• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh, so this is stuff from that so-called materialized Zanpakutou arc?

I'm a little relieved.

Yup. In fact, that entire arc is a treasure trove of truly appalling character design:

Tbj3z.png

Search for full versions of any of these if you dare.

Huh, this is from Bleach? I totally thought this was some filler Fairy Tail villain.

I'm now very frightened for when I work up the courage to watch more Fairy Tail.

Materialized Zanpaktou was the best Bleach filler, they had hilarious personalities and really good action scenes.

Fairy Tail has good villain designs Seigrain
Jellal
, Lyon for two, oh and even the dark mage Zeref.

Ultimadrago

Yup. In fact, that entire arc is a treasure trove of truly appalling character design:

Gah! The flashbacks of when I watched the materialized Zanpaktou arc...

they're returning!

Stop the pain...

Stop the pain...

Thoraxes

MGX - 13

Kinda a somber and disappointing ending to this. I did enjoy more of his sister, but I wish she had more time earlier instead of this episode feeling shoehorned on.

The ride was moderately enjoyable and relatively consistent throughout, so no complaints here.

I'm now very frightened for when I work up the courage to watch more Fairy Tail.
really liked Sode no Shirayuki and Senbonzakura but that was about it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

What the hell.

Well, I guess Ashigogijizo's and Hyourinmaru's designs are fitting. Others like Haineko and Senbonzakura, though... Wow. So freaking random.

Phi Brain 2 - 13
tumblr_m6ii689LnK1qb9i9c.png

I like this puzzle, S.J, Slide Junction
nice play on the initials later on when it was just revealed to be Jikukawa Souji senpai's name, nice.
. It was fun and carried the charm I expected from him and Kaito's silly face.

It brought up an interesting question of what would happen if Kaito had it as well as who would be able to save him. Thus far in the series only perhaps Rook or Nonoha could fit that roles.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gah! The flashbacks of when I watched the materialized Zanpaktou arc...

they're returning!

Stop the pain...

Stop the pain...

It's not all bad! You still have the most excellent Fullbring arc to go through whenever you decide to bring your Bleach journey to a definitive end.

:[
I guess I'm too used to by terrible character designs now. I thought they were pretty cool.

You can always watch the filler arc with this fucker if you want to know if you're truly too far gone:

DwqQo.png

What the hell.

Well, I guess Ashigogijizo's and Hyourinmaru's designs are fitting. Others like Haineko and Senbonzakura, though... Wow. So freaking random.

Yeah, Ashisogijizo looks okay because he's pretty much just Konjikiashisogijizo's face slapped on a body, and Hyourinmaru isn't so bad but my memory is tainted with the incredibly dumb interaction he had with Histsugaya in that arc.

The only design that I thought was good was Kazeshini, you kind of have to see him in motion to get it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tari Tari 1

Pretty solid, this didn't exactly blow me away from a direction and animation perspective, but I definitely enjoyed the laid-back slice-of-life atmosphere, and the character interactions, which was the biggest surprise about the series thus far, if they can keep up the good chemistry of the cast, it would definitely be enough to keep me tuned in every week.

Plus there's potential there for a kurenai-esque musical episode based on the premise so far. Let's hope something like that happens in the series later on!

I definitely don't see this reaching the heights of Hanasaku Iroha at this point though. But it has potential to be more consistent! I didn't notice any "silly" fan-service.;o haft to wait till episode 3 before making that judgement though lulz.

Articalys

Tari Tari 1

Pretty much everyone else in the world has already made most of the talking points I was going to, including the Iroha/Natsuiro similarities, so I'll just get right to the two other things worth mentioning:

1) Were there always this many shows taking place in Enoshima and I just never noticed until Tsuritama came along?
2) Konatsu is amazing.

I actually like Hyourinmaru's design there.

You shouldn't be. There's only one extended filler arc which is going on now, and the villains just happen to be retreads of earlier villains (one being a gender swapped version).

:[
I guess I'm too used to by terrible character designs now. I thought they were pretty cool.

I'm mostly neutral on them. I don't really think they're ugly or anything for the most part like everyone else does.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Who does these? I see this art style a lot. Linebarrels, and Heroic Age are the most recent ones I can think of. It's like everyone's wearing eye-liner.

Hirai Hisashi. Beside what's already been mentioned, Soukyuu no Fafner, s-CRY-ed, Gin-iro no Olynsis, and Mugen no Ryvius all bear his character designs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 11:

I really liked this episode, especially the beginning where things were pretty tense as each of the club members point out the flaws of Oreki's reasoning, despite the outcome being quite enjoyable anyway. Some nice character development for Oreki. It was nice seeing him struggle through his feelings on the subject, seeking closure and in doing so discovering what Hongou-senpai had actually wanted.

I like it. This show is masterful at setting the atmosphere in scenes, esp. exposition. And seeing Oreki actually angry was very interesting.

Uchip

Banned
You shouldn't be. There's only one extended filler arc which is going on now, and the villains just happen to be retreads of earlier villains (one being a gender swapped version).

even the canon ones look like deviant art fan made designs
im only up to this bixlow guy and hes just a mess of colours and design
id like to see how he looked in the manga

Ultimadrago

Mysterious Girlfriend 13 [END]

I wasn't really feeling this episode for a finale. Though for a show of this nature, I guess the best bet for a "grand finale" would be a threesome including Oka. Anyways, overall nice series, the highs were never too high, but I never had to deal with hair-pulling lows either. It was quite the definition of "balanced", tipping more so on the pleasant side.

Hirai Hisashi. Beside what's already been mentioned, Soukyuu no Fafner, s-CRY-ed, Gin-iro no Olynsis, and Mugen no Ryvius all bear his character designs.

S-cry-ed? Damn, I didn't even realize until I went back to look at the characters again.

even the canon ones look like deviant art fan made designs
im only up to this bixlow guy and hes just a mess of colours and design
id like to see how he looked in the manga

Pretty much the same, but without color.

Uchip

Banned
well it looks a lot better in black and white...
now the girly guy with lightning bolt hair is doomed to looks stupid

Makoto

Tari Tari 1

This school is LOADED.

A very pleasing first episode. I didn't know what to do expect as I hadn't read a synopsis, but those 20-something minutes did not involve me pausing in the middle to take a proverbial commercial break, which is always a good sign. It also got a chuckle out of me in the form of the new guy readjusting to life in Japan. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Jex

Hyouka 11

Well, this generally went exactly as I expected. The topic is an element that's not worth attention :
the rope, when the play already went well
and Oreki confronting the
(quite obvious) manipulation towards the production's end results
.In any case, this is not what I have the most problems with. Even with a change of venue here and filter there for shifting the visual pace of Hyouka, the source material's blandness still exudes. At best, Oreki learned not to, rely on
other's sweet words
in order to give him confidence in his own abilities.

I am presuming the central point was just as much about Oreki's vulnerability as it was on the actual mystery for this episode. It didn't make it any less of a flat ride, though it did at least give more towards Oreki's character.
Is that a really long winded way of saying that it's still boring?

Jex

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 1

Living in the decline of humanity may seem like a pleasant, pastoral existence on the surface.

But alas, this is merely a facade to conceal the evils of material culture and the hubris of science that brought the species to this low point.

Genetic engineering. Artificial manufacturing. It all feeds the endless, unescapable cycle of bloodshed.

hs6pK.gif

We would do well to heed these cautions before it is too late - for the bread, and for the human race.

In short: This show is a bizarre cross between relaxing slice-of-life and WTF? At least for now, it works.
Even reading this review through twice I am not sure that I actually want to check that show out.

Jex

Good Lord. That's the 12th title Sentai has announced this weekend right? Aren't they countersuing FUNi for being a monopoly in the anime industry? Lol.

It doesn't seem like licensing ever show under the sun is a great idea anyway, especially based on prices we know these companies get charged to license.

Narag

It's a show everyone should see. No show has ever been such a fantastic train wreck of bad idea after bad idea. It's spectacular as it goes down in flames. Should be on AnimeGAF's must see list.

yeah, it should just for those final four episodes. wtf doesn't do it justice.

Soma

Hyouka 11

Poor Houtarou.
He gets played by some chick and he's got his friends on his ass for getting something wrong.

At the end of the last episode I had a feeling this was more or less the case of what really happened, but it was presented really well. The directing did an excellent job at portraying the emotions and drama of this episode but it never felt over-exaggerated. I mean yeah, when it comes down to it, this whole situation is all over a silly movie, but nobody likes to feel manipulated. The callback to the Arcana conversation was an interesting touch as well. Pretty great ending to this arc though I didn't enjoy as much as the other one.

Dresden

jinrui wa suitai shimashita - 01

Odd show. A bucolic setting, with a laconic pace that belies the surrealness of the world.

I like the Mediator girl. The writing sometimes gets a bit too heavy handed with the worldbuilding, but it's been mostly amusing so far. It'll have to keep up if the rest of the episodes are as narration-heavy as this one.

I don't like the shading they layered onto everything. It's not Mine Fujiko-bad, but it's still distracting. Otherwise the art is good, if a bit bland; nice use of colors, but they at times look a bit washed out, lacking the kind of vibrancy I saw earlier in something like, say, tsuritama. A part of me wonders if this is some redemptive effort from the P4 dudes.

I enjoyed the ep, will keep watching, for now.

y2FBCl.jpg

That fucking chicken, man.

Enron

Banned
Hyouka 11 fucking sucks. 9 and 10 weren't so hot either except for <redacted>. This arc blows. This show is about nothing, but at least I like the characters....but now the story is going from inoffensive to "oh fuck off." feels bad man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom