• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

In general, 2ch’s brand of conservatism is mostly an identity politics based in populist resentment against other minorities — women, zainichi Koreans, Asians, gays, new religions, the poor, outcast populations — who are seen to be given an unfair attention from the government and society.

Your link basically reaffirms some Japanese people are racist and xenophobic. You want points for this?

Novid

Banned
That's kind of ridiculous. Although I am a right winger so hmm...
But I'm not Japanese either, so I don't count towards this theory anyway :p

well i see it this way, there has been 5 good right leaning authors in the us and the uk. the rest have been from the left. there is no consperiscy about that issue. the rest of the right leaning authors dont know how to write a christian hero without droping the god bomb every 5 words, and are too busy worrying which sicko is going to go in there daughters pants. thats the sad truth.

Morris

Disco Devil
Ace wo Nerae! 1 - 3

83tZ6.png

Hiromi = Kaoru-no-kimi + Nanako.
Ochoufujin = Miya-sama~ ... They're IDENTICAL.
Kyoko = That one girl who hated Nanako.

This show is awesome. Oni coachie is a fucking badass. The whole thing is so similar to Oniisama e it's not even funny, and I love that.

cajunator

Banned
well i see it this way, there has been 5 good right leaning authors in the us and the uk. the rest have been from the left. there is no consperiscy about that issue. the rest of the right leaning authors dont know how to write a christian hero without droping the god bomb every 5 words, and are too busy worrying which sicko is going to go in there daughters pants. thats the sad truth.

What about us right wingers who don't worry about all that shit?

Narag

CajUC.png

BluWacky

lol, its not that i wanted points. its that the truth comes out finally.

But your constant assertion that otaku are all the sons of fatcat businessmen and politicians isn't backed up by the news post.

I'm not saying there's no link between conservative views and moe otaku. The "revelation" that predominantly rural Japanese are also xenophobic and don't like benefit scroungers is hardly a shock, however - that's a stereotype. This is a country where not only is the leading conservative political party called the liberal party, but was in power for FIFTY FOUR YEARS.

Jex

Well, it was my continued attempts to try and watch this series. I would try and start this series, get somewhere in, something else comes up and I would forget where I am completely and the cycle continues. Hopefully this time will be the last time I see episode 1 and 2.
Not to sound like some kind of killjoy but I think it's pretty safe to say that there was no need for you to revisit them. It's not like forgetting the event's that transpired in these episodes would make it impossible to follow the rest of the show because you lacked knowledge of the lore.

Novid

Banned
But your constant assertion that otaku are all the sons of fatcat businessmen and politicians isn't backed up by the news post.

I'm not saying there's no link between conservative views and moe otaku. The "revelation" that predominantly rural Japanese are also xenophobic and don't like benefit scroungers is hardly a shock, however - that's a stereotype. This is a country where not only is the leading conservative political party called the liberal party, but was in power for FIFTY FOUR YEARS.

Oh that? I didnt say that all modern day Otaku are the sons of the fatcats. I said those that prop the business up have to have some form of very large funds - larger than the "lower end" of otaku (which makes the majority).

The other assertaion is dealt with that Bill 156 - because Isharara was biting the hand that feeds him. Thats what i ment.

Not to sound like some kind of killjoy but I think it's pretty safe to say that there was no need for you to revisit them. It's not like forgetting the event's that transpired in these episodes would make it impossible to follow the rest of the show because you lacked knowledge of the lore.

Nah, I know the pointlessness of rewatching the earlier episodes. It's just more fun watching it all in one go instead of guessing where I left off. And, I really don't think I ever really got that far in each attempt anyway.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Outside America "liberalism" refers to liberalized economics, which is more free market.

cajunator

Banned
Oh that? I didnt say that all modern day Otaku are the sons of the fatcats. I said those that prop the business up have to have some form of very large funds - larger than the "lower end" of otaku (which makes the majority).

The other assertaion is dealt with that Bill 156 - because Isharara was biting the hand that feeds him. Thats what i ment.

A lot of people who are otaku obviously have considerable funds to afford the crazy amount of stuff that they seem to have. They either have a great job, live paycheck by paycheck with massive debt, or leech off wealthy parents. Considering that a lot of them are socially inept I don't see them having a good enough job to pay for all that stuff, so they are either constantly broke or have a money pot.

Geneijin

Uh, you do realize you can live such a lifestyle on a typical pay from a fast food job, right? It's really not that hard.

Jex

Speaking of Hyouka's godly visuals, there's one scene I really like in the fourteenth episode. It's the one where Mayaka (she seems to be the heroine of my favourite sceenes, for whatever reason) is dashing to get from the manga society to the cooking contest. I really like how lively and, forgive me, animated, her running is. I mean, it's no Millenium Actress or anything but it's still pretty damn great:

Hyouka141.jpg
Hyouka142.jpg

Hyouka143.jpg

This amazing, and brief, shot of an umbrella rack is just the icing on the cake:

Hyouka144.jpg

Damn those are some fine umbrellas.

Jex

Stop. Trying. To Hook Me Back. On Hyouka. I already have too much KyoAnishit on the table.

It's only one episode a week, dude. You can skip straight to episode 12 (actually, I have no idea if you can, that's just how I did it).

I am sure firehawk12 will scold you if follow my example.

El Sloth

Banned
Guys, is the Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai anime any good? Quick google search shows me it uses the inferior art style.

Why are there different versions anyways

Guys, is the Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai anime any good? Quick google search shows me it uses the inferior art style.

I enjoyed it. It's a basic harem series really, but most of the characters are likable and they get into fun situations such as the MonHun clone and in a dating sim.

Incoming Meat vs Yozora debate go!

Jex

I think it's more to do with the protagonists not being teenage wankers with a god complex (Heero), an inferiority complex (Kira) or are just plain mental (Setsuna).

Well, to be fair, Gundam has sucked since the original series so it's not even (excursively) the fault of the more recent iterations.

jman2050

It's dumb, stupid and fun haremshit. Which is a lot better than dumb, stupid, and boring haremshit to be sure. I liked it for what some may consider questionable reasons but I'd recommend checking it out even ignoring those.

Meat >>>>>>>>>>> Yozora

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

If you're fine with a harem anime that xeroxes several pages from The Melancholy of Suzumiya but without the super-powers, a goth-loli Imouto and a loli-nun, a trap, an awesomely horny scientist, Meat, and a bully main heroine, go for it!

Speaking of Hyouka's godly visuals

Great post. KyoAni's attention to detail is currently unsurpassed.

BluWacky

Outside America "liberalism" refers to liberalized economics, which is more free market.

I'm a Brit - to me "liberal" means Liberal Democrats, theoretically the most central of all parties, and more of a social liberalism than economic, but I get your point.

My Japanese isn't good enough to know whether there's more of a nuance to 自由 in 自由民主党 than just "freedom" - I also know next to nothing about Japanese politics beyond the revolving door of prime ministers - but I think the point still stands that this is not a country known for "progressive" thinking in any walk of life, let alone the rural otaku who make up the primary readership of the 2ch aggregator Novid's article was talking about.

It's only taken eight years.

Fixed.

Where were you all when the show aired :( When Bandai announced the license before FChildren was broadcast, people thought they meant the recently airing MegaTen Devil Children TV show!

I can't find the artbook I bought, but I do own both volumes of the manga. DO NOT READ THE MANGA. It is an abomination that should not have been brought into this world.

El Sloth

Banned
Lots of love, huh. I'm already reading the superior comic version, but I guess I'll check it out in couple months when I feel like going through the series again.

Meat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yozora. There isn't even any competition.

Yozora would be Best Girl in any other series though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom