• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, I just realized that since the MC took over Hideyoshi Toyotomi's role in history, his One True Pairing is...

YpoTll.jpg

Yup. From the time that she said her name was Nene in the first episode, I've had to brace myself for the inevitable loli romance.

I didn't notice that Momo is the only one who looks happy in that picture. :p
Yuri thoughts carried her through! (And really, you'd never noticed that before? It's one of the highlights of the image.)

Saki Picture Drama - 06

YEmPJ.png

Adorable!

This episode was really sweet. Mihoko really is best waifu.
Yeah, that was a good one.

Saki Picture Drama - 07

Wat. And that outfit Nodoka is wearing is ridiculous.
Yeah, in junior high, it was Yuki x Nodoka, pretty much.
Was that the one with the somewhat infamous mention of IPS, too?

As for the outfit, it's summer... don't people dress down in summer? :)

Sure, it is a pretty skimpy outfit, but that's nothing compared to that summer outfit of Hajime's...

Saki Episode of Side-A - 01

Liking the cast so far for Side-A. Here's hoping their team will be as beastly as Saki's.
Really? One of Achiga-hen's weaknesses is that the main characters don't get nearly as much characterization as the Saki ones, really... well, maybe Toki does, but anyone else? I don't know.

Saki Episode of Side-A - 02

Yeah, have to say this cast is superior to the ones in Saki.
... Why? No way do they match up.

Saki Episode Side-A - 03

I love how they teased
Saki. She looks rarin to go!
Yeah,
Monster Saki's here, and ready to crush everyone!

Also, that mountains shot is silly. :)

Yeah, Saki, Nodoka, and Ueno were the only people I really gave a damn about. But this new cast is just awesome.
As I said above though, most of the Achiga characters have minimal characterization... like, Kuro's my favorite one of them, but she was an afterthought through most of that 4-episode final game... the "Senriyama-hen" jokes are kind of true.

Why in the hell haven't I watched this yet? something is wrong with me I fear.
Don't ask me, you've been told you'd like it many times, but just won't listen enough to actually watch it.

You have a cat avatar. You have 8 lives to spare. :)

Saki Side Episode of Side-A - 04

iRGA9.png

New yuri pair? New yuri pair.
Toki/Ryouka are the stiffest competition Hisa/Mihoko have had yet, I think, yes... definitely a formidable pairing!

Saki Episode of Side-A - 05

Yuu is about to
put a beatdown on the team that made her little sister cry. She's looking fierce!
Yeah, she had some ground to make up.

Saki Episode of Side-A - 06

EN861.png

This battle is about to explode!

Things are really starting to pick up. I'm just the girls aren't blowing the competition out of the water from the get go.
Achiga aren't Kiyosumi, they're not going to win everything thanks to monstrously superpowered players... they've got to use more normal means to win.

Saki Episode of Side-A: 07

4db4c.png

Hell yeah! Stealth Momo!

They are really speeding through these matches. I'm guessing so they can spend a good amount of time covering the finals, but damn.
Hah, we were thinking that, at this point... but no, not quite right. :p

Also, yeah, I like the cameos too. It's cool how Momo really is semi-transparent in that shot, too. :)

Saki Episode of Side-A - 08

Pretty much a power up episode where Shizu and the gang face off against people we know from the main series. MomoxKajiki is OTP.

Considering how they're about to go up against Saki's older sister, I have my doubts of this season ending well. :lol
Teru's only the undefeated, two-time defending champion, what could possibly go wrong?

Saki Episode of Side-A - 09

Teru has that OP Tornado Fist!

Kuro
really needs to get her head in the game, sitting there doing nothing won't get you points!
Teru... Teru's not just good, she's near-unstoppable.
Specifically, nobody ever scores positive points in rounds against her. Not one opponent got above zero against her in the individuals. Yes, she's that dominant.

Saki v Teru is obviously the match that this franchise is building towards. It's surely quite a ways off, but it'll happen eventually, somehow, and it'll be quite a sight to see.

Saki Episode of Side-A - 10

While I'm not a fan of easily won matches, this episode was just brutal. You
get your hopes up for a possible comeback, only to get them crushed by Teru. That girl is ridiculous.
Teru's fake cute persona (from that press conference and such) is pretty silly... I mean, aren't those people watching her matches? Can't they tell that that smile was a complete troll? Or are they too awed by her winning to notice, or something...

Saki Episode of Side- A - 11

Holy shit. Toki is going all in to see this to the end.
:(
Yup. Stupid Toki...
she really was asking for what happened to her in ep. 12, wasn't she...
Saki Episode of Side-A - 12 [END]

The recently-released ch. 12 of the Achiga-hen manga ends with their seeing eachother here.

Man, that last match was intense. Kinda bummed
they ended it in the middle of the semi-finals, but here's hoping another season will be out shortly
. They sped through a lot of the matches, but the ones they did focus on had more crazy effects for crucial moments than what I remembered from the main series.

I don't know whether I should start reading the manga to find out what happens next or wait patiently for another season to come out. Very solid show, would definitely recommend it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39855472&postcount=10223

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3
tumblr_m77zpvD0Mi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Top Gun (Yuuya) and Macaroni and even Takuma (well Vincent sounds like Takuma from Hiiro no Kakera or even Mahiro at times) are all pretty awesome. Chobi is definitely the worst character in the bunch with awful mecha skills. This really should have been episode 1 as it had so many good moments and I cant wait to see even more fast paced urban mecha battles hopefully (as in the fields the ground textures are barf inducing). Battle music could use some work though :/ but a nice turn and great introduction of actually good and compelling characters.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 3

Mankind has declined... However, the desire for homoerotic doujinshi persists.

There's absolutely nothing different between this episode and the previous two other than the fact that this time they use otaku lingo. Apparently, this is enough to offend some. But the general theme of picking up a subject and going off on a tangent (insanely) is still here. It's the same Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 3
tumblr_m77zpvD0Mi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Top Gun (Yuuya) and Macaroni and even Takuma (well Vincent sounds like Takuma from Hiiro no Kakera or even Mahiro at times) are all pretty awesome. Chobi is definitely the worst character in the bunch with awful mecha skills. This really should have been episode 1 as it had so many good moments and I cant wait to see even more fast paced urban mecha battles hopefully (as in the fields the ground textures are barf inducing). Battle music could use some work though :/ but a nice turn and great introduction of actually good and compelling characters.

Did we watch the same show? She pinned him down.

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure 23

HOLY FUCK. That was great. Some good fights. Some cheesy ultra happy nonsense. Great eps.

itDFZ49eLAqsm.gif

yayoi kicking ass was my fav :p

This was hella nice

ibs3aH8IpV3aJh.gif

also: PLEASE MAKE PEGASUS FORM NOT JUST A FINISHER MOVE.

I really must make time for this. a Marathon is in order.

greatest anime about nothing with cute girls since Azumanga Daioh!

and

Black > Yellow > Red > Brown > Green

Ranking pending. So far I definitely like Black and Yellow the best.

Joshiraku 2

Much better than the first episode.

They must be really poor if they only eat outside when they have coupons.

Maybe there are battles for half priced ben-to and they are the non-confrontational sort.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yuri thoughts carried her through! (And really, you'd never noticed that before? It's one of the highlights of the image.)
Well, I also wasn't paying that much attention I suppose. lol

Miyuki Sawashiro.
Ahhhhh, she's Kanbaru. No wonder she sounded familiar. (Also, a Kobayashi-lite!)

Speaking of the actual Jinrui 3 episode, I can understand the complaints. It's a step down from the last two episodes in every respect and going to the "herp derp otaku" well so quickly just seems cheap and desperate. I think someone posted that the idea of a world dominated by
BL
is charming, which I suppose it is, but it's also very boring.

You also have to ignore a lot of the world building from the last two episodes, where people were supposedly starving for lack of meat. I suppose we're supposed to forget that the world is broken for the moment and go with the fact that everyone has
ink, paper, presses and the time to make BL "manzines"

Ah well, hopefully the next arc will be better.

Brazil

This season's OP/ED rankings... Are too easy.

OP

1 - Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi.
2 - Binbougami ga!
3 - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

ED

1 - Binbougami ga!
2 - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
3 - Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi.

And these are not the only shows I'm watching.

Soma

op - jinrui

aka the only one i really listened to from this season

also, the only thing from nano.ripe that i don't completely hate

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I guess I'll have to rate Jinrui as the best purely from a visual perspective. Musically none have really grabbed me. Though usually it takes a few listens for me to really get into one.

Doesn't help that I just got Beat the Beat (Rhythm Heaven Fever) the other day so those songs will be stuck in my head for some time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Smile Precure 23

Holy fuck. HOLY FUCK. That episode was just so god damned SWAG. With no Gintama, this episode has got to be the best shounen moment of the year, hands down.

Happy even used a
rocket jump like a true Quake Pro.

Hell, I'll even ignore the fact that they broke their own rules and let Happy
use her powers twice in a row,
because, what the fuck. lol

Going back to the same old stories is going to be a downer, but I expect the finale to be as awesome as this power up arc.

cajunator

Banned
Jinrui is definitely the prettiest, artwise. Very reminiscent of Tsuritama and thats a good thing. I love that style, if it even has a name.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm no connoisseur but I don't think I've adored any kind of form of visual entertainment more after 8 seconds than the Jinrui OP so that'll have to have my vote.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All the players are in noob armor because item drops in this game suck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh, yeah. You're right. They didn't show any yet, so I didn't even consider them.

Weren't there some store holders shown in another shot. Of course these could be other players selling their wares.

Also to all the Jinrui OP fans, I hope you are all dancing along with it.

cajunator

Banned
So, how much do I have to know about MMO's to appreciate SAO?
and by appreciate I don't mean love, but merely understand what the hell is going on.

Grzi

Finished Sankarea today. Meh.
More like Averagea. The ending was Craparea though.

And out of nowhere, I decided to marathon Power Stone, watched it as a kid and decided to freshen up my memory.

Soma

and by appreciate I don't mean love, but merely understand what the hell is going on.
I never played one but I legitimately like the show.

It does a good job showing off some of the MMO mechanics where I think pretty much anyone would be able to understand.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna reprise:
I forgot to mention something - this show has better direction than it has any right to have for a show about harems and lolis and alternate histories.

yrecml.jpg

Like, what an obvious shot, because he is the personification of all the hopes that the globe represents. Yet, someone actually thought of that and planned it out... so I have to give them props for it.

Brazil

Nothing, to be honest.

It's the MMO anime that sticks to its roots the most, though. Watching Kirito play with the UI makes me wanna resub to WoW or something.

cajunator

Banned
That's good enough for me. As I said I enjoyed other MMO style animu so I will probably like SAO. Of the other ones I liked Ragnarok the animation the best probably.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't like the Jinrui OP at all. It doesn't really fit the tone of the series itself at all, and all the obnoxious jerking around looks really weird. ED is great though.

cajunator

Banned
I don't like the Jinrui OP at all. It doesn't really fit the tone of the series itself at all, and all the obnoxious jerking around looks really weird. ED is great though.

It fits with the bizarreness of the whole thing IMO. Jinrui is really hard to pin down exactly. Its one of the strangest shows I have seen in a while.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Characters with better teamwork and stronger skills dont lose and are not awful. Unfortunately, she does not have either trait and therefore lost. Verily, she is awful.

So it is her fault that her other teammate let the enemy get away while she held shit down on her part. Her teammate didnt even call her to say the enemy got away, AND SHES BAD? Gotcha.

So it is her fault that her other teammate let the enemy get away while she held shit down on her part. Her teammate didnt even call her to say the enemy got away, AND SHES BAD? Gotcha.

Yes it is her fault. Well any good characters would make up for their teams weaknesses and get the enemy accounting for any mishaps that could happen. There were numerous options for her to take, so yes, she is terrible. If Top Gun was in her place then I can imagine he would have pulled through.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure! 23:

AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR. INTO MY VEIIIIIIINSSSSSSSSS.

The plot of the episode has already been covered to death by earlier impressions, so I'll just focus on where this episode was strongest: the animation. Finally, finally enough really fantastic extended fight sequences and great on-model animation to fill an entire episode. The staff are always on their A-game whenever new plastic shit is introduced, but hoooooooly sdhdfkghfgk I will never get tired of watching the new stock footage for the Cures' Super Silhouette-equivalent group attack thing. It's just so EXPLOSIVE. UNICOOOOOOOORNS.

Okay, calming down a little, the episode really was damned good-looking. Frequent usage of broad lines, interesting camera angles and really expressive faces gave the fights a frenetic, dynamic quality well-suited to hand-to-hand combat. The "halfway point" episode in every Precure when the enemies stop hiding behind their Monsters of the Week and confront the protagonists themselves is always a blast, and this was no exception. Wolfrun, Akaoni, and Majolina all got their own really impressive-looking transformations, which upped the tension considerably and provided for more interesting fights. Berserk Wolfrun in particular was downright terrifying:

There was one very glaringly noticeable thing that did mar some of the action sequences, however. Fucking Toei actually REUSED animation from the OP of the show in the fights, as I've illustrated in the following comparison shots. Save it for the All Stars DX movies if you must, you lazy bastards:

Happy:

(OP) http://i.imgur.com/8wNP7.jpg (EP23) http://i.imgur.com/fIQ48.jpg

Sunny:

(OP) http://i.imgur.com/lsijX.jpg (EP23) http://i.imgur.com/bllg0.jpg

Peace:

(OP) http://i.imgur.com/3wwqV.jpg (EP23) http://i.imgur.com/9hHKZ.jpg

March:

(OP) http://i.imgur.com/oHeSt.jpg (EP23) http://i.imgur.com/4yvcW.jpg

Beauty:

(OP) http://i.imgur.com/GbXUA.jpg (EP23) http://i.imgur.com/gereP.jpg

And finally,
Pierrot sucks, ugly-ass gorilla clown. I really hope that Joker somehow stabs Pierrot in the back, takes his power, and achieves final boss status.

smpc23-08w2uff.gif

IN STORES NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom