• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Gawdamn. I have never seen that many episodes per disc.
6 is the most.

Some of Bandai Entertainments end-of-life stuff was floating around the seven episode a disk region, and a lot of them looked pretty bad. I think the worst was probably their Hayate the Combat Butler DVDs - the Synergy SP series had a peculiar softening effect applied around the periphery of the screen as is, which, combined with some of the compression artefacting, made it difficult to watch at times. SoraKakeGirl looked pretty bad as well - the European disks, where it was running fewer episodes a disk (it was released as three 2-disk sets here rather than four single disk ones), actually looked way better despite some odd aliasing introduced due to them scaling it up from an NTSC resolution source (I guess Sunrise didn't send them the masters used for the Japanese BDs!).

Funimation cram seven episodes onto a lot of their DVDs these days as well, since they release thirteen episode chunks as two disk sets. I don't really have to look at those much these days since most of their releases I've bought recently have shipped with BDs. They don't look anywhere near as bad as the Bandai stuff (not anymore anyway, there was a period where Funi's encodes were awful), but it's still way more than is really sensible to cram onto a DVD.

cajunator

Banned
Ok I just checked and wow they stuffed 8 episodes onto the first Bluray and 3 on the second.
The first Ano Hana DVD has 6 episodes and the second has 5.

Girl wears a tank top, jeans, and her hair is tied back into a ponytail.

Solid yuri candidate I say.

the real answer is probably none of the above :(

Naruto SD 16

1eCAq.gif

Look at how well their food glows!

Fun, fun episode. I really enjoyed the food cooking competition. They went with a simple idea and executed it pretty well. Sure it could have been done in any series really, but it was still really fun.

The other part was ok. A little dull with reusing the same gags and junk.

Narag

Koutetsu Jeeg 1

Hey, another series that starts with a race. This is the original show from 1975 that 2007's Koutetsushin Jeeg was based on and is sort of a psuedosequel to.

This is so manly too. To establish Hiroshi Shiba's manliness at the beginning, he's racing then flung from his car, bounces off another car, gets run over by yet another racecar once he lands, shakes that shit off, and jumps back into the car he was thrown from and gets back into the race to win that sumbitch. To top it off, he's voiced by Toru Furuya which was a nice surprise. Thank goodness Himika is still hot too.

The quality of the animation is quite a bit higher than I expected given the age of the show and is something I hope is maintained throughout.

Always wondered why they had the the jeeg part scene in the Koutetsushin Jeeg OP. Turns out it was an homage to the original show.

Apparently one could get away with wearing anything in the 70s. I think one of the bad guys was wearing bellbottoms too.

Phi Brain 24

Hey let's spend a day with a megalomaniac! It's one of those eps where everyone knew it would go crazy anytime but we didn't know how crazy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fact that we're probably never getting any more Amagami makes me kind of sad, even if SS+ was underwhelming. The waifus in other anime just don't cut it.
+ was made just to apologize to Rihoko fans, so that's fine with me!

And I suppose they also introduced blonde Morishima for shiggles.

WTFNO.
I will continue supporting this industry however I can until the very last episode of the very last animu airs. I think it has enough enthusiasm and creativity to keep soldiering on, although it will be a long long time before it ever becomes good work for aspiring animators.
As an individual, your purchasing doesn't really have an impact one way or another. Though, your style of support is basically throwing money at the problem.
In the article I linked above there are also links to Cindy H. Yamauchi's blog about her opinion on the low pay in the anime industry.

Part 1: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....:692009-janica-part-i&catid=14:blog&Itemid=87

Part 2: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....162009-janica-part-ii&catid=14:blog&Itemid=85

Part 3: http://www.animestylepro.com/index....82009-janica-part-iii&catid=14:blog&Itemid=85

I think it's a pretty good read, and it also explains from an animator's perspective why they don't see the industry as a "problem". Which is why there will never be a strike and serious reform.
Interesting read.
I, for one, did not return the survey because I felt that it was no one's business but my own to know what I earn.
Idiot.

cajunator

Banned
Buying mecha stuff. Save the industry!

I do have some mecha stuff.
and horror genre stuff
and romantic stuff
and comedy genre stuff
and ecchi stuff
and slice of life
and fantasy
and action adventure
and philosophical/pyschological stuff
and police action
.....holy shit, its as though I dont just buy cheap shitty fanservice stuff that otakus like!
But that can't be true, can it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
.....holy shit, its as though I dont just buy cheap shitty fanservice stuff that otakus like!
But that can't be true, can it?
I am actually surprised by this.

You learn something new everyday.

Articalys

1st 256 Shana @ Shakugan No Shana
2nd 245 Taiga Aisaka @ Toradora!
3rd 204 Maho Misawa @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!
4th 182 Mayaka Ibara @ Hyouka
5th 168 Rika Furude @ When They Cry
6th 161 Lingyin Huang @ Infinite Stratos
7th 139 Rihoko Sakurai @ Amagami SS
7th 139 Aoi Ogiyama @ Ro-Kyu-Bu!
9th 136 Mio Kitahara @ Ano Natsu De Matteru
10th 133 Kurumi Hazuki @ Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel
11th 129 Perinne H. Clostermann @ Strike Witches
Kugimiya power, plus a decent showing for the other Hyouka lead girl.

Also, because I know some people would want to know for comparison's sake...
16th 94 Ichika Takatsuki @ Ano Natsu De Matteru
So she moves on to the second-chance prelim rounds and will likely be strong enough to qualify from those.

cajunator

Banned
nothing wrong with you or your style of support. You buy things you like.

And we are not talking about little children in Bangladesh but about people with college degrees in a free country. It's not your job to save the anime industry.

Bingo. Its my job to dispatch fuel trucks. Its not my job to figure out how to keep anime companies afloat. I buy anime for my own enjoyment, but it in some small way helps keep the lights on for US license companies, and in Aniplex's case it seems to directly benefit a Japanese company. I don't buy anime just for that reason though. If it helps them, cool, but as an anime fan I buy stuff because I like it. It makes me happy. I like collecting it.

cajunator

Banned
That's all you post about though. Show off your other shit sometime so we can ooh and aah over them!

Everyone has seen pics of my collection already. Do I have to make a list or something?
I enjoy a lot of the same shows the monocles do. Many such shows are actually at the top of my all time favorites list. I just happen to also enjoy cute shows to a considerable degree.

Reknoc

I still don't get the monocle stuff....

Think upper class snobs (Monocles) drinking expensive wine, enjoying its scent and what other bollocks. Looking down on the lower classes (Moustaches) drinking their cheapo boxed wine crap because all they care about is getting drunk.

Articalys

Whenever Discotek announces stuff, it's never just one thing. They've also licensed Lupin the 3rd: The Secret of Mamo, with all four English dubs ever produced for it included.
[T]his would be a hard sell if it were the same ol' Geneon/Phuuz Ent. dub. Sure, that dub will be on the DVD. But so will the Streamline Pictures dub from 1994. And so will the Manga UK dub from 1995. And for the first time on DVD, the full Toho dub from the late '70s. That's right: barring any unforeseen issues, all four English dubs are present and accounted for.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tari Tari 02, 03:

bhPeZ.gif

I was inordinately amused by this scene as "random hawk swoops in and steals something" is a gag that I associate with American cartoons. This gif would be perfect if I could just find a way to extend the final frame of his disappointed expression.

So, this show is okay so far. The eyes are still hella creepy, but I'm beginning to appreciate that the main cast isn't comprised of characters who have a single trait that dominates their entire personality. The most unbelievable character in the show is actually Bitchmonster-sensei, hahah. Singing is not a subject matter that personally interests me, but the balance between that and the slice-of-life stuff is pretty good and there are colorful supporting characters to help liven things up like the principal, preggers-sensei, and the overly-friendly musclebound gaijin. I'm glad that I stuck with this after the first episode.

Dresden

Think upper class snobs (Monocles) drinking expensive wine, enjoying its scent and what other bollocks. Looking down on the lower classes (Moustaches) drinking their cheapo boxed wine crap because all they care about is getting drunk.

I think the better analogy is monocles eating at the snobbish future Taco Bell:

crPgY.png

meanwhile the mustaches stuff themselves on beansoup burritos.

awQ1A.jpg

But in the end... it's still fucking Taco Bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom