• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

Watched the first episode of Natsu no Arashi. While it is probably better most of the stuff I've been watching, I think I'll pass on the series. Although, I loved Back to the Future, time traveling just doesn't work that well for me.

/XX/

As you can see, he’s really hugging the edge of the frame in a number of these shots, trying not to get noticed or stand out. He’s also being captured in long-shot, distancing himself from the audience as well as his fellow classmates. His isolation and social anxiety is clearly on display. Of course, the expressions that he wears and the way that he holds himself has changed as well, you don’t see him slouching or slumping his shoulders. They really did a good job portraying his transformation.
Indeed! As a example... you know one moment I specially liked about the development of Yuki that shows all the progress he has done? How in episode 11, when they couldn't make JFX to catch the bait, Yuki collapses on the deck to think about the situation (through his habitual flashbacks) while a, now understanding, Haru inferred for the others that he simply was thinking on something important.

That pause to reflect on what to do mirrors other situations on past episodes, but thanks to the splendid characterization that conserves traits as a sign of personality but with slight changes they used this as a demonstration of how to overcome obstacles instead of showing him continuously and pointlessly worrying as he always did before, using that in favor of the moment now, and consequently makes seen it all with a new light of accomplishment.

It is not a sudden change, is more something like a long-distance race to be a bit better thanks to steady improvements day-by-day, with every effort, as Yuki somewhat implies on his monologue at the ending episode of this series. It really was a good job by the staff involved, really.

So, in summary: a great final episode to a great show. I can happily recommend this series to just about any curious anime viewer as one of the best shows of 2012.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/TsuritamaEnd12.jpg
I must say, fantastic read! As always your comments are amazing, but my appreciation of the series amplifies my enjoyment of this kind of posts.

forbidden love and a very accurate representation of finnish women.
Damn right!

Are you implying Bobobo craziness is too crazy for us to handle?
No one can handle it.

no one should have to handle it

i am already too far gone
It was too much for everyone... and that is why the Japanese PTA had to ruin the fun for all!

Also, I absolutely love the Spanish dub. Bow to the 'Double Jaime' Team; Mr. Roca & Mr. Ortega.

wonzo

Banned
Chitose Get You! 1

chitose1.jpg
chitose1a.jpg
chitose1b.jpg

Hopefully a long prison sentence
for Chitose when she ends up raping him.

Wes

venison crêpe
Campione! 1

Blonde asks guy if he speaks Italian, doesn't even matter because she knows Japanese. So stuck up.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Jinrui 1

The very first thing you notice is how good the art is:

And then the bizzare surreality kicks in: mild spoilers I guess

This really reminded me quite a bit of Sengoku Collection 8 (one of the few good episodes). The one thing that might get slightly annoying is the constant narration. However, the writing was good enough to keep it from hurting this first episode. This series is definitely one to follow.

Arcana Famiglia 01
QNUS9.gif

Not a bad episode. It was average, exposition everywhere even when the characters were asking for them to not do so. The characters are fun, but I can easily see that besides their one episode in the spotlight, pretty much 60% of them will fall in the background by the end. The fights weren't bad, action was there, I would like to see more of the powers stuff happen.

I guess husbando list:
1. Liberta
2. Pace
3. Luca
4. Nova, Debito, Dante, Jolly

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All these announcements are like when Microsoft announces services for the 360. You know they'll never come to Europe.

Reknoc

All these announcements are like when Microsoft announces services for the 360. You know they'll never come to Europe.

No no, they'll all definitely come to Europe (plus more). UK is fucked, though some of that garbage Manga Ent are bound to pick up.

Im curious on how Europe will handle the Blue Exorcist dub news, since the sub only dvd is supposed to come this summer there.

Manga Ent guy on twitter moaned about it for a bit, we're getting Sub only.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 01:

Infodump impressions for an infodump episode.

Basically, this show is :DTL as all hell. On a scale of Panty and Stocking to Fairy Tail, this is at least Bleach filler. The premise: one girl, a bunch of guys, a succession tournament, and a bunch of really fake-sounding Italian names. In the interest of being able to describe characters and events without resorting to "what's-his-face" or "that one guy" for the majority of the series, I have taken it upon myself to give the characters identifiable names that are at least more authentically Italian than the names that they were given in the show.

First, the protagonist:

This is Felicita. She's the only character whose name I could actually remember, mostly by virtue of the fact that it's spoken the most of any name
and I may need to remember her name for future lookup on Danbooru, unlike the dudes.
She's kind of tsundere, kind of aggressive, reminds me a little of Dokugamine Riruka from Bleach in design and character. Has S-tier zettai ryouiki. That's just enough to keep me watching in spite of how horribly bland and ugly everything else was. I suppose it's worth nothing that she's really assertive and strong-willed for your average fujoshi insert, but that doesn't really make her a good character per se, just above average for her particular character archetype.

So basically, Felicita is part of some organization called Arcana Famiglia that protects not-Italy from bad guys....or something......and might be the mafia, except not, except maybe. Outside of Felicita the organization is a bishounen sausage fest of cocky young boys in black suits with ridiculous hair, each with their own power deriving from (guess, just guess.)

(no really, guess.)

(guessed yet?) THE MAJOR ARCANA OF TAROT. Some dude has The Hermit and can turn invisible, another dude has The Fool and...uhh...has a sword, Felicitia has the Lovers and, well, her power is that SHE'S A GIRL. Because Lovers. Actually, she probably has some kind of kicking-related power designed solely to show off her zettai ryouiki as much as possible, kind of like Lenalee Lee from D.Gray-man.

So who are some of the other members of Arcana Famiglia?

On the left here is Rigatoni, who uses a sword and something something protect the clan something. On the right is Lasagna, a chivalrous goody-goody bursting with SHOUNEN HAATO.

The guy with the brown hair is Farfalle. He kind of fades into the background and really likes chicken legs. The silver-haired eyepatch guy is Fettuccine, and he's kind of an asshole. What's under the eyepatch? There's a 99.999% chance that it's an important plot point. Because, y'know, it's not like people ever lose their eyes for mundane reasons or anything.

And this amateur Rider impersonator is Spaghetti, the big cheese of the Arcana Famiglia. One day, he up and decides that he's tired of his incredibly extravagant life as the don of the organization and decides that he's going to decide his successor through a tournament between all of the members of the Arcana Famiglia. The main conflict of the show begins when he
offers Felicita's hand in marriage to the winner of the tournament without, y'know, running the idea by her first
, Felicita gets understandably pissed, and some of the Famiglia are practically drooling at the proposition while others think it's a dick move. Even Lasagna, who practically kicks Spaghetti's ass over the announcement, is already fantasizing about
knocking boots with dem zettai ryouiki
mere minutes later. Poor Felicita,
fucked both figuratively and literally

Is this really worth following? Nah, but there's something so incredibly cheesy about it that I can't drop it just yet. Gotta have something else in my pocket in case Campione! ends up not being bad enough.

jbug617

Banned
With Sentai licensing all these animes, does that mean all should see a dvd or bluray release in the future or does Sentai just pick out what they want to release?

mAcOdIn

W
atched the first episode of Natsu no Arashi. While it is probably better most of the stuff I've been watching, I think I'll pass on the series. Although, I loved Back to the Future, time traveling just doesn't work that well for me.
No, the first episode's the weakest. Watch another.

Infodump impressions for an infodump episode.

Basically, this show is :DTL as all hell. On a scale of Panty and Stocking to Fairy Tail, this is at least Bleach filler.

So who are some of the other members of Arcana Famiglia?

On the left here is Rigatoni, who uses a sword and something something protect the clan something. On the right is Lasagna, a chivalrous goody-goody bursting with SHOUNEN HAATO.

The guy with the brown hair is Farfalle. He kind of fades into the background and really likes chicken legs. The silver-haired eyepatch guy is Fettuccine, and he's kind of an asshole. What's under the eyepatch? There's a 99.999% chance that it's an important plot point. Because, y'know, it's not like people ever lose their eyes for mundane reasons or anything.

And this amateur Rider impersonator is Spaghetti, the big cheese of the Arcana Famiglia. One day, he up and decides that he's tired of his incredibly extravagant life as the don of the organization and decides that he's going to decide his successor through a tournament between all of the members of the Arcana Famiglia. The main conflict of the show begins when he
offers Felicita's hand in marriage to the winner of the tournament without, y'know, running the idea by her first
, Felicita gets understandably pissed, and some of the Famiglia are practically drooling at the proposition while others think it's a dick move. Even Lasagna, who practically kicks Spaghetti's ass over the announcement, is already fantasizing about
knocking boots with dem zettai ryouiki
mere minutes later. Poor Felicita,
fucked both figuratively and literally

Definitely the most memorable post of this thread thus far, wow. I cant unhear the names now. Rigatoni and Lasagna, nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, the first episode's the weakest. Watch another.
Holy crap! You're here!

Watched the first episode of Natsu no Arashi. While it is probably better most of the stuff I've been watching, I think I'll pass on the series. Although, I loved Back to the Future, time traveling just doesn't work that well for me.
It's not really about time travel though. And, like Dusk Maiden, the director does the "last episode first" thing with the show. lol

Ezalc

Basically, this show is :DTL as all hell. On a scale of Panty and Stocking to Fairy Tail, this is at least Bleach filler.

What does this even mean.

Main two guys use swords? Really? C'mon now, talk about lack of creativity.

Kids on the slope 12:

Damn the ending was rushed as was whole series. Shame. Could have used extra 12 episodes. Still solid series though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 01

Terrifyingly disturbing is probably the most temperate way of describing this episode, if not the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom