shame it's still ugly though.

Dresden

Did this just shift from uncomfortable schoolgirl guro masquerading as a robot show to an awesome military mecha show with a hard rocking soundtrack?? I..I think it did. I can't believe it turned around this episode after that start and I can't fucking believe the first two episodes even exist. This is where it should have started.

. . . oh god, I think I'm going to watch this.

Did this just shift from uncomfortable schoolgirl guro masquerading as a robot show to an awesome military mecha show with a hard rocking soundtrack?? I.. I think it did. I can't believe it turned around this episode after that start and I can't fucking believe the first two episodes even exist. This is where it should have started.

Great to know it may have redeemed itself.

NeonZ

SAO 2

Seriously, did the writer finish the first novel/chapter or w/e and realize this badass grim mmo story won't sell, and flip the genre or something?

I'm not sure if that's the case for some of the scenes in episode 2, but apparently the light novel ended very fast, going through the whole game in a single volume. Afterwards, the author went and wrote side stories taking place before the ending. The anime is following chronological order, modifying events to insert the side stories in the main narrative.

Cutoff was 100 posts.

Code:
Jexhius 	643
firehawk12 	495
Chet Rippo 	478
Ultimadrago 	472
Mad Pierrot 	412
dakkumauji 	374
Dresden 	359
cosmicblizzard 	333
duckroll 	313
Brazil 	312
wonzo 	290
SDBurton 	287
Narag 	281
Femmeworth 	260
cajunator 	231
Branduil 	211
Uchip 	204
PdotMichael 	202
BGBW 	201
chickdigger802 	177
hosannainexcelsis 	153
Articalys 	151
Envelope 	143
survivor 	135
Firemind 	133
jman2050 	127
kayos90 	126
Instro 	119
moonspeak 	119
Defuser 	113
Unknown Soldier 	111
KO Traveling Hobo 	110
Jarmel 	104
Regulus Tera 	101

Well, hmm...

OceanBlue

I did a search and found nothing on this forum, so I'm just going to put these two Tumblr accounts here. Fans of anime production art should appreciate them quite a bit I think (I think some pictures might be nsfw, but it's so random)

http://unkoer.tumblr.com/ (this one in particular is absolutely massive)
http://unkoest.tumblr.com/

Sorry if it's very old.
It might have already been posted (I don't know if it has or hasn't), but for people like me who haven't been around for a while, it's really nice to see. Plus, I love supplementary material like this. Thanks for posting it.

Jex

[Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined] - 3

Jinrui32.jpg

Contemporary reference time.

Well, the word on the street regarding the production of this weeks episode appears to have been correct. It contained a rather noticeable amount of cost-cutting techniques such as pans across stills, zooming in on stills and repeated use of the same still. It wasn't anything nearly as bad as, say, a really rushed SHAFT episode, but it still looked noticeably worse compared to the first couple of episodes.

However, there's more bad news, I'm afraid. The lively, sharp direction of the first and second episode has been replaced by some rather stilted cinematography and bland editing. I'm not sure who, exactly, was responsible for this episode but unlike the first episode, which was directed by Harume Kosaka (who has been around for awhile, apparently) there just wasn't anything exciting going on visually. I would describe it as "fine" but it really wasn't doing anything for me. This may just be the result of a rushed production or the team being short staffed, I really don't know.

Jinrui33.jpg

I don't think the material is as exciting or fresh either. Stories about manga publishing are extremely common so it doesn't quite have the same appeal as, say, dealing with a food shortage during the decline of humanity. I'm not saying every episode needs to be about mediator-chan and people suffering terribly, but I think it makes better material.

Still, this episode was not without it's moments, including honest too goodness 2D car animation. Holy shit!:

Jinrui31.jpg

I do approve of the episode trolling the audience, but I don't want to spoil that moment for people who have yet to see it.

survivor

Banned
I did a search and found nothing on this forum, so I'm just going to put these two Tumblr accounts here. Fans of anime production art should appreciate them quite a bit I think (I think some pictures might be nsfw, but it's so random)

http://unkoer.tumblr.com/ (this one in particular is absolutely massive)
http://unkoest.tumblr.com/

Sorry if it's very old.

I like seeing this stuff and wish I had more blogs like these bookmarked. Thanks for posting them.

Jex

[Space Brothers] - 16

This show is rock solid. Whatever they're production arrangement is it really seems to be working because this has been a very consistent series. It's never really been that visually interesting, however the characters and writing really carry the work forward despite that.

It is, however, rather hard to write about considering how little actually happens each episode. It's usually just a series of interesting character interactions.

Jex

[Accel World] 11 - 12

I have seen the light and it is glorious. I was about to assemble a selection of screenshots from the best moments in this two-parter but the majority of them have already been posted in here. When this show dedicates itself to dealing with in-game matters I enjoy it immensely, despite, or perhaps because of, how silly it is.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of the combat is how clearly thought out everything is. Classes, attributes, abilities and how they all work together in a logical fashion. It's satisfying to see fights were the fighters take into account the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents when battling them, rather than simply hitting them harder.

Of course, it does eventually seep into real world crap towards the end of episode twelve, but that's to be expected.

[Accel World] 11 - 12

I have seen the light and it is glorious. I was about to assemble a selection of screenshots from the best moments in this two-parter but the majority of them have already been posted in here. When this show dedicates itself to dealing with in-game matters I enjoy it immensely, despite, or perhaps because of, how silly it is.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of the combat is how clearly thought out everything is. Classes, attributes, abilities and how they all work together in a logical fashion. It's satisfying to see fights were the fighters take into account the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents when battling them, rather than simply hitting them harder.

Of course, it does eventually seep into real world crap towards the end of episode twelve, but that's to be expected.

Now watch episode 5 and 7 as well as 2 if you're daring.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not sure if that's the case for some of the scenes in episode 2, but apparently the light novel ended very fast, going through the whole game in a single volume. Afterwards, the author went and wrote side stories taking place before the ending. The anime is following chronological order, modifying events to insert the side stories in the main narrative.

Yeah except episode 2 is massive condensed version of a 35000 word volume, which is the size of a regular volume. Uh... so yeah.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is really weird that Accel World picked up so many people, even if it is just for one or two episodes.

Jex

I wonder how much better Accel World would be if Cartman-kun had the same mannerisms as the real Cartman from South Park.

Unfortunately that would pretty much ruin the way the whole show works, so I don't believe it would improve anything.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
[Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined] - 3

Ugh, so it really did go into otaku culture reference territory. I'm going to hold off on watching beyond episode two until next week to see whether or not Humanity Has Declined has declined for good. This isn't the kind of subject matter that I want to see the show tackle.

Reknoc

Ugh, so it really did go into otaku culture reference territory. I'm going to hold off on watching beyond episode two until next week to see whether or not Humanity Has Declined has declined for good. This isn't the kind of subject matter that I want to see the show tackle.

Episode 4 is going to be part 2 of what was started in episode 3 though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No. It has some really cool fight scenes and Black Lotus is a BA. Yellow Radio is pretty cool though cuz of Ishida.
I know it has cool stuff in it, I'm just surprised it picked up people I wouldn't expect anywhere near it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Episode 4 is going to be part 2 of what was started in episode 3 though.

That's kind of a lot of time to spend addressing a tangent that doesn't advance any of the themes of the show. Jexhius says that he doesn't need every episode to focus on Watashi and the suffering of the people around her, but I feel that any episode that doesn't directly deal with that is a missed opportunity given the quality and freshness of the material in the first two episodes. This is worrying.

Jex

That's kind of a lot of time to spend addressing a tangent that doesn't advance any of the themes of the show. Jexhius says that he doesn't need every episode to focus on Watashi and the suffering of the people around her, but I feel that any episode that doesn't directly deal with that is a missed opportunity given the quality and freshness of the material in the first two episodes. This is worrying.

Jinrui/Humanity has Decliner is, inherently a strange beast. It's a an anime directed by the guy who directed Angel Beats and Persona 4 and the original light novels were written by a guy who has only ever made 'adult' and 'all age' visual novels.

It's a very bizarre series of works and I still don't quite understand how the series got green-lit.

Anyway, it certainly wouldn't be the first show to fall apart after two episodes but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well episode 3 simply explains why
they are now trapped in a manga
Episode 4 may not even deal with the otaku culture if that is what you fear. Though really it simply uses manga as a device to explain how ideas spread and influence other ideas
until Apple comes along and sues you for patent infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom