• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Natsuyuki - Episode 2-3

NTR is painful. It's a hurtful thing. Dying is depressing. Not being able to move on sucks. So much suffering. It hurts. At first the ghost trolling was funny. Now it's just sad. Pretty emotionally stressful. Everyone needs hugs. :(

3pRqy.gif

;_;

SAO 3

The reaction suicide, made me say wow.

So far I find it solid but as mentioned some things miss and it feels ok overall when it can come together better. The snowfield exchange for example, it felt too random.

I told you dudes it'd be a mess.

Should've taken 20+ episodes for the first arc. It could've been done with 12 if they hadn't chosen to toss in all the post-volume-two side stories as well.

But aside from some episodes when they didn't do a good job , i still think they'll get the high parts of the story right ...

After 3 episodes i'm not complaining ..i just hope this ep3 will be used later for future events

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 17

I called it! Not even the notably poorer budget could stop me from enjoying this awesome episode.
The bit where Mutta thought that Serika got a green card was pretty funny, especially the goofy grin after shaking her hand.

Nafe

If you're making a good faith effort you shouldn't have to worry about too much. I understand it's not always clear but I don't want the thread to be either of the two extremes of unmarked spoiler free for all and total media blackout.

Yeah, I was just being nice. I'm just that way. I have noticed that if someone is a junior and is acting fine and they just happened to make a bit of a slip up, then a moderator will be nice and just give them a warning about whatever they did, instead of just banning them outright no questions asked unlike if maybe they were a full member.

I think I only ever recall personally seeing one junior getting banned because they were pretty much just acting like a jerk and only trying to antagonize or troll everyone. Unless they got lucky and were accepted right away,it seems like a big waste of time to me to wait all that time just to get your few snide remarks in then get banned.

Jarmel

Banned
Sword Art Online 3

iqSdyi1h7JBkf.gif

You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry,
You'd better not pout, I'm telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town.

Now as for this episode as a whole, some of the LN readers have been complaining that this was rushed. I haven't read the LN material but purely from an anime-only perspective, I thought this was handled fairly well. The show depicted not only how brutal this world can be(again thinking Dark Souls MMO) but also how it's bringing people together in a way. When put into life and death situations, I can see stronger bonds of friendship forming compared to everyday life. The friends that survive this, are probably going to be friends for life. That said, yes I didn't develop a real emotional link to the guild. That's fine though. The show so far has been focused on Kirito and his development and I think this episode did a fine job of that. Kirito as an individual is extremely flawed in that he expects the worst of people and so responds by being a horrible person himself. He has deep trust issues and the consequences for this in the episode was severe. He clearly fucked up and blames himself for it. This is where he separates himself from most protagonists like Haru where instead of swallowing himself in grief, he decides to be proactive about it and seek out a solution. That simple act in of itself stands out in stark contrast compared to the last episode in Accel World. Kirito isn't perfect by any means and I think this episode was more about showing Kirito's flaws rather than the guild in of itself. In fact, they're actually making Kirito out to be rather unsympathetic and I enjoy this aspect of the show. I'm hoping they develop his social skills over a period of time instead of it being like a lightswitch that flips on. He wants to be liked but is also afraid that he reveals his true self and true skills that he will be punished for it.

As for the time skips, that's fine as it's a MMO and MMOs can be really fucking boring at times. Let me emphasize that, really fucking boring. So if they want to play loose with time in order to progress the story, that's fine.

Rather disappointed in the fight scene animations and the music wasn't really noteworthy either.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So, uh, how hard would it be to get that damn giant tail through that itty bitty opening in the back of the dress so she can change?

If you really need to justify it. Tails are just bones really. Squirrels have long thin tapered bones for tails http://farm1.static.flickr.com/35/73038759_df0ea56fce.jpg

The body and the bulk of the tail comes from all the fur. So I guess all you'd need to do is flatten the fur out and you could probably squeeze it through any hole. That or her dress is two pieces consisting of a top and bottom.

EDIT: Sorta beaten.

sonicmj1

Revolutionary Girl Utena 28-29

I still think Juri is awesome.

These episodes were great. Ruka was an interesting character. As much as I hate the
"I love you but I'm no good/you don't trust me so I will make you hate me in order to help you."
trope, it kind of worked out in the end here, at least in terms of story. I really liked the duel in 29, where they intercut it with Juri's duel with Ruka.

It seems like the majority of girls in the school have nothing better to do with their time then watch hot boys do things.

I'm getting a little tired of Himemiya foreshadowing revelations. Get on with it!

Dog Days' 3

81BCQ.jpg

dem 3d shooters.

Rebecca is so hax. Those cards are like insta-kill in a can.
Yet Pastilage STILL comes in 3rd, lol.

Oi9FP.jpg

lol, dogs.

Good episode with some good pomf at the end. In anything else, I wouldn't much care for scenes like those, but in a world with a bunch of animal people that only want to cuddle and play fight, then it's awesome.

BjT11.jpg

Fuck yeah, toast!

I do wonder what the greater conflict is going to be this season. I mean I guess they could just abandon any semblance of an overarching plot and stick to the war games. I wouldn't be opposed to a relaxing kind of entertainment like that.

the real question is why its wagging like a dog tail

It's a loop from the OP. She's only wagging it once. You've never seen squirrels stop for a second, look around, and then just wag their tails once?

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie

Holy shit, why haven't I watched this sooner? Osamu Dezaki directed this amazing gem from 1982. It's like a perfect sci-fi adventure movie. God damn.

The story starts off with a bounty hunter named Jane Flower catching Cobra's eye as she turns in a bounty. He decide he's interested in a fling with her and introduces himself courtesy of the huge bounty on his head. As it turns out, she's in danger herself and looks to Cobra for help. He reluctantly agrees and quickly finds himself in over his head yet sees it through to the finish as a matter of principle.

The movie is beautiful and totally revels in motion. There's rarely any usage of stills as there's nearly always something going on onscreen be it wildlife in the sky, flowing clouds, or other weather effects. Computer screens are rife with moving images and effects animation abounds. Even shots of the background are often layered so a pan of the camera creates a parallax effect that gives the movie a great depth.

For fun, here's my first exposure to this movie, and in turn, Cobra itself: Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend video :lol Music aside, it has some nice clips from early on that gives one a feel for the movie in motion.

KwOmql.png

AyeOhl.jpg

These two shots were from the first 60 seconds of the movie. I was so in after that.

uSrtql.jpg

Loved this shot for the sense of scale and how it featured the protagonists.

oBYCdl.jpg

NCmMBl.jpg

Both foreground objects and reflection were prevalent in the movie. So much so I probably won't be surprised if I learn they're common in Dezaki's other work.

TN8dAl.jpg

WvzNJl.jpg

Wm9vrl.jpg

Jane had some introspective dreamlike scenes that looked like they fell out of a Sharon Apple concert. Upon further research, it turns out Koji Morimoto did key animation on the movie. He worked on the Dirty Pair Project Eden's classy as fuck OP and the Macross Plus concert scenes so I was left wondering if this was his work or, at the very least, it influenced him.

Milky Holmes II 02

This is true love here.

A pretty random episode. Things happening all so suddenly, like rapid fire. I was really amused by the sheer madness that the show was going on, with the chase scene, the sudden and very random use of their toys, the engrish. It was a very enjoyable episode at the very least.

mAcOdIn

This was addressed in Episode 2. Short jist of it:
Yeah stuff was changed, and it totally catches people off guard.
Hmm, then why the hell do they care if people were beta testers? Ah whatever. People are dumb so people doing something dumb's not out of the ordinary.
This thought actually crossed my mind too but I thought maybe I shouldn't ask.
Well, you never know when you might be asked to undress a squirrel girl so it could be handy knowledge.
Talking about an everyday thing that people take for granted and don't really think about like zippers reminds me about an article I read in Popular Science years ago.

It was about the opening tab on the top of soft drink/pop cans and I had no idea how much went into designing them and the different things they had to consider. Who knew it would be such an interesting read?
That actually does sound complicated.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 40

The moral of this episode is to always threaten a morbidly obese nerd with breaking their precious anime figure collection if you want them to get anything done. There was some nice Sakuga moments in this ep and it looks like the rest of the Phantom Troupe's finally getting introduced!

Why is it that I walk into a furry conversation every time I click on this thread these days?
hosoda happened

Hmm, then why the hell do they care if people were beta testers? Ah whatever. People are dumb so people doing something dumb's not out of the ordinary.
While some things have changed, others have not. If nothing else, they're more familiar with the game's basic mechanics and layout. Considering that 2000 people died while the beatahs were lonewolfing and lootwhoring it up, it's not really unreasonable for people to feel hostility towards them.

It's more of a problem with execution than concept.

Dresden

Holy shit, why haven't I watched this sooner? Osamu Dezaki directed this amazing gem from 1982. It's like a perfect sci-fi adventure movie. God damn.

The story starts off with a bounty hunter named Jane Flower catching Cobra's eye as she turns in a bounty. He decide he's interested in a fling with her and introduces himself courtesy of the huge bounty on his head. As it turns out, she's in danger herself and looks to Cobra for help. He reluctantly agrees and quickly finds himself in over his head yet sees it through to the finish as a matter of principle.

The movie is beautiful and totally revels in motion. There's rarely any usage of stills as there's nearly always something going on onscreen be it wildlife in the sky, flowing clouds, or other weather effects. Computer screens are rife with moving images and effects animation abounds. Even shots of the background are often layered so a pan of the camera creates a parallax effect that gives the movie a great depth.

For fun, here's my first exposure to this movie, and in turn, Cobra itself: Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend video :lol Music aside, it has some nice clips from early on that gives one a feel for the movie in motion.
Been meaning to watch Cobra for ages, but I think I'll just watch this movie for now. Sounds amazing.

Caesnd

Nice write-up.

I remember borrowing old VHS tapes of this and other series when I was a kid. Thanks to my cousins, despite being a 90s kid in Europe, I was exposed to the likes of Space Adventure Cobra, Macross, Starzinger, Silver Fang and even some Go Nagai works concurrently with the old Disneys, way before the more popular series I see people talk about here. Great times.

Space Bros 17

Wouldn't
Mutta knowing about the green cards kind of defeat the purpose? You would think it wouldn't be an accurate measure of how he deals with those kinds of situations. Though I guess it has lead to some interesting results with Serika's debacle.

Oh well, this show still puts a smile on my face.

Articalys

And the next anime from P.A. Works will be... Red Data Girl, an adaptation of the novel by Noriko Ogiwara, with original character design once again by Mel Kishida.

Official site

Story synopsis:
A modern fantasy based on Japanese Shinto legends. Suzuhara Izumiko is a 15-year-old girl, who has been raised and protected in a shrine deep in the Kumano mountains. She is quite shy and destroys all the electric devices she touches. When she begins to think about going out of the mountains and moving to the city, her guardian Sagara Yukimasa recommends her to enter a high school in Tokyo and forces his son Miyuki to serve Izumiko for life. Miyuki and Izumiko repel each other but their relationship begins to change when a terrifying accident occurs on the school excursion. Izumiko learns her fate as the last representative (yorishiro) of a Himegami goddess and Miyuki learns of his duty as a guardian Yamabushi of Izumiko.

wonzo

Banned
A modern fantasy based on Japanese Shinto legends. Suzuhara Izumiko is a 15-year-old girl, who has been raised and protected in a shrine deep in the Kumano mountains. She is quite shy and destroys all the electric devices she touches. When she begins to think about going out of the mountains and moving to the city, her guardian Sagara Yukimasa recommends her to enter a high school in Tokyo and forces his son Miyuki to serve Izumiko for life. Miyuki and Izumiko repel each other but their relationship begins to change when a terrifying accident occurs on the school excursion. Izumiko learns her fate as the last representative (yorishiro) of a Himegami goddess and Miyuki learns of his duty as a guardian Yamabushi of Izumiko.
sounds pretty bad

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 17

Wouldn't
Mutta knowing about the green cards kind of defeat the purpose? You would think it wouldn't be an accurate measure of how he deals with those kinds of situations. Though I guess it has lead to some interesting results with Serika's debacle.

Oh well, this show still puts a smile on my face.

The double bluff on the audience was cute. It was a nice way to twist dramatic irony so that you could have a
laugh at Mutta's expense.

As for everything else, the whole thing about the show is that everything he does is tied to luck somehow. Although I suppose they've totally forgotten/dropped that football thing that was referenced in the first episode by now.

The MC of Kokoro Connect is basically Shirou, except instead of wanting to be a hero of justice, he wants to be a jobber in pro wrestling. And he's even working on getting himself a harem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom