• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
it's gotta be the pig

taritari3c.jpg

omg. Sakai just won me over.

Nafe

IRC has been around since the '90s at least, maybe longer. Most people who haven't heard of it haven't because it's too old, not too new...

Heh, yeah, that is some really blatant copying...

I didn't realize that. Well some people wanted me to join MSN instant chat or whatever it was called again years ago but for all we talked I found email sufficed. They usually just rambled on about nothing anyway on those sorts of things.

Narag's post about Red Hawk borrowing from street fighter reminded me of when I saw the movie Equilibrium starring Christian Bale and then a little later was watching Trinity Blood and there's a scene in the second or third episode that is very similar to a scene at the beginning of Equilibrium. Someone did a YouTube comparison video which hopefully I can link correctly. There's no spoilers I believe.

Here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obySQIiPG4c

Unfortunately the movie cuts off early because just after that both characters have pretty much the exact same stance shown from the same low angle looking up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 34-35
I've never seen Yang being as ruthless as he was during this battle. The way they fooled Geiesberg had me jumbling my head around. It was difficult to follow due to the lack of visual interpretation most of the time, but that did not detract from the mood and feeling going on. The contrast within the victorious and losing sides was incredibly chilly too...

The battle is followed by a much lower-key episode involving the aftermath of the soldiers. I am surprised Yang was so easily accepting of Julian's will to become a soldier considering how much he has been hammering the audience with his dislike of the profession. On the other side of things we find a more amicable Reinhard despite the enormity of the loss. It makes me wonder if the guy isn't becoming senile, what with seeing Kircheis apparitions and everything.

One last thing:
Are those... 3D tactics? Mother of God...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why are you comparing a nationally broadcast show with an audience of millions to a show that airs between midnight and 3 am on a selection of regional channels?
Because it's part of a discussion of whether or not normal people would understand the concept of BL and its audience.

Which is why the presence of referential material, while unnecessary, isn't an atrocity to begin with. I mean, we've been discussing a hypothetical "non-otaku" watching Jinrui this whole time and I don't want to lose sight of the fact that Jinrui is produced for an otaku audience like any other late-night anime. This doesn't automatically give it free rein to go all referential and meta and whatnot and it's undeniably out-of-place given virtually every aspect of the series thus far, but when I try to see it as a show attempting to communicate in the language of its audience, I can kind of understand. Not fully, but enough.

Now, had the episode referenced specific anime/manga and not merely a very general aspect of otaku culture in general, that would be a lot more unforgivable. Culture can be translated to virtually any setting given enough alteration/adaptation. There is no gray area between "in place" and "out of place" for an intellectual property that exists in our current reality.
I just think referencing BL falls more into the super nerdy/specific reference than it does the general otaku thing. Otherwise, it would have been about sad nerds ogling over gears in maid outfits and collecting figures and whatnot. I mean, if Downtown (the Japanese comedy duo) is going to get laughs about girls being mean to them as they give them service, that's the equivalent of making a joke about how Howard likes to sleep on Star Trek sheets or whatever.

Either way, going to the nerd well at all - especially at this point - was mostly unnecessary. It just felt like going for the easy gag because they weren't sure if wacky FairyCo hijinks was enough to keep the audience.

WOPR is so MOE.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So should I take a 1-hour train ride just to see this http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...letter-to-momo

Y/N.
There are other things you can do in Melbourne too, presumably! So yes?

---

Hyouka 13
8DpyXl.jpg

3l8PSl.jpg

I just found this particularly amusing because it's basically a debate that literary critics have been having since the latter half of the 20th century. To see it being debated in anime form was fun, if a bit disconcerting/ironic since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who probably likes Hyouka and thinks its a masterpiece. lol

And I really hope that this pays off:
GhJenl.jpg

Not just in terms of this arc (I'm sure
the items being traded up will tie into the missing stuff found around the club and that they'll solve this case and be featured in the newspaper the following day)
, but also in terms of the grand plan with
Oreki's sister.
This latest arc pushed that idea hard -
along with the fact that she's the one who essentially starts off Oreki's recovery in 11.5
- so I have high expectations for this meta-story.

Articalys

To see it being debated in anime form was fun, if a bit disconcerting/ironic since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who probably likes Hyouka and thinks its a masterpiece. lol
*raises hand*
Not the only one. Though I guess I'm not quite sure if I'd go to masterpiece level just yet.

Instro

Tari Tari 3

I CANTO UNDERSTANDO. I AM NO MONEY.

Amazing. This is a very international cast. Wein, this Spanish dude, maybe we will get an American next week.

Soma

since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who probably likes Hyouka and thinks its a masterpiece. lol

I'm not sure if i'd put it into 'masterpiece' class just yet but I've really been enjoying it as well. There's been a few weak episodes but overall I like it a lot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There was one very glaringly noticeable thing that did mar some of the action sequences, however. Fucking Toei actually REUSED animation from the OP of the show in the fights, as I've illustrated in the following comparison shots. Save it for the All Stars DX movies if you must, you lazy bastards...
They did it in Futari wa PreCure. Multiple times!

Hello AnimeGaf. I've been looking at Neogaf for a little over two and a half years and AnimeGaf for a little over a year and a half now and I decided I'd like to join.

Despite having read the forum for so long I'm still not actually sure how introductions are done but I thought it would be polite if I gave at least a quick "Hello" or "Nice to meet you" instead of just barging in on the thread.

Don't worry if I don't post for awhile at times, you haven't scared me off or anything, I'm probably just trying to catch up on five or six pages of reading as usual. This thread moves so fast!

Also despite having been reading forums for about ten years now I've only been a member of a couple also about ten years ago, which are no longer around, so I apologize in advance if I maybe have some fairly rookie like questions from time to time.
Welcome!

This makes for a great first impression, by the way, compared to this...

Okay guys so what's good this season? And by that i mean what anime features loli or nudity this season?
...which does not.

I hate the character from South Park too.

Thank you so much! It's something I expect Hitokage to zone in on right away. I love Rei as well. Minako x Rei as OTP(I had to look up what that meant) none of this Rei x Ami stuff. lol this is actually really really wierd, I've been reading this thread for so long its like "Wow! I just got quoted by Instro!".
Certain pairings may not transfer across mediums!

Well I actually got approved last week but I've been busy and spent most of last weekend watching EVO so that put me even further behind. Sundays matches were worth it though, so many amazing matches. I wish Arcana Heart 3 was more popular in the US though I'd like to see something like that at EVO even just once. I haven't bought a ps3 yet so I can't play the copy I bought just yet either.
Melty Blood Actress Again was in two years ago.

Trickster

Uhm got a question about that Smile Precure show a lot of people in the thread seem to be talking about.

Is it just another magic girl anime, or is there something about it that breaks it away from the standard magic girl show?

fertygo

Binbougami ga! 2

I didn't care for this episode.

If the next one is the same, I'll probably drop it and wait upon any positive trusted impressions before I think of continuing.

Its was funnier than 24 episode of Nichijou combined :(

not really, I like the malaysian jokes, only Hakase part that should burned with fire

Uhm got a question about that Smile Precure show a lot of people in the thread seem to be talking about.

Is it just another magic girl anime, or is there something about it that breaks it away from the standard magic girl show?

Its precure bro, Of course its your usual magical girl show. Complete with the toys gimmick.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They did it in Futari wa PreCure. Multiple times!

Girls can't tell the difference!

Toei's words, not mine

Precure kind of is the present-day standard for magical girl shows, so if "standard" means "episodic, monster of the week format, elaborate transformations, plastic toy shilling, little girls, tropes played straight" then it's standard. People here generally like it for the endearing characters, all-ages comedy, combat scenes, unrelenting cheerfulness, and occasionally outstanding animation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
do things happen in Hyouka yet?
Yes, lots of things!

I'm not sure if i'd put it into 'masterpiece' class just yet but I've really been enjoying it as well. There's been a few weak episodes but overall I like it a lot.
*raises hand*
Not the only one. Though I guess I'm not quite sure if I'd go to masterpiece level just yet.
Well, at least that's two people who also like it. I think it's on masterpiece level unless it trainwrecks near the end. I hope it doesn't... but 11.5 made it clear that KyoAni cares at the very least.

fertygo

Well, at least that's two people who also like it. I think it's on masterpiece level unless it trainwrecks near the end. I hope it doesn't... but 11.5 made it clear that KyoAni cares at the very least.

I like it to the "I will put it into my personal top X of the year" extent.

7Th

It's a standard magical girl show with the selling-point that the magical girls actually use martial arts and hand-to-hand combat to fight against the antagonists. But it's still a mostly standard magical girl show.

Trickster

Define "standard".

Well hard for me to really say since I generally don't watch them as it doesn't really seem to be for me. But thing like the magical girls being these super "pure" girls that are super moe and goody two shoes. The enemies being comical looking rather than intimidating.

I know that very vague, but like I said, don't normally watch them since I normally can't stomach watching more than a few minutes of a magical girl show.

But I was just curious about smile precure since it seems to be getting A LOT of attention in this thread, and some of thise gifs I saw had VERY good animation in them.

7Th

Well hard for me to really say since I generally don't watch them as it doesn't really seem to be for me. But thing like the magical girls being these super "pure" girls that are super moe and goody two shoes. The enemies being comical looking rather than intimidating.

Precure is a completely standard magical girl show with martial arts added into the mix.

wonzo

Banned

Uchip

Banned
But thing like the magical girls being these super "pure" girls that are super moe and goody two shoes. The enemies being comical looking rather than intimidating.

Mai hime wasn't exactly like that (does that even count as magical girl)
and Madoka certainly isnt
They dont all follow that stereotype

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Girlfriend X 08
My God, she really is a total bitch. Tsubaki's "nice guy"ness would have left him NTR'd already in the real world.
Pretty sure glasses don't work that way though. I would know, I'm an expert.
LOGH 9

Whoa, I didn't expect the
first moves on the Kaiser and his son would be made by a former noble who was pretty much disposed of over 30 years ago for backing the wrong horse.
The scene with the
Cain and the clock ticking down was pretty intense.
Kircheis is such a bro.

Narag

The Sacred Blacksmith 4

Holy shit, underneath the maid headwear, dishtowel cape, and boob armor, there's a decent looking character. Shame about that unfortunate innuendo. Nice to see Cecily actually do something too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I know that very vague, but like I said, don't normally watch them since I normally can't stomach watching more than a few minutes of a magical girl show.

But I was just curious about smile precure since it seems to be getting A LOT of attention in this thread, and some of thise gifs I saw had VERY good animation in them.

Well, the target age group for the show is decidedly low, so "purity" and "moe" don't actively factor into the production. The protagonists are young and innocent, but this is entirely because they often serve as moral-dispensing role models for young girls and definitely not because they're any kind of sex object for otaku. Some adult fans have decidedly less-than-pure reasons for enjoying the show, but many adults enjoy Precure because it generally has better character writing and production values than what amounts to a 22-minute toy commercial deserves. It's not deep or intellectually stimulating by any means, but it can be a lot of fun.

However, it's not different enough from the standard magical girl mold that you're likely to enjoy it if you haven't been able to enjoy other magical girl shows. Furthermore, we certainly post a lot of gifs, but for every scene that we do post there are several more whose animation is far too pedestrian or even outright bad to be worth gif-ing. For every one of these:

There's one of these:

Still try it if you have any lingering doubts about your own dislike; no one's going to bite your head off if it's not your thing :p Precure fans are a vocal minority in AnimeGAF anyway, it's absolutely an acquired taste.

Andrew J.

Hyouka 13

I like that Mayaka's getting some characterization beyond "crabby."

Called it last week,
chain of deals.

I wondered if there was even going to be a mystery in this arc, but apparently some prankster Lupin is targeting the clubs.

Looking through your book collection for something you know you have but just can't find...I know that feel, Mayaka.

The new OP and ED both play sudden tone changes for comedy. Interesting.

Precure has lots of good animation. Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't be able to stomach anything else about it.

Some good non-standard magical girl shows are Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Symphogear.

Precure has lots of good animation. Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't be able to stomach anything else about it.

Some good non-standard magical girl shows are Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Symphogear.

Godoka Magica was awful for too slice of lifey and lots of other stuff.

Symphogear had great music, still listen to most of the songs even now, and great action.
4d4a5fad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom