• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well that just kinda defeats the point, doesn't it.

I have a friend in Japan who can't get over just how expensive KFC is. Either the food quality is better in Japan, which in turn inflates the price, or distribution is more expensive, resulting in the same. I guess fast food is more about the convenience than the price *shrug*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dysfunctional Relationship X 09
4ZeGe.jpg
lsVOP.jpg
NRp37.jpg
I haven't felt this embarrassed about puberty since I was going through it.
Not sue what was the point of all that beyond playing it for comedy/arousal? They touched on the subject of jealousy before when Urabe found Tsubaki talking to his past crush. The way it was depicted here seemed more in touch with the actual thought processes of teenagers, but Urabe's reaction to the photo book contradicts her attitude back then, when theoretically the danger of infidelity should have been more tangible than having her boyfriend fapping to idol books

Very smart use of lightning to convey mood though; the direction in general in this cartoon has always been strong.
That's kind of Yang's outlook on life though, he's going to give people the freedom to do as they wish. Also, we all know how laid back he can be about such matters.
I tend to forget Yang is not related by blood to Julian, but I suppose his attitude wouldn't change even in that regard.
Where are ep 5-33 impressions? Did you just marathon it?
Spring Anime Threads I & II, I guess?

Dysfunctional Relationship X 09

I haven't felt this embarrassed about puberty since I was going through it.
Not sue what was the point of all that beyond playing it for comedy/arousal? They touched on the subject of jealousy before when Urabe found Tsubaki talking to his past crush. The way it was depicted here seemed more in touch with the actual thought processes of teenagers, but Urabe's reaction to the photo book contradicts her attitude back then, when theoretically the danger of infidelity should have been more tangible than having her boyfriend fapping to idol books

Very smart use of lightning to convey mood though; the direction in general in this cartoon has always been strong.

It's not called Mysterious Girlfriend X for nothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey it's your prerogative, I just don't know if it was something I did and I should feel bad or what.
Well, not for nothing (and since you asked), but even pizzaroll types one or two word responses when he trolls me. It was frustrating to just have animated gif responses thrown at me so I just called it a day and walked away. I assume it was sometime when Penguindrum aired, because that's when I remember doing it.

But it's been a year or so and maybe we've all calmed down with age. I'm willing to say it's water under the bridge anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey, more Hyouka bros. It's weird, because I seem to see a lot of "
I scream
of boredom when I watch this shitty boring KyoAni is shit show (K-On! sucks and fuck KyoAni)" posts. lol
But what if I like K-ON! and Nichijou and Haruhi but find Hyouka boring?
Urabe is ideal Highschool Crush :(

At least for asian territory though. You guys in other side of planet seems have very different idea for first date as teenager lol.
I couldn't even hold hands in my first date. It was full of awkward sentences and long stretches of silence.

I actually like the depiction of teenage romance in MGX a lot. It's the most realistic display I've seen on the matter in animation beyond some of the fetishistic elements like drool-swapping. That doesn't delude me to the fact that Urabe is a possessive and manipulative girl and that Tsubaki is a pushover.

Branduil

Well, not for nothing (and since you asked), but even pizzaroll types one or two word responses when he trolls me. It was frustrating to just have animated gif responses thrown at me so I just called it a day and walked away. I assume it was sometime when Penguindrum aired, because that's when I remember doing it.

But it's been a year or so and maybe we've all calmed down with age. I'm willing to say it's water under the bridge anyway.

You should have said something or PM'd me. It's all for fun, so if someone isn't having fun, there's no point, and I apologize if I was insensitive. One of the drawbacks of forums is that you can only judge people's reactions by their words.
This is all because of the forum's anti-emoticon agenda.

So that said, is it true you haven't watched Darker than Black?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tari Tari 3

Wow, this show gets better by the week for me. Sakai was more bearable this week because of the dynamic tsuderism but other than that her lack of background and the mystery revolving around her mother keeps acting like a carrot. They're trying to make us want to care about it but they don't give enough information for me to actually care.

Konatsu is awesome as always. Her comedic, serious, optimistic attitude is what makes her still my favorite. Mahou shoujo still sucks but she's slowly growing on me I guess. Badminton boy is pretty cool I guess. He gets jerked around quite easily by the looks of it and as a result comes off as a nice guy. I don't quite get exactly what that intro had to do with the show. Wien is well... not really win. Hate the VP. Hope she gets run over soon so we don't get the shitty mother drama like we did in True Tears.

Music still remains to be the strongest aspect of the show for me. The ending changes and the songs that they sing are catchy and it's sort of cool that they focus so much on it, though it's unsurprising since it's a show about music.

NB: Old guy and foreign dudes are awesome.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
can you even argue that hyouka isn't boring? Even the animators are bored.

Comfortable working conditions and the presence of non-ramen foodstuffs in one's diet are a recipe for sloth and dullardry. KyoAni will never be a truly great studio until it learns how to crack the whip.

Branduil

Nothing boring about great direction, rich animation, beautiful music, and fun character interaction. Actually, I can understand why some might find it boring, but I don't think any episode of the show has been bad except episode 6. And the last two episodes aren't boring at all.

Dresden

Hyouka - 13

New op, new ed, and the show is actually interesting and fun to watch now. It's like a whole new start for a whole new show.

Not as lively or fun as the last episode, but it was still quite entertaining.

Also confirmed my prior views re: best girl (i.e. Mayaka superiority) via Manga Club debate that, quite literally, had her crossing across the demarcation into the land of the costumed, tasteless beings.

I hope the show can keep this up.

Also I thought they'd all stuffed Oreki's hair with cigarette butts here for a second.

XrEQPl.jpg

fertygo

I couldn't even hold hands in my first date. It was full of awkward sentences and long stretches of silence.

I actually like the depiction of teenage romance in MGX a lot. It's the most realistic display I've seen on the matter in animation beyond some of the fetishistic elements like drool-swapping. That doesn't delude me to the fact that Urabe is a possessive and manipulative girl and that Tsubaki is a pushover.

Hey, that sounds like your typical first GF! But I think
Urabe didn't demand a lot to his BF (Whatever his name) he just want his BF didn't do anything that gonna hurt his.. Ah on second thought I think its better to discuss this when you finish the series

Yeah I dig romance in MGX a lot, its surprisingly very realistic lol.. And the echii make your heart racing and not usual pantsu in your face crap.

Btw I do agree, Oka is the best girl!

Branduil

Hyouka - 13

New op, new ed, and the show is actually interesting and fun to watch now. It's like a whole new start for a whole new show.

Not as lively or fun as the last episode, but it was still quite entertaining.

Also confirmed my prior views re: best girl (i.e. Mayaka superiority) via Manga Club debate that, quite literally, had her crossing across the demarcation into the land of the costumed, tasteless beings.

I hope the show can keep this up.

Also I thought they'd all stuffed Oreki's hair with cigarette butts here for a second.

XrEQPl.jpg

Must have borrowed them from the newspaper club dude.

The new OP and ED are much better than the previous ones.

i watch oreki watch chitanda with his lewd eyes.

You can't really blame him if she's going to leave racy photographs of herself lying around for him to find.

Jex

All I got from gaffu was that it was about ghost yaoi. Maybe you guys did a poor job of selling it. I will add it to the list, but I have a pretty large present backlog that I would like to finish some of sometime this century, or at least get to the point where I'm not watching ten things at a time.

I don't think anyone has bothered selling it too hard because we assume that people will naturally check out the things that air noitaminA.

Of course, these days there's a pretty high chance that those works are just otaku-bait.

Nothing boring about great direction, rich animation, beautiful music, and fun character interaction. Actually, I can understand why some might find it boring, but I don't think any episode of the show has been bad except episode 6. And the last two episodes aren't boring at all.

All true, but it's all prospective. the rich animation.. (wait what music?) and good framing lighting etc etc stands out, because nothing really is happening for the most part. They do all the fancy abstract 'explanation sequences' to keep people's attentions on the most mundane mysteries imo.

The school festival stuff works well because Kyoani is great at 'populating' school festivals and shit is actually happening. I'm curious if shit will return back to sitting around the clubroom being bored next arc.

.hack://Harsh Realm Online 2:

Well, okay. If nothing else, this show does a good job of translating MMO mechanics to an anime. I think it would be cool if a real MMO had the "Switch" mechanic, where players could change between attacking and defending. Most games automate blocking and dodging too, with a few notable exceptions. Tera, the game which I was playing during my month and a half of absence, is one of these games. Others include the recently launched (in Korea) Blade & Soul, and some games which aren't fully MMOs such as Dragon's Nest and Phantasy Star Online. And there's always Diablo III. For me, watching this show is a lot like watching someone play Tera. I would have stayed in Tera too had the endgame not been such a complete disaster.

The social dynamics of MMOs have been studied a fair amount because of how players arrange themselves into virtual societies not unlike real ones. The sandbox-type MMOs such as EVE are the most interesting in this regard. People have analyzed the way people play and interact with each other in MMOs, and depending on how you play, your online personality can be categorized like any other offline personality profile. The best-known of these is the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology which has been around for years now. It's fun to take that test and see what kind of player it thinks you are. The "Beater" type that Kirito exemplifies would fall closely in line with Achiever/Explorer in the Bartle Test. Kirito likes knowing mechanics other people don't and going places other people don't go. However in a world where death is permanent and also results in your death in the real world, conflict between different personalities is probably more pronounced than it would be in a normal MMO. Normally the Explorer/Achiever type is looked up to for having accomplished things nobody else has, but in this game where not knowing what do results in your actual real death, this changes the perception quite dramatically.

Asuna still manages to look cute in her low-level gear. She was notably also the only female in SAO's first boss group. I think that sounds about right for an MMO when it comes to gender split.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Girlfriend X 10

YES. YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Tsubaki you are a complete moron.
That was incredible. I really need to check out Utena.
BLOODY HELL YES YOU DO
Hey, that sounds like your typical first GF! But I think
Urabe didn't demand a lot to his BF (Whatever his name) he just want his BF didn't do anything that gonna hurt his.. Ah on second thought I think its better to discuss this when you finish the series

Yeah I dig romance in MGX a lot, its surprisingly very realistic lol.. And the echii make your heart racing and not usual pantsu in your face crap.

Btw I do agree, Oka is the best girl!
All I'm saying is that the only difference between being close friends and dating is that one of them involves putting out at some level or another and Tsubaki certainly is getting none.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka is boring. I'm only watching cuz of Satoshi and Oreki.
See!

But what if I like K-ON! and Nichijou and Haruhi but find Hyoka boring?
You're one of those strange ones who is neutral.

You should have said something or PM'd me. It's all for fun, so if someone isn't having fun, there's no point, and I apologize if I was insensitive. One of the drawbacks of forums is that you can only judge people's reactions by their words.
This is all because of the forum's anti-emoticon agenda.

So that said, is it true you haven't watched Darker than Black?
Well, that's fair enough. I was mad/salty enough to just walk away, since at that time, the other alternative I considered was to just quit animegaf altogether (as many people have done, it seems). But yeah, let's move on. :)

As for DtB, yeah, I still haven't watched it yet. Undulation.gif is the most I've seen of it.

weekly reminder that Hyouge Mono will never be translated

http://i.imgur.com/Rftw4l.jpg
Uguuu~~~.
(You know you'd have sex with Nobunaga if you could)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom