• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I dont think I would wholly agree, a few episodes in the middle were kind of a bit of drag since I think there was one or two that actually lacked compelling action, there was always at times less of an emphasis on Jonah, and the Velmet arc was..not particularly fully entertaining.

I feel as if the show is incomplete, or rather, it feels as if there isn't a consistent story throughout. Almost as if this were the setup for the "real show". Maybe the manga is better realized? I actually think that the episode where Koko is dealing with the other female arms dealer trying to sell the UAV's was really entertaining. That episode really didn't have more than 2 seconds of action in it.

Tempted to check Jormugand now.

I find it hard to straight up recommend. It's not great but it's not terrible. I think I was craving a hamburger and then this hamburger showed up just at the right time. If I was in the mood for a steak, this wouldn't have cut it.

I hope that makes sense.

Jormungand makes me a little sad. I love the manga but the anime feels so rushed. 11 volumes are a little too much for 24 episoes.
But everytime they had enough time for an arc like in episode 2 or the background story of Jonah it was pretty neat.

BluWacky

Why do Japanese create music videos about something that isn't at all related to song?

This isn't a Japanese thing, it's how the music industry rolls.

Speaking of music videos, the full PV has premiered for Maaya Sakamoto's More Than Words, the theme song for the Code Geass OVA. The single was released today - unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available on iTunes :(

It's a Kanno/Iwasato collaboration so the lyrics are half-decent and the music is unsurprisingly good.

Looking forward to getting to hear Ichiko Hashimoto's soundtrack work on the OVA as well. Aside from the Fujikoike OP it's been too long since she's done anime work.

Narag

I
I find it hard to straight up recommend. It's not great but it's not terrible. I think I was craving a hamburger and then this hamburger showed up just at the right time. If I was in the mood for a steak, this wouldn't have cut it.

I hope that makes sense.

Yeah I wouldn't prioritize but it seems like it'd scratch a particular itch next time I have one like you said.

DiGiKerot

thanks for the impressions ..i was disapointed in Dx2 for the same reasons, dx3 was better but i don't like the suite cast/powers/universe, i guess i should quickly watch NS ASAP.

Also i kinda expected them to change the lights each movie ..i hope the light don't cost too much
It should be funny to watch a screening where the room is lighted by those during screen time

If you specifically don't like Suite, then NS will probably annoy the hell out of you, unfortunately. They get a fairly significant portion of the screen time.

As for the light, it didn't cost me much in itself as I got it as a pre-order bonus for importing the BD - I've got a Miracle Light for four out of the last five movies, the one I'm missing being that for the Suite Precure movie. Another reason to hate that movie, I guess - it's particularly bad given how much time it devotes up-front to explaining in great detail how to correctly utilise your Miracle Light. Damn movie was taunting me, I tell ya.

The one for the Heartcatch movie is probably the best of the ones I've got, because instead of having a cheap bit of light-up plastic stuck on the top of it, it actually projects a floral symbol on the wall. Which isn't really all that impressive, but, hey, it's different!

Speaking of music videos, the full PV has premiered for Maaya Sakamoto's More Than Words, the theme song for the Code Geass OVA. The single was released today - unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available on iTunes :(

And speaking of Code Geass, it would appear that Nunnally in Wonderland is shipping.

DiGiKerot

Aww, this is disappointing to hear :/

Yeah. New Stage was a bit weird as far as even the AllStars movies go in as much as it's actually about the movie only character, meaning she ends up getting way more screentime than any of the actual Cures.

Of course, being an AllStars movie, the lions share of Cure attention is on the last two shows - Suite and Smile - but the Smile cast don't really get all that much to do beyond the action scenes outside of Happy, and even when fisticuffs are going on Suite have a habit of being the first on scene. Most of the Pre-Suite characters basically only get brief cameos (anyone pre-Fresh doesn't even get stock dialogue!).

It's disappointing after DX3 spread attention far more evenly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I hope that makes sense.
It's a show where the direction potentially ruins an otherwise okay premise/story.

duckroll

Trigger will be the new GAINAX.

BELIEVE

Did someone say Trigger?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201207/26018471.html

Directed by Akira Amemiya, animated by Trigger! (More at the link!)

pNs2v.jpg
a6cNT.jpg

1nyXh.jpg
270aZ.jpg

hteIm.jpg
MeqMq.jpg

6SnVs.jpg
YzNrT.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I'll do it tonight after I get back from work D:

Did you already do yours?

Unfortunately, not yet. I'm a bad procrastinator, but at least I have an idea for it.

Awesome looking Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box II Stuff

http://www.ufotable.com/zerobd2/index.html#bdpresents

Can someone translate? I can't read japanese. I see dates though.

That looks pretty badass, but considering that the US version of boxset 2 is going to be cheaper than the first, thats not what we're getting.

Duckroll will do a better job than I will.

It comes in a huge-ass box. 462 mm tall, 614 mm wide, 62 mm deep.

Seven disks (4 Blu-Rays for the series, one special Blu-Ray, and 2 CDs). Japanese and English subs. Eps 14-25, more of "Onegai Einzbern", trailers, commercials, credit-free OP and ED. 1 CD is a soundtrack, and the other is a drama CD. Plus behind the scenes production materials, interviews, etc. The bonus BR has something called "Fate/Zero Remix 1 & 2", but I'm not sure what that actually is.

Preorders start on the 27th, and it comes out on September 20th. If you preorder you get an awesome staff poster thing that you can see on that page. It's pretty large. I think you can only get it if you preorder at various ufotable locations like their cafes or their website.

Thats pretty awesome. I can live without a signboard though.

I always knew you were a nakama.

If only you liked yuri then I could get rid of a certain somebody.

I always give shows a fair shot, even with predispositions.

Nanoha 4

nyaa.jpg

I don't even.

Oh yes, the cat. I forgot about the cat. I think its a cat.

Utena 1

Roses.

Everywhere.

Also
waifu
get, in the very first eps?

This show is truly revolutionary.

You have embarked on an incredible journey. Your body isn't ready. Its NEVER ready.

Jex

[Hyouka] - 13

I know this aired a million years ago, in Internet-Time, but I really wanted to revisit one particular scene.

During the course of this episode one of the main characters in the series, Mayaka, gets into a rather nerdy argument about the value of manga with one of the members of the school's manga society. Mayaka argues that manga can have some worth outside of being disposable entertainment. To defend her case she cites one particular work that really touched her. Later on we see her searching her bedroom in a ultimately fruitless attempt to locate her copy of the work in question.

Even though she never finds what she's looking for we get a brief flashback depicting what happened when she first read this manga:

Hyouka131.jpg
Hyouka132.jpg

Hyouka133.jpg
Hyouka134.jpg

I really have to tip my hat to the director of this episode for conveying, through visuals, how Mayaka felt when she read this manga that left such an impression on her. This is far more effective than, say, having Mayaka tell her friend that she really enjoyed reading it, or whatever.

It's interesting to note how smoothly they're able to change from portraying things naturalistically and instead portray them subjectively. We in the audience instantly know that the manga isn't actually shooting out rays of light which full up the room, we understand that it's just a visual metaphor.

The story follows a "time researcher" and a group of children in a depopulated world that finds itself stuck in time. In order to save humanity, some of the characters are chosen to travel to the future (depicted in the anime), and others to the past (depicted in the manga), while those who are deemed unsuitable for the technology stay in the present (depicted in the novel.)
Read more at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...an-arata-naru-sekai-anime#WBiKOWyA6zCx5OwB.99

I hope you don't need to read the manga or novel to enjoy the show.

Why does that site always have a K-on yuri banner of the two worst girls?

A trick question?

Branduil

[Hyouka] - 13

It's interesting to note how smoothly they're able to change from portraying things naturalistically and instead portray them subjectively. We in the audience instantly know that the manga isn't actually shooting out rays of light which full up the room, we understand that it's just a visual metaphor.

I think it helps when your naturalistic mode is so well-executed and consistent.

Gintama 01-02

You may after 400+ chapters.

So, the first two episodes that basically introduces everyone and everything. I think this is my third or fourth time seeing this and while I am already acquainted with the Gintama world I can see why this probably isn't that great of a first episode. It's long, the comedy is pretty sparse as well as the action. Characters are introduced left and right without really explaining anything and the plot isn't even that interesting. But, at least its time to start Gintama!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gintama 01-02

So, the first two episodes that basically introduces everyone and everything. I think this is my third or fourth time seeing this and while I am already acquainted with the Gintama world I can see why this probably isn't that great of a first episode. It's long, the comedy is pretty sparse as well as the action. Characters are introduced left and right without really explaining anything and the plot isn't even that interesting. But, at least its time to start Gintama!

And the first 2 episodes of Gintama were the 2 worst eps. Can't believe you'd watch it 4 times!

And the first 2 episodes of Gintama were the 2 worst eps. Can't believe you'd watch it 4 times!

Well, it was my continued attempts to try and watch this series. I would try and start this series, get somewhere in, something else comes up and I would forget where I am completely and the cycle continues. Hopefully this time will be the last time I see episode 1 and 2.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Did someone say Trigger?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201207/26018471.html

Directed by Akira Amemiya, animated by Trigger! (More at the link!)
HOOK IT UP MY VEINS

[Hyouka] - 13

I know this aired a million years ago, in Internet-Time, but I really wanted to revisit one particular scene.

During the course of this episode one of the main characters in the series, Mayaka, gets into a rather nerdy argument about the value of manga with one of the members of the school's manga society. Mayaka argues that manga can have some worth outside of being disposable entertainment. To defend her case she cites one particular work that really touched her. Later on we see her searching her bedroom in a ultimately fruitless attempt to locate her copy of the work in question.

Even though she never finds what she's looking for we get a brief flashback depicting what happened when she first read this manga:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Hyouka131.jpghttp://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Hyouka132.jpg
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Hyouka133.jpghttp://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Hyouka134.jpg

I really have to tip my hat to the director of this episode for conveying, through visuals, how Mayaka felt when she read this manga that left such an impression on her. This is far more effective than, say, having Mayaka tell her friend that she really enjoyed reading it, or whatever.

Stop. Trying. To Hook Me Back. On Hyouka. I already have too much KyoAnishit on the table.

survivor

Banned

Yep, anime designs are much better

The whole LN/manga/anime thing they are doing for this project is pretty cool but I have a feeling reading the other stuff will be required to get the whole story and the manga/LN probably won't be translated.

Gintama 01-02

Is there a Bluray release of Gintama? I heard they're doing HD remasters of it, how much have there been remastered yet?

I don't think that neither the novel nor the anime character designs are that great. I prefer the anime style though.

Yakusa (? 八草) is kind of cute

Is there a Bluray release of Gintama? I heard they're doing HD remasters of it, how much have there been remastered yet?

They did start airing Yorinuki Gintama-san, which are basically high-def with new ops and eds of reruns of Gintama episodes. But, it looks like they were airing random episodes or without any real progress and I can't find how many episodes did they even air.

Nafe

I was wondering if he was actually going to get that milk!

Kind of late to this one but yeah, when he told Campanella on the train
"let's be together forever!"
, I thought "Hey! What about your mother and the milk she needs?! Jerk."

Actually that scene was
another potential death flag to me. I was getting Madoka Episode 3 type vibes from it.

I think he is talking about older series. Fairy Tale for example has blu releases while OP don't(but probably will).

A 110 episode OVA called Legend of the Galactic Heroes even got a blu release.

I was actually talking about super long running as in 200+ episode shows, but FT is bound to get there eventually, so I guess I'm wrong.

Novid

Banned
I think he is talking about older series. Fairy Tale for example has blu releases while OP don't(but probably will).

A 110 episode OVA called Legend of the Galactic Heroes even got a blu release.

However, they used the DVD masters and not a new one because the group dont have the MILLIONS to put that stuff in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom