• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Chitanda's eyes.

puxOy.jpg

It's like she's looking into your soul.

Dresden

It's pretty hard to actually say if that was the right thing to do. Sure, no demon queen route and makes everyone generally happy. But, I would say that pretty much shows weakness as a leader and can easily make the future much harder for Nobuna.
It's just that kind of a show. The morally right thing to do is always going to be the right thing to do.
Sagara isn't any better or worse than your typical harem protagonist, but at least he's not a total sadsack. Kirito is worse than a hundred sexless Ichikas from Infinite Stratos put together.
Total hyperbole. Why you so tsun? Accept Kirito-kun as your Husbando and Saviour.

I haven't watched SAO but I doubt he's really like Hei. Besides, Darker than Black is pretty self-aware about Hei's character.
Black coat, bitches all around, hyper capable, fate of the world in his hands. Also somewhat anti social except for those he happens to be mushy about. SAO pokes fun at the fact as well, but lampshading never actually excuses the act.

I kinda want to mention his descent into drunken hoboness but Season Two canonically doesn't exist so I shan't.

Dog Days' 2 - You know how I said that Dog Days might drop from first on my current season rankings soon?

Well, soon isn't yet, that's for sure. Episode two of Dog Days S2 was maybe even better than the first episode. I'm really loving this series so far; it's like everything great about Dog Days, a bit of what was bad about it, and a thick layer of happiness, cheer, and fun.

vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03thuak.jpg

How could she possibly resist?
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03d4uqj.jpg

I've heard people say that before, but it's usually just cover for people who just don't think they'd be good enough, I think...

On that note, the first season of Dog Days was a pretty cheerful and happy series, for the most part, but it had a few more serious plotlines from early on, including the MC's worries about if he'd ever be able to get home again, and Leo's issues and attack on Biscotti. So far into S2, there's nothing like that at all. I imagine that a serious plotline will develop at some point, unfortunately, but so far, it's 100% happiness and a ridiculous amount of cheer. And you know what? I love it this way. Don't change much, Dog Days S2!

http://www.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03aafrg.jpg
Yeah, the sequence is kind of creepy. Maybe NSFW.
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03mouo1.jpg

Once complete, she almost falls out of the sky. Apparently flying's not so easy. But yes, now Dog Days has a magical girl, in addition to the other two fighter-type heroes. Well, she wasn't going to be a fighter type for sure, so why not a mage too... not my favorite kind of mage for sure, though.

On the negative side, like episode one, episode two has only one blemish. In this case, it's the creepy transformation sequence the MC's friend goes through while transforming into her hero form. ... Yeah, anime, why must you do things like that? Disappointing... and it was long, too. The other heroes didn't have transformation sequences like that... but of course, they weren't
magical girls
, so I guess they wouldn't be expected to be one.
Of course plenty of magical girls do have anime nudity in their transformations, but what's up with those wires? Way too close to tentacle references, which is why I called it creepy.
I put this here in the review so as to not end the review on a negative note, but it does happen pretty much at the end.

vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03vfu76.jpg

Squirrel-people on giant birds? Sure, why not! This guy faces our two heroes.
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03xfuyt.jpg

They've also got an army of chocobo knights. This force is facing off against Leo and co. (not pictured in these shots).
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03bcun2.jpg

However, the cousin has her power-up mode now, and she's going to be the Surfer Hero! On another note though... the lion's country is the water kingdom, really? Cats like water? Well, tigers do, but still... huh. Anyway, her power is basically flying rollerskates. Reminds me of Subaru from Nanoha StrikerS, a bit, except she doesn't need to make trails to fly on.
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03h7ue5.jpg

Then the two heroes together attack the squirrel knight.

Apart from that, though, this episode was great fun. It's full of action and cheer, as the two enemies join forces to fight the new third faction, the squirrels and chipmunks. Who apparently fly around on giant birds. ... Okay, why not, I guess... they don't have as good combat strength, so they make up for it with things like mobility and magic.

vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03x4u0s.jpg

She's right, I'm sure you actually want to be with them, you just don't think you can.
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-03iluwu.jpg

The two of them are indeed similar.
vlcsnap-2012-07-15-035nu3b.jpg

She probably doesn't mean it romantically, but you never know... she wants to take to the skies with her for sure, though. Of course, this whole scene happens in a flying base of sorts, so they sort of already have... :p

So yeah, the transformation sequence above was kind of messed up, but the plot around it was good. That is, the chipmunk princess, and the friend, both don't have the natural ability to fight with the other two heroes, Leo, and the like, so they have to do something else for power... and it's that (techno-)magic above. I don't know about the transformation, but the inferences above... that's much better. The chipmunk princess... :)

Overall, it was a great episode. There was one part I didn't like so much, but apart from that Dog Days S2's happy, cheerful tone continues. The fight's all in good fun, the characters all like eachother, they're all having fun, we meet some new characters, rivals have to work together... except for that one bit, great stuff all around. Good episode, and show. So far this series is a great antidote for all of that too-serious anime out there.

Dog Dads' 2

Becky's transformation sequence was... really weird. It was like 80s CG music videos mixed with fanservice.

Anyway, good action and stuff just like last week.
Yeah, as I made clear I didn't like that transformation sequence at all, but otherwise the episode was fantastic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Girlfriend X 13

See, that wasn't so bad! There's more to going out than just kissing drool-swapping and awkwardly walking side by side! Why couldn't we have more of this before?

Mysterious Girlfriend X FIN

Another case of source material dragging down the superior anime adaptation? The stuff wasn't bad, it was just dragged around too much at the end, not to mention the formula had become obvious and unfun. Plus, the production values were high and direction competent enough.

I give it 4 saliva blobs out of 5. There's worse shit out there. There's also better shit out there. I wouldn't recomment it to anyone, however.
That's not accurate,
one of those eyes isn't real

mAcOdIn

So, foxes are the master race?

This is actually rather weird, you can use a saying derived from dogs to describe a woman's libido and there's a whole sexual position, well rather general actually but whatever, derived from dogs, there's slang for a woman's genitalia derived from cats yet the only animal it's actual "nice" to call a woman's a fox. That's pretty weird. There's no doing it foxystyle. You don't say "foxin'" when something's good, literally the only good thing about a fox is looking like a fox or being a fox. That's fucking weird.

Izayoi

Banned
YuruyuriS2 - Episode 2:

This show is fucking magical. So much spot-on humor, and the fucking budget, man. Also the OP and EDs. It's perfect, all of it.

Also I want to make love to Yui's voice, holy shit.

This is actually rather weird, you can use a saying derived from dogs to describe a woman's libido and there's a whole sexual position, well rather general actually but whatever, derived from dogs, there's slang for a woman's genitalia derived from cats yet the only animal it's actual "nice" to call a woman's a fox. That's pretty weird. There's no doing it foxystyle. You don't say "foxin'" when something's good, literally the only good thing about a fox is looking like a fox or being a fox. That's fucking weird.
ibpybmrWE66SMu.gif

Uchip

Banned

you have achieved enlightenment

duckroll

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Vol1 is screening right now in Japan (special early preview screening), so we should have impressions later in the day. Bandai Channel is also getting ready to put two TVCMs and a new trailer online today.

Someone from another forum posted some screens from a trailer, I'm not sure where it's from, but it seems to be from a Chinese forum:

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That is kind of ridiculously detailed, is this CG?

duckroll

All the mecha action is CG, we already knew this from the previous trailers. They're just doing some really crazy shading in this new scene we haven't seen before. I've said it from the moment the first trailer was shown - Akane knows wtf he's doing with the CG. :)

duckroll

The CG in Akito is by Orange. They're the guys who handled all the major CG set pieces in Macross Frontier, and they worked with Akane previously on his Birdy series. More recently they handled all the CG in Kids on the Slope and Accel World.

You can see the list of their works (and in some cases individual scenes are listed) here: http://orange-cg.com/wp/?cat=4

I've always liked their work, before Sanzigen came along and rocked the anime CG world with Panty & Stocking and Black Rock Shooter TV.

Grzi

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - 1

Really good, one of the better shows of the season. The only thing I fear is that there won't be enough interesting stuff to fill out 11 episodes (I don't think there's a lot of stuff you could do with this concept), so they'll resort to stupid love triangles and misunderstandings.
Hopefully that won't be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom