• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon BW Rival Destinies 21

Og3L2.gif

Time to climb the Celestial Tower! Or play a bunch of minigames to reach the top of the tower.

An extremely fun episode. Always fun to have everyone basically goof around and do random stuff of the whim of a judge. I liked that it was even more outrageous than other episodes.

It's not really a ritual if you change it every time, though, is it?
Depends on if we are talking about something like a morning ritual or a magical ritual. Regardless, there is always going to at least be a slight divergence.
Everything that's repeated in the series gets changed up eventually, but only when it's important. That's how you know it's important.
I can see the value in that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Milky Holmes 12

A pretty good end.

That battle was pretty awesome, with it getting higher and higher in the ridiculousness.

I liked that boobs basically solved the problem. I'm ok with the ending if anything cause I guess that's how we can have an enjoyable season 2.
You should watch that Danny Choo show. One of the episodes has the Milky Holmes actresses flop around in London in their Milky Holmes outfits. :p

K-ON The Movie

I told myself I wouldn't cry...

This truly was the best movie about cute girls doing cute things, was visually very very pretty, and the culture and language barriers made for some great humor in this movie.

My only complaint is that they need to make another movie now, because my thirst for more K-ON can never be quenched. I hope they return again, One More Time.
This is not a :firehawk way to enjoy the franchise!
(We have Hyouka)

I haven't seen K-On!!. :p I like arguing from the point of view of having only seen the first season/cour/whatever.
Well, you can't really judge the entire franchise based on that then! Or at least you have to specify that you dislike season 1 (which arguably, you kind of don't need to watch anyway).

Nafe

That was a Rie Matsumoto episode. <3

Of the works Rie Matsumoto has worked on I'm only familiar with Saint Seiya Omega at the moment but I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing. Episode 3 is still one of my favorites and episode 10 had not only him but Umakoshi as animation director as well.

EDIT: I mean he worked with Umakoshi not that he was another animation director.

When I get around to checking out the other Precure shows I'll have to keep an eye out for his directing/storyboard work on the ones he was involved with.

Dammit, now I'm curious...

This always happens to me when I miss something in a thread. &#31169; &#12399; &#27671;&#12395;&#12394;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377;!

Of course, if you were more oldschool you might remember this:

room4_zpsb708beeb.jpeg

...or if you were TRULY oldschool, you'd remember my old encrypted text avatar from Sneakers.

...and if you were OG, you might remember various Sailor Mercury related avs.

I might have seen that first one or I missed all of those. Mercury though huh? Not Venus? I've actually got a Mars avatar lined up if I ever want to switch later and was looking through some Jupiter and Mercury artwork a couple days ago in case I ever wanted to just represent all the different inner senshi. We'll see, I'm sticking with Venus for now because I just got here.

Binbougami ga! 3
tumblr_m7fsolW0HF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Although the episode had a few rough spots, it felt like the best episode thus far. Honestly, it restored my faith in the series when I was just about to drop. Keita is an excellent addition to the cast and one whom I hope shows up in every episode. He had great scenes, excellent characterization and motivations, family focused, and just cool. His voice sounds like Natsuki (Tsuritama) or Yuuki (Kimi to Boku) so that made him even better.

Tittyko was terrible and at her lowest in the episode and awful and definitely deserves any misfortune
for if she hadnt gotten involved by trying to forcibly push her terribly moral notions on his family, then the whole event could have been avoided, especially since she caused him misfortune

I think Ill definitely stick with the series as it continues to halt its downward plunge to mediocrity and rise up spiraling towards enjoyment.

Joule

How broad does "slice of life" get? I was thinking of recommending Cross Game along with Taishou Yakyuu Musume, but I didn't know if Cross Game was too far into sports.

Also, if you haven't watched The Tatami Galaxy, please watch it. It's amazing.
It's as broad as it sounds I would think. Aria is about gondoliers on mars while Bartender is as it sounds about a Bartender and his episodic ventures with his patrons and their stories.

Tatami is pretty amazing. It takes some work to get to the finale but it was worth my time.

It doesn't hurt to recommend a more diverse range of slice of life shows, given Princess Jellyfish was mentioned, which is josei. Notables include Honey & Clover, Bunny Drop, Moyashimon, Genshiken, Kamichu, The Tatami Galaxy, Cross Game, Wandering Son, Minami-ke, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Sketchbook: Full Color's, Natsume Yuujinchou.
The previously mentioned 4 shows: Aria, Sora no Oto, Bamboo Blade and HidaSketch are all pretty diverse between themselves. It's definitely not a case of same 4 girl doing whatever shows (HidaSketch can fit the bill but I feel it grows to more than just that). Of course giving a larger pool of shows is best as with slice of life it can be broad and vague as to what you can find.

I'm just a bit miffed when slice of life is synonymous with girls doing frivolous activities, like the K-On craze of late has demonstrated. You'd forget that life has more to offer, like having affections for another, or dealing with the struggles of life, or simply playing everyday sports.
Even K-On after the first season became more than that though I can understand the fatigue of that association.

Dog Days 1+2:

I guess we're back in business. Both episodes had what I like about the series: sports day style jrpg war simulations (I'm really reminded of Yggdra Union when a new unit comes into play, they get their own style theme entry music). It's just a fun activity for each nation involved. Nanami and Rebbeca's addition to this season should open up even more fun battles along with the 3rd nation Pastillage and its squirrel princess.
Yggdra Union? Now that's not a comparison I'd thought of, but perhaps, I guess...

But yeah, the sheer cheerfulness of these first two episodes is so fantastic, I love the attitude (apart from that one bit).

Nanami's hero form is pretty cool I guess. Having a matching staff to Sink is logical since they share a similar athletic tendencies and abilities. Those skates feel so Nanoha.
Yeah, they really do. I said the same thing.

However I'm way more interested in Rebbeca and her broom (dat transformation was pretty out there though). It's probably because I finished reading Magico recently and despite it getting the axe leading to a abruptly made ending, I got pretty hype for Shion's broom themed magic. I could certainly go for some more of that.
That transformation sequence really was messed up, they shouldn't have done it like that... way too borderline-creepy. It's the one bad thing about the show so far. Rebecca herself, and chipmunk girl, seem like good additions to the cast for sure though. It is nice having some variety among the heroes.

I can only hope it remains fun throughout and hopefully if there is another dark/serious plot line, it gets done a lot better than the junk in the first season.
I agree 100% on this point. THe first season faded later on, thanks to the overdone harem antics and not-so-great serious plot elements (though the last episode was better, at least). I'm hoping that that doesn't happen again for sure. I do like the signs so far, it's so far a better show overall than the first episodes of season one, so here's hoping it keeps it up.

Dog Days bros:
2bAFa.gif
Flying together, in the name of cheery happiness and fun!

You should watch that Danny Choo show. One of the episodes has the Milky Holmes actresses flop around in London in their Milky Holmes outfits. :p
What Danny Choo show? I don't go to that website.

Milky Holmes 12

A pretty good end.

That battle was pretty awesome, with it getting higher and higher in the ridiculousness.

I liked that boobs basically solved the problem. I'm ok with the ending if anything cause I guess that's how we can have an enjoyable season 2.
There is an OVA episode in between the two seasons, remember. It's not the greatest episode of the series, but it's okay enough to watch for sure. And yeah, I thought that S1 ended quite well. Strong last couple of episodes, though of course the whole season before them was pretty good too.

With this, we're halfway through the first round of prelims, and Saki already has twelve characters qualified, with more likely on the way.
Saki deserves this popularity. It is interesting to see Ako do so well, though...

Is A Certain Magical Index worth watching?
No, but you'd probably like it anyway. At least in part. Maybe not the harem element.

He could just watch the OP to Kannazuki no Miko instead - aside from the fact that Resublimity is fabulous, it pretty much runs through the entire content of the show in 90 seconds anyway.
Hmm, yes, that could perhaps be a good compromise...

Yoshitoshi ABe is a swell fellow and a hell of an artist. I miss his work.
ABe is outstanding, anime needs him back. :(

Despera!

I'm not sure who did Kino's Journey either, but its one of those really unique shows that dared to be different and succeeded at it. Such a wonderful experience back when people didnt know what to expect from it.
Yeah, the show's quite unique, but that's what's so great about it. There are other shows that do some of what Kino's Journey does, but nothing else quite like it...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
K-ON The Movie

I told myself I wouldn't cry...

This truly was the best movie about cute girls doing cute things, was visually very very pretty, and the culture and language barriers made for some great humor in this movie.

My only complaint is that they need to make another movie now, because my thirst for more K-ON can never be quenched. I hope they return again, One More Time.

I feel the same way, brother bear.
It was the penultimate cute K-on girls doing cute K-on things movie and it very much satisfies the craving for more of the same stuff we watched in the TV series. Except longer and in even better quality. Really great. Would watch again.

GROUP HUG! *husg*

KyoAni, why are you so amazing? XD I need to ask my friend to visit the shop and tell me what's there.

Novid

Banned
KyoAni has no US backer unlike Studio 4C has. Thats where the industry is heading - because half their corprate brothers are there already.

cajunator

Banned
I might have seen that first one or I missed all of those. Mercury though huh? Not Venus? I've actually got a Mars avatar lined up if I ever want to switch later and was looking through some Jupiter and Mercury artwork a couple days ago in case I ever wanted to just represent all the different inner senshi. We'll see, I'm sticking with Venus for now because I just got here.

Feel free to stick with Venus for as long as you wish!

That really was something. I don't know what that something was but...it was something.

trejo

Binbougami ga 1-3

S'alright, I guess. Not as awesome as I was led to believe but Sakura's a huge bitch and is amusing enough to watch so I think I'll stick around a while longer.

And Hamauzu is cool and all but I just keep hearing March of the Dreadnoughts all the time while watching this.

GAF, the roomate and I are browsing Netflix, anyone know anything about Night Raid 1931? Any good?

By all accounts it's dull and boring. Based on the one episode I watched I'm inclined to agree.

Novid

Banned
Don't worry, KyoAni will make the Dragon Age 3 movie.

Bioware is a bunch of dudebros with no sense of how to end a story. They never even heard of KyoAni let alone anime. They need to go get one of those Florida based CGI folk to do a dragon age movie, i heard they work for pennies. Or better yet Titmouse New York, if there lucky; the fuckers.

NewFresh

Cipher (1989)

COQNU.jpg

Wow, this OVA begins with an amazing montage of a man walking around New York City longingly while they play mother fucking PHIL COLLINS! AGAINST ALL ODDS!

With that intro I was hooked, but then… Another montage! What more could I ask for? Wait…is this another montage? And another! And another!

What did I just walk into? What did I just watch? I think I might have found the most quintessentially 80’s anime to ever exist.

It’s essentially a series of montages put to popular 80’s songs, with a loose story wrapped around it. From what I gathered: Our MC is Siva (Shiva), a super popular model/ movie star who is dealing with his fame. He has been famous since he was a child, has a twin brother, Cipher, and their mother has passed away. The montages are intercut with “behind the scenes” interviews with Siva regarding his new movie, TV show, and personal life. But don’t be fooled by this simplicity, there is a twist at the end! By the way, this twist is spoiled by the ANN plot summary.

I almost feel like this should be added to “The list” due to one particular dance sequence…almost.

Dance Sequence gif here (4mb)

There was also a making of feature at after the OVA finished. The whole thing is done with a narration from Siva. Yes, the character from the OVA narrates the behind the scenes stuff in character. They talk about how the director had to watch many MANY music videos on MTV to get the feel right.

Here is the amazing track list:

Phil Collins “Against All Odds”
Deniece Williams “Let's Hear It for the Boy”
Kenny Loggings “Footloose”
Thompson Twins “Kamikaze”
Mescaline Drive “I Don’t Like”
Army Call Up Test “Living in the Dark”
(The final two I could not track down for the life of me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom