• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I was watching Sherlock just now and I realized that the show has really good narrative and writing. The compelling writing is the intense dialogue, whether it be witty or just amusing, which fills up the show with life. Just thought i oughta make a point of this.
.... but it has good direction too.

Precure AllStars New Stage

As always, I went into this movie properly prepaired...

DHDzU.jpg

I seem to have utilised my Miracle Light improperly, however, as whilst Cure Black certainly appeared on cue, she seemed to be curiously mute...

I don't know, AllStars is a bit of a misnomer for the movie given it mostly focuses on Cure Temporary, there's precious little Heartcatch, and characters prior to Fresh didn't even get so much as stock dialogue. I kind of feel that there wasn't even enough Smile either, even though that series is what the movie was presumably intended to promote.

It was pretty OK, though. I'm not sure how much of that is the sheer awfulness of the Suite Precure movie talking, mind you. Unlike Suite, this at least had some sporadically neat animation and some nice fight scenes. There was also this weird tendency through the movie for no-one to specifically mention exactly how many Cures there were which I took as an amusing running joke about how ludicrous the expanding cast is getting. It's diverting fluff, and honestly, I don't really ask for too much more than magical girls punching things from these movies, and since I also got a headbutt thrown in, I guess I can elevate it's status to "Fun".

It's well below the high watermark of the Heartcatch movie, though. Probably not as entertaining as last years Allstars DX3 either, though that realised that the best way to do these Allstar movies is just to make it one long action scene with franchise fan-service thrown inbetween (though New Stage did at least have a ton of background cameos to spot). It was, however, way better than Allstars DX2.

(I drew at Peace Janken: Movie Edition)

Wait did you said : better than dx2 ??
Because Dx1 is the best of all ... How do you rank them ?( haven't seen the new movies yet ).

Also is this the same miracle light as before ? or do they change them each movie ?

survivor

Banned
Guys im changing my avatar, should I go Heero Yuy or Roy Focker?
Sorry cant decide.

Post both avatars so we can see which one looks better

I was watching Sherlock just now and I realized that the show has really good narrative and writing. The compelling writing is the intense dialogue, whether it be witty or just amusing, which fills up the show with life. Just thought i oughta make a point of this.
I gotta finish watching the second season. I just stopped following it for some reason

Train Detectives Milky Holmes II 06

H9v4B.gif

Making your grand escape.

Fun episode. It was very self contain, there wasn't much wasted time and the whole introduce the aftermath and then works backwards is fun and provided much more comedy than expected. And train mysteries are just fun.

Horizon s2 3

What better way to alleviate a diplomatic crisis than with a SCHOOL FESTIVAL ARC?

Man, Tori really likes being naked this season. He got some clothes, yet STILL somehow lost them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online 2

Zgbik.png

How have you not died from dehydration yet?
The creator gave a 2 hour windows for people to be moved to appropriate facilities.
They are all "sleeping" on a care bed and being forced feed a strange orange liquid ( as food)

This was mainly paid by famillies & the
software company assets.
Dont forget the electrodes to prevent the human muscles to loses their functions.

In short they are fine ( for now )

Nafe

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01

This is a 40 minute OVA from 1987...

I just wanted to say thanks for bringing this to my attention. All that hand drawn mechanical stuff! I'll have to try and check this one out sometime.

My man! You have been very nice and I already said it... but this puts you on whole new level of cool!

It's just nice to know some people don't think I'm crazy for using paper. When the power goes out I can still update! Haha

Always reminds me of this video collection of pieces from such a genius animator:

Hideaki Anno AMV ver1.1 ‐庵野秀明作画担当パート集(微修正版)‐
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-8GstXOD8

I just had to re-post this video. I don't have sound on right now but the visuals are just so good.

I called in the anime of out generation. Is that not enough for you?

Sorry, I missed that but I agree. Actually, I'm pretty sure many in AnimeGaf refer to Strike Witches as the anime of our generation or something close to that. I haven't seen it so I cannot confirm or deny.

Please no. Do you want to be banned within one post like that other guy?

Wow, I missed that. That's got to be the quickest ban I've ever seen on Neogaf.

I AM SO PLATINUM HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

Is that more or less happy than Ultra Happy? Also, out of curiosity, around what episode are you at with Sailor Moon?

I woke up this morning because I was dreaming of aliens by my bed, which is kind of freaky

The mother ship is calling you...
I'm just kidding ;p

Envelope and Izayoi are in an anime now?

I'm a little late to the conversation with being busy but this was what immediately came to my mind as well. Kind of surprised it took so many posts for someone to say it actually.

Anyway, sent all of you guys a friend request on MAL (here's mine), don't be like Mad Pierrot and never accept :(

Where is Mad Pierrot anyway? Is he on vacation or get into a bit of a fight with someone here at NeoGaf that I missed or something?

My compatability with firehawk12 is 79.9%.

tumblr_m5ffr78mff1qgafnno1_250.gif

Nice work Rose Council!

The girl looks kind of familiar. Can you tell me what show she's from?

Milky Holmes II 07

F2pAg.gif

We're reaching Star Driver levels of fabulous here.

So, Henrietta basically snaps.

About time. And it was awesome. The action was pretty awesome, most of it were pretty over the top, which is what this series does well.

Kettch

Accel World 15

I'd managed to get through this pretty well up to now, but this episode was seriously hard to watch. Haru had been moving up the ranks for a while, but this pretty much cemented his place as the worst protagonist of all time. And that's really saying something with all the whiny/idiot/asshole mecha heroes we've gone through over the years.

It sucks because it's a pretty good cyber war game show otherwise, I hate when something so easily remedied destroys a series like this.

Nafe

When you get a unicorn horn up the butt, it takes forever to heal.

Haha, sou desu ne.

Sachiko from Maria-sama ga Miteru.

Thanks! I've got that on my list of shows I'd like to see. I think SDBurton's rose council comment makes more sense now. I remember a few of you picking which girls you were siding with or something.

Narag

La Maison en Petits Cubes

Also known as Tsumiki no Ie, this is a beautiful 12 minute short film about an elderly man who keeps having to build his house upward as water levels continue to rise. Upon his latest addition, he loses his pipe, dons scuba gear to retrieve it, and descends deeper and deeper into his house while recalling memories of the past.

I really enjoyed this and sort of lost myself in it such that when it ended, I was unaware that much time had passed. Seeing his house as he went deeper was kinda sad
as one could see where it grew with his family and contracted on departure of his daughter and the death of his wife.
Looks like this won the Best Short Film Academy Award in 2009 too. How' about that?

Nafe

Night on the Galactic Railroad or Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru

Ok, so it was more "Early Evening on the Galactic Railroad" for me because that's when I watched it but overall I thought this movie was okay. I'm not sure who to really recommend it to at the moment other than maybe EmmanuelMunoz and Narag if they haven't seen it yet but here are some of my thoughts on it anyway.

Like Hitokage mentioned it seemed to have a bit of a slow start but it deals a bit with with astronomy and I really like that stuff and the different themes regarding that, so I didn't find it as bad maybe as others. There's no AstronomyGaf here at NeoGaf is there?

It did kind of remind me of Angel's Egg with it's slow pace and having different scenes where the visuals and music told you the story rather than dialogue, although there is much more dialogue here than in AE.

Talking to Hitokage about recognizing Seiyuu earlier and as soon as I heard the character Campanella I thought "that sounds like Yaten-kun from Sailor Moon Stars" and when he got more lines a little later, sure enough it was.

I like the music in the movie but I thought its use was kind of jarring at times. It was appropriate to the tone of the story but there was often no fade in or out. Many scenes have no music and just environmental noise which I liked and was a different approach to giving a sense of atmosphere but when the music cut in it felt very abrupt and jarring like I mentioned.

The movie gives a good sense of space or environment going from one location to another. I haven't seen the show but it reminded me of Jexhius's post on Marco or 3000 leagues in search of mother where he showed some pictures of the environment as Marco traveled through the town he was in, giving a good sense of continuity. The way the movie had its little title cards made for a good way to do quick time skips too and showed a bit of the fact that the story was adapted from a book.

There was a lot of nice visual details like the reflection in the windows on the train and being this was done in 1985 no CG train! Another little detail I liked was when Giovanni was running past the one person carrying a lamp they moved it from one hand to the other, then back, so he wouldn't bump into it. It's quick and subtle but I like these little details.

A couple of other quick scenes I like are the shadow of the bird when Giovanni is traveling through the wooded area and the use of the shadow of the beetle in the light on board the train.

I wish we got to see Giovanni's sister though. Is she hot? Busty? These are important questions that need answers! :p

As far as the ending
I kind of figured that's what was going on but initially thought maybe it was Giovanni. Details like him having a different ticket and the fellow mentioning he wasn't like the others then made me think he was alive and just visiting, where everyone else is a spirit like thing. You maybe forget but Giovanni mentions Campanella's coat is wet when we first see him on the train to which he responds everyone was trying to get to him and now you realize what it all means. The light even flickers out when he first appears as if to subtly signify a life has been lost.

There's probably some other things I've forgot but if you read this whole things then thanks for your time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom