• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I don't know, dogs are pretty expensive. Some breeds more than others.

Quite.

Some species of canine require more lavish treatment in order to show the benefits of their love.

qKC38.jpg

Saint Seiya Omega 15
tumblr_m7do8kINP11ruq0c9o1_500.jpg

Well Yuna still remains pretty useless. Fortunately Haruto was awesome, as was Kouga, as usual
When his cosmos burned and he managed to deliver that devestating blow to Hydros Ichi, I was amazed. I thought he was going to lose because he was poisoned but he really took up his cosmos to a higher lever, nice.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
ave you seen Kannazuki no Miko?

I've heard of it and I've been going back and forth on whether I should bother with it. I don't know why, but I get Yami to Boshi vibes with that show, and I really don't feel like raging if the ending is just as bad as Yami's.

cajunator

Banned
I've heard of it but I've been going back and forth on whether I should bother with it. I don't know why, but I get Yami to Boshi vibes with that show, and I really don't feel like raging if the ending is just as bad as Yami's.

The show is pretty bad but it has mechas and yuri rape.
Yami is a lot to live up to though. There will never be another Yami and the world is sad for it.

e_i

K-ON! The Movie

Okay...I haven't watched it...that song at the beginning is F'ING METAL. POWER METAL! Learning from Sawa-chan, are we? Or Dragonforce?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The show is pretty bad but it has mechas and yuri rape.
Yami is a lot to live up to though. There will never be another Yami and the world is sad for it.

More like better off. I have never been so angry at an ending in my life. Just thinking about it makes me wanna cut someone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've heard of it and I've been going back and forth on whether I should bother with it. I don't know why, but I get Yami to Boshi vibes with that show, and I really don't feel like raging if the ending is just as bad as Yami's.

Just watch Stratos 4 already. :p

Or Sora no Woto.

K-ON! The Movie

Okay...I haven't watched it...that song at the beginning is F'ING METAL. POWER METAL! Learning from Sawa-chan, are we? Or Dragonforce?
DEATH DEVILUUUUU

Articalys

Almost forgot today's prelim results:
1st 263 Koromo Amae @ Saki
2nd 190 Yasuna Oribe @ Kill Me Baby
3rd 189 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
4th 177 Nako Oshimizu @ Hanasaku Iroha
5th 176 Eucliwood Hellscythe @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?
6th 141 Subaru Konoe @ Mayo Chiki!
7th 137 Yuno Gasai @ Future Diary
8th 132 Sora Takanashi @ Papa No Iukoto O Kikinasai!
9th 131 Rena Ryuuguu @ Higurashi When They Cry
10th 130 Minami Shimada @ Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
11th 126 Ayumu Nishizawa @ Hayate The Combat Butler
12th 124 Kanon Nakagawa @ The World God Only Knows

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
K-On the movie:

KOn_Movie_02.jpg

Airplane Mugi is watching you masturbate.

This was just lovely! :D I really enjoyed the movie and I'm not going to say much more because if I do I'll become a spoiler spoutin' machine. But it's K-On! And it is glorious! :D

What I will say that isn't a spoiler is that the production is top notch. The animation is great and the backgrounds are gorgeous.

KOn_Movie_09.jpg

One day I'll paint backgrounds this ni- okay I can't finish that with a straight face! ;_;

Love! 10/10!

Nafe

This is true. She can sing, but staying in character tends to be at odds with that. The movie version of "I am Sailor Moon" has her singing in a more natural voice, though. Oh yeah, Emi Shinohara is no slouch either.

Pretty much the main thing that hurts the Christmas albums is the really cheap production and anime interludes. Not every album can be like R Symphonic Poem disc, I guess.

Okay, yeah I'm actually not sure how many ost's and singles there are for sailor moon but I'm sure there's a wiki for that somewhere. I hear the musicals have a few songs unique to them so if there are any soundtracks for those then I have a lot of music I still haven't heard.

I like Kotono Mitsuishi's voice when doing Juri from Utena. I was quite surprised when I found out that Juri and Usagi were voiced by the same person. I still can't believe it really haha.

Haha, I'm more anti-hate than a big fan, really. She gets unfairly dumped on by most everyone and it's sad to see. Especially so when it comes to discussing Supers and usually you hear it "sucks because Chibiusa" when Chibiusa really wasn't what held that series back.

Okay I see. Well I see a lot of people talking about the english version and it's been long enough I only really remember one very minor change(not dealing with Chibiusa) so maybe there's some kind of change to her character I've forgotten about? Although even in AnimeGaf I see comments about people not liking child characters.

Indeed, it's almost like the inverse of Minako's representation as they ran out of things to do with her.

I've actually been thinking while watching Stars that Minako has been getting a lot of screen time, maybe to make up for the first series.

Minus a regression at the beginning of Supers.

Yeah, even in Stars she has her moments. I give her a pass, you know "teenagers".

Oh yeah, sometimes when the servers are acting up it'll send some people errors but not others.

Oh okay, thanks for that. Unknown Soldier mentioned some steam sale thread was really busy and had shut the site down once or maybe I though it was just some scheduled maintenance or something. It was down for 6+ hours for me.

cajunator

Banned
K-On the movie:

This was just lovely! :D I really enjoyed the movie and I'm not going to say much more because if I do I'll become a spoiler spoutin' machine. But it's K-On! And it is glorious! :D

What I will say that isn't a spoiler is that the production is top notch. The animation is great and the backgrounds are gorgeous.

Love! 10/10!

They should make the next K-on movie in Dubai :D

Princess Nine 1-9 - Princess Nine is a great shoujo girls' sports anime that I'd highly recommend. This may not be quite the best in the genre, but it's up there, certainly near the quality of shows such as Taisho Baseball Girls and the original season of Aim for the Ace. Once I've finished it I'll have to think about which one's the best show... but this is definitely a very, very good one. So yes, watch this. It's worth it. It's pretty easy to watch a bunch of episodes in a row, too. Did I also mention that it has a really good OP? Well, it does, it really does. Great soundtrack here!

As for negatives, I can really only think of one. Why do the girls have shorts with their uniforms? That's a softball design, not baseball. Baseball uniforms have pants, and their uniforms should have them too. And one of the most important points in the series is that these girls are going against the grain by playing baseball and not softball. It's kind of stupid that they have softball-like uniforms. Baseball uniforms are so much cooler looking... there's no classier-looking uniform in sports (um, except for maybe polo or something). Heck, early on when the school chairwoman announces to the (all male, skeptical) board that she was adding a girls' baseball team, one jerk guy (vice principal I think?) made comments about how he likes softball uniforms... then of course he was shocked when she said baseball, but um... the uniforms look like that anyway. Of course he and everyone else (apart from the great, and determined, chairwoman) want them to fail anyway, though. I guess the people making the series wanted to show off some of the girls' legs... but those are not baseball uniforms.

Anyway though, apart from that quibble, this show is great. It's got the expected mix of sports, challenge, and drama, and it balances them well. The main character, Ryo, is a genius pitcher who has an 81mph fastball, which apparently is really, really fast for a high school freshman, or at least everyone in the show sure thinks so. Of course though, since she's a baseball player and not softball, she never thought she'd play in school. She's planning on not going to high school at all until ms. chairwoman gives her a scholarship for various plot reasons (
her first love is Ryo's now dead father, who was a pro baseball player, and she can pitch like her father did
). Ryo decides to go for it after a bit of minor drama. She also acquires a love interest, a rich, talented baseball player guy who falls for her as soon as he sees how good she is. However the guy's childhood friend tennis star girl becomes her first rival...

So, with the star pitcher acquired, and two other girls on scholarships too, the group and their somewhat deadbeat coach (
an old teammate of Ryo's father
) set out to gather more teammates, which they do from episodes 5-7 or so. One of them's a second girl who wasn't planning to go to high school at all. Is that common in Japan, or something? That girl lives far from the school, so Ryo and Coach go to her town to convince her... but worthless Coach's too drunk to go, so Ryo takes a cross-country trip all alone. Yeah. Fortunately, it ends up okay. After that, it moves to a showdown between the two rival girls in eps 8-9. It's a tense confrontation, but I won't spoil how it goes. I like how it emphasizes how much work it is to get good at hitting -- hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things people have to regularly do in sports, after all. It takes a lot of work to get good at, and even the best players today will get out 65% of the time.

In conclusion, so far this show is very good. I will definitely be watching more of this, very soon.
Also, I've basically been looping the OP while writing this post. It's still good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDo8X4vRLrk

wonzo

Banned
SSO 15

Thankfully the pacing of the show between each of these ruins isn't really dragged out and gives ample time for character development. I can't really say all that much for the rather average animation however.

Narag

SSO 15

Thankfully the pacing of the show between each of these ruins isn't really dragged out and gives ample time for character development. I can't really say all that much for the rather average animation however.

Is the show turning out ok then? I keep telling myself I'll get caught back up and each week I put it off to the next.

cajunator

Banned
Princess Nine 1-9 - Princess Nine is a great shoujo girls' sports anime that I'd highly recommend. This may not be quite the best in the genre, but it's up there, certainly near the quality of shows such as Taisho Baseball Girls and the original season of Aim for the Ace. Once I've finished it I'll have to think about which one's the best show... but this is definitely a very, very good one. So yes, watch this. It's worth it. It's pretty easy to watch a bunch of episodes in a row, too. Did I also mention that it has a really good OP? Well, it does, it really does. Great soundtrack here!

As for negatives, I can really only think of one. Why do the girls have shorts with their uniforms? That's a softball design, not baseball. Baseball uniforms have pants, and their uniforms should have them too. And one of the most important points in the series is that these girls are going against the grain by playing baseball and not softball. It's kind of stupid that they have softball-like uniforms. Baseball uniforms are so much cooler looking... there's no classier-looking uniform in sports (um, except for maybe polo or something). Heck, early on when the school chairwoman announces to the (all male, skeptical) board that she was adding a girls' baseball team, one jerk guy (vice principal I think?) made comments about how he likes softball uniforms... then of course he was shocked when she said baseball, but um... the uniforms look like that anyway. Of course he and everyone else (apart from the great, and determined, chairwoman) want them to fail anyway, though. I guess the people making the series wanted to show off some of the girls' legs... but those are not baseball uniforms.

Anyway though, apart from that quibble, this show is great. It's got the expected mix of sports, challenge, and drama, and it balances them well. The main character, Ryo, is a genius pitcher who has an 81mph fastball, which apparently is really, really fast for a high school freshman, or at least everyone in the show sure thinks so. Of course though, since she's a baseball player and not softball, she never thought she'd play in school. She's planning on not going to high school at all until ms. chairwoman gives her a scholarship for various plot reasons (
her first love is Ryo's now dead father, who was a pro baseball player, and she can pitch like her father did
). Ryo decides to go for it after a bit of minor drama. She also acquires a love interest, a rich, talented baseball player guy who falls for her as soon as he sees how good she is. However the guy's childhood friend tennis star girl becomes her first rival...

So, with the star pitcher acquired, and two other girls on scholarships too, the group and their somewhat deadbeat coach (
an old teammate of Ryo's father
) set out to gather more teammates, which they do from episodes 5-7 or so. One of them's a second girl who wasn't planning to go to high school at all. Is that common in Japan, or something? After that, it moves to a showdown between the two rival girls in eps 8-9. It's a tense confrontation, but I won't spoil how it goes. I like how it emphasizes how much work it is to get good at hitting -- hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things people have to regularly do in sports, after all. It takes a lot of work to get good at, and even the best players today will get out 65% of the time.

In conclusion, so far this show is very good. I will definitely be watching more of this, very soon.
Also, I've basically been looping the OP while writing this post. It's still good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDo8X4vRLrk

Any show that compares favorably to Taisho Baseball Girls is a show I want to watch.
I dont like baseball much but that show was a joy to watch. Princess nine seems to have pretty good music too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom