• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Binbougami - Episode 2

I liked this episode way more than the first way. The gags were funnier and the direction on a whole was much more energetic. The parodies are pretty diverse, which makes it much more fun too. The fight at the end was pretty hilarious, and I -love- the way it ended. Totally random but *so good*. I hope the series keeps up this pace. After all, they seem self-aware that it is a 1-cour show, so they should step it up! The post-credits gags are pretty great too. Lol. :D

This shot is awesome:

Oh cool, wasn't expecting you to like the episode after your opinion of the first.

Branduil

A prolonged strike from who though? The animators in Japan already feel threatened that their jobs can easily be replaced by overseas animator in Asia who cost even less. If they get together and strike, wouldn't that just ensure that they have no work left? No pay at all sounds even worse than shitty pay.

Yeah, I can't imagine any solution which doesn't first require a fundamental transformation of Japanese society.

I know animators, and especially inbetweeners, get paid quite poorly, but what kind of salary can you pull if you're a series director?

Looks and sounds like a darker Blue Exorcist! Mehish.

Kind of. It's more like a battle shounen Death Note, but if the Death Note users were portrayed sympathetically and redeemable despite continuing to brutally murder people. They also take part in comedic high school hijinks, so yay!

duckroll

But are there enough animators in South Korea and elsewhere to fill the void? If all of the animators went on strike, surely the higher ups would freak out. It's not like they could transfer the workload overnight. Not to mention the issue of talent.

Well, it's a bit more complex than that. The problem isn't really just a case of animators vs higher-ups here. It is rather a case where animators have always been paid terribly, but since it is an artistic field, the majority are driven by the desire to contribute their talent rather than for financial gain. If a full scale strike were to be organized, someone would need to lead it, and the majority of animators would need to agree to it.

But why would they do that when they would be destroying their own industry? What exactly would they be striking for in the first place? I think we're all in agreement that there are no reasonable terms which can be negotiated to improve working conditions for animators without the majority of sponsors and studios having to basically shut down overnight and the entire industry to reinvent a new business model which might or might not work.

That's not the sort of thing you can strike over. You have a strike when you think there is a reasonable chance that you can negotiate for better terms without the entire industry going under. For the average Japanese animator, especially the talented ones and the veterans, if you ask them whether they would choose the shit pay they have now, or the possibility of never working in animation again, what do you think they would say?

Those who really cannot survive as an animator and need better financial conditions generally leave the industry and find work in another field. So the ones who really matter in the industry are those who have basically chosen this path knowing full well that its a shitty job, but they love doing it. Most of them can probably get an office job somewhere else which pays better and is more stable, so it's not a case where they're literally being forced to work in this industry either.

It's pretty much an unsolvable problem unless the entire industry actually collapses. Which it won't because there's just enough to keep it going as long as the money is there. That money just doesn't trickle down, because if it ever does, then there won't be much money at all to even motivate anyone to fund anime.

duckroll

Yeah, I can't imagine any solution which doesn't first require a fundamental transformation of Japanese society.

I know animators, and especially inbetweeners, get paid quite poorly, but what kind of salary can you pull if you're a series director?

Well, there was this article from a few years back: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-10/directors-dispute-reports-of-poor-animator-salaries

It could be helpful in giving some perspective on the financial status of the industry.

Firemind

I remember an article about Satoshi Kon where it gave information about his financial situation and it's not extravagant. He lived in a moderate home with his wife and he's basically a well-known figure in the industry.

duckroll

In the article I linked above there are also links to Cindy H. Yamauchi's blog about her opinion on the low pay in the anime industry.

Part 1: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....:692009-janica-part-i&catid=14:blog&Itemid=87

Part 2: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....162009-janica-part-ii&catid=14:blog&Itemid=85

Part 3: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....82009-janica-part-iii&catid=14:blog&Itemid=85

I think it's a pretty good read, and it also explains from an animator's perspective why they don't see the industry as a "problem". Which is why there will never be a strike and serious reform.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Naruto Shippuuden - 238

cUN93.png

One of the few moments where Sakura looks cool

Sai focused episode with flashbacks. Here's hoping I'll be done with the fillers soon.

Hagure something something something 02

This is just as stupid as Rosario Vampire with no comedy and basically everything uncensored.

Yay, first drop of the season.

Accel World 14

In my continuing trend of watching bad anime today, yeah, this was terrible.

Blah, school scenes are so boring. So, so boring.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Isnt it coming in August? Fairy Tail and Naruto Shippuden movie this summer, I just realized.

Yeah, just checked and saw that it hits theatres in Japan on July 28th.

Naruto Shippuuden - 239

Am I the only one or are others expecting
Ino to end up with Chouji as well? I mean it's pretty apparent that Shikamaru and Temari will become a pair, and her "feelings" for Sasuke was nothing of substance in comparison to Sakura's.

It could be worse, he could be watching K-ON.

Fixed.

Either is acceptable, but if you want to take things a step further and go with the absolute worst possible thing that he could watch, the answer would still be Fairy Tail.

Depends on what you rather do. Suffer through 300+ episodes of Bleach or 100+ episodes of Fairy Tail.

How long do you want your pain to last?

Depends on what you rather do. Suffer through 300+ episodes of Bleach or 100+ episodes of Fairy Tail.

How long do you want your pain to last?

But Fairy Tail is a series everyone needs to experience. Like Naruto it shows how to make an excellent adaptation of the source material without going the way of disappointing filler arcs.

Shots fired.

Bleach is perfectly watchable if you only watch the Soul Society Arc. It's not a perfect ending, but it beats watching 300 more episodes.

Why would you stop at Soul Society? That is an odd place considering how limited and low many characters abilities were. I mean, as a Hitsugaya fan I would definitely have not stopped at that point. Soul Society was like a drop in the bucket for the true potential of Bleach, and so much got better after that arc, like character designs, abilities, and attacks, and etc. And the filler arcs after the Bounts were actually entertaining. They are even worth a rewatch.

cajunator

Banned
Jeez, the whole industry sounds fucked. People buying more anime is not going to fix anything. No point in fueling a machine that needs to be scrapped and redesigned. However, assuming KyoAni and some of the other top companies are run much, much better, they at least deserve sales.

WTFNO.
I will continue supporting this industry however I can until the very last episode of the very last animu airs. I think it has enough enthusiasm and creativity to keep soldiering on, although it will be a long long time before it ever becomes good work for aspiring animators.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh. YOU KNOW :D

Dang, Sound Directors take it to the bank.

SO thats why even mediocre anime has stellar soundtracks!

Once again, Discotek Media reaches into the back catalog and this time comes up with... a license renewal for Golden Boy, I guess.

This license is quite golden. GOldenboy is one of my favorites and a true classic. It really does have a great overall story and message despite the absolutely silly and perverted look of it.

Firemind

Why would you stop at Soul Society? That is an odd place considering how limited and low many characters abilities were. I mean, as a Hitsugaya fan I would definitely have not stopped at that point. Soul Society was like a drop in the bucket for the true potential of Bleach, and so much got better after that arc, like character designs, abilities, and attacks, and etc. And the filler arcs after the Bounts were actually entertaining. They are even worth a rewatch.

Everyone showed their Bankai except, like, Kenpachi. Villain is sort of defeated. Soul Society is saved. Like I said, it's not perfect, but I heard the actual anime ending isn't the greatest either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom