• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From all the anime that I seen with her and realized it is her, my problem is that showing emotion doesn't mean make your voice as loud as you can.
Well, she knows that she can do her trademarked screech when she goes loud. It's basically the one thing that makes her stand out from the sea of other seiyuu who aren't Kobayashi, Park, and their ilk.

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits.
That's fine, and people like the one thing that she's good at doing. But after all her Shaft roles, including probably her best role in SoreMachi, she hasn't even had to try all that hard in anything she's done recently. She's gone back to being just like all the other actresses out there.

I should do this instead and get bonus hipster points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNTHyo8CeY

The song became much better when it was remade as an anime OP.
Fuck, I would almost argue that it's plagiarism. lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 13
pyiQJ.jpg
As someone who was not a fan of the early episodes of Hyouka, I'm really happy to see such a marked improvement in the quality of this show. The last two episodes have really been something vibrant, likeable, and understandable. There have also been some notable changes in how the series works, making me wonder if this is what KyoAni saw in the series all along.

One of the key factors is that characters have had time to go off on their own. This has been pretty big for me in pushing characters away from being a simple set of traits built to play off the Classics Club group. Off in their own element characters are established more as individuals with their own backgrounds. This has presented opportunities for the characters to move outside of what felt like very closed boxes. This has been most pronounced with Mayaka in the Manga Club, who is able to escape the confines of being the generic tsundere she is around the people of the Classics Club to really define herself as someone with genuine interests and opinions.

The other shift Hyouka has undergone is in its processing between scenes. Gone are the pointless mysteries with sudden and unpredictable solutions that fail to impact the viewer in any way. Instead Hyouka has transformed into a show absolutely jammed with foreshadowing, which has become essential in linking scenes that might otherwise feel irrelevant. Small objects are traded for one another, characters announce their plans and intentions regularly and we see them attempt to follow through on them, and the intentions and direction of where the show is going at all times feels incredibly clear to the viewer.

I am extremely impressed with how this show is being handled at the moment. I am really hopeful that things continue this way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 03:

48RC0.jpg

It's funny because I can take this totally innocuous line from the episode and turn it into a statement about the series.

Debito must have the world's strongest hair gel.

So, uhh, if this can't be a shounen, could it at least be a shoujo? I would gladly take sparkles-and-roses-laden bishounen courtship and gratuitous manservice over the absolute nothingness that has defined this series thus far. This isn't even Brave 10 in suits because at least that show pretended to have actual fights.

Narag

Dudu the Floatie

What a wonderful little tale. I really thought both the grounded and more fantastical elements were handled well and the energetic introduction of Mika as her mother chased after her in the beginning was great. Easily the best of the three young animator's projects I've seen this year.

Nafe

Oh, I just skim the thread. I look over every post made but not in a way that I spend any time actually reading it unless something catches my attention.

Why, yes, in fact, I did spontaneously tear up around that time today. :(

Okay, yeah I find I'm doing that type of thing more and more otherwise I'll get 120 pages behind like a couple of OT's ago. That was with skipping and skimming too so obviously I needed to skim more.

I should do this instead and get bonus hipster points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNTHyo8CeY

The song became much better when it was remade as an anime OP.
[/spoiler]

That's pretty cool! Agreement with the spoiler as well. I actually have found myself listening to Tomizawa Michi's song "Flame Sniper" recently.

Hey, you don't always haft to agree with someone to think they are a cool poster!
I disagree with pizzaroll on a lot of things for example

That's true. Well you're all fine in my book as far as I'm concerned really. I wouldn't mind talking to you guys more actually. I like your Asuka avatars too.

Nah, it's cool. That was my imperceptible sense of humor leaking through. You have my permission to only like Angel's Egg for the hair animation. It is really nice hair animation.

What, you don't like puppies...?

I like puppies just not seeing
what happens to them

Well you do have the best sailor scout as your avatar.

We're back on the road to friendship already :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's pretty cool! Agreement with the spoiler as well. I actually have found myself listening to Tomizawa Michi's song "Flame Sniper" recently.
I'm not really big on the vocal songs Michie Tomizawa did for Sailor Moon overall ("Fire Soul Love" is like a bad Paula Abdul song), but "Flame Sniper" does have that hilariously stilted opener and the pre-refrain and refrain are ok.

Nafe

I'm not really big on the vocal songs Michie Tomizawa did for Sailor Moon overall ("Fire Soul Love" is like a bad Paula Abdul song), but "Flame Sniper" does have that hilariously stilted opener and the pre-refrain and refrain are ok. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that Mirai e mukatte is pretty much the best vocal album of the franchise.

Yeah the engrish at the beginning makes me laugh almost every time. The two Christmas songs she did I didn't think were too bad overall though. Yeah "White Christmas" sounds like "fwhite Christmas" and such but I thought they were okay. Maybe I'm just a biased fan though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah the engrish at the beginning makes me laugh almost every time. The two Christmas songs she did I didn't think were too bad overall though. Yeah "White Christmas" sounds like "fwhite Christmas" and such but I thought they were okay. Maybe I'm just a biased fan though.
Speaking of the Christmas albums, Rika Fukami's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" is the best version I've heard, mostly because somebody didn't tell them that the song is traditionally sung by the worst, most screechy vocalist you can find.

Narag

Nichijou 8

I'm onboard for the supercar bicycle being cool and the Hakase lying skit had me laughing. I'm going to assume the limited view presented in the elevator sequence was to create a sense of enclosure.

Branduil

Hyouka 13

As someone who was not a fan of the early episodes of Hyouka, I'm really happy to see such a marked improvement in the quality of this show. The last two episodes have really been something vibrant, likeable, and understandable. There have also been some notable changes in how the series works, making me wonder if this is what KyoAni saw in the series all along.

One of the key factors is that characters have had time to go off on their own. This has been pretty big for me in pushing characters away from being a simple set of traits built to play off the Classics Club group. Off in their own element characters are established more as individuals with their own backgrounds. This has presented opportunities for the characters to move outside of what felt like very closed boxes. This has been most pronounced with Mayaka in the Manga Club, who is able to escape the confines of being the generic tsundere she is around the people of the Classics Club to really define herself as someone with genuine interests and opinions.

The other shift Hyouka has undergone is in its processing between scenes. Gone are the pointless mysteries with sudden and unpredictable solutions that fail to impact the viewer in any way. Instead Hyouka has transformed into a show absolutely jammed with foreshadowing, which has become essential in linking scenes that might otherwise feel irrelevant. Small objects are traded for one another, characters announce their plans and intentions regularly and we see them attempt to follow through on them, and the intentions and direction of where the show is going at all times feels incredibly clear to the viewer.

I am extremely impressed with how this show is being handled at the moment. I am really hopeful that things continue this way.

I feel like the writing has steadily improved throughout the show, with episode six being the sole aberration. This festival arc has definitely taken it to a new level, and it helps that KyoAni is bringing it big time in terms of production value.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That actually pissed me off
Its like it never happened

at least the writers of Avatar had the balls to have characters kiss before the end of the entire show, you know, like people tend to do.
Shounen characters are all a-sexual.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. The only thing that irritates me more is that Naruto himself has yet to pull her aside to discuss it further. I mean, really?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 13

The scope has changed by being larger than Oreki, but the show is still about him and how he's being played. Notice how even though he engineered
the sales booth position in order to do nothing, he is still drawn into the mystery that is haunting the festival by his sister. Consider that he's also the first person to "notice" the ransom notes back in episode 12 and how that happens right before the chain of trades begins.

The trick that this arc has is that the characters are all split off, so you have different stories to distract you from the fact that
Oreki is being dragged into another mystery
, but that seems to be precisely what is happening at this point. Unless something happens, it seems almost inevitable that
they'll get into the extra edition
anyway.

Branduil

The scope has changed by being larger than Oreki, but the show is still about him and how he's being played. Notice how even though he engineered
the sales booth position in order to do nothing, he is still drawn into the mystery that is haunting the festival by his sister. Consider that he's also the first person to "notice" the ransom notes back in episode 12 and how that happens right before the chain of trades begins.

The trick that this arc has is that the characters are all split off, so you have different stories to distract you from the fact that
Oreki is being dragged into another mystery
, but that seems to be precisely what is happening at this point. Unless something happens, it seems almost inevitable that
they'll get into the extra edition
anyway.

There's clearly an intricate and complex web of plotlines being laid down, with a number of disparate elements that could eventually tie together. I'm pretty excited to see what happens.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Campione! 02:

CDVebl.jpg

I am so fucking tired of this lamely self-aware joke appearing in so many series but I guess what they're saying is true in this case because Campione! doesn't even deserve to be called anime.

If it's even possible, this was more animu than the first episode. Generic ecchi, generic nagging imouto, generic transfer student scene, generic superpowers, generic villain, generic motivations, generic meido, generic miko, generic secret organization, generic everything. It's the absolute worst kind of bad, although I have to give it credit for still being able to make me rage at the protagonist's stupidity after I thought I was totally drained of outrage due to watching Sword Art Online episode two earlier today.

"Protagonist-kun, you're only being used by Italian Tits-chan to further the goals of the shadowy order she belongs to."

"How dare you only pretend to love me, Italian Tits-chan?"

"No Protagonist-kun, I rly love you. Let me prove it to you."

flies to Italy

"Let me introduce you to all of the members of the shadowy order I belong to. Why don't you demonstrate your power in front of them so that they can evaluate your abilities for their own selfish purposes?"

"oh ok you really do love me after all"

I should drop this but I'm giving it another episode in case I can salvage the experience as a hatewatch.

Nichijou 8

I'm onboard for the supercar bicycle being cool and the Hakase lying skit had me laughing. I'm going to assume the limited view presented in the elevator sequence was to create a sense of enclosure.

The elevator scene is one of my favorites, with my favorite being the Starbucks gag.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's clearly an intricate and complex web of plotlines being laid down, with a number of disparate elements that could eventually tie together. I'm pretty excited to see what happens.
Yeah, I'm personally hoping to see if he figures out that
his sister has been behind everything
by the end of the series. At the very least, the movie arc made it clear that he's
not as sharp as she is shown to be.

Branduil

Yeah, I'm personally hoping to see if he figures out that
his sister has been behind everything
by the end of the series. At the very least, the movie arc made it clear that he's
not as sharp as she is shown to be.

His Achilles Heel is his weakness to women.

Tari Tari 03
mZBqi.gif

Bike away!

Fun episode. The characters are still fun, it's just slice of life with singing but really good singing so that's fun. It's finally nice to have all five characters mostly together now instead of split off doing whatever. Nice change to the ED as well.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ugh... I'm kinda drunk alreayd, and I'm fuckin around in the IRC, messin up eerbody...

okay.. Steoms;Gate 24 let's go!!

(I'm probably going to haveto watch this again tomorrow8)

Narag

Princess Nine 1

I'll never escape the evergrowing infinite backlog but if I keep getting stuff like this I'll be fine with it. What a godly OP and soundtrack. Thanks to Geneijin for pointing out to me it was Masamichi Amano. It was neat to hit up wikipedia and see that more than one show that had an OST I was fond of was due to him.

Really liking the character designs too.

Uchip

Banned
Ugh... I'm kinda drunk alreayd, and I'm fuckin around in the IRC, messin up eerbody...

okay.. Steoms;Gate 24 let's go!!

(I'm probably going to haveto watch this again tomorrow8)

o hey im drunk too
friend ran away from his wife and brought over a bottle of vodka :S
Steins Gate would be a bit hard to follow in that state for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom