• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fuck. I wish THIS guy was working on SAO:

Fucking anime fans on BLAST.

That's not even the good part of the post. Or even the thread, later on that guy puts Japan on blast and it's ugly.

The reality is the anime industry is suffering because it's clear Japan has no clue how exporting media works. It's why widespread piracy of American media (movies and TV and music) hardly means shit to Hollywood outside of exaggerated MPAA/RIAA crying, because the Americans figured out how to monetize media in every country on Earth decades ago. These days American media profits are something like 40% domestic market and 60% foreign markets for most movie studios. The American media domestic market is the largest single market in the world too. That's huge for the American media industry, not only in terms of making money but also exporting American culture overseas which benefits the country as a whole.

I don't understand why it's so hard for Japan to figure out how to monetize media outside of the domestic market. Why hasn't Animax launched in North America after nearly a decade? Why couldn't Japan figure out Internet streaming until after Crunchyroll appeared originally distributing illegal fansubs? Why is Japan so afraid of cannibalizing domestic sales that they can't release DVD/BD in worldwide markets day-and-date with Japan? Even at ridiculous JP prices, there's a market for day-and-date DVD/BD, just look at KnK and F/Z. Even the most trivial American movie or album can be purchased in almost any country on Earth that can access the Internet. Why can't you buy just about any anime you want via Internet download? It's not as if it's not translated, fansubbers have been diligently subbing almost everything for decades now. The fansubbing culture wouldn't even exist if Japan had started exporting the media from the very beginning. Nobody needs to fansub an American movie, it's available legally in your country with subtitles and often dubbed right now and it was released roughly the same day (give or take a few weeks) as everywhere else in the world at once. It just doesn't make sense how self-defeating the anime industry is in terms of figuring out how to make money.

cajunator

Banned
That's not even the good part of the post. Or even the thread, later on that guy puts Japan on blast and it's ugly.

The reality is the anime industry is suffering because it's clear Japan has no clue how exporting media works. It's why widespread piracy of American media (movies and TV and music) hardly means shit to Hollywood outside of exaggerated MPAA/RIAA crying, because the Americans figured out how to monetize media in every country on Earth decades ago. These days American media profits are something like 40% domestic market and 60% foreign markets for most movie studios. The American media domestic market is the largest single market in the world too. That's huge for the American media industry, not only in terms of making money but also exporting American culture overseas which benefits the country as a whole.

I don't understand why it's so hard for Japan to figure out how to monetize media outside of the domestic market. Why hasn't Animax launched in North America after nearly a decade? Why couldn't Japan figure out Internet streaming until after Crunchyroll appeared originally distributing illegal fansubs? Why is Japan so afraid of cannibalizing domestic sales that they can't release DVD/BD day-and-date with Japan? Even at ridiculous JP prices, there's a market for day-and-date DVD/BD, just look at KnK and F/Z. It just doesn't make sense how self-defeating the anime industry is in terms of figuring out how to make money.

This.
SO FUCKING THIS.
Japan, I want you to take my money. Make it all available here. figure it out. Granted there is the whole subtitling thing to work out but that shouldnt be too hard. I would have so many MORE series on my shelf by now if they sold it in the Us day and date or shortly afterward.

Branduil

I don't understand why it's so hard for Japan to figure out how to monetize media outside of the domestic market. Why hasn't Animax launched in North America after nearly a decade? Why couldn't Japan figure out Internet streaming until after Crunchyroll appeared originally distributing illegal fansubs? Why is Japan so afraid of cannibalizing domestic sales that they can't release DVD/BD in worldwide markets day-and-date with Japan? Even at ridiculous JP prices, there's a market for day-and-date DVD/BD, just look at KnK and F/Z. Even the most trivial American movie or album can be purchased in almost any country on Earth that can access the Internet. Why can't you buy just about any anime you want via Internet download? It's not as if it's not translated, fansubbers have been diligently subbing almost everything for decades now. It just doesn't make sense how self-defeating the anime industry is in terms of figuring out how to make money.

I think it has a lot to do with Japan's excessively conservative and risk-averse business culture. It's the same reason for the horrible working conditions.

Joule

Dudu the floatie: That was really fun to watch. Very colourful and full of quality animation too. The story of a father who has a fear of water, trying to take his energetic daughter to the beach but winds up unable due to 'work' (having to be the caddy for your bosses feels so cliche but it's fun). The dream that Mika has of a magical water land where the floatie she got for her dad comes to life leads to some very fantastic visuals. Everybody should give this one a look.

lyL5v.jpg
bUuKl.jpg

So many colours!

Impressive animation.
ibgPa6t9It6Frg.gif

There's even Undulation!
xIOcU.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just booked tickets for me and my sister for A Letter to Momo on the 8th of August. Time to get hyped!

survivor

Banned
Utakoi 3

Oh man, this was soo good.
I really thought he died going by some of the comments I read about this episode but I guess life isn't that cliched.
Also looks like next episode is
about Narihira again

Moyashimon Returns 02

Oikawa is the best, she seems to be channeling more and more of Hasegawa as time goes by. Also, Itsuki can be creepy as fuck when he wants to be.
What is with the basement anyways? I thought it was a passage or room for Yuki at first, but now I'm not so sure.

sonicmj1

Sword Art Online 2

I would hope that people 10 years from now would have enough self awareness to
not accuse someone of cheating in a game where it's impossible to even be conscious of the outside world while you're playing.

Eh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Art Online 2

I would hope that people 10 years from now would have enough self awareness to
not accuse someone of cheating in a game where it's impossible to even be conscious of the outside world while you're playing.

Eh.

Better than me = cheater
Worse then me = n00b.

The world of MMOs will never change.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shame there is no potential for a person using hacks. Would be funny to have someone just flying around the world and playing pranks on everyone.

Better than me = cheater
Worse then me = n00b.

The world of MMOs will never change.

Come on, Kirito was obviously using speedhack and wallhack!

Hacks, maybe not. But surely there are exploits to be abused for lewt and power.

Since Kirito has explored higher and farther than anyone else, there are things he knows and places he can go to farm for XP and loot that nobody else knows about. He seems to be the only one who knows about that low level quest for the butter reward item, and that's all it took to win Asuna's heart!

Completed the first two episodes of Kino's Journey. If the following episodes are anything like the second episode I will consider purchasing this title in the coming months.

NewFresh

I think that it must be kind of a strange sensation for Ben to know a person and watching it grow as an animator to later make an interview with him, when things start to fructify on his career:

Interview with Bahi JD
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/interview-with-bahi-jd

Just read through this earlier today. Super interesting look into his history and his work in Kids on the slope. I especially enjoyed the bits about how he got into the industry and the problems with it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tari Tari - 03

m3gb6.png

:O
S0BZ9.png

kirinoliplick.gif

tumblr_m5es1rKFet1ru3v4eo1_500.gif

This show is great. The vice principal is still a bitch and a hater but that's okay since she's beautiful.

Best girl tier: Sawa>Sawa's Mom>Vice Principal>Wakana>>>>>>>>>>Konatsu.

Branduil

I think that it must be kind of a strange sensation for Ben to know a person and watch it grow as an animator to later make an interview with him, when things start to fructify on his career:

Interview with Bahi JD
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/interview-with-bahi-jd

Reading this directly after that article by the former anime production assistant creates the same feeling as the first act of an Urobuchi Gen anime...

Defuser

I just wonder something about SAO. If the game requires constant internet connection then many of these people are fucked. What if the connection drops halfway due to shitty ISP or those living not being able to pay their bills and the internet gets cut off?

Rinne no LaGrange 14

Madoka being alpha as fuck again. Still getting bad vibes from Le Garite forces, but atleast we know why the war started now!

the kissing scene had me cracking up when it came to Lan's turn!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I just wonder something about SAO. If the game requires constant internet connection then many of these people are fucked. What if the connection drops halfway due to shitty ISP or those living not being able to pay their bills and the internet gets cut off?

It's 10 years in the future, I'm sure they have flawless internet then.

Lurky

Come on, Kirito was obviously using speedhack and wallhack!

Since Kirito has explored higher and farther than anyone else, there are things he knows and places he can go to farm for XP and loot that nobody else knows about. He seems to be the only one who knows about that low level quest for the butter reward item, and that's all it took to win Asuna's heart!

If only it was so easy to woo a girl in real life. I hate effort....

Horizon's ahead of them on that!

aV9Od.png

Horizon is truly ahead of its time.

Considering it is Japan, I expect their internet is probably beyond our imagination of amazing.

Lurky

Maybe in the future there is no such thing as a shitty ISP. As for those bills, if their loved ones really love them then they better fucking pay on time.

edit: i suck ass at cooking and will probably never be any good. @Uchip if you were in the IRC last night you would know i'm not a lolicon in real life :p Boobs are just way too awesome.

The LN explains some stuff left out of the anime.

All the people stuck in SAO are moved to a special hospital built to house them. This is all paid for by the profits made by Argus. See the end of the first episode of Harsh Realm for pretty much exactly what it would look like. I'm sure the hospital has special network access to ensure people aren't disconnected from SAO.

Defuser

Tari Tari ep3
Do the Japanese have some sort of genetic code built-in of defaulting to engrish whenever a foriegner regardless of race approach them?lol

This show needs more Wien antics.

cajunator

Banned
Completed the first two episodes of Kino's Journey. If the following episodes are anything like the second episode I will consider purchasing this title in the coming months.

Excellent.
That is one of my favorite shows.
Its a really unique experience and I believe you will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom