• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
just finished to watch Planetes, great stuff.

Niiiice. What a great series. I never hesitate to recommend it.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume is one personal favorite of mine, but I have questionable tastes in quality, or something, so take it with a grain of salt.

None needed. Taisho Baseball girls is one of those short series I enjoyed considerably.

I remember that O:

Awesome, I'll look those up.

EDIT: None of them are on Crunchy Roll :(

Check Netflix too. The problem is a lot of older series are discontinued, the anime licensor doors long since boarded up and closed. If you want to find a certain show we are happy to help you find it or point you in the right direction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be taken at face value. What you said made me think of it, so I couldn't help posting it. ;) That little speech was extremely exaggerating the point, the point being that things happen everyday that are worth telling stories about. Good fiction can take you out of the world without resorting to being, well, K-On!. K-On! doesn't need death and fucked up shit, it just needs something.
K-On!! has something. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine, but you can't erase meaning out of a show simply because you want to.

Andrew J.

K-on Movie

There were probably licensing issues, but I can't imagine that anyone that likes rock and roll would go to London without visiting the original Hard Rock Cafe location. That's literally my only complaint about the movie, though. Extremely high levels of both :cajun and :firehawk throughout.

Articalys

I can't recall seeing this kind of merchandising before: a scale model of the Radio Kaikan building as it appears in Steins;Gate.

zJScg.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Sora no oto is on Crunchy. It's Soranowoto there for some reason or other.

Fortunately the series cajun listed has more going for them than being cute.

There are a ton of shows Ive watched and would recommend for much more than being cute.
Cute leads me to the door, and the stories within are what makes me venture forward.
This isnt always the attracting detail, but so much anime has at least a tiny bit of cute in it that it seems to work for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Harry Potter anime movie
Uncharted anime movie
Artemis Fowl anime movie

Were my picks. Anime Harry and Draco would be cool to see, oh and Ron, if they could incorporate book 4-6.

Comment box I just asked for licenses of kimi boku, aquarion evol, and sekaiichi hatsukoi, as Ive been doing in every one of their surveys :( ...

Harry Potter would only be amazing if you got an insane budget for it. Dumbledore v Voldemort fight sequences with some money behind it?

Where do I insert my credit card into my computer?

Artemis Fowl I could see working easier in comparison.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora no oto is on Crunchy. It's Soranowoto there for some reason or other.

Select episodes of Aria are on youtube whenever Rightstuf decides to upload them. They're selling the DVDs first though.

cajunator

Banned
Using anime as escapism seems counterproductive
Anime just makes me hate people

This shouldnt be what your choice of entertainment does for you. Its supposed to be something that makes you enjoy life more. Find shows that make you feel this way and just avoid the other stuff. There will always be stuff thats shallow and substanceless. Let us collector geeks and cute seekers worry about supporting those.

Uchip

Banned
Everything makes you hate people, though.

not exactly
I appreciate things that have a lot of work put into them
artistic things

animations that prey on the weak minded and exploitative, unoriginal shit are the worst
can imagine the brainstorming process behind those creations

This shouldnt be what your choice of entertainment does for you. Its supposed to be something that makes you enjoy life more. Find shows that make you feel this way and just avoid the other stuff. There will always be stuff thats shallow and substanceless. Let us collector geeks and cute seekers worry about supporting those.

I do, that's why there was only 2 or 3 shows I am following each season
but sometimes they fall apart too

Joule

Select episodes of Aria are on youtube whenever Rightstuf decides to upload them. They're selling the DVDs first though.
Oh really? That's pretty cool. I need to get back to my own go at the show. I'm going slower than #gondolaspeed.

There are a ton of shows Ive watched and would recommend for much more than being cute.
Cute leads me to the door, and the stories within are what makes me venture forward.
This isnt always the attracting detail, but so much anime has at least a tiny bit of cute in it that it seems to work for me.
Oh I get that. I just didn't feel firemind's implication that those shows were just cute fluff and nothing else was accurate at all.

Taruranto

The stairs suck too, as pretty as they are. That scene is poorly implemented stock footage.

I disagree, i think the staircase sequence and Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku did a fantastic job in creating a ritualistic sequence. (which make sense since we are talking about duels) But eh, i guess it's one of those "you love it or you hate it" things.

4iuEc.jpg

IsgWL.jpg

Script covers on display.

I'm still surprised it's not all Saiba.

Milky Holmes 12

A pretty good end.

That battle was pretty awesome, with it getting higher and higher in the ridiculousness.

I liked that boobs basically solved the problem. I'm ok with the ending if anything cause I guess that's how we can have an enjoyable season 2.

cajunator

Banned
not exactly
artistic things

animations that prey on the weak minded and exploitative, unoriginal shit are the worst

People are not necessarily weak minded to enjoy shallow shows. they just want something the equivalent of junkfood for a quick fix. I spend much more time reminiscing about Planetes, Haibane Renmei, Kinos journey, and Twelve Kingdoms than I do about Lucky Star, Excel Saga, Medaka Box, that sort of thing. Those shows are fleeting interests. I have to be in silly moods to really get into them. The others with more depth I can revisit and get equal enjoyment out of it many times over. There is a good reason why shows with more depth take the top spaces in my rankings, no matter what I might say on this forum about the cute stuff.

Firemind

It doesn't hurt to recommend a more diverse range of slice of life shows, given Princess Jellyfish was mentioned, which is josei. Notables include Honey & Clover, Bunny Drop, Moyashimon, Genshiken, Kamichu, The Tatami Galaxy, Cross Game, Wandering Son, Minami-ke, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Sketchbook: Full Color's, Natsume Yuujinchou.

trejo

Man, if I had a quarter for every response I typed up in these threads only to hit the back button once I've given it a second thought I'd be several dollars richer right now.

And probably banned, too.

Uchip

Banned
People are not necessarily weak minded to enjoy shallow shows. they just want something the equivalent of junkfood for a quick fix. I spend much more time reminiscing about Planetes, Haibane Renmei, Kinos journey, and Twelve Kingdoms than I do about Lucky Star, Excel Saga, Medaka Box, that sort of thing. Those shows are fleeting interests. I have to be in silly moods to really get into them. The others with more depth I can revisit and get equal enjoyment out of it many times over. There is a good reason why shows with more depth take the top spaces in my rankings, no matter what I might say on this forum about the cute stuff.

good old 12 kingdoms
what ever happened to epic adventure anime

cajunator

Banned
It doesn't hurt to recommend a more diverse range of slice of life shows, given Princess Jellyfish was mentioned, which is josei. Notables include Honey & Clover, Bunny Drop, Moyashimon, Genshiken, Kamichu, The Tatami Galaxy, Cross Game, Wandering Son, Minami-ke, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Sketchbook: Full Color's, Natsume Yuujinchou.

I enjoy these sorts of shows too. I cant possibly think of every one of them.
Jex has a handy list of really good shit too so he can link you to it when he returns. Just ask.
This group of gaffers is crazy as a cooterbug but we will help you find the shows you seek.

OceanBlue

How broad does "slice of life" get? I was thinking of recommending Cross Game along with Taishou Yakyuu Musume, but I didn't know if Cross Game was too far into sports.

Also, if you haven't watched The Tatami Galaxy, please watch it. It's amazing.

Narag

Man, if I had a quarter for every response I typed up in these threads only to hit the back button once I've given it a second thought I'd be several dollars richer right now.

And probably banned, too.

Sometimes I hit preview and just stare at a post in quite contemplation.

If things get too deep I lose interest and get lost, appropriate depth is probably something along Fairy Tail.

Novid

Banned
not exactly
artistic things

they use lots of paper towels on the latter.

Thoraxes

K-ON The Movie

I told myself I wouldn't cry...

This truly was the best movie about cute girls doing cute things, was visually very very pretty, and the culture and language barriers made for some great humor in this movie.

My only complaint is that they need to make another movie now, because my thirst for more K-ON can never be quenched. I hope they return again, One More Time.

K-On!! has something. If you choose to ignore it, that's fine, but you can't erase meaning out of a show simply because you want to.
I haven't seen K-On!!. :p I like arguing from the point of view of having only seen the first season/cour/whatever.
I disagree, i think the staircase sequence and Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku did a fantastic job in creating a ritualistic sequence. (which make sense since we are talking about duels) But eh, i guess it's one of those "you love it or you hate it" things.
That's fine and all, but they could have at least changed it up a bit each time to suit the tone of the duel. Instead they kept showing the same damn thing. It would be better if they showed her warming up for the duel or something, of course that wouldn't work either because the duels are rigged.
Using anime as escapism seems counterproductive
Anime just makes me hate people
Anime just makes me hate otaku and the people who encourage them so fucking much.

cajunator

Banned
K-ON The Movie

This truly was the best movie about cute girls doing cute things, was visually very very pretty, and the culture and language barriers made for some great humor in this movie.

My only complaint is that they need to make another movie now, because my thirst for more K-ON can never be quenched. I hope they return again, One More Time.

I feel the same way, brother bear.
It was the penultimate cute K-on girls doing cute K-on things movie and it very much satisfies the craving for more of the same stuff we watched in the TV series. Except longer and in even better quality. Really great. Would watch again.

OceanBlue

Have you seen Soredemo? Watch Soredemo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGowNbTdIA8
Well, looks like another anime to add to my list. It seems interesting enough. Plus, Yuuki Aoi is in it.

K-ON The Movie

I can't wait until I have time to sit down and watch it. I'm so excited!

cajunator

Banned
Well, looks like another anime to add to my list. It seems interesting enough. Plus, Yuuki Aoi is in it.

I can't wait until I have time to sit down and watch it. I'm so excited!

Good stuff to be found in both of these.
Soredemo is classy Shaft, but it has moments of naughty cuteness as you'd expect. ITs silly and awesome. Gaf seems to love it too.

K-on movie, well you know what you're getting there.

Firemind

How broad does "slice of life" get? I was thinking of recommending Cross Game along with Taishou Yakyuu Musume, but I didn't know if Cross Game was more of a sports anime.

Also, if you haven't watched The Tatami Galaxy, please watch it. It's amazing.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume is about baseball too. Cross Game is part romance, part sports, part slice of life. A show can be a part of multiple genres while containing slice of life elements. Natsume Yuujinchou for example has a big focus on supernatural elements, but it's also about growing up and making friends. Azumanga Daioh is a comedy and contains talking cats, but it's also about growing up in a grounded reality (in so far Chiyo's persona is believable).

I'm just a bit miffed when slice of life is synonymous with girls doing frivolous activities, like the K-On craze of late has demonstrated. You'd forget that life has more to offer, like having affections for another, or dealing with the struggles of life, or simply playing everyday sports.

Uchip

Banned
Anime just makes me hate otaku and the people who encourage them so fucking much.

the addict and the dealer basically

but it also speaks volumes about humanity as a whole
like how the otaku would have been socially rejected by their peers to get to hikikomori status
well, that and their tough work-study culture

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I realized lately - good, Evil, good taste, bad taste, etc etc. The yin and yang of anime can be summarized by one choice in anime.

ku7B9.jpg

Team Noe unite.

Joule

Dog Days 1+2:
I guess we're back in business. Both episodes had what I like about the series: sports day style jrpg war simulations (I'm really reminded of Yggdra Union when a new unit comes into play, they get their own style theme entry music). It's just a fun activity for each nation involved. Nanami and Rebbeca's addition to this season should open up even more fun battles along with the 3rd nation Pastillage and its squirrel princess.

Nanami's hero form is pretty cool I guess. Having a matching staff to Sink is logical since they share a similar athletic tendencies and abilities. Those skates feel so Nanoha. However I'm way more interested in Rebbeca and her broom (dat transformation was pretty out there though). It's probably because I finished reading Magico recently and despite it getting the axe leading to a abruptly made ending, I got pretty hype for Shion's broom themed magic. I could certainly go for some more of that.

I can only hope it remains fun throughout and hopefully if there is another dark/serious plot line, it gets done a lot better than the junk in the first season.

Dog Days bros:
2bAFa.gif

Rinne s2 1+2:
ZdiBS.jpg
swqap.jpg

That's a nice a background.
And we off here too. I'm not expecting much out of the space intrigue between De Meterio and La Garite but they could end up surprising me. Madoka getting back on her feet and kissing some sense into Lan and Muginami are what I watch this show for. The action bits were pretty cool though. I liked how Vox Ignis had that energy cape going on. Like some Crossbone Gundam kinda swag.

Visually I guess the production is about the same although the ED is like rehash of the original. Musically... it's just not the same without try unite. The ED song pretty catchy though.

cajunator

Banned
Maaya Sakamoto is too awesome

Yes, she is. That song gives me an incredible feeling. Its such an exciting nostalgic song.

the addict and the dealer basically

but it also speaks volumes about humanity as a whole
like how the otaku would have been socially rejected by their peers to get to hikikomori status
well, that and their tough work-study culture

Otaku might own a lot of stuff, but they haven't necessarily lost touch with reality, unless they want to. Some of them have, but there are people like that everywhere.

Dog Days 1+2:

I guess we're back in business. Both episodes had what I like about the series: sports day style jrpg war simulations (I'm really reminded of Yggdra Union when a new unit comes into play, they get their own style theme entry music). It's just a fun activity for each nation involved. Nanami and Rebbeca's addition to this season should open up even more fun battles along with the 3rd nation Pastillage and its squirrel princess.

Nanami's hero form is pretty cool I guess. Having a matching staff to Sink is logical since they share a similar athletic tendencies and abilities. Those skates feel so Nanoha. However I'm way more interested in Rebbeca and her broom (dat transformation was pretty out there though). It's probably because I finished reading Magico recently and despite it getting the axe leading to a abruptly made ending, I got pretty hype for Shion's broom themed magic. I could certainly go for some more of that.

I can only hope it remains fun throughout and hopefully if there is another dark/serious plot line, it gets done a lot better than the junk in the first season.

Dog Days bros:
2bAFa.gif

Rinne s2 1+2:

And we off here too. I'm not expecting much out of the space intrigue between De Meterio and La Garite but they could end up surprising me. Madoka getting back on her feet and kissing some sense into Lan and Muginami are what I watch this show for. The action bits were pretty cool though. I liked how Vox Ignis had that energy cape going on. Like some Crossbone Gundam kinda swag.

Visually I guess the production is about the same although the ED is like rehash of the original. Musically... it's just not the same without try unite. The ED song pretty catchy though.

Dog Days and Rinne S2. Two great reasons for the season.
Dog Days moreso. Rinne looks pretty as ever though.

Oh ,and a little gift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8CO0_EwAE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom