• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So Tsuritama is an 11-episode series, but there are 12 episodes. Clearly, one of those episodes is the cursed Extra Episode and, unless we can discover which episode this is, it's going to keep killing other episodes until there are none left. A truly frightening proposition.

The extra's not an episode, though. It's actually the hot springs special OVA.

Jex

[Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood] - 16 & 17

I have no problem with these episodes, for the most part. However, the sudden changes in tone for 'comedy moments' are really starting to bug me, especially when they occur in an otherwise dramatic sequence.

snapshot_dvd_005048_20120701_201747.jpg

snapshot_dvd_012051_20120701_201637.jpg

[Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood] - 16 & 17

I have no problem with these episodes, for the most part. However, the sudden changes in tone for 'comedy moments' are really starting to bug me, especially when they occur in an otherwise dramatic sequence.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/snapshot_dvd_005048_20120701_201747.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/snapshot_dvd_012051_20120701_201637.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Youre not watching it dubbed nor on Blu Ray?! I think youre missing out. (I hate yellow subs :( )

Also those episodes really started to drag on me even watching a second time, some of the pacing of action stuff in FMA BroHood could have been a bit better.

Narag

Saiunkoku Monogatari 1

I think I'm going to like this. Aesthetic and soundtrack is great and I thought the first episode did a nice job touching on what i'm sure to be important reoccurring characters. Bring on the melodrama and hijinx, I say.

Old men plotting, heck yeah!

Jex

I would like to point out that ANN back me up over Tsuritama's 11 episodes. They also say:

If you took an old-fashioned youth drama, hitched it to a campy 50s sci-fi romp and filtered it through the hipster sensibilities of an indie comedy it might come out looking something like this.

Who else feels this way?

Also, I have the feeling that the reviews writer isn't that familiar with 1950's science fiction movies. There's a lot of sequences where scientists/investigators talking about some monster/alien, and then there might be a short action sequence at the end. They aren't really that similar. Perhaps the writer is working on the (reasonable) assumption that most people are familiar with anything from the 50's.

Solune

Oreimo 12

Unsung hero in this show is the mother eager to embarrass family members. 3-D Custom Imouto sounds a fairly innocuous game title.

I'll finish the true route later but I'll give some brief thoughts on the tv series proper. I started this thinking it was going to be pretty bad given reactions I've seen here and there. Curiosity got the better of me but I was treated to a hilarious surprise. I really liked enjoyed the cast and their antics no matter how out there they ended up. I can fully empathize with folk that didn't like it due to having crazy little sisters of their own so I've little doubt I'd be of a similar opinion if I did, but seeing as I didn't, this shit was great. Bring on season 2!

In closing, Kirino > Kuroneko.
I see Jexhius' previous endeavour brainwashed you.
Pretty much, her existence is easily forgettable.

You can't forget something that wasn't there to begin with.

Jex

It's really unfair for me to selective quote from a review so I will have to link to the whole thing:

tsuritama is a show that wants very badly to be quirky. It wants it so badly it can taste it. It isn't enough to be a sci-fi coming of age tale about fishing...But it's also kind of forced; like Nakamura and his companions couldn't let a scene pass without slapping us in the face with their quirkiness.

So it's a bit of a surprise that the series' real problem is that it's actually kind of dull. Dull for the simple reason that, at least for most of these six episodes, nothing interesting happens. At its core this leg of the series is a coming of age tale. Yuki, Haru and Natsuki (and to a lesser extent Akira) spend most of the series just growing up: making friends, opening up, overcoming personal issues, learning to make allowances for others, earning a living, falling in love with a hobby. Which would be plenty interesting, if only we were interested in Yuki and his friends. Sadly though, they're not a particularly enthralling group...

Makoto

It's really unfair for me to selective quote from a review so I will have to link to the whole thing:
I'm more curious about the latter half of their review primarily because of the last paragraph of the first review.
There's a very simple way for tsuritama to solve most of its problems. All it has to do is drop the grandmother-knows-best, life-lesson-spouting seishun junk and focus wholly on aliens-and-fish weirdness. The final act of the final episode, where Yuki, Haru, Natsuki and Akira have a harrowing and thoroughly bizarre encounter with whatever it is that's lurking in the waters outside of town, is a step in the right direction. It's a confusing, fascinating sequence, and once it's over you really want to see what comes next. As long as Yuki and company don't get in the way again, the show might still have a chance to really hook us. Pun totally intended.
Because that's what pretty much happens in the second half.

But in any case, I agree with the reviewer's remarks that the cast is not particularly enthralling in the first half.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'd like to be able to say "this is why we can't have nice things", but the opinions of international anime "journalists" have zero influence on the output of the Japanese industry anyway.

Seriously what the hell. I wasn't sold on the cast of Tsuritama in maybe the first two or three episodes, but to still not find them engaging after episode six? Really?

Ultimadrago

tsuritama is a show that wants very badly to be quirky. It wants it so badly it can taste it. It isn't enough to be a sci-fi coming of age tale about fishing...But it's also kind of forced; like Nakamura and his companions couldn't let a scene pass without slapping us in the face with their quirkiness.

I couldn't read past the bolded without laughing.

There's also a number of scenes that don't "slap" people in the face with quirkiness. I honestly don't understand that complaint.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan 11

Lagnus: "Please pick up your sword and go save the damsel in distress!"

Rick: "Brb gotta bake some"

I almost lost it at the girls delivering the last line of the pep talk in chorus. Freaking scary stuff.

And then...

:DTL

Bwahahaha. They sure don't waste time.
One minute the guy's baking, the next he's flying and shooting laser beams from the tip of his sword.
Amazing.

Jex

Now, in all fairness, this is just someone's opinion about the characters in a show. His casual use of stuff like 'hipster', 'campy' and 'indie' is far more objectionable.

It's not like this is a Madoka-tier review, sadly.

Ultimadrago

Now, I will have to read the Madoka review.

Let me guess: "This story is the best of all time. The characters are engaging to a point where you can taste it!"

lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Campione 1

The first of the harem waifu shows of the season, this is going for the action waifu direction. There's enough here beyond "kyaa ecchi" to tentatively keep watching. The
Gods incarnated as huge monsters reminiscent of, say, Shadow of the Colussus has me excited for some cool fights in the future. Lots of characters were introduced, but the role of each was clearly defined. Of course, the MC just had to save the waifu after she failed to defeat the god, but at least there was more going on there than, say, Shirou and Saber. And of course the rival is all kinds of hax. At least the MC has a backbone and takes the initiative! And of course the MC has an entirely hax ability otherwise he would die about 3 minutes in.

The highlight, of course, was the 2d car. ^^

Campione 1

The first of the harem waifu shows of the season, this is going for the action waifu direction. There's enough here beyond "kyaa ecchi" to tentatively keep watching. The
Gods incarnated as huge monsters reminiscent of, say, Shadow of the Colussus has me excited for some cool fights in the future. Lots of characters were introduced, but the role of each was clearly defined. Of course, the MC just had to save the waifu after she failed to defeat the god, but at least there was more going on there than, say, Shirou and Saber. And of course the rival is all kinds of hax. At least the MC has a backbone and takes the initiative! And of course the MC has an entirely hax ability otherwise he would die about 3 minutes in.

The highlight, of course, was the 2d car. ^^

I thought it was actually amazing how the antagonist had 9 of the 10 then the protagonist had 1 of the 10 and was able to defeat him (in all those stunning swords, which still makes me, wow!). So glad he is actually pretty competant of a fighter. I cant believe she turned out so useless though an elite mage and all she could do was like nothing at all.

Jex

Meanwhile, there's an Unlimited Blade Works review to read:

Haven't seen the Fate/stay night anime series or read its source visual novel? Not a major problem. The first couple of minutes of Unlimited Blade Works carefully explain the basic premise, providing even franchise novices with enough of the underlying structure to make sense of what transpires here. Newcomers will miss some of the details which get glossed over or outright skipped...but these omissions generally do not have a major impact on the story. While the movie is certainly intended for established franchise fans, and such individuals will get more out of it...

The original TV series looked pretty good but naturally gets an upgrade here, primarily in its animation and in the more rounded 3D feel it gives its characters. The slightly blocky computer-drawn style frequently seen in the character rendering in the series remains, however, and the animation still takes some common TV series animation shortcuts, such as not clearly showing the character that is talking in some scenes and showing a conversation only from a distance.

Rin is still every bit the hottie that she was in the TV series, though, Archer looks even more studly than before, and Saber is still every bit the knightly-looking woman.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 11

Rather surprised at how fast they're defusing tension of situations. I mean, they stopped Sen at the very beginning, made the wreck seem really bad, but had everything get okay moments later. I guess it was for the false sense of security for when Sen up and leaves? Maybe?

Thought it was pretty ballsy to completely cast aside the big battle of the bands thing at the talent show. Was it for the best? Shoot, I don't know. I just thought it was rather brave to get rid of it.

One more week. : (

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saki A Fin 12:
iDzHjl.jpg

Mahjong (and no pan) is serious business.

Given that they finally have
Nodoka and friends finally meet
, this episode really felt like an ending. They even had the same
Narrator come back and give his spiel that he gave at the end of the original Saki
, so it even went full circle in that way too!

Certainly if it ended there, there would be so much god damned hype for this show (at least among maniacs like me), so I'm curious to see how they'll tack on the next three episodes. It just feels like there should be something massive at the end anyway.

I'm also curious as to the business decision behind the extra episodes as well. I guess this means that studios are able to sell time slots on a per-episode basis? Does this mean that they usually fill that time with the Japanese version of Snuggie and Slap Chop informercials and put anime on instead when someone pays for the slot? Certainly it seems that taking three weeks into that slot means whatever else could have fit in there wouldn't work any more.
I also wonder what it takes to just ramp up and add three more episodes. I guess they're only a couple weeks ahead of each episode airing, but it does seem weird to just throw in some more episodes in the middle of a run anyway.

Still, whatever. More Saki please!

Jex

I guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Or once, if it's a 24 hour clock -Eureka Seven Ao

EUREKA SEVEN AO, in its first few episodes, is strangely contradictory. The main storyline is simple enough to understand—but comes with all manner of subplots that make it unnecessarily complicated...

Part of EUREKA SEVEN AO's problem is introducing too many ideas right away. It isn't just about a boy who pilots a giant robot: it's about his friends and neighbors on the island; it's about the Scub Coral; it's about his mysterious parentage; it's even about political tensions between Okinawa, Japan and the U.S. (arguably the part that is the most complicated). These episodes constantly jump back and forth between different storylines, making it a chore of tracking everyone's current situation—even something as simple as where Ao last left his Nirvash. Worse yet is having to learn all the assorted jargon, like knowing that Generation Bleu is the parent organization of Pied Piper and Goldilocks (actual squads that pilot the IFOs—er, giant robots), or realizing that Secrets and G-Monsters mean the same thing, and recalling what "trapar" is from the original Eureka Seven.

That's even before they introduce the Truth, lol. He ain't seen nothing yet!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I know I never post in here, but I have to say, an anime thread where cajunator isn't the number one poster is just... wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom