• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

explains why shes ugly, i suppose
i mean her nose is under her left eye

5m2tI.gif

Jex

The best show. The cast is so good. Shiro is awesome, Kiki is awesome. Everyone is awesome, including the villains.

I don't know if it's the best show but it's certainly superior to numerous other Gundam shows. I think it helps that it's fairly short and contained.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hyouka 01-03:

This is like watching Michelangelo deciding to paint the side of a barn. An utterly gorgeous show completely bogged down into the realm of boredom. I don't mind shows that are about nothing or go nowhere but there is nothing interesting about this show at all so far, at least have some girls singing or something once in a while. They teased some romantic elements here and there but it looks like it takes too much energy to even bother trying at that.

At least Chitanda is moe to all hell. Definitely the only reason I'm still watching this show.

Firemind

I don't know if it's the best show but it's certainly superior to numerous other Gundam shows. I think it helps that it's fairly short and contained.

I think it's more to do with the protagonists not being teenage wankers with a god complex (Heero), an inferiority complex (Kira) or are just plain mental (Setsuna).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
theres nothing like pedo pandering to remind you that you arent the target audience :|
I guess the fact that the source material was a harem should have been warning enough

Was the source material really a harem? I mean... the dude sort of sticks with one girl all the time and could care less about the other girls.

sonicmj1

Awesome looking Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box II Stuff

http://www.ufotable.com/zerobd2/index.html#bdpresents

Can someone translate? I can't read japanese. I see dates though.

Duckroll will do a better job than I will.

It comes in a huge-ass box. 462 mm tall, 614 mm wide, 62 mm deep.

Seven disks (4 Blu-Rays for the series, one special Blu-Ray, and 2 CDs). Japanese and English subs. Eps 14-25, more of "Onegai Einzbern", trailers, commercials, credit-free OP and ED. 1 CD is a soundtrack, and the other is a drama CD. Plus behind the scenes production materials, interviews, etc. The bonus BR has something called "Fate/Zero Remix 1 & 2", but I'm not sure what that actually is.

Preorders start on the 27th, and it comes out on September 20th. If you preorder you get an awesome staff poster thing that you can see on that page. It's pretty large. I think you can only get it if you preorder at various ufotable locations like their cafes or their website.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Seven disks (4 Blu-Rays for the series, one special Blu-Ray, and 2 CDs). Japanese and English subs. Eps 14-25, more of "Onegai Einzbern", trailers, commercials, credit-free OP and ED. 1 CD is a soundtrack, and the other is a drama CD. Plus behind the scenes production materials, interviews, etc. The bonus BR has something called "Fate/Zero Remix 1 & 2", but I'm not sure what that actually is.

Preorders start on the 27th, and it comes out on September 20th. If you preorder you get an awesome staff poster thing that you can see on that page. It's pretty large. I think you can only get it if you preorder at various ufotable locations like their cafes or their website.

Is this the one that Aniplex will ship to America as well? Or just Japan. T_T

sonicmj1

You'd have to ask Aniplex that. That website is to promote their bonus for preordering from ufotable. The box might only be that big to fit the staff signboard.

EDIT: Yeah, I think you only get the huge box if you preorder.

if Aniplex isn't reverse-importing this one then I really have to wonder what I'm ordering from Right-stuf. If you're talking about the poster thing that's only limited to Japanese retailers :(

Fate/Zero Remixes are the recap episodes of the first season that aired before the second season.

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th MS Team 3

The episode gives further insight into Shiro's philosophy as a leader. Additionally, it goes into how much energy he is willing to expend in su ch a role. His
peeping tom act
from the previous episode also bit him in the ass! I found myself scratching my chin as excess time passed, knowing that it wouldn't bode well for his image within ranks. The trust between Commander Shiro and his teammates is obviously growing (while being stretched simultaneously). He just works it off with a straight-faced apology, doesn't dwell on it too much after the fact. This leads to a neat
underwater
mech scrap (I'll put "underground on my wishlist now)! A pretty awkwardly handled ending though. I thought we'd get a scene where
Kiki decides to join along.
I guess that'll happen next episode or maybe not at all!

The best show. The cast is so good. Shiro is awesome, Kiki is awesome. Everyone is awesome, including the villains.

Look, I'm liking it thus far, but responses are no fun when you oversell it.

well
it was fun while it lasted

I would say that, but I would be lying.

Jarmel

Banned

Is that box for holding the first season too? Why the fuck is it that large?

Speaking of yuri

Saki side A 5

So the baddies of this arc is team data tennis mahjong. 5 eps in I nearly forgot that this was a show about mahjong ha!

The hairs of this show are quite 'creative' compare to the first one though...

wtf is up with the bacon strip on the coach's hair?

Ultimadrago

AKB0048 12

Bullet point time!

-Delicious tears

- This scene:
h3uxD.png

Bahahaaaa!

-Brief glimpse at the Sewer Rats again

- Dammit, Grumbly!

- Imprisoned Papa no Baka: "Nagisa! Thank goodness you're here...have you taken down that poster yet?"*

- Hideous CG vehicles obscured by headlights (and then not obscured)

- More delicious tears

- Dodger being a competitive asshole.
Best member

- People risking their lives for idols.

- CG dancing

It slowed down for most of the latter half, but was still pretty "AKB." Come on, finale, don't let me down!
It's going to be a Kirara explosion, isn't it?

Okay, he didn't really say that.

Lain

Campione 3

Now that's how you make a wet and sloppy kiss look wet and sloppy, with some tongue action.
The explanation behind the kiss is kinda laughable, but I can roll with it if it means more scenes like the one in this episode.
I feel a bit bad for
Athena
though. after the NTR kiss
I'd hope for her to come out of it alive and added to the harem.

Ultimadrago

I don't know. I think it gives a good counterbalance to your nuance. If your intention isn't to invite discourse, then perhaps you should start a blog!

Speaking of, what was that horrible anime blog you used to post around here, again?

Edit: And a comment like, "It's the best. Awesome awesome awesome." doesn't mark any noteworthy discourse to begin with.

Gintamen

Lupin III - Eternal Mermaid [first half]
Die Fujiko, morals, she got none. Is there a movie where she won't sell herself to the next antagonist... I know it's part of her character, yet her tripple dipping, not caring for any casualities, nah.

sonicmj1

Is that box for holding the first season too? Why the fuck is it that large?

As I later realized, that box is to hold the other preorder bonus, which is a gigantic signboard with drawings from the staff. Versions not preordered through ufotable will probably come in a more normal box.

NewFresh

Jorgungand Ep.1-12

I was feeling in the mood for something like Black Lagoon and after seeing a clip of this show in an older MAD video I felt compelled to seek it out.

The series was entertaining, though to be honest, the show was pretty mediocre. It had some interesting moments and lots of violence, so it scratched that itch. The arms dealer plot gave the show plenty of opportunities to place our characters in the heat of battle (Often of their creation).

I made it through all 12 episodes and enjoyed most of it, but I had two major issues. One can be summed up as Double Eyebrows (AKA: Super thick eyelashes), example:

An artistic decision I could not get behind. It's also inconsistent, with only some characters exhibiting this trait.

The second, and I think biggest, issue the show has is a sense of place. What do I mean by this? Well, when a camera changes placement you expect the location of the environment, items, and people, to remain consistent, to give the viewer an idea where everything is in the world. This show fails at this so badly and so often that it becomes infuriating at times. Often it is distance between objects (Which is the easiest to notcie versus an items shifting around). Many times a character will appear to be shooting at something that seems to be 5 feet in-front of them and missing every shot. Then cut to the next angle and they are 50 feet away from each other. Next it cuts back, and we see that they are maybe 10 feet away. It consistently changes this and give no explanation for why an expert marksman can not land a single shot. This also happens to occur most often during action/ gun fight sequences, where this is the most needed. To have a good feeling of what is going on in an action sequence, we (I) need to be able to place everything or else it all falls apart. I will give one example, though there are many:

There is a scene in one of the episodes that takes place at an airport runway. Without giving anything away regarding what/why/how, the pictures should demonstrate what I am talking about.

Hhp6I.jpg

Here is the runway. We know where the plane is with regards to everything around it.

tOnb6.jpg

A car arrives and parks relatively close to the plane.

0GFqW.jpg

(Ignore the blood)

Now there is also a truck, but the cars placement is consistent with the last picture.

y7OGr.jpg

Holy shit! How did everything fly back all the way over there!

So it's an entertaining show, kind of a Black Lagoon lite. Basically if you enjoy the first episode it's just that repeated.

Jorgungand Ep.1-12
So it's an entertaining show, kind of a Black Lagoon lite. Basically if you enjoy the first episode it's just that repeated.

I dont think I would wholly agree, a few episodes in the middle were kind of a bit of drag since I think there was one or two that actually lacked compelling action, there was always at times less of an emphasis on Jonah, and the Velmet arc was..not particularly fully entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom