• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno what you're talking about. BONES still rocks!

Execusing AO because we have no clue where they're going:

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Darker than Black Season 2
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Soul Eater(because of the godawful and I truly mean godawful ending)
Mars Daybreak

They have a fucking awful record now. Sword of the Stranger doesn't save them and there were some questionable calls on Brotherhood.

Reknoc

Wow. Don't compare me to Novid.

You're right, I'm sorry. The pool of delusion is like a sports centre. There's the really deep bit for the professional loons, but also some nice shallows for people who just want to chill out in some water. Right now you're in the kids paddling pool area, it's not too late to get out though and you probably should (you're too old to be playing in the paddling pool).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Heroman
Un-Go

Stardriver
Pocketful of AWESOME!!!
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

They have a fucking awful record now. Sword of the Stranger doesn't save them and there were some questionable calls on Brotherhood.

Oh come on.... those were good. I liked them.

You're right, I'm sorry. The pool of delusion is like a sports centre. There's the really deep bit for the professional loons, but also some nice shallows for people who just want to chill out in some water. Right now you're in the kids paddling pool area, it's not too late to get out though and you probably should (you're too old to be playing in the paddling pool).

HEY! People like me here. I think.... T_T

7Th

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

Not Bones.

OceanBlue

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

Gosick might not have been the greatest, but I don't think it was awful. It also picked up in the latter half in my opinion.

cajunator

Banned

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

But they created Scrapped Princess, even if it was a long time ago. Still one of my favorites. I can never hate Bones. Oh, and Angelic Layer too.

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

I thought those were all actually pretty good. Well Un-Go looks good waiting for the dub so I can finally see stuff beyond ep 1.

kayos90

Such a casual.

No I'm not. I'm just a sucker for stories and interesting stuff. Plus Pocketful of Rainbows is a great love story. At least imo. Meh. Also, just realized Cajun passed me in posts. My gosh...

You liked Pocketful of Rainbows? Where's that new bailout gif?

Dude, I posted a megapost about it a long while back. Where the hell were you?

survivor

Banned

Heroman
Un-Go
Stardriver
Pocketful of Shit
Tokyo Magnitude 8
No.6
Gosick
Mars Daybreak

Why are you hating on the greatest mystery anime of the past 10 years?

Firemind

Well, I guess that's that.

We'll always have this.

1342873095817.gif

Jarmel

Banned
No I'm not. I'm just a sucker for stories and interesting stuff. Plus Pocketful of Rainbows is a great love story. At least imo. Meh. Also, just realized Cajun passed me in posts. My gosh...

Dude, I posted a megapost about it a long while back. Where the hell were you?

I can't. I have never seen a movie take a dump so hard on the original canon. Not to mention being a horrible stand-alone piece. I can't.

Gosick might not have been the greatest, but I don't think it was awful. It also picked up in the latter half in my opinion.

Gosick did get better near the end and I did think it was okay as a whole but the show had shitloads of problems with both characterization, pacing, and overall writing.

Not Bones.
Tokyo Magnitude 8 was coproduced last I checked with Bones as one of the producers. Pocketful of Rainbows is definitely Bones unless you have some strong evidence to the otherwise.

Taruranto

Ahah, Gosick was so awful, i dropped it after the episode where the maid becomes a ninja and torches a whole village in 2 minutes. The mysteries were awful and relied entirely on Shinku being "cute". That's not good writing.

Personally though i still place them over Kyoani or JC Staffs and garbage like that, at least they try different kinds of shows, instead of doing just another LN adaptation with cute girls doing cute things and similar. I would also take Un-Go out of that list, overall watchable show.

Dresden

WTF? Dude, I dislike almost all things Korean dude. And I'm KOREAN. I hate K-POP soooooooo much.

Also, I"m a non-anime fan? T_T So sad....

I find it sad that k-pop seems to be the first thing anyone thinks of when someone mentions korean culture.

The second is either Starcraft or fan death.

kayos90

I can't. I have never seen a movie take a dump so hard on the original canon. Not to mention being a horrible stand-alone piece. I can't.

I thought the narrative content was there but the execution was just highly flawed. Also, it's not even that closely related to the original other than the crap about Neverland. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, which was essentially RentonxEureka romance.

I find it sad that k-pop seems to be the first thing anyone thinks of when someone mentions korean culture.

I think of Korean food, Starcraft, LoL, fandeath, etc.

survivor

Banned
Does Detective Conan not count? Just wondering...
I guess if you only count the first 100 episodes or so before it got too repetitive then it will count but these were made in the 90s so they are outside of the 10 years limit.

Ahah, Gosick was so awful, i dropped it after the episode where the maid becomes a ninja and torches a whole village in 2 minutes. The mysteries were awful and relied entirely on Shinku being "cute". That's not good writing.

Personally though i still place them over Kyoani or JC Staffs and garbage like that, at least they try different kinds of shows, instead of doing just another cute girls doing cute things #456364 and similar.

Gosick was also too boring.

kayos90

I guess if you only count the first 100 episodes or so before it got too repetitive then it will count but these were made in the 90s so they are outside of the 10 years limit.

Gosick was also too boring.

The actual plot progression episodes are pretty good imo. Idk... maybe I"m wrong.

7Th

Tokyo Magnitude 8 was coproduced last I checked with Bones as one of the producers. Pocketful of Rainbows is definitely Bones unless you have some strong evidence to the otherwise.

Kinema Citrus did "Animation Production" for both.

cajunator

Banned
Does Detective Conan not count? Just wondering...

Still haven't seen Utena.

Watch it. NOW.
Talk about missing a gem.

We'll always have this.

1342873095817.gif

Hnnnnngrgh.

Yamada brought the whole show down. Of the females in it, Poplar was probably the most decent, such a great target for Satou, always laughed.

I'm sorry, but you've been bad. go sit in the fucking corner!

I think of Hyundais and a supercar called Oullim Spirra. But I'm a car nut, so....

Jarmel

Banned
I thought the narrative content was there but the execution was just highly flawed. Also, it's not even that closely related to the original other than the crap about Neverland. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, which was essentially RentonxEureka romance.

Well here we go. First off the RentonxEureka romance is a failure in the show because they don't take the time to really flesh out the characters separate from the romance. The characters are shallow reflections compared to their TV counterparts. Second is the reused animation as it's relatively noticeable and seems like a rush/budget job in that they dien't want to redraw the scenes. Third is the complete clusterfuck that is the plot. Fourth is the fact that they reused characters but changed around their background in the weirdest most bullshit manner. Why even use said character if you're going to change their background and personality to the point that's not recognizable. Stephen King does some similar bullshit at the end of the Dark Tower, and that's all it is, bullshit. People fall in love with characters due to their personality quirks and not just their visual looks. Fifth is that you needed to have some background knowledge to watch the movie, ala the UBW movie, which makes it fall as a standalone. Sixth is the pacing in that they're trying to rush a story that probably needed a lot more time(both on screen and in the oven) to develop properly.

survivor

Banned
The actual plot progression episodes are pretty good imo. Idk... maybe I"m wrong.

Yeah, Black Organization episodes are very solid and entertaining and so are episodes featuring Heiji Hattori. The worst episodes are the ones with just the kids investigating on their own. In general, Conan has some solid mysteries and I always loved its locked room mystery cases, but as an overall package, there is a lot of crap boring cases.

Someone should just compile a list of 100 episodes of the best cases/BO episodes and release them as a complete collection.

kayos90

Well here we go. First off the RentonxEureka romance is a failure in the show because they don't take the time to really flesh out the characters separate from the romance. The characters are shallow reflections compared to their TV counterparts. Second is the reused animation as it's relatively noticeable and seems like a rush/budget job in that they dien't want to redraw the scenes. Third is the complete clusterfuck that is the plot. Fourth is the fact that they reused characters but changed around their background in the weirdest most bullshit manner. Why even use said character if you're going to change their background and personality to the point that's not recognizable. Stephen King does some similar bullshit at the end of the Dark Tower, and that's all it is, bullshit. People fall in love with characters due to their personality quirks and not just their visual looks. Fifth is that you needed to have some background knowledge to watch the movie, ala the UBW movie, which makes it fall as a standalone. Sixth is the pacing in that they're trying to rush a story that probably needed a lot more time(both on screen and in the oven) to develop properly.

Dude, I think your points are all correct. I just decide to overlook those facts. I do this for certain stuff. It's almost how I feel about DXHR. It's a game that has problems for sure but I can overlook it because of the things I love.

Yeah, Black Organization episodes are very solid and entertaining and so are episodes featuring Heiji Hattori. The worst episodes are the ones with just the kids investigating on their own. In general, Conan has some solid mysteries and I always loved its locked room mystery cases, but as an overall package, there is a lot of crap boring cases.

Someone should just compile a list of 100 episodes of the best cases/BO episodes and release them as a complete collection.

I use this.

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Anime

Jarmel

Banned
Kinema Citrus did "Animation Production" for both.

Kyoda did the writing and directing for the movie at least. So Bones is still to blame for the shitfest that is the movie. I also blame whoever did the writing for TM8. Both works had decent visuals, it was the directing and writing that are garbage in both.

Edit: Bones also did the animation production for both works as well. The movie at the very least is without a doubt, a Bones product.

Gintamen

Have to make up my evening shedule now and don't want to get all to depressed, so has Kokurikozaka Kara/From Up on Poppy Hill a happy ending?

Arcana Famiglia 04

7JvzG.gif

Ew, girl cooties, get away.

This episode they became shopkeepers!

A decent episode. A little action, a little arcana powers but mostly flashbacks and character development. Yes, today was Liberta's time to shine and for everyone and Ms. Otome lead to see into his past and get to know him better!

Wasn't anything real special but it does look like we're going into guy of the week episodes now, so hop abroad the otome train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom