• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girls Bravo 9
oDohc.png

:D
What is this, a sad episode? I didn't sign up for this! Don't give up Lisa!

I will see this through to the bitter end. For all of its faults, the episodes end well and I'm dragged right back in!

That's good. Just don't want another Jman situation on my hands. Some people really seem to hate Symphogear. I love it, but I'm probably a minority. No idea.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's only three episodes in into a 26 episode series and you want an allegory already?
How long are you supposed to give a show though? I'm willing to forgive a premise pilot because that's just what you need to do to get people up to speed, but the last two episodes have been tonally dissonant with what is actually happening on screen. It wants to be brooding and self-serious and Kirito is trying to do his best Bale impression, but the story surrounding that character just doesn't support it.

The flip side is something awfully similar that is airing this season like Tanken Driland, which is also about a group of characters finding each other to form an RPG party in order to stop some unspeakable evil. The characters and the story is simple, but it's not trying to aim for more than just a simple "I'm a princess but I want to be a hunter!" story (which I suppose with Brave and Game of Thrones out, has become a popular trope of late). The doesn't ask a lot of me in terms of believing in the stakes of the world, and I'm perfectly fine with just watching a pleasant kid-friendly Monster Hunter-inspired story play out without questioning it too much.

There's nothing wrong with doing a "nerd saves the world" story. I have no problem with how Wargames plays out - anti-social and impossibly rich kid gets caught up in something bigger than he expected and is the only one who can save the world from thermonuclear war (and he gets a girlfriend to boot). And hey, if this was just a simple wishfulfillment story like that or The Last Starfighter or even Star Wars, that'd be fine with me. But SAO is telling me to believe that it is more important than that and it simply isn't. Although I suppose it helps that most nerd stories are about breaking free of the confines of their world, not regressing into a video game where they are encouraged to celebrate their insularity.

Going by the LN spoilers in here so far, I don't think the show did itself any favors forcing short story adaptations into such a small amount of time they can only hit the "important" parts nor did losing Kirito as a narrator. Sure, we can infer things about why new players hate the beta testers or why Kirito hides his level but it seems like an unnecessary exercise for something that should be presented properly to begin with. I like the show but I can't deny there's a sense of wondering why I should care about the characters either.
Except for Klein. He's a bro.
I suppose that's the other thing, even if you just want to watch this on the level of some guy who wants to watch some other guy bang some girls and fight some monsters, it's not really that entertaining. At the very least, I shouldn't laugh at the moments the show wants me to cry (or at least feel sad).

Are you going to watch this whole show just so you can rage over it?
I may abandon my #hatewatch, because watching the show isn't even making me angry anymore. It's like when a liberal gives up on hating Glenn Beck because he's so crazy that he becomes a parody of himself.

Defuser

Sword Art Online 3
Wow, they're sure are timeskipping alot in this. Unfortunately 1 episode isn't enough for me to feel the relationship between Sachi and Kirito, it's too rush, should have been 2 episodes, and this is coming from only anime watcher like me. The guy is dumb
to take his own life even if his whole guild is dead.

Branduil

Jarmel

Banned
How long are you supposed to give a show though? I'm willing to forgive a premise pilot because that's just what you need to do to get people up to speed, but the last two episodes have been tonally dissonant with what is actually happening on screen. It wants to be brooding and self-serious and Kirito is trying to do his best Bale impression, but the story surrounding that character just doesn't support it.

The flip side is something awfully similar that is airing this season like Tanken Driland, which is also about a group of characters finding each other to form an RPG party in order to stop some unspeakable evil. The characters and the story is simple, but it's not trying to aim for more than just a simple "I'm a princess but I want to be a hunter!" story (which I suppose with Brave and Game of Thrones out, has become a popular trope of late). The doesn't ask a lot of me in terms of believing in the stakes of the world, and I'm perfectly fine with just watching a pleasant kid-friendly Monster Hunter-inspired story play out without questioning it too much.

There's nothing wrong with doing a "nerd saves the world" story. I have no problem with how Wargames plays out - anti-social and impossibly rich kid gets caught up in something bigger than he expected and is the only one who can save the world from thermonuclear war (and he gets a girlfriend to boot). And hey, if this was just a simple wishfulfillment story like that or The Last Starfighter or even Star Wars, that'd be fine with me. But SAO is telling me to believe that it is more important than that and it simply isn't. Although I suppose it helps that most nerd stories are about breaking free of the confines of their world, not regressing into a video game where they are encouraged to celebrate their insularity.

Quite frankly I never expected(or expect) this show to have some deep lesson or morality behind it ala Fate/Zero but even then, the show is still in the world building phase. I've always viewed it as a fantasy story with a MMO twist on it. If they do have some sort of moral component to it, it probably will be down the line and near the end. The show is still trying to flesh out the universe as a whole and episodes like this that demonstrate how dangerous this game is, is somewhat necessary especially because of how skilled the main character is. The show as a whole is relatively light hearted however it does have a darker undertone to it. I really don't think this work could be classified as a tragedy but rather action-adventure with a darker undertone to it.

Dresden

sword art online - 03

expected the worse going in, but this was a pretty good episode. :p too bad firehawk will never get past the 'it's a game!!!' premise.

i mainly like SAO for the mmo aspects and the show does a pretty good job of contextualizing the mechanics within the show without the narration from the books explaining everything. but then, i know what they are so maybe they just make more sense for me.

• I still get excited whenever they show the UI. shit is swag
    guiqTl.jpg

episode two is made all the more glaringly bad by this, though. the omissions made in that episode fail to ground some of what happens here while making some of the other events all the more implausible. the lack of development for the nakamas means that kirito's grief doesn't mean anything past the shallowness of the loner-hero persona. and you know what the worst thing is? the writing is just gong to get worse from here.

i guess i'll still keep up with the show, for now.

• Because even a show like this has some humor now and then.
    teiBKl.jpg

It has great art though. I'm really happy I got my Casshern and Friender sketch from AnimeExpo. I should probably get it framed down the road.

Oh yeah it's beautiful.

Anywho SAO right now feels like trainwreck flavor of the season to watch.

I still wonder if dead players drop any loot.

Nah man they punk out and get all pixelated and leave nothing . Oh man I'll applaud SAO if there's an ep about a graverobber player.

Kagami

I felt lied to. I watched the first episode of RKB because of that post, and it wasn't anywhere near as scandalous as that. They were even wearing shorts underneath it all!
Trust me, it's a good show, even if Hito overhyped some aspects of it.
All five girls are quite lovable, and the protagonist is amusing without getting in the way.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The worst part of SAO 3 isn't even the plot stuff, I've killed all my expectations with ep 2.

It was that we didn't even get to see Kirito fight the Santa clause mob.

If you're not going to have plot, or PLOT, at least have action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quite frankly I never expected(or expect) this show to have some deep lesson or morality behind it ala Fate/Zero but even then, the show is still in the world building phase. I've always viewed it as a fantasy story with a MMO twist on it. If they do have some sort of moral component to it, it probably will be down the line and near the end. The show is still trying to flesh out the universe as a whole and episodes like this that demonstrate how dangerous this game is, is somewhat necessary especially because of how skilled the main character is. The show as a whole is relatively light hearted however it does have a darker undertone to it. I really don't think this work could be classified as a tragedy but rather action-adventure with a darker undertone to it.

The first episode opens with a guy who hates life wanting to escape into a video game. He ends that episode by deciding to go full loner, because he thinks other people are a burden.
Then in the second episode, be pulls the Lelouch/Dr. Manhattan/Batman gambit and becomes the hero that they deserve, just not the one they need right now.
Then in the third episode,
this is all justified by a convenient speech from a dead girl that tells him it's perfectly fine to do what he's been doing because it somehow gave her hope.

It just feels like as if someone decided to make a harem anime out of Katawa Shoujo but decided to skip the entire premise of the girls with disabilities and focus on accidental boob grabs and crotch falls (and whatever else happens in your standard harem anime) instead.

Trust me, it's a good show, even if Hito overhyped some aspects of it.
All five girls are quite lovable, and the protagonist is amusing without getting in the way.
It's a feminist show that supports the continuation of the WNBA!
(Might as well go for the hard sell :p)

Pooya

Sword Art Online 3

Kirito needs some hugs. really liking it so far. The emotional impact they were going for could have been better executed if this was longer than a episode. it felt like fast forward but still pretty good episode overall.

not liking the monster designs so far, very bleh

Dresden

The only reason the black cats/Sachi exists is because Real Characters have Vulnerabilities and Character Building Moments that are driven by Tragedy. :p

doesn't kirito feel all plausible and human and totally not a gary stu/self insert???

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only reason the black cats/Sachi exists is because Real Characters have Vulnerabilities and Character Building Moments that are driven by Tragedy. :p

doesn't kirito feel all plausible and human and totally not a gary stu/self insert???
You've convinced me. #EmmyWatch

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Humanity Has Declined 2

Greatest picture book ever? It must be.
You couldn't pay me to believe this was done by the Angel Beats/Persona 4 guy, because actual laughter was elicited and actual enjoyment had.
Have you ever considered the possibility that Angel Beats might simply be too deep for you?
I'm sorry.

Just finished Monster, finally... My conclusion is, it was not that good. Pretty mediocre plot and characters, but what can you expect when the whole series is about 1 man. I'm giving it a 7/10 on MAL.

OceanBlue

Humanity Has Declined 2

You couldn't pay me to believe this was done by the Angel Beats/Persona 4 guy, because actual laughter was elicited and actual enjoyment had.
He also did Tentai Senshi Sunred and Seto no Hanayome.

Just finished Monster, finally... My conclusion is, it was not that good. Pretty mediocre plot and characters, but what can you expect when the whole series is about 1 man. I'm giving it a 7/10 on MAL.
Personally, I think people overhyped me on Monster. I went in expecting a masterpiece and it was really just pretty good. I can understand the love if you're bothered by a lot of common tropes in anime on principle, but it didn't feel exceptional to me like Tatami Galaxy did. Maybe it just wasn't my type of show. Well anyway, you're not the only one who wasn't completely impressed by Monster, even if everyone I talk to says it's amazing.

Edit: I do admit to having a poor sense of quality though...

Personally, I think people overhyped me on Monster. I went in expecting a masterpiece and it was really just pretty good. I can understand the love if you're bothered by a lot of common tropes in anime by principle, but it didn't feel exceptional to me like Tatami Galaxy did. Maybe it just wasn't my type of show. Well anyway, you're not the only one who wasn't completely impressed by Monster, even if everyone I talk to says it's amazing.

Ive some questions but they involve minor spoilers:

I was especially annoyed at the
same panic attacks the sister of Johan was getting al the time when she was confronted with her past.

And I still don't understand why Tenma
confessed he committed the murders and went to prison. He couldnt know something like that would happen and escape

OceanBlue

Ive some questions but they involve minor spoilers:

I was especially annoyed at the
same panic attacks the sister of Johan was getting al the time when she was confronted with her past.

And I still don't understand why Tenma
confessed he committed the murders and went to prison. He couldnt know something like that would happen and escape

I don't remember. I'd probably have to rewatch the show, or at least find the episode.

Defuser

Kokoro Connect ep 3
Taichi being clueless all the time and always the self sacrificing helpful guy...yup ...all this points to a harem anime! All hail Taichi! Matters aside, this show is shaping to up to be a solid title of the season. Haven't seen a much a slice of life anime that deals with serious issues.

Edit:
I can't get enough of that Euphonious OP.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Humanity Has Declined 2

But the show falls apart past the second episode.

Kokoro Connect ep 3
Taichi being clueless all the time and always the self sacrificing helpful guy...yup ...all this points to a harem anime! All hail Taichi!

I'm guessing we'll get an angsty love pentagon with the red head ending up with the friend, and Iori heartbroken when Taichi chooses Inaba.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1:
Rapist stalker + Florist Widow + Troll ghost = ???

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 2:

= all these feels why can't I hold onto them

wonzo

Banned
Tanken Driland 1

Well, it looks like dropping Sword Art Online for this was the right choice to make as I found this to be pretty entertaining. I guess the lack of absolutely awful writing or pacing played a big deal in that.

Don't do it wonzo!
it can't be helped. my fate is sealed

But Infinite Stratos doesn't have elementary school girl shower scenes.

Somehow Darkside inspired me to watch episode 1 of Ro-Kyu-Bu, and yeah.....
welp, this already sounds far worse than infinite stratos ever was

Oh my god, it's all my fault. I compared RKB to IS.
look, look at what you've done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom