• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Heartcatch Precure 12

Figured I'll get back to whittling away at this too. Tsubomi's rather evil too what with her "To make them love again, I must first teach them fear."

Show should just be about Erika against Kumojacky every week.

NWp9xl.png

Ultimadrago

E7 AO 11

That was pretty wild. Lots of mysterious happenings this week, definitely looking forward to episode 12.

Also, what was up with that CG car at the end? Come on Bones.

Even with all that transpired, it was the "DJ record scratch" moment of the episode.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sankarea 10

Oh, here we go. After 6 episodes of pure bullshit, they decide to make things interesting once again.

So Rea's father
was a crazy, annoying paedophile right from the beginning. That's kind of a surprise. Well, I'm glad the people behind the manga/show had the decency to not show the 15-year old girl dying after giving birth (because, let's face it, she was totally still just a 15-year old girl at the time).

Also, Chihiro, what the fuck, dude?
How can you refuse dat milf, man?

duckroll

E7 AO 11

That was pretty wild. Lots of mysterious happenings this week, definitely looking forward to episode 12.

Also, what was up with that CG car at the end? Come on Bones.

The funniest part about the CG car is how heavily cel-shaded it was. It looked like it came right out of a videogame with relatively good production values, except it just looked... wrong in the show. It wasn't even a background shot either, but a front camera shot. Kinda hilarious.

Knock another one off the "Crunchyroll simulcast -> Sentai" pile, because Sentai licensed Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

Most of the shows they're grabbing from summer are going to be 2013 home video releases anyway.

So that's the 14th show? Maybe they'll make it to 15 after all! Lol.

Hyouka 11
tumblr_m6icniAfbA1qb4toho1_500.gif

I really liked the first three or so minutes. Really, the best part of the episode was the private scene with Houtarou and Satoshi which really worked well in setting the tone for the rest.
It was pretty distressing as even his best friend questioned him, yet promised that he'd believe in him if he believed in it. I liked that, best friends willing to support each other. All that inner turmoil made for something really emotional, almost like he needed a hug.

But on the actual plot,
What an interesting and unforeseeable solution. Something is wrong with the girl and probably, Im guessing his sister if that was whom he was in contact with, if they went through this huge effort to try to do something with Houtarou, stressing him as well as Satoshi and the others out. Which speaking of Satoshi, these episodes keep implying as if there is something under the service with him.

duckroll

The imagery I'm seeing in my mind is an area filled with the BDs of the shows from this summer and Sentai controlling one of those balls from Katamari Damacy, just rolling everything up.

They probably won't reach 15 shows today, though. The pattern for yesterday, which they were matching today, was a new announcement roughly every two hours, from 10am to 6pm PDT.

It's really hilarious that they're steamrolling announcements during the AX period despite not actually being at the convention. It's even funnier when you consider that they claimed that FUNimation is in violation of Texas state anti-trust laws for being “”dangerously close to” achieving a monopoly in domestic anime distribution. Looool.

Requiem from the Darkness 4

Once again another episode without much horror or real mystery. While the story and characters involved were fucked up, it didn't really have any unsettling moments.

I'm startling to feel a bit let down here.

Ultimadrago

Sankarea 10

Also, Chihiro, what the fuck, dude?
How can you refuse dat milf, man?

And take advantage of a
woman craving for affection from anything with a penis
?

...yeah, he should have went for it. But you know, young teenage MC syndrome and all.

Instro

The funniest part about the CG car is how heavily cel-shaded it was. It looked like it came right out of a videogame with relatively good production values, except it just looked... wrong in the show. It wasn't even a background shot either, but a front camera shot. Kinda hilarious.

You'd think they were trying to draw attention to it considering it drives right at the screen...the car must have some significance in the show!

duckroll

You'd think they were trying to draw attention to it considering it drives right at the screen...the car must have some significance in the show!

Maybe it's CG because it's part of what's "wrong" with the world! Could Truth have created it?! :eek:

Okay, now I'm predicting this anime impressions journey will be about madpierrot wishing bad upon the males of the show so that they can't touch his new waifu!

Depends on the other action-y shows that have yet to air and which waifu he would choose at the end to protect.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 11

Good episode. I liked seeing
Houtarou panic while defending his theory to Satoshi and rage while talking with Irisu. So I guess Irisu just thought the script sucked and wanted a more exciting one? I wonder how she got in contact with Houtarou's sister.

Finally heard the english dub preview for Tiger & Bunny...they could have had Kotetsu's voice be a bit different than Renji's, I just can't get Renji out of my head when I hear him and see the character on screen. Otherwise nice dub, thus far...wish I could hear Bunny's better.

Branduil

TBH you could watch that without subs pretty easily. It's not like the plot makes sense/matters and the words will just distract you from the pretty animation.

Also that font is offensive.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tari Tari 1

This is nice.

When I see this show's visuals I can't help but think that this is how Natsuiro Kiseki should've looked like. They have a somewhat smooth look to them. The character design is also pretty good.

The teacher suggesting some future yuri action was smooth as hell.

Above all that, though, was the realization brought by this debut episode that none of the girls are stupid. Amazing.

Also...

[Redacted] doesn't even begin to describe it.

Seems like this will be my choice in terms of slice of life this summer.

Averon

Hyouka 11

Poor Oreki. Being
manipulated by Irisu to write a script she wanted. Pretty girl fluffing up your ego
. My only confusion was who was Irisu chatting with online.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 11

Poor Oreki. Being
manipulated by Irisu to write a script she wanted. Pretty girl fluffing up your ego
. My only confusion was who was Irisu was chatting with online.

I think it was
Oreki's sister going by halfway across the world comment and calling Oreki an idiot.

I think it was
Oreki's sister going by halfway across the world comment and calling Oreki an idiot.

I think so too,
Ibara would be the only other cast character I could see calling Oreki that...but she isnt halfway around the world and that wouldnt make much other sense. Why would his sister do that though, is she that attached to the club and making sure it doesnt fizzle out that she needed him and the group to do more than just an anthology?

Makoto

Tari Tari 1

This is nice.

When I see this show's visuals I can't help but think that this is how Natsuiro Kiseki should've looked like.
Well now you've got me imagining what Natsuiro Kiseki would have looked like with that art style.

And now I'm sad. Thanks a lot.

What the

Did anything ever come out on budget or whatnot as to why they compressed this series down to 12 episodes? My wife was totally enjoying it until the last ep where I had to explain how the show basically dumped 1+ volumes on the floor to finish it up.

Still great, but just...a missed opportunity in a way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 01:

fjkbJl.jpg

Yeah, that's a modern CEO alright.

Much has been said about the bizarre humor already, so I won't touch on it too much except to say that, aside from a couple of extremely out there moments, the majority of the comedy is less physical, more situational, and results from the somewhat ludicrous nature of the setting that the protagonist has been thrown into. The protagonist--I'm not sure she was ever given a name--is a font of fun dialogue, inner monologues, and constant exasperation at the difficulty of her job. I think that the current mix of physical and situational humor works and I'm currently cautiously optimistic that the series will continue to have entertaining output.

I also found Jinrui somewhat stimulating from a visual standpoint. It has a saturated look, floral color palette, Madoka-like use of pencil sketching in pupils, and interesting line art that is thin, retains a slight hand-drawn imperfection, and uses browns instead of blacks. It's an appealing mix that sets the show apart and manages to emphasize the atmosphere of a post-industrial earth being slowly reclaimed by nature. The backgrounds heavy with gentle decay and bucolic scenery are pleasant and somewhat belie the grim revelation that mankind is inexorably headed toward extinction.

I'm no big fan of the fairies and the moral on natural vs. synthetic is pretty well telegraphed in advance, but neither of these appear to be truly important elements of the show at present.

Also, the ED is niiiiiiiiiiiice.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think so too,
Ibara would be the only other cast character I could see calling Oreki that...but she isnt halfway around the world and that wouldnt make much other sense. Why would his sister do that though, is she that attached to the club and making sure it doesnt fizzle out that she needed him and the group to do more than just an anthology?

It's more like she's trying to test Oreki's ability and making sure he's not being stupid in his intellectual growth and prowess.

Narag

Sailor Moon S Movie

Tuxedo Mask's entrance was excellent as was the Snow Dancer not having a clue single what he was giving his speech about. Really liked this given the sad focus on Luna even if it did feel like an 2 part tv ep. It felt much more character focused than the R movie did.

Dat helmet.
Luna at her cutest.
Yesssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom