• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Nope; good writing combined with good storytelling combined with good direction is what makes something compelling.

No, good writing on its own is already interesting and compelling. What else you do with that piece of good writing is another matter altogether. A good script can be made into a bad film. But that script would still be interesting and compelling before it was mauled.

wonzo

Banned
Of course not. Character design's the most important thing in any anime.
yeah, or else you end up with things like this

rkbclock.jpg

fertygo

Technical writing is not comparable to narrative writing. :p

Then how about Goro Miyazaki movie? :p

I think the translation of thing that I wanna to say is "Its good, its make sense, but its friggin' boring" you see a lot case for that.

That not make it bad writing, but its badly told.

duckroll

Then how about Goro Miyazaki movie then?

I think the translation of thing that I wanna to say is "Its good, its make sense, but its friggin' boring" you see a lot case for that.

That not make it bad writing, but its badly told.

Wut? Sorry, you lost me again.

No, good writing on its own is already interesting and compelling. What else you do with that piece of good writing is another matter altogether. A good script can be made into a bad film. But that script would still be interesting and compelling before it was mauled.

You're not taking into account that "interesting" and "compelling" are probably some of the most subjective terms you can use in this discussion.

duckroll

You're not taking into account "interesting" and "compelling" are probably some of the most subjective terms you can use in this discussion.

It doesn't matter because the entire discussion is "subjective" since some people have terrible taste and actively like stuff which is not good anyway. The quantifier of "good" here already suggests that we are evaluating on a scale which appreciates proper quality. Otherwise there is no discussion at all, nothing else anyone says will matter because of subjectivity.

7Th

I guess I just don't view "storytelling" as part of "writing" like most people in this forum do because in my native language, Spanish, they are completely different terms. Writing's equivalent is "escritura", which just means having a good grasp of language; what you do with the language is irrelevant. Storytelling and everything relating to it is "narrativa".

trejo

Yuru Yuri Season 2 1-4

It's basically more of the yurus doing things and occasionally being yuri so yeah, more of the same. It's still amusing but there's nothing much beyond that.

And now for the really important part:

2nd OP > 1st OP

1st ED >>> 2nd ED

duckroll

I guess I just don't view "storytelling" as part of "writing" like most people in this forum do because in Spanish they are completely different terms. Writing's equivalent is "escritura", which just means having a good grasp of language; what you do with the language is irrelevant. Storytelling and everything relating to it is "narrativa".

I'm going to call bullshit on this for a simple reason. If what you say here is true, then how can you comment on the "writing" for any anime or manga? If you really believe that "writing" is just the use of the language which shows a good grasp of it, how can you judge the writing of anything in Japanese since you do not understand the language yourself? You've definitely commented on the writing of many shows in the past, and you also call Mari Okada a bad "writer" but why would you if you really believe that it only refers to the technical aspect of using the language? :)

jman2050

A good show is determined by a mix of objective qualities and subjective qualities and the priorities an individual places on each.

And even then there are exceptions. There will always be exceptions.

7Th

I'm going to call bullshit on this for a simple reason. If what you say here is true, then how can you comment on the "writing" for any anime or manga? If you really believe that "writing" is just the use of the language which shows a good grasp of it, how can you judge the writing of anything in Japanese since you do not understand the language yourself? You've definitely commented on the writing of many shows in the past, and you also call Mari Okada a bad "writer" but why would you if you really believe that it only refers to the technical aspect of using the language? :)

I call Mari Okada a bad writer because "escritor", writer in Spanish, includes "novelist/poet/script-writer" in its semantic context.

duckroll

I'm not interested in getting into a discussion about what specific aspect makes a good anime, because the discussion is a waste of my time. Different people will value different things in an entertainment work compromising of visuals, sound, and story. It is a pointless discussion because it also disrespects the broadness of the production by attempting to champion one factor over another.

What I am interested in getting into, is dispelling the statement that good writing alone does not make something compelling and interesting. That's bullshit because good writing is good writing. If good writing is not compelling and interesting, then it isn't good writing. :p

7Th

Then what was the point of the previous post saying you weren't familiar with this idea?

I'm familiar with the idea, I just lapsed in this particular discussion due to the Shakespeare comments in previous pages.

Besides, "escritor" (writer) and "escritura" (writing) are different words.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
A lot of the examples you give when pressed in this discussion actually have decent to good direction.
Yes, there are more examples of things with good direction and bad writing then the other way around imo.

Lain

Only now have I seen that Angelo Sharpless dunk clip and I was reminded that I need to get back to watch Kuroko's Basket.

Accel World 14

New dude is simply a
blackmailing
asshole? Kind of boring if it's just like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not interested in getting into a discussion about what specific aspect makes a good anime, because the discussion is a waste of my time. Different people will value different things in an entertainment work compromising of visuals, sound, and story. It is a pointless discussion because it also disrespects the broadness of the production by attempting to champion one factor over another.

What I am interested in getting into, is dispelling the statement that good writing alone does not make something compelling and interesting. That's bullshit because good writing is good writing. If good writing is not compelling and interesting, then it isn't good writing. :p
vCFd4.jpg

Anyway, Daria and Home Movies, especially Home Movies, are examples where writing is the star of the show. Not every creative project is of the same mold.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Iczer is good, but stay away from Iczelion because it has a whiny bitch named Nagisa

Although the rest of the characters are awesome and lovely.
Wait, it even has a sequel? lol

It has a Yuri tag? Already know its gonna be good.
You hate Yami though. lol

I cuddle after though, so it's all good.
(What are we talking about again?)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rinne no Lagrange - 02

Love the OP and I'm liking the characters so far. Didn't make a post regarding the first episode, but girls
dropping skirts for each other
was something unexpected and welcomed.

Praying for some yuri to happen.

7Th

Anyway, Daria and Home Movies, especially Home Movies, are examples where writing is the star of the show. Not every creative project is of the same mold.

Home Movies was mostly ad-lib'd... but I guess that also counts as writing in this specific context. A combination of writing and direction, though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
From what I've seen Daria has pretty solid direction and atmosphere in addition to it's fantastic writing. It's not crazy stylistic or anything; but it does very accurately what it's attempting to do.

Only now have I seen that Angelo Sharpless dunk clip and I was reminded that I need to get back to watch Kuroko's Basket.

Accel World 14

New dude is simply a
blackmailing
asshole? Kind of boring if it's just like that.

Nomi is far from boring thus far. I hope he serves as a developmental tool for Taku

Jarmel

Banned
I guess I just don't view "storytelling" as part of "writing" like most people in this forum do because in my native language, Spanish, they are completely different terms. Writing's equivalent is "escritura", which just means having a good grasp of language; what you do with the language is irrelevant. Storytelling and everything relating to it is "narrativa".

Are we talking narrative construction compared to dialogue? Different authors excel at different things, Rowling and Lucas excel at mythos/world building while Martin's specialty is dialogue and overall narrative. They are all examples of writing though.

Oh and what you're talking about is prose which is a very narrow part of writing as a whole.

7Th

Are we talking narrative construction compared to dialogue? Different authors excel at different things, Rowling and Lucas excel at mythos/world building while Martin's specialty is dialogue and overall narrative. They are all examples of writing though.

Oh and what you're talking about is prose which is a very narrow part of writing as a whole.

Like I said, in Spanish "escritura" limits itself to prose. We use "narrativa" for everything else. I understand that in English its different.

Oh yes, Iczer definitely has a sequel.

A shitty sequel.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I was watching Sherlock just now and I realized that the show has really good narrative and writing. The compelling writing is the intense dialogue, whether it be witty or just amusing, which fills up the show with life. Just thought i oughta make a point of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom