• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Really, even the first season of Maria+Holic had terrible yuri, if that's what you're getting at. It was only good on the strength of its comedy, hah.

Well the fact that Kanako was denied most/all of the time is what made it so enjoyable. She was a pervert that wanted her fellow maidens. It's not often we get a lesbian lead who has the mindset of a guy.

Ultimadrago

Poyopoyo 20

2Geqt.png

Hypothetical Poyo babies are a one-hit knockout.

Campione! ep 1 Heretic Gods and the Godslayer Demon Lord!
tumblr_m6gopjcVZ31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Godou Kusanagi is a compelling main character, mainly, he seemed to be pretty willing to accept the new powers thrust upon him and come up with an epic flashy strategy there. I liked it, and will definitely rewatch it. These are the types of magic I like, flashy, and godly, and the antagonist seemed great. I think its visuals are definitely its strongest point while some of the er romance stuff is the weakest
the kiss(es) were awkward as was that bedroom scene

That blade there that he used that can cut through divinity and then when Godou used it and thousands of blades came out...mind blown!

wonzo

Banned
Only for Americans. :(
my vpn says otherwise!

Space Pirates FIN

Also, maybe I'm a bit dense, but is it confirmed that
Ironbeard is Marika's father
? Because that's the one thing that I felt the show really dropped the ball on... but if that's the case, then maybe I'm willing to forgive it.
Gruier referred to Ironbeard as Gonzaemon in their little conversation so yes, he is indeed Marika's father.

Defuser

But it was only kind of funny. I would have liked Maria+Holic much more if there was some sense of progression to its story. It is really just difficult for me to watch something so slow paced when it never feels like it is moving anywhere. By the time Alive came around it really just became a slog.
If Shaft have air Alive earlier, it would have been abit more bearable but they air it too late which makes it a chore .

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But it was only kind of funny. I would have liked Maria+Holic much more if there was some sense of progression to its story. It is really just difficult for me to watch something so slow paced when it never feels like it is moving anywhere. By the time Alive came around it really just became a slog.

Yeah, I don't mean to overstate just how funny the show is. Only some of the gags worked, it was, as you said, hamstrung by the lack of progression, and Maria was pretty badly utilized. I was expecting the majority of the humor to come from Maria trolling and verbally abusing Kanako, but it took a pretty different direction. My interest was barely running on the fumes of the heavy SHAFT-ism by the end of S1, and I have no idea how I made it through S2 when it became a series of incredibly unfunny gimmick episodes.

Well the fact that Kanako was denied most/all of the time is what made it so enjoyable. She was a pervert that wanted her fellow maidens. It's not often we get a lesbian lead who has the mindset of a guy.

It was a pretty fun take on a lesbian protagonist, which is undeniable, but a lot of her fantasies and inner monologues were ruined by the shift to chibi characters, "pig Kanako", sudden nosebleeds, etc. There was no restraint and the gags were run into the ground endlessly to the point that they became the humor instead of merely supplementing it.

Soma

Welp getting started on my backlog. First impressions on what I've started on:

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Episode 01

Pretty fun first episode. Totally forgot that Omigawa voices the main character. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on her voice but I like her as Judo Girl from Seitokai Yakuindomo at least and it seems rather fitting for this character. I've never been big on the whole maid fascination but this was pretty entertaining for the most part.

Eden Of The East Episode 01-03

Oasis for an anime OP eh? Interesting.

Aside from the sense that the main characters seem weirdly compliant with everything going on around them, this was pretty great. Takizawa seems like a really fun protagonist and I enjoy the chemistry between him and Saki. The plot seems like it's got a lot of potential and so far I'm hooked. Really digging this so far.

Trapeze Episode 01

Haha wow. I knew I had to expect something a little off the wall from the artwork I previewed before starting this but I don't think I was quite ready for this.

Besides tsuritama, I haven't really checked out anything directed by Nakamura so coming from something relatively tame as that compared to this show was slightly jarring at first. Even now I'm not sure what to think of it but I'm definitely interested in this show. I'm a big fan of things on the psychological side and this seems like an interesting take on the subject. There's definitely something ingenious about the quirky art direction.

Campione! 01
pmEFa.jpg

Me and my magical pony.
So this episode was intro of male lead, exposition, giant divine boar attacks!, more exposition, drunk female lead, sexy lingerie time, before more exposition and god brawl.
Not a terrible first episode, it wasn't straight up exposition with the action being action-y enough to keep me interested. I would also commend the show for having acceptable foreign languages for once instead of Engrish and Italainsh. The male lead also doesn't such terribly either, not complaining too much about fighting or near naked females. The whole concept of fighting gods sound pretty cool and works for the mythological nerd in me.

Also,
UNLIMITED GOLDEN BLADE WORKS.
Eat your heart out, Archer. Both of them.

that last one better be Moyashimon...

If Crunchyroll had been able to get Moyashimon, I would have expected them to announce it alongside Natsuyuki.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Episode 01

Pretty fun first episode. Totally forgot that Omigawa voices the main character. I don't have a particularly strong opinion on her voice but I like her as Judo Girl from Seitokai Yakuindomo at least and it seems rather fitting for this character. I've never been big on the whole maid fascination but this was pretty entertaining for the most part.

Soredemo is much less maid-centric than you would expect.

Trapeze Episode 01

Haha wow. I knew I had to expect something a little off the wall from the artwork I previewed before starting this but I don't think I was quite ready for this.

Besides tsuritama, I haven't really checked out anything directed by Nakamura so coming from something relatively tame as that compared to this show was slightly jarring at first. Even now I'm not sure what to think of it but I'm definitely interested in this show. I'm a big fan of things on the psychological side and this seems like an interesting take on the subject. There's definitely something ingenious about the quirky art direction.

Trapeze is pretty off-the-wall indeed, and also something that increasingly pulls you in the more you watch it. I hope you enjoy it; it's one of my personal favorites.

Articalys

Super Space Brothers 14

It might not feel so moon anymore, but we do have a nice eureka moment now. The new ending song is cool too.

A decent episode. I'm still impressed they're dealing with themes like the one present in Naoto's story in the first half, and I liked Mutta's analysis of everyone else in the second half.

Looks like an interesting episode next week as well.

Also, for anyone curious about the rocket featured in the new ED: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IIB

Campione! 01
pmEFa.jpg

Me and my magical pony.
So this episode was intro of male lead, exposition, giant divine boar attacks!, more exposition, drunk female lead, sexy lingerie time, before more exposition and god brawl.
Not a terrible first episode, it wasn't straight up exposition with the action being action-y enough to keep me interested. I would also commend the show for having acceptable foreign languages for once instead of Engrish and Italainsh. The male lead also doesn't such terribly either, not complaining too much about fighting or near naked females. The whole concept of fighting gods sound pretty cool and works for the mythological nerd in me.

Also,
UNLIMITED GOLDEN BLADE WORKS.
Eat your heart out, Archer. Both of them.

Campione! ep 1 Heretic Gods and the Godslayer Demon Lord!
tumblr_m6gopjcVZ31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Godou Kusanagi is a compelling main character, mainly, he seemed to be pretty willing to accept the new powers thrust upon him and come up with an epic flashy strategy there. I liked it, and will definitely rewatch it. These are the types of magic I like, flashy, and godly, and the antagonist seemed great. I think its visuals are definitely its strongest point while some of the er romance stuff is the weakest
the kiss(es) were awkward as was that bedroom scene

That blade there that he used that can cut through divinity and then when Godou used it and thousands of blades came out...mind blown!

Nothing more to add .. Campionne had a very good first episode ..action was alright , animation was also ok and i laughed at the druken part ... This show went easily into my "WILL FOLLOW UNTIL THE END" part of my personal list

survivor

Banned
Trapeze Episode 01

I love the art style of the show. At first before watching it, I thought it was stupid but after the first episode I fell in love. Trapeze is definitely my favourite Nakamura show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really, if you're pimping it enough, any show sharing any trait with Natsu no Arashi is some form of advertising!
So any show with a girl then?!

Really, even the first season of Maria+Holic had terrible yuri, if that's what you're getting at. It was only good on the strength of its comedy, hah.
The troll comedy only works for so long I guess. I didn't mind the first season, but the second season was just more of the same... and just not as funny or interesting.

my vpn says otherwise!

Gruier referred to Ironbeard as Gonzaemon in their little conversation so yes, he is indeed Marika's father.
Is your VPN free though?!

Huh, see. I couldn't even remember the dude's name. lol At least it makes sense why mom is working on that ship I suppose.

The Sacred Blacksmith 6
LJSON.jpg

Sucker punch!
This episode started off with a bang. Three demon sword wielding girls come to take away Aria. And Knight/Maid Cambell actually stands up to all three for awhile, but this wouldn't be The Sacred Blacksmith if they didn't have Luke show up to save poor Cecily with his game breaking katanas. In the end, it turns out the girls are with the illegitimate daughter of the emperor or something and now those girls are then made to live with Cecily, whom they tried to kill just earlier. Fun ensues. Well this was a much better episode than the last one was, and I kinda like the new character additions. Let's see how they effect the rest of the show.
TcvAa.jpg

Girls like to eat.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The troll comedy only works for so long I guess. I didn't mind the first season, but the second season was just more of the same... and just not as funny or interesting.

I swear, you people from the White Rose family...

tumblr_m5ffr78mff1qgafnno2_250.gif

I kid. :p

Jex

Requiem from the Darkness EP1

yYLFV.png

This turned out to be better than expected.

I had my doubts after the first 5 minutes
, thinking it had too much comedy for a horror anime, but I'm glad that I was proven wrong. It does look a bit cheap and that turned me off as well, but I think I can look past that, if continues like that.

I don't think it was particularly comedic, considering it started with a child being brutally murdered.

Makoto

Space Brothers 14

I came in expecting to be disappointed by the new OP and... that was the case. The imagery was much stronger in the first OP. The song used for the ED might grow on me, but again, I feel the first ED had better visuals.

Edit: About this week's episode,
I'm having trouble feeling sympathetic for Naoto. In that flashback, the guy would have left home without saying goodbye to his daughter had she not noticed him leaving. I mean, wtf, especially when you have no idea when you'll be back.

I'm excited about next week's episode.

Jex

Yeah, it's not much of a looker in terms of perceived production values, but the show accomplishes its overall tone quite well.

Eh, Requiem from Darkness is an extremely stylish and visually interesting show, so I will have to disagree.

Space Brothers 14

I came in expecting to be disappointed by the new OP and... that was the case. The imagery was much stronger in the first OP. The song used for the ED might grow on me, but again, I feel the first ED had better visuals.

If you expect to be disappointed, can that really be called disappointment? I agree that the first OP was stronger, but I do find the new OP's dance rather charming.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 02
S! M!
Lewd, amusing, not that bad. Not doing anything new, but gets some chuckles out of me. Not hating anyone really expect maybe that judo girl for having a shrill voice but even that only appeared later on in her part.

Makoto

If you expect to be disappointed, can that really be called disappointment? I agree that the first OP was stronger, but I do find the new OP's dance rather charming.
There was a tiny part of me that wanted my pessimism to be unfounded, so though I wasn't expecting complete disappointment, there was still a level of OP-am-disapoint. I'm of the opinion that the choreography for the dance is sort of slow and needs to be cut but I did like the final seconds of the dance between Mutta and Hibito, culminating into this shot. I also like the wigs that they had the supporting characters wear.

Dresden

More super duper short promos.

Sword Art Online
http://youtu.be/ow0Y4wfhuDo
Does give what might be the first appearance of the OP which doesn't sound bad. Also that wolf cut.
Has to be the most dramatic tutorial ever.
Joshiraku
http://youtu.be/gjUmRgmgq98
Sadly this just looks dull. Sure, the premise doesn't give it much room to actually do anything, but I'm still hopeful.

The manga was pretty dull from what I read of it, but I still have hopes that it'll turn out well.

Tanaka's designs are nice, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom