• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It stated that the boss goes berserk and uses a different weapon after a certain amount of health was left over. It was definitely intentional.

I'll concede that, but I still wish that I would have seen something resembling actual attack patterns rather than Diabel barking out tactical orders in response to things that we don't even get to see.

Symphogear 1

s9CA9s.png

Will continue.

You had fair warning!

Mais oui, cher. Je parle un petit peu francais.

Everybody here is taught some French in school.
You kind of have to know it.

Jambalaya, crawfish pie-a, fillet gumbo. Merci beaucoup.

Humans don't behave realistically on the Internet due to anonymity, and MMOs reflect that.

Still, to see a very survival-oriented group eject its best chance for survival out of what amounted to petty jealousy tests even my very high tolerance for human stupidity in the things that I watch. Maybe it's realistically irrational, but it doesn't particularly motivate me to watch more if virtually every thing that the characters say or do is going to make me think "YOU FUCKING MORONS." SAO episode two was anti-entertainment at its finest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Still, to see a very survival-oriented group eject its best chance for survival out of what amounted to petty jealousy tests even my very high tolerance for human stupidity in the things that I watch. Maybe it's realistically irrational, but it doesn't particularly motivate me to watch more if virtually every thing that the characters say or do is going to make me think "YOU FUCKING MORONS." SAO episode two was anti-entertainment at its finest.

I think you would've enjoyed the LN version a lot more then. They cut a ton of the crap out that made more sense then is presented in the episode. And while everyone is trying to get out there are various perspectives that people have. Whether it be nihilism or some other view, there are some that go out to cooperate and end the game, others who want to just level and do stuff on their own, others who PK, others who find it hopeless so they just mess around.

BGBW is witty enough to remember this quote for safe keeping.

You're walking on thin ice, kayos!

It was never a ban bet. I just made a proclamation that I'll never get a ban. I'm not stupid enough to post something rulebreaking and I observe a lot so I learn from the mistakes of others. I'm pretty sure I've almost crossed the line before but I've never actually crossed it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also to firehawk I couldn't find your original post asking who was enjoying Hyouka so for what it's worth you can add me to the list of people who do. Your the big fan of Yu Kobayashi too right? Well I can join you on team Kobayashi as I'm a big fan too.
Yay! She is the best there is, after all. I'll watch (almost) anything with her in it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

kayos would never enter an avatar bet.

It was never a ban bet. I just made a proclamation that I'll never get a ban. I'm not stupid enough to post something rulebreaking and I observe a lot so I learn from the mistakes of others. I'm pretty sure I've almost crossed the line before but I've never actually crossed it.

I was banned once for a post in the World Cup thread. It was the most innocent comment ever. I meant absolutely no harm to anyone. Then people called me out, I was banned, and only then I realized it sounded wrong as fuck.

You never know.

Dresden

so there's a translation of another rant about working conditions floating around, but . . .

I thought the poster's comments on it after that were a bit more, um, interesting. lol.

My comments. I don't exactly sympathize or empathize with everything here, but there are a few key things I would like to pick up. Note that I work my butt off to pay at least 200,000 yen to the anime industry every year, and that I am against your kind of piracy as a whole. I'm not exactly rich, so I only use 1,500 yen on food per week, which is a fourth of the average expenditures.

I've stated this in a couple of other threads too, but there is concrete proof that not buying DVDs damages the industry. Bandai Entertainment of America used to have an anime faction that held licenses to super-popular anime like Suzumiya Haruhi and K-ON. However, no one bought, even at the ridiculously cheap prices they had to offer. As a result, the faction went bankrupt and now Bandai Entertainment of America does not have an anime faction. This set a record for not making any company or country want to really promote a localization effort, because it simply wouldn't pay off. Former employees were crying when they saw the "Where can I download this movie?" on the K-ON movie trailers of youtube.

Sword Art Online 02

It wasn't bad. It looked and sounded nice I guess, rolled my eyes at the inherent hatred vs beaters, blah, blah, blah.

Not really liking the fights as they are pretty much sword glows and slashing it goes. I guess I rather prefer if they got stuck in a MMO with an actual job system or magic. Can't imagine this game to even be fun. Hell, why are there no archers!

I was banned once for a post in the World Cup thread. It was the most innocent comment ever. I meant absolutely no harm to anyone. Then people called me out, I was banned, and only then I realized it sounded wrong as fuck.

You never know.

That brings back memories. My first ban was from the World Cup too. I said something I thought was funny, other people decided it wasn't, and that was my first ban.

Go_Ly_Dow

tari tari 3

dat wein

another great episode. i'm really enjoying it so far and have great hopes for it.

loving the uniqueness found in each character, along with the nice music and vibrant art direction.

"i donto understando"

NewFresh

Sword Art Online Ep.01

Maybe I just don't get it. I finished the episode, albeit forcing my way through. The plot alone didn't interest me, but the amount of people singing its praises caught my attention.

In the end I found it pretty boring and have zero interest in the characters.

Articalys

Should I go to this thing?
The New People center in San Francisco announced on Monday it will host "Real Escape Game x Evangelion: Escape from an Angel," an immersive multiplayer game that will start inside the center's cinema and move outdoors into the center's Japantown neighborhood.

The poster image for the game describes the premise:

A secret Nerv outpost is suddenly surrounded by hostiles. The operatives are trapped by a group of invisible "Angels." Suddenly, a strange melody can be heard and a cryptic code comes through on Magi. As a Nerv agent, you must now figure out how to escape from the mysterious place, if you can!

As in other "Real Escape Games" held in Japan, player have to cooperate to solve puzzles in real-life settings to win the game. "Real Escape Game x Evangelion: Escape from an Angel" first debuted last year in Japan, where over 10,000 people played the game.

The game will run eight times a day during the August 25-26 weekend. Advance tickets to play the game cost $20 up to 30 days before the event, and $25 up to six hours before the event. Any remaining tickets will cost $30 at the door.
It seems that, just like how last year the J-Pop Festival focus was heavily on Vocaloid, this year it's on Evangelion.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon S 93

I think I just have to accept that I'm not really going to like
Uranus and Neptune until they stop acting like asses and team up with Sailor Moon.

Just when I think I'm starting to understand you, you do something like this.

I think you would've enjoyed the LN version a lot more then. They cut a ton of the crap out that made more sense then is presented in the episode. And while everyone is trying to get out there are various perspectives that people have. Whether it be nihilism or some other view, there are some that go out to cooperate and end the game, others who want to just level and do stuff on their own, others who PK, others who find it hopeless so they just mess around.

I would gladly take ten episodes of aimlessly depicting life in Aincrad over more of what I just witnessed.

Not really liking the fights as they are pretty much sword glows and slashing it goes. I guess I rather prefer if they got stuck in a MMO with an actual job system or magic. Can't imagine this game to even be fun. Hell, why are there no archers!

This game has actual movement during fights, you have to block and dodge or the mob will cave your skull in. That alone makes it better than 99% of MMOs out there, including ones with job systems and magic.

To some extent, SAO makes me think of FFXIV, the weapon you wield becomes your "job" and you can specialize in one-handed swords, two-handed swords, axes, maces, etc. Much as in SMT titles, weapon damage is separated into Slash, Pierce, Blunt, etc. Later on people unlock special weapon skills, such as the katana Klein wields later on. Gary Stu himself becomes the only player in SAO who has the
dual-wield skill which lets him use two one-handed swords at once
so there are unique skills too.

Dresden

The way they're adapting SAO is going to lead to huge problems unless they're planning on spending 20+ eps for the first arc. We'll see.

anyways, onward to better shows:

0F94wl.jpg

Geneijin

Tempting the tiger in the zoo, are we?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Just when I think I'm starting to understand you, you do something like this.

It would help if you actually explain what you mean by that! To be fair, I'll go more in depth as to what bothers me.
For two people who only have the vaguest idea of what they need to to do, they're far too smug and sure of themselves. Sailor Moon and Co. have saved the world twice and have a bit of experience in these matters, while Neptune and Uranus (what happened to Jupiter?..) don't really know who they are, don't really know what they're trying to do other than sacrifice three people (which they are far too nonchalant about) and get the grail and give it to someone who they don't really know. Combine that with their attitude of "Oh, this isn't a talisman, so our effort was completely wasted, ignoring the fact we just potentially saved dozens of lives" means they just aren't very likeable at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so there's a translation of another rant about working conditions floating around, but . . .

I thought the poster's comments on it after that were a bit more, um, interesting. lol.
Holy fuck. I wish THIS guy was working on SAO:

To be blunt, there are many anime otakus here who have simply watched anime all their lives and don't know how to properly communicate with others. Regardless of gender, there are workers who can easily be mistaken for homeless people, and emit terrible odors. They don't (can't?) do even simple greetings. If the garbage pale is full, they stack garbage on top of it. They don't work even though they're at the studio. They don't clarify things they don't understand. It makes me sad to see female workers conversing about male anime characters when they themselves seem to not even have a clue about what makeup and attire is. It make me want to cry when I see workers complaining about compensation thinking they're working as briskly and efficiently as when they were younger, when in fact their quality and speed of work has obviously been declining as they would for anyone in their 40s.

Although reputation would obviously plummet, it would be better to have such workers than face a chronic shortage of workers. The job is perfect for a person who wants to sleep whenever he/she wants to, come to the studio whenever he/she wants to, answer the phone whenever he/she wants to, and can survive as long as there is anime and a neighboring convenience store (sarcasm intended, with the emphasis that it places a huge stress on the production team). It is ironic how it's these kinds of people, that allow the anime industry to continue to be operational.

However, I could not stand these attitudes. Their ties with others were loose. They couldn't care less about how others saw them. As long as they had one aspect they were highly talented in, everything other aspect could be missing. I can't become someone like that, nor would I want to, and therefore I couldn't come to respect them neither. I felt that you can perhaps survive by dreaming on, but you could never achieve happiness. (For the record, there are "normal" social people and those who have the attitude of a professional, as well as amazing workers who churn out finished products like a one-man assembly line. However, most are as I explained above.)

I had thought I was an otaku before, but I realized that I don't like anime to the extent I would forget eating and sleeping, and that I'm a normal person who knows how to enjoy having a girlfriend or boyfriend in the real world. There were many times I thought I was the weird one. When I would meet long-time-no-see colleagues at a marriage ceremony, no one would be watching anime. I have never met anyone who has ever watched an anime I had been involved in the production of, let alone on-time every week.

Fucking anime fans on BLAST.

I dont understand, the game surely isnt called SWORD art online for nothing.

The name of the series never crossed to me before. Hell they name stuff just for the sake of sounding cool most of the time!

This game has actual movement during fights, you have to block and dodge or the mob will cave your skull in. That alone makes it better than 99% of MMOs out there, including ones with job systems and magic.

To some extent, SAO makes me think of FFXIV, the weapon you wield becomes your "job" and you can specialize in one-handed swords, two-handed swords, axes, maces, etc. Much as in SMT titles, weapon damage is separated into Slash, Pierce, Blunt, etc. Later on people unlock special weapon skills, such as the katana Klein wields later on. Gary Stu himself becomes the only player in SAO who has the
dual-wield skill which lets him use two one-handed swords at once
so there are unique skills too.

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess I rather have flash or arrows or more flash than weapon swinging.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It would help if you actually explain what you mean by that! To be fair, I'll go more in depth as to what bothers me.
For two people who only have the vaguest idea of what they need to to do, they're far too smug and sure of themselves. Sailor Moon and Co. have saved the world twice and have a bit of experience in these matters, while Neptune and Uranus (what happened to Jupiter?..) don't really know who they are, don't really know what they're trying to do other than sacrifice three people (which they are far too nonchalant about) and get the grail and give it to someone who they don't really know. Combine that with their attitude of "Oh, this isn't a talisman, so our effort was completely wasted, ignoring the fact we just potentially saved dozens of lives" means they just aren't very likeable at this point.

I was actually joking and wasn't asking for any sort of justification for your opinion, hahahah. But since you've done so anyway:

The response to most of this stuff is "just keep watching". Their motivation and attitude become more understandable with time, although I personally liked them from the beginning because of how mature and worldly they were compared the five sailor senshi. I only said what I said because I was convinced that you would love them from the start, especially Haruka :p

cajunator

Banned
Holy fuck. I wish THIS guy was working on SAO:

Fucking anime fans on BLAST.

I said gawdamn.

But the industry does seem to be made up of many people who were once otaku themselves, and have no understanding of the outside world. Maybe this is why a lot of anime makes no fucking sense. But then again it brings us stuff like Yami and AKB0048 so is it really bad?
Im a foreveralone otaku myself, but I can hold a full time job and convrse with people outside of anime fandom. I guess I'm not THAT strange. Well in some ways...

Articalys

1st 333 Toki Onjouji @ Saki
2nd 248 Saki Miyanaga @ Saki
3rd 192 Karen Araragi @ Nisemonogatari
4th 181 Kana Ikeda @ Saki
4th 181 Yoshika Miyafuji @ Strike Witches
6th 169 Sana Inui @ Mashiroiro Symphony
7th 164 Chihaya Kisaragi @ The Idolmaster
8th 157 Rea Sanka @ Sankarea
9th 148 Ritsu Tainaka @ K-On!
10th 147 Miya Tachibana @ Amagami SS
10th 147 Azusa Miura @ The Idolmaster
12th 146 Nazuna Takanashi @ Working!
Twelve more for Saimoe. Saki power in full effect.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I was actually joking and wasn't asking for any sort of justification for your opinion, hahahah. But since you've done so anyway:

The response to most of this stuff is "just keep watching". Their motivation and attitude become more understandable with time, although I personally liked them from the beginning because of how mature and worldly they were compared the five sailor senshi. I only said what I said because I was convinced that you would love them from the start, especially Haruka :p

To further clarify, my stance is of course subject to change at any moment depending on events :p, and
it's not so much that I dislike them personally as the events surrounding them and their relationship with the other sailors. Haruka is a bit too smug with not enough to back it up right now, though. Being mature and worldly is one thing, but when all she does is lay around saying "hoho look at me I'm so mature and worldly you little kids" it doesn't quite work, she needs to show it for me to believe it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But the industry does seem to be made up of many people who were once otaku themselves, and have no understanding of the outside world. Maybe this is why a lot of anime makes no fucking sense. But then again it brings us stuff like Yami and AKB0048 so is it really bad?

Sounds like the problem people say may be facing the gaming industry. Those working in it are only being influenced by ideas within the industry itself meaning there is no expansions of ideas.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The way they're adapting SAO is going to lead to huge problems unless they're planning on spending 20+ eps for the first arc. We'll see.

anyways, onward to better shows:

0F94wl.jpg

Yuru Yuri has better combat skills than SAO confirmed.

Yuru Yuri S2 - 03

CyKfl.png

ScarfxChoco. Solid yuri gift combo.

The Bun Bazooka got me good. I wished near the end
they would've extended the scene and had Himawari wipe the chocolate off of Sakurako's mouth.

Solid episode overall.

cajunator

Banned
Tari Tari 01

This is pretty rad. The art style is pretty nice, but I definitely enjoy the BGM. the setting right away is beautiful and I love this kind of slice of life intro. the characters are fine. Sakai is :cajun. Also , is it just me or is the chipmunk teeth thing more common since K-ON? I will definitely continue. This gives me slight K-on vibes towards the end too. I also keep thinking Rea Sanka is gonna show up.
Oh and what is that song the group is singing towards the beginning? I recognise it but I'm not sure from where.
AND I WANT THAT PLUSHIE WHALE.
Actually, can somebody gif that please? Miyamoto by her bed with her feet up kicking the whale. It was a very :CAJUN moment.

Kingdom 7
tumblr_m79y0jYtYz1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Shin is pretty hilarious, the background story on the Horse & The Liquor and his interruptions were great. Also
when he and the old man threw down was great based on Shin's responses, I love his personality so much
. Im so glad were back to the core cast, they get along great so I cant wait to see them back together.

Im so glad that at times he sounds like Ichigo.

Oh some reason when funimation used jerkwad in the subs it made me laugh...

Articalys

Tari Tari 01

This is pretty rad. The art style is pretty nice, but I definitely enjoy the BGM. the setting right away is beautiful and I love this kind of slice of life intro. the characters are fine. Sakai is :cajun. Also , is it just me or is the chipmunk teeth thing more common since K-ON? I will definitely continue. This gives me slight K-on vibes towards the end too. I also keep thinking Rea Sanka is gonna show up.
Oh and what is that song the group is singing towards the beginning? I recognise it but I'm not sure from where.
AND I WANT THAT PLUSHIE WHALE.
Actually, can somebody gif that please? Miyamoto by her bed with her feet up kicking the whale. It was a very :CAJUN moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom