• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upotte!! - 06

Ah, well that's cool of her to-

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

sako6uo7m.gif

forbidden love and a very accurate representation of finnish women.

Saiunkoku Monogatari 1

I think I'm going to like this. Aesthetic and soundtrack is great and I thought the first episode did a nice job touching on what i'm sure to be important reoccurring characters. Bring on the melodrama and hijinx, I say.

Old men plotting, heck yeah!
Those 100 eps are just great.
What i could do for a third season.
A female lead that knows what she wants..glorious

Jex

I know I never post in here, but I have to say, an anime thread where cajunator isn't the number one poster is just... wrong.

The position of the number one poster isn't secured until a thread hits 20,00 and closes. By then, baring some unforeseen accident/ban, I don't see why Cajunator wouldn't be number one based on past performance.

Narag

I know I never post in here, but I have to say, an anime thread where cajunator isn't the number one poster is just... wrong.

His ban is just a handicap. He's still proficient enough to crush posters #2-5 combined if he wished.

Jex

Sometimes ANN reviews aren't simply laughable, they're just weird - Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Allow your imagination to toss in some polygons for the mechanical designs, change the aspect ratio and saturate the odd scene with CG light sources, and BGC 2040 could easily be mistaken for a show produced just this year past.
Um, no. I don't think it's that easy to confuse a modern show with a show that looks extremely 90's. They don't look that similar at all.

All of which creates some bizarre believability problems – while just a glance is enough to tell that the original Bubblegum Crisis was a product of a time that though people would still use phone boxes in the far flung future, 2040's more contemporary appearance makes the bulky nature of much computing equipment – to say nothing of the total lack of smart-phones (although it tepidly does flirt with the idea) – seem bafflingly out-of-touch.
Wait, what? This is such a weird line of reasoning. Why would you blame a show for not envisioning future technology?
This is largely down to the show taking its time to get all the pieces in play, and failing to do the best job of foreshadowing what's to come, or even what came before – Tokyo was largely destroyed by an earthquake, you say? Funny. That morsel is given so little time (and, from a post 2011 perspective, so little significance)...
So, the only major earthquake to ever hit Tokyo occurred in 2011? Um.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sometimes ANN reviews aren't simply laughable, they're just weird - Bubblegum Crisis 2040

Um, no. I don't think it's that easy to confuse a modern show with a show that looks extremely 90's. They don't look that similar at all.

Wait, what? This is such a weird line of reasoning. Why would you blame a show for not envisioning future technology?

So, the only major earthquake to ever hit Tokyo occurred in 2011? Um.

Why do you do this to yourself?

Joule

Saki A Fin 12:
Mahjong (and no pan) is serious business.

Given that they finally have
Nodoka and friends finally meet
, this episode really felt like an ending. They even had the same
Narrator come back and give his spiel that he gave at the end of the original Saki
, so it even went full circle in that way too!
Ending or just more teasing, both I guess. "We'll meet you in the finals!"

Certainly if it ended there, there would be so much god damned hype for this show (at least among maniacs like me), so I'm curious to see how they'll tack on the next three episodes. It just feels like there should be something massive at the end anyway.
Maybe they'll actually play more mahjong (I don't mind if half is friendship flashbacks but the other half needs tiles smashing). At least I hope anyway. For a side story called Achiga-hen the players there, have been really outshone and some totally irrelevant (Arata's one thing but Shizu's even in the title logo). I totally repped the wrong character this season : (

I'm also curious as to the business decision behind the extra episodes as well. I guess this means that studios are able to sell time slots on a per-episode basis? Does this mean that they usually fill that time with the Japanese version of Snuggie and Slap Chop informercials and put anime on instead when someone pays for the slot? Certainly it seems that taking three weeks into that slot means whatever else could have fit in there wouldn't work any more. I also wonder what it takes to just ramp up and add three more episodes. I guess they're only a couple weeks ahead of each episode airing, but it does seem weird to just throw in some more episodes in the middle of a run anyway.
Yeah that is pretty curious thought. What show is replacing Saki?

Still, whatever. More Toki please!
I wonder what it says if the even the side character (SUBARA!) in the Teru match curried more favour from me than the respective Achiga girl (poor Kuro).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ending or just more teasing, both I guess. "We'll meet you in the finals!"
It felt like an ending. It felt like that they saved the "moment" for that episode anyway.

Maybe they'll actually play more mahjong (I don't mind if half is friendship flashbacks but the other half needs tiles smashing). At least I hope anyway. For a side story called Achiga-hen the players there, have been really outshone and some totally irrelevant (Arata's one thing but Shizu's even in the title logo). I totally repped the wrong character this season : (
I just mean in terms of how they're going to actually end the anime, since they set it up fairly well. The pessimistic view to take it is that they realize that there's no chance that they'll get to make a sequel to "side A", so they decided to try to end the series as quickly as possible.

Yeah that is pretty curious thought. What show is replacing Saki?
No clue!

I wonder what it says if the even the side character (SUBARA!) in the Teru match curried more favour from me than the respective Achiga girl (poor Kuro).
The same thing happened in the original series though. All the loser teams got more time than the main characters. lol

Internet journalism is a joke... more news at 11!
Reviewers aren't journalists!

La Storia Duello Arcana Famiglia 1
tumblr_m6hzlqYFqo1r9vjiho1_500.gif

Glory to Arcana, that was a good start. The taste of the Arcana system looked rather compelling and hypes me up for more when certain characters become competent at it, hopefully in the two months leading up to the Arcana Duello. The OP and the ED and at least interactions with Felicita at least indicates to me that my two favorites (Liberta, Nova) may be the closest to winning.
tumblr_m6hl2q9bs31rzk3aqo1_500.jpg

The action was pretty nice with both Liberta and Nova being my favorite to see in the beginning there and then later on. They are so funny together with their opposing personalities yet seemingly wanting to do the same for Ojou-sama. If only we knew what they Arcana was. Really I have essentially no qualms with the other characters, though clear favorite. Pace is definitely hilarious too with the food, Jolly looking like a leader, and Luca as the silly attendant. Strong cast.

Pieces of Treasure is a nice ED and the OP is great too, great choice of visuals for both.

Wondering how Ojou sama will pull things off if she will end up coming up with a plan to possibly win I guess, as well as if some other threat may be introduced in this series.

I can't imagine this is really just 12 episodes, hoping for a second half a season or two later, I pray.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 1

Living in the decline of humanity may seem like a pleasant, pastoral existence on the surface.

But alas, this is merely a facade to conceal the evils of material culture and the hubris of science that brought the species to this low point.

Genetic engineering. Artificial manufacturing. It all feeds the endless, unescapable cycle of bloodshed.

hs6pK.gif

We would do well to heed these cautions before it is too late - for the bread, and for the human race.

In short: This show is a bizarre cross between relaxing slice-of-life and WTF? At least for now, it works.

Joule

It felt like an ending. It felt like that they saved the "moment" for that episode anyway.

I just mean in terms of how they're going to actually end the anime, since they set it up fairly well. The pessimistic view to take it is that they realize that there's no chance that they'll get to make a sequel to "side A", so they decided to try to end the series as quickly as possible.
In that sense sure. If it were to have ended here, it'd be the ending we expected early on which isn't a bad thing. It occurred after what is probably the most prominent match of this round so it's a good point to end on too (is something going to top Teru/Toki in the next 3 episodes? Probably not). The sequel to side A would just be a Saki 2 right? I guess we'll have to see how things pan out with the Achiga sales.

The same thing happened in the original series though. All the loser teams got more time than the main characters. lol
Yeah but at least they got more time than here. I forgot there was even an Arata for awhile!

survivor

Banned
La Storia Duello Arcana Famiglia 1

I can't imagine this is really just 12 episodes, hoping for a second half a season or two later, I pray.

Really? I think it's the perfect amount of episodes. I mean the whole point of the series is about the tournament they are holding and there is only 7 characters that we will follow, 12 episodes seems logical.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
La Storia della Arcana Famiglia 1

Don't give your characters Italian names if you can't pronounce them.

This episode started out nicely. The solid animation and the classy characters stood out. But then came the cheesiness of the power explanation shots, and finally the Godfather, who revealed the real purpose of the show.
A battle for his daughter's hand.

Oh God why.

Well... Zettai ryouiki. So there's that.

Oh yeah: Nova's pretty clearly the worst character of them all. What a douche.

The normal pattern of cause and effect follows: Crunchyroll licensed it for simulcasting, so Sentai licenses Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai for everything else.

They just won't stop will they?

For those keeping score at home, the only shows left unlicensed by Sentai that Crunchyroll is streaming are:
Chitose Get You!!
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Kokoro Connect
Tari Tari
Sword Art Online

I'm guessing not Tari Tari, since the first episode already aired.

La Storia della Arcana Famiglia 1

Don't give your characters Italian names if you can't pronounce them.

This episode started out nicely. The solid animation and the classy characters stood out. But then came the cheesiness of the power explanation shots, and finally the Godfather, who revealed the real purpose of the show.
A battle for his daughter's hand.

Oh God why.

Did you not know this was a reverse harem otome game adaptation going in? That's a pretty standard plot for this genre.

Kazzy

Kids on the Slope 9-12

Oh man, all those feelings!

I've not really had an issue with how this show has chosen to deal with the expanse of time, not until the final episode anyway. The way in which the whole thing concluded seemed logical, but it came across as far too abrupt to really have any emotional impact past a surface level. Considering I had no prior knowledge of the story before watching the anime, I wasn't expecting the narrative to suddenly propell itself so much in latter part of the finale. It ended feeling like it never really worked for its ending.

To spend the majority of the series charting their progress through high-school, the jumps where acceptable (at least for me) because the characters still inhabited pretty much the same mindset as they had done previously, and you could at least understand what motivated their actions. I found a lot of the behaviour of the cast weirdly off in the final few episodes, where the shift in tone come across as jarring. The ending just took a lot of that previous grounding all away, and you never got a change to be acquainted with how the protagonists had really matured during the skip, not past their occupations anyway. For a story that seemed so concerned with its characters, the concession of time made it all feel a little shallow. I get that nagging feeling that the Manga probably provided a much more fitting conclusion for its characters, so in that respect much of my criticism may just be wild speculation, having never read it myself.

I'll not reflect too much on it, because thats already been done enough. Just though I'd add that I mostly enjoyed it, but it laid on the melodrama a little thick in spots. It would have really benfitted from a longer run too, especially towards past the halfway point where it became apparent that the story was bigger than what was being shown.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In that sense sure. If it were to have ended here, it'd be the ending we expected early on which isn't a bad thing. It occurred after what is probably the most prominent match of this round so it's a good point to end on too (is something going to top Teru/Toki in the next 3 episodes? Probably not). The sequel to side A would just be a Saki 2 right? I guess we'll have to see how things pan out with the Achiga sales.
According to ABF, the manga hasn't even finished the semi finals yet, so I'm not sure what they're going to do. I mean, one way they could have done it is end here, do a 1 cour Saki that ends at their semi-finals, then do another 1 cour sequel to Saki A to finish up the semi-finals, then back to Saki to finish up their semi-final match and then do the crossover season.

But, that would require a lot of planning (and a 52 episode order) I suppose. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom