• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Apparently Blood-C The Last Dark has a couple of really erotic scenes animated by Umetsu, which Production IG did not want to show at their panel. :D

Articalys

Good Lord. That's the 12th title Sentai has announced this weekend right? Aren't they countersuing FUNi for being a monopoly in the anime industry? Lol.
Yep, that's the twelfth. For those who want a refresher, here's what Sentai has picked up so far over the Anime Expo weekend, with more possibly still to come:

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
- Hiiro no Kakera
- Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II
- Hakuoki Reimeiroku
- Mayo Chiki
- Idolmaster Xenoglossia
- Natsuyuki Rendezvous
- Campione
- Arcana Famiglia
- Seikon no Qwaser
- Detroit Metal City
- Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Can post this again.

Funco has no clue on how good she has it right now.

Ok guys, you win. I'll watch Upotte!!

CNGm2.png

Really interested in watching Upotte! now. I was not aware that this was an SDBurton approved series.

You don't need yuri goggles for this show!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
She says "This is the guy I love", basically. She definitely doesn't say "have the hots for", haha.

I should have guessed since "daisuki" is one of the few words I recognise. Silly subbers. Why not use "love" which is far more natural for an eleven year old to say (though that is older than I thought she was).

Still, even though I was watching South Park at that age I doubt I'd have used that phrase. (then again I wasn't hitting on my teachers at 11).

Makoto

ef: A Tale of Memories 12 (FINAL)

Having returned to this show after dropping it at the first episode a few months, this is yet another series that has benefited from the three-episode rule. A Tale of Memories impressed me. Granted, I donned a bombsuit and prepared for a stinker but each episode gradually got better. I mean, everything says this should have been moeshit but you know, things happen in this show.
People confess to each other in less than 10 episodes. They kiss. Sleep in bed naked, implying intercourse. Hey, the characters aren’t even afraid to tell someone how awful their cooking is.
All sustained by solid (albeit a tiny bit fantastical) characterization. The woeful naivety of the characters are setup and demolished and in that sense, the melodrama is pleasing to watch with the exception of
the climax of the Renji/Chihiro plotline, the melodrama in that was pretty awful.

I should have known Shin Onuma directed this. Having directed Baka and Test as well as Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, all of the visual cues are present and accounted for. The abundance of extreme long shots. The occasional split-second extreme close-up. It’s all there and even though it gets what some would consider off-putting sometimes, I think it’s best considered an asset rather than a liability. It keeps you on your feet and elevates an otherwise dull script to higher levels.

With that being said, I am not too keen on the character designs. The extremely narrow eyes, the distractingly large eyes and in some cases, the hair are hard to look at but I got used it as the show progressed (though the ears still distracted me at points). I’m still uncertain whether or not I like the movement animation. It sometimes comes off as robotic or sometimes struggling too much to mimic real life but missing it by way of too many recycled frames.

I’ve not been a Shaft fan at all based on the shows I’ve watched but A Tale of Memories I found to be engaging and a little bit better than it should have been thanks to some solid direction by Shin Onuma. At the moment, I have no idea if I want to commit to the follow-up to Memories.

BluWacky

They just won't stop will they?

They really, really should. I just don't understand how they can make money on most of these releases. It's great to see so much getting licensed so you can legitimately buy it if you like it, but most of the time they just seem to put out any old shit without any thought about what they're actually licensing.

Their website is proudly touting that they have the rights for Cluster Edge, ferchrissakes. I'll cut them some slack for Irohanihoheto (decent enough series although who the hell will buy it?) but Cluster Edge?

Finally back in the land of decent internet connections and I've missed out on most of the last season. So what shows turned to shit in the end and what shows turned out good?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finally back in the land of decent internet connections and I've missed out on most of the last season. So what shows turned to shit in the end and what shows turned out good?

What turned out good

Tsuritama
Kids on the slope
Mysterious girlfriend X
Space brothers

What turned to shit.

Sankarea
Lupin the third

Undecided

Eureka seven AO
Saint seiya omega

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Good:

tsuritama
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Nazo no Kanojo X
Sakamichi no Apollon
Fate/Zero
Space Brothers

Shit:

Fujiko
Sankarea
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Ok:

Natsuiro Kiseki
Acchi Kocchi
Accel World
Upotte!
Zetman
Medaka Box

Amazing:

Shining Hearts
Sengoku Collection
AKB0048

Go_Ly_Dow

good

tsuritama
kids on the slope
fate/zero
hyouka

amazing/horrible depending on your tastes

akb

bad

everything else (most likely)

Unmissable:
Fate/Zero S2
Tsuritama

Recommended:
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Space Brothers

Mostly recommended:
Kids on the Slope (you can stop after episode 7 if you feel like it)
Hyouka (your mileage may very)
Yurumates 3D

Definitely don't watch:
Lupin

duckroll

Tari Tari - Episode 1

That was a pretty fun episode which was really packed with content. They juggled a number of characters and different groups pretty well for a first episode, and handled it mostly without any actual exposition at all. The characters all seem to know each other and are already part of the setting, so it feels more like the first episode of a second season rather than something brand new created just for the audience as a starting point. It's an interesting way to tackle a new high school series, and does feel more natural.

The production values are kinda a mixed bag though, with lots of very obvious inspirations from PA Work's other similar series - Hanasaku Iroha, except the animation isn't as good here and the scene composition and direction isn't as sharp and tight. Nevertheless, the setting seems interesting enough to continue following, and it tackles a musical story theme without that being the specific focus of the pilot. It's pretty refreshing how all the characters have their own hobbies/clubs and personal interests/backgrounds, and aren't forced into specifically obvious archetypes so far. That could change, but if they tackle the theme from the angle of "the appeal of music" I think it could be pretty cool.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here, because the end of the episode was a pretty clever way to tie the characters together without spending the episode itself trying to artificially build relationships between them immediately.

EkNd5.jpg
FfSpn.jpg

D2O8R.jpg
AeQcf.jpg

Saki A Fin 12:
I'm also curious as to the business decision behind the extra episodes as well. I guess this means that studios are able to sell time slots on a per-episode basis? Does this mean that they usually fill that time with the Japanese version of Snuggie and Slap Chop informercials and put anime on instead when someone pays for the slot? Certainly it seems that taking three weeks into that slot means whatever else could have fit in there wouldn't work any more.
I also wonder what it takes to just ramp up and add three more episodes. I guess they're only a couple weeks ahead of each episode airing, but it does seem weird to just throw in some more episodes in the middle of a run anyway.

Still, whatever. More Saki please!
I'll respond to the other part after I watch the episode, but about this, what I saw on 4chan is that the last three episodes might be webcasts, and not on TV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I’ve not been a Shaft fan at all based on the shows I’ve watched but A Tale of Memories I found to be engaging and a little bit better than it should have been thanks to some solid direction by Shin Onuma. At the moment, I have no idea if I want to commit to the follow-up to Memories.
Broken record: you really should watch Natsu no Arashi then.

I'll respond to the other part after I watch the episode, but about this, what I saw on 4chan is that the last three episodes might be webcasts, and not on TV.
Ahhh, they're doing Bakemonogatari then? That makes more sense. :p
Are they going to be delayed for months though? lol

---

Ginga e Kickoff 12
So, as expected:
bg76al.jpg

Although, it just occurred to me how old fashioned a maid who cares more about her employers than her own family (assuming she even has one) really is if you think about it for more than a few seconds.
9wOG1l.jpg

Maybe all servants are just happy to the serve the family and don't care about having their own lives.

Also, this shot made me laugh for some reason:
ihT81l.jpg

I'm not quite sure what to make of the curvature of the shot... but torpedo Reika was just a bit too much for me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom