• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Didn't they say beta testers have never gotten past floor <insert low number> in the previous episode? How would he know the fastest leveling routes on floors 20+ just because he's a beta tester? Maybe he's just good at the game? Even if he's a beta tester, so what? I'd be ecstatic if there was a guy double my level joining my guild. If Kirito's truly afraid of being judged, why would they need to know his level to be convinced? They show Kirito's a badass. I'm sure they would have believed him if he had told them he solo'd the dungeon before and maybe that they're not badass enough to survive the trap. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it at all.

Sad fact is, they probably would have accepted him for what he was. The novel is very insistent that his perpetual lying to them is essentially what got them all killed.

I also think the novel emphasized death a lot better than the anime handled it. Kirito's narration puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that the ten seconds between when you die in the game and when your brain is fried must be painful and scary as shit. The anime just didn't have that same feeling. Too much timeskipping because they followed the word of the novel too much.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, uh, how hard would it be to get that damn giant tail through that itty bitty opening in the back of the dress so she can change?
It's all fur. Have you ever had a hamster? They look much larger than they are but they're really just balls of poof. Their actual bodies are tiny, and can squeeze through extremely small spaces.

mAcOdIn

Um, I said there's no zipper...
Should've quoted you and Firehawk.
It's all fur. Have you ever had a hamster? They look much larger than they are but they're really just balls of poof. Their actual bodies are tiny, and can squeeze through extremely small spaces.
Well sure, but then what are you doing? Tying the tail down with a rubber band? I always fiqured a squirrel's tail was larger. I mean, I had a Pomeranian once and yeah, she was literally 1/6th the size of what she looked like but I don't exactly have any experience with squirrels outside of watching them. Too cracked out for me to try and catch one as a kid, they had more energy than I did.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO LN explanation
The problem is that Kirito felt that had he revealed his level or such, he would've been treated like an outcast and bet left out and people would mistreat him. It was bad enough that he was a beater but to be known as a Clearer and hanging out with a low level guild would've made both him and the guild bad. He could've easily told the guild in that dungeon that there are traps and they shouldn't do anything but the moment he did he was afraid that their relationship would change. However, he didn't anticipate the entire guild basically being wiped out. What you said is true but it's his crappy social skills in combination with how the game has changed people that the episode is trying to exemplify in Kirito's character and development.

Uchip

Banned
eYrzE.gif

zvq9G.gif

Me.

where can i purchase one?

Sophia

I am still annoyed that the song from the end of the SAO sidestory was removed. What was the point of hiring Saori Hayami if you're not going to actually sing it? ><;

mAcOdIn

What I don't get about SAO, and no I don't plan on watching it, is
is there even any reason to assume that things are the same from the beta? Since you're dealing with an out of control MMO there's really no guarantee that at launch the position of some traps weren't moved, enemy strength and weaknesses weren't rebalanced, shit like that. I can imagine trying to breeze through the game like the beta would be a sure fire ticket to death all the same. I sure as hell would have made some favorite grinding spot in the Beta a fucking bloodbath with crazy strong monsters. Way I see it, only way to be safe is to take as little from the beta as possible moving forward.

Sophia

What I don't get about SAO, and no I don't plan on watching it, is
is there even any reason to assume that things are the same from the beta? Since you're dealing with an out of control MMO there's really no guarantee that at launch the position of some traps weren't moved, enemy strength and weaknesses weren't rebalanced, shit like that. I can imagine trying to breeze through the game like the beta would be a sure fire ticket to death all the same. I sure as hell would have made some favorite grinding spot in the Beta a fucking bloodbath with crazy strong monsters. Way I see it, only way to be safe is to take as little from the beta as possible moving forward.

This was addressed in Episode 2. Short jist of it:
Yeah stuff was changed, and it totally catches people off guard.

Sword Art Online 3

ACIkt.jpg

Why are you asking that like it isn't a common human mindset?

The hell was with the skipping around? I don't know if it was the same in the LNs, but this is just way too fast-paced. There was clearly plenty of character interactions happening off-screen as made apparent by the way Klein acted toward Kirito or Sachi's entire character (really, that whole guild). Really unsatisfying developments when you don't actually see the developments.

Still liking the general plot and the action though, but I'm a bit worried the show will continue to not properly flesh out the characters before stuff happens to them.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 17

Once upon a time, men would subjugate celestial maidens to be their wife by stealing their celestial robes, sinful single mothers would be punished by having their babies kidnapped by eagles and mentally unstable monks would wander from temple to temple asking priests almost completely incomprehensible questions to seek enlightenment.

Nafe

Haha, I thought Marrshu was firehawk12 for a second and he had switched to an old avatar.

This weeks episode of Dog Days'

Just wanted to say a quicks thanks for telling me. :)

Hi there, I'm new to AnimeGAF and before I make any mistakes right off the bat, I was wondering what the rule for spoilers is? Looking forward to discussing the good
and bad
shows with everyone!

Nice to meet you, I'm actually new here myself. Sort of anyway, long time reader, recent poster.

Pretty much what was stated regarding spoilers. Not that I'd recommend getting banned at any time but in case you didn't know, if you get banned as a junior it's permanent. So if you have even the slightest doubt you should probably but it under spoiler bars.

Out of Sight

Best thing, it's available on their website: http://evaty.main.jp/oos/e_film.html

Now no one has an excuse not to watch it.

Neat! Thanks as always! I have no idea where you and Narag are finding all these but I'm finding it really interesting.

So, uh, how hard would it be to get that damn giant tail through that itty bitty opening in the back of the dress so she can change?

This thought actually crossed my mind too but I thought maybe I shouldn't ask.

I'm not really familiar with the relevant taxonomy, but tail size is usually the key distinction in how squirrels and chipmunks are represented in this context.

Ok, so it's really just the characters tails are so bushy is what people are referring to.

Yeah, frequently it's like the front of pants, but with a hole instead of a zipper.

Yeah I kind of figured it was sort of like how when you wear a baseball cap with a ponytail.

That said, a zipper near hair sounds shitty, buttons would be better. Has Dog Days even showed a piece of clothing with a zipper? I don't believe they have zipper technology.

Talking about an everyday thing that people take for granted and don't really think about like zippers reminds me about an article I read in Popular Science years ago.

It was about the opening tab on the top of soft drink/pop cans and I had no idea how much went into designing them and the different things they had to consider. Who knew it would be such an interesting read?

I remember seeing a rabbit squeeze through one of the holes in a chain link fence once. Haha, that just blew me away. I thought I had just seen a magic trick or something.

Sophia

Sword Art Online 3

The hell was with the skipping around? I don't know if it was the same in the LNs, but this is just way too fast-paced. There was clearly plenty of character interactions happening off-screen as made apparent by the way Klein acted toward Kirito or Sachi's entire character (really, that whole guild). Really unsatisfying developments when you don't actually see the developments.

Still liking the general plot and the action though, but I'm a bit worried the show will continue to not properly flesh out the characters before stuff happens to them.

The novel is narrated in first person. The anime decided that, instead of expanding on the events to cover the now non-existant narrator (i.e. WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO FUCKING DO WHEN ADAPTING SOMETHING FOR ANOTHER MEDIUM), they'll just follow the word of the narration anyhow.

To put it mildly, it's jarring and awkward, and doesn't give me hope for future episodes.

Arcticfox

Sword Art Online 3

I have read the LN`s so I knew what to expect. While this story would have been better off being two episodes, I still enjoyed it. My only real issue with the episode was the quick tone changes.
The cut from a friend being killed to a happy Christmas scene with music playing in the background felt too jarring. The ending also lost some of its impact when the ED popped up. They would have been better off skipping the ED for this episode.
I guess that is just a side effect of trying to squeeze too much into 20 minutes.

Also, it might just be my new headphones but the sound was excellent throughout the episode. From the ambient noise in the town and the knock on the door to the sound of snow crunching underfoot, everything sounded great. I was more immersed in the fake world created in this episode than the real world represented in many other anime.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PoyoPoyo 29
No comments about today's episode so have some doujin.

Space Brothers 17

This show is the uplifting show everyone needs after the NTR pain of Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Accel World. So good.

Nevertheless, HOLY FUCK the animation budget went down a lot. It looked awful.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 36
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nurse.

Prince Lohengramm's descent into dickwadness is painful for me to watch. He used to be this cool dude that took no nonsense and doesn't afraid of anything. Now he's plotting to use kids and stuff and doesn't care about death.
:(

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 37
Actually, Prince Lohengramm was right.
Get rid of the kid stat.

NewFresh

where can i purchase one?

http://www.kigu.co.uk/shop/tails/squirrel-tail.html

Out of Sight

A colorful, short and sweet animated video made for a delightful night watch. Thanks to EmmanuelMunoz for the out-of-the-blue recommendation.

Best thing about shorts is that people are less hesitant to watch them. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you realize
she was blind right away?

Neat! Thanks as always! I have no idea where you and Narag are finding all these but I'm finding it really interesting.

Honestly I just browse around online, Wikipedia and ANN mostly, until I find something that seems interesting. I do watch other things that I don't post about, but the stuff I do are things I want to bring attention to.

survivor

Banned
Out of Sight

A colorful, short and sweet animated video made for a delightful night watch. Thanks to EmmanuelMunoz for the out-of-the-blue recommendation.
I remember watching this few months ago. Really loved the way they animated it to show
how a blind person sees the world

Heroman 22 - 26 (end)
tumblr_ll8sxoNT4i1qiiv47o1_500.gif

Pretty awesome final arc. It definitely returned the series back to the high intense action of the first arc with Skrugg and Kotorr, but took it up a a notch and litrally pulled out all the stops. It was almost as if they read my mind on what I want from anime and for the series there
Joey litrally became a Heroman for a second there, thats the ultimate thing any hero character in such an series can become, a dream come true even. Becoming your attack is litrally the transcendental idea any character can attain. Heroman unleashed a powerful stunning attack that was litrally out of this world, that shield blast and lasers through Kotorr, it blew him all the way out to space even! Other characters even had good moments this arc, Holly and Lina with the emotional and moral support, even Psy too was all nice. For non final boss enemies, that plant of unknown substance that twisted, turned, and shot lasers is probably my favorite enemy type compared to Kotorr because of the intense scenes it gave, even for Keisha and the helicopter the NIA/military, and even Joey.
I don't think there was nothing not enjoyable or cool about this at all.

Heroman excelled in virtually all aspects. The epic action was greatly complemented by competant and cool characters, and abilities that never failed to impress. Joey and Psy were by and far the best characters, followed by Kotorr (great personality and lines). Everyone else was pretty standard, with probably Holly and Lina bringing up the rear for really making dumb decisions and being in the way, but were great for moral support. Honorable mention to Dr. Minami and crew for being entertaining.

The evolution of the powers and how they related to Joey's changes and development as a character through his bonds with others felt unique and kept things interesting. The lenghty scenes of getting into the Heroman mode as well as seeing how it slightly changed over time, the new abilities Joey earned, as well as utilizing new strategies was pretty well done for anime. I always got pumped up when he did it and found myself getting into it and trying to emulate him whenever he said "Heroman attack" etc, it was fun. I liked how he would touch the device and spin it, too, nice touch. I personally wouldn't mind for even more Heroman.

9 / 10 for Heroman. The decision for a low key post first arc episode set wasn't a wise decision as the anime ought to have remained high climax action the entire duration. However beyond that the events that were covered were well done and let characters interact in great ways. I enjoyed seeing them in that capacity as well as getting to know them better. Otherwise, the anime did lots of stuff perfectly and is definitely on my list of favorite anime.

Harvest Moon Milky Holmes II 01

Rj56y.gif

Revenge of the farmers.

Not a bad it is season two time, so here's reintroducing everyone again episode. I really did enjoy the full blown wackiness of Milky Holmes deciding to be farmers instead of what they should be.

Also, the transformation screw ups scenes at the end of the episode was really good as well.

Ultimadrago

Best thing about shorts is that people are less hesitant to watch them. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you realize
she was blind right away?

No!
The way her eyes were looked took me as a bit "off" (very wide open), but I took it as part of the art style regularly until the fence.

kayos90

Sword Art Online 3

So that episode felt horribly paced. While the previous episode cut a lot of the stuff from the LN, I didn't mind it because it felt very well paced and it stood very well alone. This episode, however, suffered from a couple of things.

The transitions from the future and the past were very abrupt with not even fades making it difficult to feel somewhat cohesive. Secondly, I didn't enjoy that they decided to start the episode with a flashback and then abruptly change to the future on what Kirito is planning on doing. This makes chronological sense but it feels horrible in the sense that the impact of why he's doing certain things making it feel bad. The pacing style of the LN was much better imo, and the transitions to the present and the past made it stylistic and more impactful as a whole. Lastly, I didn't enjoy the abruptness of the ending. It's a very emotional scene and suddenly quick-fades into the ending. Bad.

Overall, the episode felt okay and while the emotion was there, the lack of narration delving deeper into Kirito's psyche, and the overall direction left me a bit sour.

Harvest Moon Milky Holmes II 01

Rj56y.gif

Revenge of the farmers.

Not a bad it is season two time, so here's reintroducing everyone again episode. I really did enjoy the full blown wackiness of Milky Holmes deciding to be farmers instead of what they should be.

Also, the transformation screw ups scenes at the end of the episode was really good as well.

I didn't like this farming-centric arc (eps 1 and 2) very much... making the Milky Holmes girls even STUPIDER wasn't the best decision I think. I think it's the worst part of the franchise. There were some amusing parts though, sure, like that transformation.

Did you watch the OVA episode that goes in between the two seasons, though? I don't remember seeing anything.

Kuroko's Basketball 16
tumblr_m7j3olu4dh1qdviero1_500.png

The This Is Japanese Lunch Time Rush is a nice touch in the ending animation. And lastly, did I miss where it was said why Seirin doesn't have a proper coach?

This kid is annoying with all his apologies, I guess that how he copes with game stress? Yawn

Episode 1, with them being a new school(2 years now), they didn't have one but a club was made & she being a pro trainers daughter was given to ok. Old dude we saw was just an advisor. She's a good coach but realistically that wouldn't happen of course.

I didn't like this farming-centric arc (eps 1 and 2) very much... making the Milky Holmes girls even STUPIDER wasn't the best decision I think. I think it's the worst part of the franchise. There were some amusing parts though, sure, like that transformation.

Did you watch the OVA episode that goes in between the two seasons, though? I don't remember seeing anything.

It's not very hard for them to act stupid. But, I enjoyed it since they weren't bickering amongst themselves.

I watched the OVA episode this morning, so it's somewhere back there. It was a fun episode, filled in some gaps.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SAO 3:
So far this has been a really interesting story idea dragged down by abysmal execution.

Also lol open world pvp. Talk about harsh.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Glad more people are warming into the best anime of the season!

004189_1.jpg

The hell was with the skipping around? I don't know if it was the same in the LNs, but this is just way too fast-paced.
The skipping around was present in the original side-story. The episode actually tried to make it a bit more streamlined. The only thing it didn't do so well was not devoting more time to developing the characters... as in how Kirito actually met the guild, why he was on a lower level to begin with, and perhaps a bit more on Sachi's feelings and how Kirito messed up causing them all to die.

But overall the tone of the encounter and his experience were there, and in the overall scheme, it was the motivations, desires and regrets that he acquired during that period that play the bigger role in the story, not the details of the event itself.

wonzo

Banned
Cipher

This is so eighties as fuck it's almost fatal. It really didn't make any sense whatsoever until I read that it was an OVA for some shoujo manga and then it sorta kinda made sense but not really. Overall, this was way more 80's than Eiji but Eiji did have the awesomely stylish OP that everyone needs to see.

also it has Footloose in it now go watch this ownage shit ASAP

Dresden

I told you dudes it'd be a mess.

Should've taken 20+ episodes for the first arc. It could've been done with 12 if they hadn't chosen to toss in all the post-volume-two side stories as well.

NewFresh

Cipher

This is so eighties as fuck it's almost fatal. It really didn't make any sense whatsoever until I read that it was an OVA for some shoujo manga and then it sorta kinda made sense but not really. Overall, this was way more 80's than Eiji but Eiji did have the awesomely stylish OP that everyone needs to see.

I think that's an apt description. Eiji's OP is something to behold.

Mega Ultra Muv Luv+: Collector's Edition 3
+Pornsuits are best suits
+In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only tittymonsters
+Mechs look neat, remind me a lot of Armored Core
+Ragtag group of damaged goods from various countries with matching stereotypical nicknames(American: Top Gun, Italian: Macaroni, etc) learning to be a team
+Likelihood of impending despair: maximum

-Fight choreography sucks balls
-Mechs move like dogshit
-Female MC has gone from horribly traumatized refugee to the living incarnation of ANIME. Imagine Misato as written by a five year-old with severe brain damage
-Introduction of the white haired chicks was confusing and awkward

kayos90

I told you dudes it'd be a mess.

Should've taken 20+ episodes for the first arc. It could've been done with 12 if they hadn't chosen to toss in all the post-volume-two side stories as well.

I think some of the side stories can easily be done in one episode. The one with Lizbeth and and the one with Silica can be done in one. This had to have been two because of the material and the emotion they're trying to deliver. It's not that it was just rushed, the execution wasn't there either making it a poor episode. Ugh.

duckroll

Natsuyuki - Episode 2-3

NTR is painful. It's a hurtful thing. Dying is depressing. Not being able to move on sucks. So much suffering. It hurts. At first the ghost trolling was funny. Now it's just sad. Pretty emotionally stressful. Everyone needs hugs. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pretty much what was stated regarding spoilers. Not that I'd recommend getting banned at any time but in case you didn't know, if you get banned as a junior it's permanent. So if you have even the slightest doubt you should probably but it under spoiler bars.
If you're making a good faith effort you shouldn't have to worry about too much. I understand it's not always clear but I don't want the thread to be either of the two extremes of unmarked spoiler free for all and total media blackout.

Ok, so it's really just the characters tails are so bushy is what people are referring to.
Yeah, it's considered a defining trait of squirrels while chipmunks like Chip and Dale have short nonbushy tails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom