• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I still need to get back into the flow of things, but I figured it would be a good time to do a write up about something I've seen recently.

Jack and the Witch

Jack and the Witch (Shōnen Jakku to Mahōtsukai) is another one of Toei’s feature films made during their Disney period. It was directed by Taiji Yabushita, who also directed my personal favorite Toei film from around this time, The Tale of the White Serpent (Hakujaden). All of the films that Toei was releasing during this time are interesting from a historical perspective, but I have had mixed feelings about the actual amount of enjoyment that I gather from some. To be more specific: Magical Boy, The World of Hans Christian Andersen, and Tatsu no ko Taro, I found to be a bit dull. They were releasing feature films on a yearly basis (This one being their 10th), so there are many more to watch and I don't want make blanket statements about them, but unfortunately I would place Jack and the Witch on the dull side of the bunch.
9y37A.jpg
CwBqW.jpg

One of the reasons that I was looking forward to the movie was its “essentially” original story. Many of the Toei films were based on pervious works and while this is not a bad thing, the idea of something original tickled my interest. But lo and behold, this original story ended up being incredibly derivative the many tropes present in fairy tales, and fairy tale movies. The plot revolves around Jack, a little boy who drives his car (Yes, he has a car) all over the place; in the house, around the forest, into castles. He also is friend to many talking forest animals, who he just so happens to treat like crap. I remember one scene near the beginning where he harasses a little frightened bear to get into his car. When the bear refuses he drives the car up the stairs and the bear ends up hanging from the hood of the car. Basically, this kid is a dick.

The movie actually begins with a stain glass narration of Beowulf, but don’t let this make you think the story has that level of depth. It simply narrates some Beowulf and then the talking animal antics begin. The actual central plot deals with a witch that turns children into her singing/dancing slaves. But when jack loses his mouse friend Squeeker (Ugh….), it’s up to him to stop the evil witch. There is also a little witch who befriends Jack; though, only after she tries to turn him and his animal friends into evil slaves as well.

The entire film has a more American look to it than many of the other Toei movies. It has the appearance of ae a strange mix between Hanna-Barbera and Toei. While strange, it does make for a visually interesting venture. I think that the highlights of the film, besides its history, are the art and animation aspects. The animation is incredibly fluid at all times, with characters bending, moving, dancing around the screen at all times. One of the final scenes where something is destroyed is particularly fun to watch. The music is also worth noting for how American sounding it is. It really sounds like some sort of weird compilation classical animation arrangements.

All together, the film makes for a rather boring but interesting watch (Not the worst way to spend 90 minutes). It’s probably the most American influenced Toei film that I have seen so far and that alone makes it worth taking a look at. At the very least, it hasn't eliminated any of my interest in getting around to more of their early catalogue.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 2

Now that Rakka has recovered from sprouting her wings, it is time for her to explore this unfamiliar location and learn more of life as a Haibane. Her environment is being built a little at a time. It even introduces a
forbidden gate
. Oooooo. Also a crow shows up,
referencing back to her birth dream
. Aaaaah.

All in all, it was a world building episode. This wasn't going to be escaped, especially in an odd society like that of the Haibane. The one thrift store they went to in town expanded on the general Haibane/human relationship, I'm assuming. They fairly acknowledge the existence of one another, while working in conjunction for personal and societal gain.

I expect that a major character interaction will lead up for next episode. The mystery behind the
Toga and what lies beyond the walls
is something that I believe will be brought up a bit later. However, if the next episode wants to link both objectives in a single episode as an effective way to engage, it is more than welcome.

Hyouka 13

Gah i don't want this arc to end! So much love and energy. It's odd that i just watched the manga centric Jinrui before this. Fuck reviews! And that's why you go digital, won't misplace stuff for drama.

waiffu.png

Saber logic: If you can't do anything else right, go the kitchen waifus.

And oreki is still king of perverts.

ibryndfFy3vMVF.gif

ibvgZzzqhrczkS.gif

Get a room!

And something to save:
ikeFmkQMxRLFy.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hyouka 13

Gah i don't want this arc to end! So much love and energy. It's odd that i just watched the manga centric Jinrui before this. Fuck reviews! And that's why you go digital, won't misplace stuff for drama.

And oreki is still king of perverts.

Get a room!

And something to save:
ikeFmkQMxRLFy.gif

SO MANY GIFS! Chitanda was thankfully bearable this week.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I meant to say I dont hate her wolf heritage
mostly because she looks more human than anything
Actually, anime characters usually just have ears/tail for show, but with Holo they're very much a part of her. Combine that will full wolf form and she's gateway drug status.

Uchip

Banned
Actually, anime characters usually just have ears/tail for show, but with Holo they're very much a part of her. Combine that will full wolf form and she's gateway drug status.

I dont think it would have worked if she looked like any less human
hence the cloak being an acceptable disguise from the church

isjw29PNn3boF.gif

TariTari 3

Slowly ending up my fav show of the season so far. Love when they all start talking at once. The stones fell into place a bit too easily imo, and naturally there is some dark secret of the past. But w/e even though the eps was a bit rough and a bit derp, it poked me buttons.

iDF78fYC46kdU.gif

bailout thread gif material
nomoney.jpg

stereotypes!
megane.jpg

Megane!
sawa.jpg

Swimsuit Sawa!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
isjw29PNn3boF.gif

TariTari 3

Slowly ending up my fav show of the season so far. Love when they all start talking at once. The stones fell into place a bit too easily imo, and naturally there is some dark secret of the past. But w/e even though the eps was a bit rough and a bit derp, it poked me buttons.

Dat Sawa, man. Dat Sawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom