• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega 15
qU8KD.jpg
Saint Seiya in a nutshell.

Hydra was an awful character thirty years ago and he's still an awful character now. He makes every episode he's in shit.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I haven't watched Stratos 4, but you probably would need some yuri goggles for Sora no Woto. It's an absolutely incredible series and was my favorite of 2010, but it's not that yuri... do watch it, though. I'm sure you'll manage to find something. :)

Yeah, probably. :)

I think you should watch Sora no Woto first since it's the better show, but oh well. :p

I would say you should watch Aria as well, but that's probably too normal for you. lol

Haha who knows, after Sora no Woto and Stratos 4 I may give it a shot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dakara H - Episodes 1-2

I can solve all your problems with my penis. My Kingdom!

Man this show has one of the laziest OP and ED I've ever seen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I vote we switch to Spanish!
That or making a copy of this thread only for 'hispanohablantes' would be secluding for many people but... what about 'Spanish Fridays' in here or something like that?
¿De qué hablaríamos? ¿Puro shounen?
Alright, time for me to finally watch some of these newfangled current animus everyone keeps going on about so go ahead and lay it on me bros. What's awful and what is slightly less awful this season?

So far my to-watch list consists of:

Yuru Yuri Season 2
Yuri no Lagrange Season 2
You could watch a good anime like Natsuyuki Rendezvous....

Princess Nine 2

There's such a bittersweet melancholy when Ryo and her mother reminisce about Ryo's father. Soooo good.
Yeah.

Hiroki Takasugi: smug asshole or dreamboat? I don't know yet!
I'm hoping it's some of both, but the show sure is focusing on the latter part of that isn't it.

coffee > tea
I dislike both of them.

K-On!! SP3
Yep, this seems like a pretty good prelude to the movie. Maybe I'll watch those stupid Ura-on!! shorts while I patiently wait.

fake edit: oh and i almost forgot the most important part:

mugi > ritsu = sawa-chan-sensei > nodoka > yui > jun > ui > brown azunyan > mio > azunyan
That list is wrong, Yui isn't in last place.

Okay, I tried my hand at this:

u06DB.jpg
Nice try, but the problem with this list is that it's pretty much already been filled in... too easy.

Early 2000's were a goldmine of anime for me.
I bought so much stuff.
Kino's Journey is in my top 5 all time favorites.

Also Tari Tari is really pleasant.
Good stuff.
Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei are two of my top three tv animes, along with Lain...

Tari tari intro.
Ah. Haven't decided whether I'll watch that one or not, yet.

Battle Athletes is quite enjoyable. The OVA was a kind of underrated gem IMO.
I haven't heard of it before, but it does sound decently interesting.

Well, it starts off hard-sci fi with the girls being meteor sweepers, which is the junior equivalent of comet blasters, who protect the earth from comets by literally blowing them apart, and leaving the meteor sweepers to clean it up on the ground. They aspire to become like the comet blasters. Its slice of life, but I was actually taken by surprise at first by the yuri. You'll see why if you watch it. It has a pretty awesome reason too.
That setup sounds a bit like Idolmaster Xenoglossia, though obviously apart from the intro "shooting rocks" plot it's clearly entirely, completely, different... (I did like Xenoglossia until it became a serious drama show, though.)

Impressive, Mugi's strong.

You sure you don't want to watch Kannazuki no Miko?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyPSzaT5x6A
Nobody should watch Kannazuki no Miko...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You're seriously trying to argue with the guy that somehow believes Souma has done more than Yuna when he hasn't won a fight since episode 2 and she has the most wins after Kouga?
Are we seriously gonna define character quality by who has won the most fights? I know this is a shounen and all but seriously?

trejo

Saint Seiya Omega 15

Saint Seiya in a nutshell.

Hydra was an awful character thirty years ago and he's still an awful character now. He makes every episode he's in shit.

Well, it doesn't help that he's probably had more screentime in Omega than in the entirety of the original franchise's run combined.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, it doesn't help that he's probably had more screentime in Omega than in the entirety of the original franchise's run combined.
Comic relief only ever works when said comic relief is funny. Case in point of another failed attempt at comic relief: Pen Pen in Eva.

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra English Pilot

Apparently TMS stitched together an English pilot from episodes 1 & 13 of the tv series with a bit of new animation mixed in in order to shop the show around in the US sometime in the 80s. Not yet explored the franchise itself but this dub & plot line didn't seem to do the show any favors. In this, Cobra leads the resistance against the nefarious Dark Side pirate clan who are running rampant across the Fourth Galaxy. Yeah, I don't care either. He was a nonstop quip machine with lines perfectly suitable for a saturday morning cartoon although this was a little more intense than such. What did get me excited for rest of the franchise (especially the tv series) was how beautiful the show was. God damn. I'll dig into it when I get around to my next set of shows.

3kpWEl.jpg

A11Jxl.jpg

Loved those backgrounds.
wvzcil.jpg

Really liked this shot too.

Comic relief only ever works when said comic relief is funny. Case in point of another failed attempt at comic relief: Pen Pen in Eva.

I think him in Omega is an interesting interpretation of the guy. Giving him a more sympathetic character rather than the asshat bully he used to be. It kind of makes me think of Baron Ashura's character in Shin Mazinger compared to old Mazinger. It's a different approach that I don't think is inherently bad.

7Th

Are we seriously gonna define character quality by who has won the most fights? I know this is a shounen and all but seriously?

I'm just arguing in his own terms, man. We all know that the true measure of a good character is the amount of sakuga scenes he or she gets.

I'm just arguing in his own terms, man. We all know that the true measure of a good character is the amount of sakuga scenes he or she gets.
I don't believe his standard is quite that high.

On an unrelated note: is anyone else not seeing cosmicblizzard's avatar? Must be on a different server from everyone else's on this page or something.

Narag

Hokuto no Ken: Legend of Heroes

2007 6 minute 3D CG short depicting Raoh and Kenshiro's final fight, it kinda sucks. On one hand, it's Hokuto and manly, on the other it has obnoxious "in your face" 3D moments, looks like an overwrought video game cutscene, and ultimately feels like some sort of proof of concept piece. Just because you can doesn't mean you should etc.

hRWeQl.jpg

MGSSOl.png

9eF2Cl.png

Yep, that's 3D gimmickry.

Saki pic drama 3

Eh, didn't like this one. Was kinda dull. Can't think of many mmos that can correlate with mahjong. Maybe some cardbased ones?
What, you don't like Touka? I thought it was an entertaining one... Touka does not take no for an answer. :)

Saki pic drama 4

K that was more fun. Love the captain's 'wahahaha~' reminds me of (almost) best girl of katawa shoujo.
Wahaha is great, yeah. Funny character.

Saki pic drama 5

Now that's what im talking about. 10min of yuri bliss.
That pretty much sums up that one, yeah.

Saki pic drama 6

haha, more antics. not as much yuri, but fun.
That episode might be the least yuri special, but might be the cutest...

Saki pic drama 7

More taco sex talk. weeee
That one might be the best of the specials... (more below too)

So Saki.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkksFfnX9D4cSjcV6InSr3EYlnuwt2XFL58UXUSc-mu7DlUTw5UA + http://i.minus.com/iU5nHJZYuNnPH.gif

if you know what you are getting into, than it is well worth the yuri, I mean ride.

10/10 yuris.
Yeah, it's a great series. What do you mean, if you know what you're getting into, though? You don't need to know everything about the series at the start to like it.

outfit.jpg

Weird lighting makes this outfit look a lot more risque than it probably is. Still pretty!
Huh? Weird lighting? No, it is the quite skimpy dress that it appears to be.

'Wahahaha~' is amazing. Also, MomoxKajiki for life.
Agreed on both points.

Edit: considering how that 'dress' is barely covering her chest I'd say its already ridiculously risque.
Covering? Actually, the dress itself (which is, of course, quite short too) doesn't cover her breasts at all; instead, it Vs below them, and goes around them on the sides. The breasts are only covered with that scarflike shirt tied in the center.

The two pieces may be attached underneath -- it looks like it's only got one shoulder strap per side, after all -- but it's clear that that'd be on the sides, so from the front at least what I described is how that dress has to work.

is it? the bottom is cloth from a different shot, or is it. i'm half colorblind, idk.

outfit2.jpg
Unless you can't see the difference between her skin color and the dress, how would being colorblind affect anything? If that is the case though, it's as I described above, basically an under-dress and over-scarf/shirt thing, with a large window of sorts in the center.

It looks a little bit better in that shot. But yeah, that outfit doesn't fit her character at all.
How does it not fit her character? You're right that she doesn't wear anything else quite as revealing, but consider that early in the first season Nodoka was completely fine with that maid uniform while Saki was embarrassed, and that she wears frilly stuff all the time (even if she complains about the term) in both Saki and her younger appearance in Achiga-hen. And that costume there certainly fits the frillyness aspect. Also consider her Nodocchi alter-ego's costume, which backs up all of those points.

As for the scantiness... well, it's summer, and so she's dressing down. People clearly are much less bothered by such things in the Sakiverse versus reality; also note those ridiculously scant summer costumes of Hajime's that make Nodoka's there look quite conservative... and nobody says a word about it, at least not from a "that exposes too much" standpoint.

So considering all of the above, Nodoka is the serious character who does not believe in superpowers or magic and blushes easily (when around Saki), but also likes dressing like how she does in the series when not in her school uniform. I don't think there's a conflict there really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom