• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

Well, I was pretty sure I knew what it was but wasn't exactly sure of the specifics of how it works is what I mean. I know all about it and facebook now.

To counterbalance I knew of Wikipedia and Youtube when they were first getting started. People would often ask me "What was that site you went to again?"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
OMGGGGGG I AM NOT LEWD! The hell! Okay, let me make things clear.

1.) I am a dude. A normal dude.
2.) I am not a tsundere. I'm not a tsun tsun.
3.) I think all of those nsfw things that yall talk about in irc is messed up.
4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

So tsun tsun, it hurts (my heart).

Reknoc

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

So tsun~

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE
Hey guys, get a load of this tsundere over here.

Lurky

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

I'm a totally normal dude too. I just happen to be a sadist and lolicon <3

firehawk12

Subete no aware

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

Baka. Bakabakabaaaaaaaaka!

Arcana Famiglia 3

That's 2 worthless episodes in a row. It's like they decided to put a filler arc at the very beginning of the show. Don't know why a 1 cour show would do bullshit like this.

Tentatively dropped until the tournament starts (if it ever does).

Worthless? But this is obviously a reverse harem show, and those are fairly standard harem-show type episodes... it's not worthless, just not battle shonen.

I actually don't even know what irc is. I'm so behind on the internet I had to look up what this "twitter" thing was everyone was talking about like just last year and someone I know asked me if I was on facebook to which I replied "What the heck is facebook?"
IRC has been around since the '90s at least, maybe longer. Most people who haven't heard of it haven't because it's too old, not too new...

Something happened to cajun?
He was banned for a month for posting a NSFW link but not saying it was.

Are they more human than furry or more furry than human?
They're basically humans with animal ears and tails. So yeah, they're barely furry at all, fortunately.

I noted earlier I thought that Red Hawk lifted elements from other shows. Initially I thought it was just some sort of homage but nope, one fight in particular stood out to me and changed my opinion because as I was watching it, I realized I'd seen it before. It was the Ryu vs Sagat intro from the Street Fighter II movie that came out in '94. Given this was released a year later, I think it's safe to say it was ripped off. I even saw elements that reminded me of Dragonball Z and Fist of the North Star but I'd need to be a little more intimately familiar with those shows to actually spot from where stuff was lifted if at all.

And if that's not enough to convince someone, here's this:
ibfc0LCrXfhVls.gif

ibcjJ0y8IrKXq7.gif
Heh, yeah, that is some really blatant copying...

Blood-C 12

I just

what

why

A part of me knew all this was coming, but I didn't actually think it would happen.
It's all an elaborate prank? Some asshole got an entire town built and lured thousands of people there to prove a point? They built a stereotypical anime plot to keep Saya docile, and used heavy-handed exposition to reinforce her artificial personality?
I saw all the signs, but there's a difference between knowing and understanding.
Though I swear I had no idea about those rabbits.
The characters and situation really make no sense at all if you consider them to be human beings, of course. I mean, seriously, sure Saya was on drugs, but come on, how in the world do you explain away things like
how the people rarely actually run away from monsters coming to kill them? Horrible monster approaching, how about we ... all just stand still, doing nothing, until it comes over here and kills us? Sounds good! They only run in ep. 12, and by then it's far too late. Before then, it just makes no sense at all.

Of course realistic human beings are not one of the reasons that people would watch this show, of course -- clamp trolling people is, instead -- but still... the characters, background characters particularly, do not act in a way that makes any sense at all. I know it's probably kind of silly to complain about that in THIS series, but it is true...

Apart from that though, you are right that Clamp did a pretty good job of trolling their audience this time with quite the coverup. Clamp hates anime fans, for sure. :) ... I mean, would someone who likes anime and anime fans make Blood-C? But the plot does have some issues that hurt the series as a whole, outside of the Clamp "fun".

Wrath of the Ninja

This is the 1989 movie version of Yotoden OVAs. I've been wanting to revisit this show again and opted to check out the movie version for the first time in forever. I've always had a soft spot for the show and its nice to see I still enjoy it.

It's about three ninjas banding together to stop Oda Nobunaga after he'd destroyed their hometowns and clans. Each wields a sacred sword passed down from one generation to the next and overcome various trials & tribulations before the final confrontation. At face value, that doesn't sound too great but it really is neat. There's plenty of ninja action, a varied cast, and some wonderful monster designs that come together in a fun package.

The caveat here is that this version is edited down from three 45 minute OVAs to a roughly 90 minute movie. If I recall correctly (and I might not as it's been a while), there's characterization lost as scenes with the supporting cast are outright missing, events only alluded to in the movie are actually portrayed in the OVAs, and there's some historical associations lost as the movie opts to focus on the main trio. It's not bad but due to personal preference I do prefer the OVAs. This is still rather accessible for someone looking for a ninja action flick at least.

The Oboro ninja are rather cool. Varied in ability and design, they make great foils for the protagonists.

I've always been fond of Ayanosuke's garb in the first act of the movie (or the first OVA). It's pretty, it's unique, and was probably a pain to animate.

I'm reminded of the conversation over dated anime that was held recently. I think the below image of Oda Nobunaga is just that due to the portrayal as an adult male rather than the young girl modern historians agree on her to be.

I've seen this before... didn't think it was very good. I mean, it's not awful, it's just ... really, really generic and average. The plot doesn't make much sense either, and yes, a lot of stuff isn't explained well. So it's a condensed version of something that used to be longer? That makes sense... I assume that the original version is better? I guess being a bit longer might help this some. It'd probably still be pretty bland and average, though.

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE
So we now know you are tsundere, then.

Phi Brain 2 ep 15
tumblr_m784e5vQnW1qjx55ro2_500.jpg

Well with "the epitome of eye candy" Rook and Bishop around, it was bound to actually be a good episode. Enjoyed every moment, especially
Herbert Muller's jump on the couch and kick it across the room moment at being bested by Rook yet again

Preview:
Kaito dressed like a roman or whatever, wonder what it will be about and I wish Rook stayed around

sonicmj1

Ah, that's fair. lol
But it's also a nerd show! (They made an anime out of it after all).

Now that I think about it, I suppose there were also some Angel x Spike jokes at some point, but nothing too overt that jumps out at my anyway.

(Anyway TBBT is the biggest show in America right now - that deals specifically with nerds - and it's not something that has come up there. My point is that I don't think BL/slash is something someone laughing at Sheldon and Penny jokes would understand).

Why are you comparing a nationally broadcast show with an audience of millions to a show that airs between midnight and 3 am on a selection of regional channels?

Ultimadrago

4.) I AM NOT TSUNDERE

Your reactions only make them stronger.

Nafe

So many juniors appearing this season.

Well I actually got approved last week but I've been busy and spent most of last weekend watching EVO so that put me even further behind. Sundays matches were worth it though, so many amazing matches. I wish Arcana Heart 3 was more popular in the US though I'd like to see something like that at EVO even just once. I haven't bought a ps3 yet so I can't play the copy I bought just yet either.

Narag

I've seen this before... didn't think it was very good. I mean, it's not awful, it's just ... really, really generic and average. The plot doesn't make much sense either, and yes, a lot of stuff isn't explained well. So it's a condensed version of something that used to be longer? That makes sense... I assume that the original version is better? I guess being a bit longer might help this some. It'd probably still be pretty bland and average, though.

It's much better, I think, but the ninja action remains the draw. Cut material fleshes out the character, setting, and story better though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, you first have to acknowledge the fact that this is an anime, so you are already talking to a nerd-only audience.

Which is why the presence of referential material, while unnecessary, isn't an atrocity to begin with. I mean, we've been discussing a hypothetical "non-otaku" watching Jinrui this whole time and I don't want to lose sight of the fact that Jinrui is produced for an otaku audience like any other late-night anime. This doesn't automatically give it free rein to go all referential and meta and whatnot and it's undeniably out-of-place given virtually every aspect of the series thus far, but when I try to see it as a show attempting to communicate in the language of its audience, I can kind of understand. Not fully, but enough.

Now, had the episode referenced specific anime/manga and not merely a very general aspect of otaku culture in general, that would be a lot more unforgivable. Culture can be translated to virtually any setting given enough alteration/adaptation. There is no gray area between "in place" and "out of place" for an intellectual property that exists in our current reality.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
K this is like a witch hunt. I say that I'm not but apparently it makes it worse. At the same time I can't admit something that I'm not cuz then yall believe me. WTF DO I DO?!!!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually don't even know what irc is. I'm so behind on the internet I had to look up what this "twitter" thing was everyone was talking about like just last year and someone I know asked me if I was on facebook to which I replied "What the heck is facebook?"

Wow, talk about coming out of the woodwork, hahah. Welcome! You can always find us at AOL keyword AnimeGAF.

Articalys

Tari Tari 3

Remember folks, South American foreigners walking with pet pigs are more than happy to fix bicycles and
play music
at a moments whim.
Ayahi Takagaki's dialogue in english during that scene was amazing.

Well, the whole scene was amazing, but especially that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom