• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still need to find something as good as Mononoke.

You've watched the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi, right? Otherwise there's nothing quite like Mononoke. Well, Hakaba Kitarou does seem a bit like Mononoke from the little I've seen of it.

Also, this sort of got lost in the news shuffle, but NISA is doing a season 1+2 DVD collection box set for Natsume:

Quite the nice choice for the artbook cover.

Beautiful. Will buy.

You've watched the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi, right? Otherwise there's nothing quite like Mononoke. Well, Hakaba Kitarou does seem a bit like Mononoke from the little I've seen of it.

I did and I enjoyed it. When I mentioned Mononoke, I meant the mystery aspect of the show, rather than the wonderful art. I loved watching it at night.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There are a ton of off-screen photos showing the animated promo video here: http://www.4gamer.net/games/161/G016181/20120630017/

It's definitely not an anime proper, just an promotional video which will likely end up being used as the opening video or something.

Aw, yeah. You're most definitely right.

I was hoping for a 20-min episode.

Well, at least it looks cool. I like this shot:

6g1z4.jpg

I did and I enjoyed it. When I mentioned Mononoke, I meant the mystery aspect of the show, rather than the wonderful art. I loved watching it at night.

Well, Mononoke is one of the greatest anime ever made, so finding something at that level is a bit difficult. I've only seen the first couple minutes of Hakaba Kitarou, but I do think it might satisfy you - it was Toei's follow up noitamina show to Mononoke and appears to have a similar dark supernatural mystery vibe and approach with an excellent visual style. Otherwise, you may have watched these as well but Boogiepop Phantom and Vampire Princess Miyu TV come to mind.

jbug617

Banned
Also, this sort of got lost in the news shuffle, but NISA is doing a season 1+2 DVD collection box set for Natsume:

Quite the nice choice for the artbook cover.

I really do like NISA box sets. I wish they could do one for Tsuritama, I like the art style of the series.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Welp, Binbogami ga is 100% confirmed to be Funimation now. Someone found this image on their site:

Code:
http://www.funimation.com/sites/all/themes/funimation2/shows/binbougami-ga/splash.jpg

Huh. I guess I'll watch the first episode at least.

Funi's two simulcasts are Binbogami ga! (which we knew) and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.

Fantasy RPG show that suffers from flashes of light. How fun.

Here's all the new home release stuff too:

- Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- Jormungand
- Blood-C and Blood-C: The Last Dark
- Michiko & Hatchin

and a couple other things I didn't feel were worth mentioning here; check the link for them.

Surprised they got the rest of rights for Aria the Scarlet Ammo.

Well Sentai is awesome this weekend for me, first Hiiro no Kakera and now Arcana Famiglia licensed

North American anime licensing company Sentai Filmworks announced on Saturday that it acquired the La storia della Arcana Famiglia television anime series. The anime will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow next year. Crunchyroll announced on Friday that it will stream the anime as it airs in Japan.

Ultimadrago

Gintama 6

A story between
a father. his daughter and his word.
It's played like a typical episodic plot of its standing. There's some comedy here and a settling moment for the "Client of the week" there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any anime similar to Dusk Maiden besides Bakemonogatari & Sankarea?

Natsu no Arashi. It's basically the same show, but, in my opinion, even better.

(Also, for some reason I find myself as the hype machine for this show... hopefully someone else can take over once people start watching it. lol)

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu

Star of the movie, folks.

So the last Haruhi related thing that will probably be made. And, it was fantastically done. I mean sure the almost three hour run time was pretty off putting and it did basically take a whole afternoon to watch it, it was still very nicely done. It was very nice visually, the music was really good and fit the tone of the movie really well.

The first part of the movie was basically watching Kyon break down from having things suddenly change. The whole time I was asking why didn't he ask Nagato immediately?

But, I really liked the focus the second part of the movie gave to Nagato. It really developed a character that is normally in the background of the show and really made me understand her actions of the show.
If anything, I would have been ok if Kyon just stayed in the other world with that Nagato.

Great movie and I can totally see why KyoAni didn't make this as normal episodes.

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo 4

After 4 episodes I can say that this is not a particularly funny show. A lot of their skits just fall flat and I find myself wondering what was the joke. However, it's not boring and I don't see myself dropping it at all. I guess I have something for an anime about girls saying the craziest things.

I do like how their previews say how many pages they are covering and from what volume. I want more anime to do this.

Lain

Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena

After postponing watching this for so long, I finally did it.
I'm amazed. Amazed by how much it fucked with my brain, I'm still not sure about certain things; amazed by how much deliciously yuri it was: the closing scene, the bedroom scene, the garden scene, the sketching scene, the fleeing scene; amazed by the music, the way it was used mostly, which also made it feel better compared to the TV show for me.
Utena
turning into a car, and the whole car chase
was a great WTF moment.
I think I prefer movie Anthy to TV Anthy, while movie Utena loses to TV Utena for me, but with short hair she's pretty cute.

Oh, and there was so little of Akio that I was overjoyed, and what little there was, made for a pretty entertaining/wtf watch.
The Nanami cameo was funny, and I think I only now got who Chuchu was... or maybe I forgot before.

Anyways, great movie that managed to surpass my expectations, as it looked pretty good for my standards and even the dub was great. Best 2,61€ I ever spent.

I think I should track down the manga next and read that.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Natsu no Arashi. It's basically the same show, but, in my opinion, even better.

(Also, for some reason I find myself as the hype machine for this show... hopefully someone else can take over once people start watching it. lol)

I would, but I feel like someone needs to give Arakawa Under the Bridge some love.

Well, Mononoke is one of the greatest anime ever made, so finding something at that level is a bit difficult. I've only seen the first couple minutes of Hakaba Kitarou, but I do think it might satisfy you - it was Toei's follow up noitamina show to Mononoke and appears to have a similar dark supernatural mystery vibe and approach with an excellent visual style. Otherwise, you may have watched these as well but Boogiepop Phantom and Vampire Princess Miyu TV come to mind.

An entry in a massive franchise from the 50s was the followup to something from 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom