• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Ugh... I'm kinda drunk alreayd, and I'm fuckin around in the IRC, messin up eerbody...

okay.. Steoms;Gate 24 let's go!!

(I'm probably going to haveto watch this again tomorrow8)

SvgJ9.gif

Jex

Code Geass Akito

There's interesting news from people who watched the early screening today too. Suzaku and CC are going to appear in the next episode, and there's a CG Lancelot too. The general impressions from the fans seem pretty good, but I didn't read stuff related to the story (spoilz!). Mostly they find the setting and characters interesting, and the robot action really impressive. :D

I will never forgive Code Geass and it's betrayal of sweet 2D mecha animation.

Never.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
o hey im drunk too
friend ran away from his wife and brought over a bottle of vodka :S
Steins Gate would be a bit hard to follow in that state for sure

im tyring! wait, wait now?

mywife tried to bake some cake or somethign im not really sure but she said

yeah, anyways... its time for my 7th shot of vodka!! my wife is yeling but she's still here.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tari Tari 03

Bike away!

Fun episode. The characters are still fun, it's just slice of life with singing but really good singing so that's fun. It's finally nice to have all five characters mostly together now instead of split off doing whatever. Nice change to the ED as well.

"I no money!"

Loved the old people helping them out near the end of the episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kids on the Slope 07
that was so coooooooooooool GATTAI

I was so worried the show wouldn't be able to recover from the silly animeisms introduced in episode six. That case of the Scrappy Doo or whatever you might call that trope was swiftly taken care of and instead we get focused on the main duo dynamics once again. This show is so good when it leaves the silly melodrama for the... well, drama.

Kids on the Slope 08
Today's developments were rather sudden.
I don't even remember when the fuck Yurika and Jun-niichan even kissed. I hadn't felt the speed at which they were going through the material before, probably because the story had been so compact that the glossing over details didn't effect the main plot. The shift in focus here towards Jun-niichan's school/love issues isn't unwelcome, it's just weird and unexpected when we are in the middle of all the love triangle between Riko/Sen/Nishinishi. It feels like an entirely different arc at the moment. I'm not so sure the show should be taking such liberties when it has so little time to sort its plotlines out.

Kids on the Slope 09
I won't retract my previous comments regarding this particular subplot, but at least that was neatly sorted out. It does help lighten the emotional baggage for Sen and Riko and make it obvious where the things are going now. I really liked the scene with Riko and whatsherface too,
it shows how different they are from when they first met each other, as well as their acceptance of Cupid's pettiness.
The amount of character development going on in KotS is amazing considering the short length. It puts into perspective the dullness that was having to marathon through the second half of Mysterious Girlfriend X in one night.

Ugh.

Jex

Random note to self: get RightStuf to take me off of their mailing list. I'm certainly not ashamed to like anime, but receiving ads for Panty and Stocking in the actual mail is kind of embarrassing. I always kind of thought that they valued anonymity considering how generic their company name is compared to all of the SqueeJapanOtakuKawaiiDVDStore.coms of the internet, heh.

They're just trying to shame you, that's all.
Sword Art Online 02:

Looks like this is the big discussion series of the season, so I need to watch the episodes much sooner if I'm going to actually be able to participate in said discussion.

Don't let the peer pressure get you!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oda Nobuna no Yabou 02:

The sheer amount of shaky cam in this series is horrifying. It may even surpass Yami levels. somebody make it stoooooooooooooooooooooop

Also, I now realize why several musical tracks in this series are aggressively bad: the composer is Takanashi Yasuharu, and a lot of the music in Oda Nobuna strongly resembles the stuff he's barfed out for the previous few Precure series. This series would be so much better if the characters were all magical girls on top of being genderflipped.

Regarding the plot,
so much for trying to preserve the timeline, I guess. I was really hoping that protagonist-kun would have to continually use his Sengoku Jidai knowledge to accurately replicate Hideyoshi's role in history, but that's suddenly out of the window in spite of him being so seriously intent on maintaining this objective in the first episode.

I suppose that if I can't have my bad end at Honnouji now, I at least want to see him return to a Japan and a world in general that are hugely fucked up because Nobunaga united Japan under militaristic rule.

There's just enough genuinely interesting stuff buried in all of the animu to keep me entertained for now, so this is something that I'll probably be okay keeping up with for the rest of the season.

Caesnd

Yes, and it gets more infrequent with each passing year.

Enjoy your 2D animation while you have it. Soon everything will be 3D renders...

I don't think the studios in Japan will let this happen. They got too much pride in the genga part of the process to completely abandon it. There are also, as has been discussed in this very thread, quite a few up and coming animators with great skill as well.

What I fear for more is a lack of quality character design (this has already slipped quite a bit imo) and storyboarding.

And Eiji Nakata/Nakada is the man.

Accel World 7-8

I guess I got farther than I realized and had watched up to 6 before I quit. Should tell you just how memorable the show was up to that point.

Episode 7 was pretty standard and the fight wasn't even that cool.

Episode 8 had so many cringe/facepalm worthy moments its hard to pick just one as a favorite. The obvious choice would be the bathroom fall and boob grab but thats too boring. No I have to pick this little nugget for how meta it is.
Adding a token loli to a show is always a good way to earn my contempt. Bonus points if you make her a conniving bitch under the surface.

This episode was not good to my liver.

Shot Count: 4

Dresden

Accel World 7-8

I guess I got farther than I realized and had watched up to 6 before I quit. Should tell you just how memorable the show was up to that point.

Episode 7 was pretty standard and the fight wasn't even that cool.

Episode 8 had so many cringe/facepalm worthy moments its hard to pick just one as a favorite. The obvious choice would be the bathroom fall and boob grab but thats too boring. No I have to pick this little nugget for how meta it is.

Adding a token loli to a show is always and good way to earn my contempt. Bonus points if you make her a conniving bitch under the surface.

This episode was not good to my liver.

Shot Count: 4

Best haru shot is still this imo.

GZfCGl.jpg

Campione! 02:

If it's even possible, this was more animu than the first episode. Generic ecchi, generic nagging imouto, generic transfer student scene, generic superpowers, generic villain, generic motivations, generic meido, generic miko, generic secret organization, generic everything. It's the absolute worst kind of bad, although I have to give it credit for still being able to make me rage at the protagonist's stupidity after I thought I was totally drained of outrage due to watching Sword Art Online episode two earlier today.

"Protagonist-kun, you're only being used by Italian Tits-chan to further the goals of the shadowy order she belongs to."

"How dare you only pretend to love me, Italian Tits-chan?"

"No Protagonist-kun, I rly love you. Let me prove it to you."

flies to Italy

"Let me introduce you to all of the members of the shadowy order I belong to. Why don't you demonstrate your power in front of them so that they can evaluate your abilities for their own selfish purposes?"

"oh ok you really do love me after all"

I should drop this but I'm giving it another episode in case I can salvage the experience as a hatewatch.
As soon as someone posted that screencap, I dropped Campione harder than I've ever dropped anything before. It's amazing how one screenshot can reveal so much about a show.

Don't do this to yourself, Pierrot.

Jinrui 03

qMqd6.gif

How amusing that the most preserved data left is BL doujins.

Not a bad episode. Kinda felt that they were stretching it out to make it fit, but still somewhat amusing.

Assistant-kun is right to fear them fangirls.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kids on the Slope 10
ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wait a minute, a whole year passed already?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. ): I THINK ALL IS GONNA BE FINE AND IT ISN'T
I don't think the studios in Japan will let this happen. They got too much pride in the genga part of the process to completely abandon it. There are also, as has been discussed in this very thread, quite a few up and coming animators with great skill as well.

What I fear for more is a lack of quality character design (this has already slipped quite a bit imo) and storyboarding.

And Eiji Nakata/Nakada is the man.
There's only so much faith I can put of Japanese pride. I'm afraid cheaper costs of 3D animation will eventually render such honourable decisions moot, but we shall see.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
As soon as someone posted that screencap, I dropped Campione harder than I've ever dropped anything before. It's amazing how one screenshot can reveal so much about a show.

Don't do this to yourself, Pierrot.

I don't think that a single series has ever had a "protagonist-kun's loser herbivore bros freak out because he suddenly has a sexy girlfriend" scene and ended up good afterward. It's really the biggest warning sign there is.

I have taken your plea to heart, and I'll only keep watching after the next episode if it's extremely impressive in its badness.

even the AnimeGAF court jester can't perform 24/7 without eventually collapsing :(

Caesnd

There's only so much faith I can put of Japanese pride. I'm afraid cheaper costs of 3D animation will eventually render such honourable decisions moot, but we shall see.

A lot of things can happen for sure, but I don't think the global economy will stay in its current state forever. I hope for an upturn at some point (although that's really far off, even in the best case scenario) :)

Dresden: that shot makes me think of Akira for some reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom