• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Hyouka 12-14

Duckroll pulled through for me. This is probably the best arc out of this show so far. Not that it was an amazing feat to surpass what came before it or anything, but still!

I like that there's no shitty mistery to contend with since it's been woven into the background rather deftly until now and that for once the characters are off doing their thing in a way that feels natural and actually behaving and reacting appropriately for their age. This is probably one of the most eventful school festivals that I've seen depicted yet. Basically, right now it has all the pros of the beautiful production values and solid direction and minimal amounts of the cons that make it such a goddamned bore to watch usually. Of course, I don't expect this to last, what with the shitty mistery du jour looking like it's gonna be taking center stage next week.

Also, in the span of three episodes I've gone from being squarely on team Chitanda to jumping to team Mayaka and finally to team Slightly Disturbing Astronomy Club Girl. Bestest waifu? I think so!

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, while the new OP is a step up from the previous one, the new ED is fantastic.

cajunator

Banned
PLATINUM HAPPY.

it means super ultra mega hypersquee happy.
My favorite song from Nisemonagatari had the full version release this morning.
Putting platinum before a phrase is kind of a running joke regarding the song because its called Platinum Disco.

Oh and im on episode 20 of SM.

48%

My bad ratings of Lucky ☆ Star, School Days, Death Note + my Love Hina 9 is killing me.

Thats alright.
Being compatible with me may not be a great thing.
I have...unique tastes.

sleepykyo

Oh hell no! You may have an awesome girl in your council, but Yellow conquers all!

yoshinoerikorei0701.jpg

Nope. Forehead brings down Yellow despite ReixYoshino awesomeness.

Narag

Night on the Galactic Railroad or Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru

Ok, so it was more "Early Evening on the Galactic Railroad" for me because that's when I watched it but overall I thought this movie was okay. I'm not sure who to really recommend it to at the moment other than maybe EmmanuelMunoz and Narag if they haven't seen it yet but here are some of my thoughts on it anyway.

I caught it forever ago when I think I saw a post by one of the Central Park Media guys who gushed over it and how it wasn't as well known as it should be. It was enough to sell me on it. Turns out I had an online friend that adored it as well, we convinced a third to buy, and ended up doing a few years of annual simultaneously viewing while lamenting over otter skin coats via various online chats.

Sort of related but a similar gushing post over Arcadia of my Youth by one of the Animeigo guys at the time (if I'm remembering right) sold me on that too. Must have been nice to have been able to license personal projects like that.

As far as the ending
I kind of figured that's what was going on but initially thought maybe it was Giovanni. Details like him having a different ticket and the fellow mentioning he wasn't like the others then made me think he was alive and just visiting, where everyone else is a spirit like thing. You maybe forget but Giovanni mentions Campanella's coat is wet when we first see him on the train to which he responds everyone was trying to get to him and now you realize what it all means. The light even flickers out when he first appears as if to subtly signify a life has been lost.

There's probably some other things I've forgot but if you read this whole things then thanks for your time. :)

I didn't really catch any of that on my first viewing so that ending revelations burned that much more!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
His statement was baffling considering Barrage, Naruto, and Bakuman have some of the best writing in manga, comparable to such masterpieces as Kodansha's Fairy Tail. If JRPGs are comparable to this quality, then they are really greatly written stories such as that of Golden Sun and The Lost Age, Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope, and Eternal Sonata.
Difference being that people don't endure dozens of hours in jRPGs for the plot.

Well, decent people.

Gintama Jump Festa 2005 Special

That looks interesting!

Fun intro to the series, I would say. Gives a brief intro to the series and characters and then we have fun with commercials and games.

This will also be like my third attempt at watching Gintama and I'll probably finish this for sure. Just don't expect me watching anything other than this and whatever's airing for like two seasons.

Ultimadrago

La Maison en Petits Cubes

Another delightful watch introduced from someone in the thread. It was quite a pleasurable short consisting of
memories in life (especially romance)
all displayed within a tangible space created by
adaptive building due to flood (or irrecoverable passage of time)
in the environment. The art style also added to this work in a most positive light.

Thanks Narag for posting on it.

DiGiKerot

Wait did you said : better than dx2 ??
Because Dx1 is the best of all ... How do you rank them ?( haven't seen the new movies yet ).

It's a long while since I've seen DX1, but I guess I'd rank them...

DX3 > NS > DX1 >> DX2

New Stage only really gets a foot-up over DX1 because I'm not super familiar with the pre-Heartcatch Precure shows, though I appreciate that DX1 is really just one cool 45 minute action scene. I should probably give DX2 another chance at some point, but I seem to remember there not being anywhere near enough punching in that one, and that disappointed me.

Also is this the same miracle light as before ? or do they change them each movie ?

They have a different Miracle Light every time they release a movie. God forbid you cheer on the Cures with the wrong movies Miracle Light - they might get their heads bitten off or something!

Nafe

I caught it forever ago when I think I saw a post by one of the Central Park Media guys who gushed over it and how it wasn't as well known as it should be. It was enough to sell me on it. Turns out I had an online friend that adored it as well, we convinced a third to buy, and ended up doing a few years of annual simultaneously viewing while lamenting over otter skin coats via various online chats.

I wondered what the story was with his father. Things seemed just vague enough that I'm not even sure you can infer though.

Sort of related but a similar gushing post over Arcadia of my Youth by one of the Animeigo guys at the time (if I'm remembering right) sold me on that too. Must have been nice to have been able to license personal projects like that.

I think I maybe saw a bit of this in French years ago. I only remember some basic French though, so I pretty much had no idea what was going on.

I didn't really catch any of that on my first viewing so that ending revelations burned that much more!

Yeah, to start with I thought the train ride was
just some kind of fantasy type thing but then with everyone appearing and disappearing like ghosts made me think it was a type of train to some kind of afterlife. When it got to the kids from the boat (Titanic maybe?) it was pretty blunt about it there. Then right at the end with the black hole Campanella said he could see beautiful fields where Giovanni could see nothing. That was when I was sure he was dead. Just after that you find out how and I recalled back to when he first arrived.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, speaking of weird short animated works, what was the name of that OVA that someone watched a while ago that was based on a historical shoujo manga?

Ah, Narag watched it - it was Otome Nadeshiko Koi Techou for anyone else who is curious.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
K-ON 2: The Adventure of Yui 09
Even the grandma is pretty moé.
Yui's got some nice hips for someone who eats so many sweets.
More than anything, Yui should be embarrassed that her handwriting is so grotesque.
Mugi once again proving she's the most mature, even in terms of hats. Only Sawa-chan rivals her classiness.
Wait a moment, is that Yui or Ui? Beautiful dresses anyway. I would buy ten figurines!

This show fills me up with warm feelings in my chest.
The chairs are a metaphor!
They are no spinning roses.

Magic girl lyrical nanoha 1-3

Seems pretty standard, but is a bit... idk. All the males look like they gonna rape someone at anytime. Something is off with MC's hair. And must they really have so many panty shots of this 3rd grader (Someday i won't feel uncomfortable about this, I'm scared T_T). The combat stuff is pretty cool though and am loving the whole scifi/magic twist. Tranformation sequence was also a bit on the longer side (~1 min), and another awkward moment of 3rd grader getting completely nude (naturally).

Anyhow side profile could use some work.

But stuff is occasionally :cajun

cajunator

Banned
Magic girl lyrical nanoha 1-3

Seems pretty standard, but is a bit... idk. All the males look like they gonna rape someone at anytime. Something is off with MC's hair. And must they really have so many panty shots of this 3rd grader (Someday i won't feel uncomfortable about this, I'm scared T_T). The combat stuff is pretty cool though and am loving the whole scifi/magic twist. Tranformation sequence was also a bit on the longer side (~1 min), and another awkward moment of 3rd grader getting completely nude (naturally).

Anyhow side profile could use some work.

But stuff is occasionally :cajun

Honestly shows like this and ro kyu bu would be much better off without the fanservice, but I can still find a lot to like with shows like this.
The fights are incredibly exciting and insane.
The baddies dont fuck around.

Branduil

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

The Hosodacalypse is nigh. None shall be spared from its excellence.

Some of the last third dragged a bit, but the vast majority of it (ending included) is top-class animated cinema that anyone will love if they have a single remotely romantic bone in their body. Bonus points if you think animals are cool.

It's hard for me to recommend it highly enough. You all should see it if it is showing anywhere near you.

I hate you.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, to start with I thought the train ride was
just some kind of fantasy type thing but then with everyone appearing and disappearing like ghosts made me think it was a type of train to some kind of afterlife. When it got to the kids from the boat (Titanic maybe?) it was pretty blunt about it there. Then right at the end with the black hole Campanella said he could see beautiful fields where Giovanni could see nothing. That was when I was sure he was dead. Just after that you find out how and I recalled back to when he first arrived.
For much of the movie I thought it was all just being abstract and mystical. They're on a fantasy train with fantasy rules, and such, like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom